Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 869 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84693Likes

Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
JVC Autocal Zip file download complete,

Do I need a Spyder 5 in order to use the Autocal software?
I wasn't intending to do a full AutoCal calibration...just want to use it to load Manni's gamma curves.

I notice the AutoCal download prompts you to select the correct version to match your meter being used.

Looks like I've already hit a road block

That last line may have killed my plans for running a new gamma curve.

Why is Nothing ever easy with these things?
Cant JVC just fix the stupid broken Gamma D with a FW update? It's been out for two years right?
... surely you don't need a Spyder 5 to download a FW update, right?
You dont need a meter to open the app or to upload a custom gamma file.
PioManiac likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3180 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
You dont need a meter to open the app or to upload a custom gamma file.
Good to Go then, installed and ready to roll

No idea what to do next so I Guess I'm off the to AutoCal thread next,

Thanks Javs

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Ah, I see now....I don't have any custom gamma curves loaded yet.
That would be a pain to have to reload every time you hit pause.

I'm not sure if mine is a 2017 model, but it did ship with the BT.2020 profile pre-loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
When you have a custom user mode set up for HDR/BT2020 and manually go to that setting when playing a UHD movie, the Gamma under that user mode will always default to Gamma D vs. Custom 1/2/3. It can be changed manually once movie plays but even simple actions like pausing the movie for a bit can force back Gamma D.

HDFury does an excellent job preventing this from happening. Now all I do is select the HDR/BT2020 user mode and my Gamma 1 Custom HDR curve is always the default. + enables the DI which worked excellent when watching Alien Convenant HDR the other night.
Regarding reverting to Gamma D when playing/pausing UHD BD's:

I have the Philips BDP-7501 which generally doesn't get much love around here, but for whatever it's worth, I can pause as often as needed without having to reset to my Custom Gamma. I wait until I've actually started the movie before switching to my Custom Gamma, but once that's done, I don't have to switch it again while playing the movie.

Just a data point relative to this discussion.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Hey folks...

Remember back a few years ago there was the "cleaning the bulb mirror/glass" tweak? I forget the precise details, but it involved taking out the bulb and clearing up a sort of foggy residue that had built up on the mirror (or glass) near the bulb, bringing gains in bulb brightness.

Do we still have to do that? Or was that just for a particular bulb, or projector at the time?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

I have the Philips BDP-7501 which generally doesn't get much love around here, but for whatever it's worth, I can pause as often as needed without having to reset to my Custom Gamma. I wait until I've actually started the movie before switching to my Custom Gamma, but once that's done, I don't have to switch it again while playing the movie.

I don't think pausing initiates the gamma D reversion, as it does not break the HDMI handshake. Stopping the movie and changing HDMI input definitely will though.
nathan_h and Jive Turkey like this.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Hey folks...

Remember back a few years ago there was the "cleaning the bulb mirror/glass" tweak? I forget the precise details, but it involved taking out the bulb and clearing up a sort of foggy residue that had built up on the mirror (or glass) near the bulb, bringing gains in bulb brightness.

Do we still have to do that? Or was that just for a particular bulb, or projector at the time?

This was my RS55 a few years ago after only 300 hours. It was easy enough to clean at the time

I just checked my original RS600 lamp at almost 700 hours and it's nice and clean so I don't see any evidence of that issue with these new lamps.

rboster, nathan_h and Manni01 like this.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ugh, the new windows update automatically outputs hdr all the time. I can't revert the settings back to original (hdr off) because the time it takes to refresh the screen causes the prompt to time out. any ideas?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
ugh, the new windows update automatically outputs hdr all the time. I can't revert the settings back to original (hdr off) because the time it takes to refresh the screen causes the prompt to time out. any ideas?
Hit tab then enter.

Just tested it. It should select 'Keep Settings' when you do that.

Tab twice will get you to 'Revert'
nathan_h and davisnub like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I don't think pausing initiates the gamma D reversion, as it does not break the HDMI handshake. Stopping the movie and changing HDMI input definitely will though.
Agreed. I just posted since some were apparently seeing reversion to Gamma D even with just pausing the movie without changing inputs, or doing anything else. That could be a function of how the pause function is implemented in different UHD players.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
You won't, just remember to save that all-important INIT file that is generated after you run your first autocal session
That's only for running an actual AutoCal color/gamma calibration with a Spyder 5, correct?
I think if I'm just loading one of Manni's custom gamma curves all I need to do is use the AutoCal Import button.

If I'm reading the instructions correctly all I need to do his run a LAN connection from my laptop to the JVC
Turn on AutoCal, set up the connection in the settings menu, then selecting "gamma" from the pull down menu
after hitting the import/export button.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...e_en_v1_00.pdf

I've got AutoCal on my laptop now, have the LAN cable ready to connect,
Down loaded and unzipped a couple of Manni's curves (JGD files) from 09-03-2017 to try.
...and Lovingdvd's files for Bright Medium Dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I've updated the first post of the JVC Autocal thread adding a few links to this thread in the gamma section and the HDR section, and I've made my profile available.

To import it, simply go to the import/export option in the main menu of the JVC Autocal software, select gamma profile, select one of the three custom gamma settings and import the file.

On the JVC, select the same custom gamma, and select import as the gamma curve. That should do it. [EDIT: as mentioned earlier, the usual settings (picture tone, dark gamma, bright gamma) are locked when using a custom curve, so all will stay at zero and greyed out. This is normal].
If it's really as easy as it sounds, I've got a LOT of 4K's to re-watch over the next few months
I'm almost tempted to cancel my Vertex pre-order for November and just get the Linker ASAP.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Hey folks...

That was due to off gassing of the plastic. Has not been an issue in several years.
R Harkness likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
When I'm watching a 1080p/BT.709 bluray, I use my 2D Low setting
(as per Zombies setup guidelines)

When I remove the Bluray disc and insert a 4K/UHD HDR disc, the JVC stays in my 2D Low memory slot
until I manually load my custom 4K HDR slot with BT.2020 Gamma D or 4K/SDR memory slot with BT.2020
and Gamma set the same as my 2D Low with Custom Gamma 2.3

I think I misunderstood those that say Gamma D auto loads on its own by default.
Perhaps it only goes to Gamma D after they select a custom HDR gamma curve?
Without a linker, whenever the projector detects an HDR signal, it will switch to Gamma D. You can change it manually to whatever you want after that, but it will always auto switch.

The only ways to avoid that are:
  • Disable HDR with a Linker/Vertex
  • Trick the player into HDR->SDR conversion with an EDID change (Linker/Vertex/Integral)
  • Turn HDR off in the player (HDR->SDR Rec.709)

On top of that, they don't automatically switch to Rec.2020, so even though the Gamma auto switches you still have to manually switch the color profile, easiest way is with a HDR/Rec.2020 profile.

The 2017 models (RSx20/Xx70) work very similar, except they switch to an HDR picture preset which defaults to the new ST.2084 EOTF (much, much better than gamma D) and Rec.2020.

All still disable the DI, other than the RS4500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

I don't think I ever saw it go back during a pause, but it was kind of like playing whack-a-mole, because you never were really sure when it would decide to switch back. It was usually fine for a whole movie I think. I'm not really sure, I've had a Linker since the minute it was confirmed it gave us our DI back.
nathan_h likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
JVC Autocal Zip file download complete,

Do I need a Spyder 5 in order to use the Autocal software?
I wasn't intending to do a full AutoCal calibration...just want to use it to load Manni's gamma curves.

I notice the AutoCal download prompts you to select the correct version to match your meter being used.

Looks like I've already hit a road block

That last line may have killed my plans for running a new gamma curve.

Why is Nothing ever easy with these things?
Cant JVC just fix the stupid broken Gamma D with a FW update? It's been out for two years right?
... surely you don't need a Spyder 5 to download a FW update, right?
I bought a new Spyder 5 Express so that Chad could provide the corrective offsets for my meter when he was here. Chad said that I should never run Autocal after he has put in the custom curves. He said the chances of me getting the Spyder in exactly the same place as he put his when using autocal to insert the custom curves was diminishingly small and I'd probably mess up what he did. I'll be listing my NIB Spyder 5 in the classifieds for $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010278.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	595.4 KB
ID:	2270046  

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I don't think I ever saw it go back during a pause, but it was kind of like playing whack-a-mole, because you never were really sure when it would decide to switch back. It was usually fine for a whole movie I think. I'm not really sure, I've had a Linker since the minute it was confirmed it gave us our DI back.
I remember now, it wasn't pause, it was the Universal Studios screensaver for some reason that would cause my setup to swap back to Gamma D. The linker has been hooked up for ages.

I pre-ordered the vertex and will have to stop at their thread to see how testing is going. I believe Manni is testing for them now.
nathan_h likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Well custom gamma curve install went pretty smooth,

I used Manni's 800-335-4000 (Black=77) curve and it looks Fantastic!

Feels like I'm looking at a 120" OLED

Pause and chapter search does not revert back to Gamma D, only changing the Disc to another movie.

Just waiting patiently for my Vertex now.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 5420
Quote:
I remember now, it wasn't pause, it was the Universal Studios screensaver for some reason that would cause my setup to swap back to Gamma D. The linker has been hooked up for ages.

I pre-ordered the vertex and will have to stop at their thread to see how testing is going. I believe Manni is testing for them now.
I had gamma D reverting with pause (I think, like you it's been a long time since the linker solved this). Especially annoying when using patterns, as it would go away every single time.

Yes I'm testing the Vertex and you won't be disappointed. It's an enthusiast dream come true, and HD Fury is implementing many suggestions to make it even better by the time it's released. I doubt you will regret your upgrade
zombie10k and Rengozu like this.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Again Manni!

BTW, Low Lamp mode works just fine for me.

Short 12' Throw, screen is 1.3 Gain 120"
...just checked my bulb hours an its at 692 H
(already have a spare that came with my JVC)
Manni01 likes this.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I had gamma D reverting with pause (I think, like you it's been a long time since the linker solved this). Especially annoying when using patterns, as it would go away every single time.

Yes I'm testing the Vertex and you won't be disappointed. It's an enthusiast dream come true, and HD Fury is implementing many suggestions to make it even better by the time it's released. I doubt you will regret your upgrade

thanks Manni for testing and providing feedback, it's going to make it better for everyone once it's released.

The work you did on the custom curves, Arve's tool and the HDFury were like a dream come true for the 2016 models. All content now looks great now and plenty patient to wait until the next big thing. I can't give up this native in a velvet room so hoping JVC brings the UHD panels + contrast we are used to in fall 2018.

Quote:
Thanks Again Manni!

good job getting the curve installed, it should look noticeably better than Gamma D. Check out Lucy in UHD HDR if you don't already have it.
Manni01 likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Thanks Again Manni!

You can get it even more custom by using the Arve tool...it only gets better! 😀

Nice to see you have come around to hdr on the pj...I did extensive testing on a 1400 nit 78" Sammi tv vs my x950 and all and all, the pj held up juuuuust fine...Spyder 5 and Autocal are next on my list...thanks to all for their help and support!
Manni01 likes this.

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

good job getting the curve installed, it should look noticeably better than Gamma D. Check out Lucy in UHD HDR if you don't already have it.
Lucy was one of my first purchases, and is on deck after Prometheus and Alien Covenant,
Also Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman ...Marathon Weekend for sure!

(I've got about 60 more 4K's to re-spin)

Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Quote:
This was my RS55 a few years ago after only 300 hours. It was easy enough to clean at the time

I just checked my original RS600 lamp at almost 700 hours and it's nice and clean so I don't see any evidence of that issue with these new lamps.

Thanks Zombie, that's super helpful !!

It's good to know especially because my projector is right up against a rear wall (bay window actually) and accessing the bulb is quite difficult.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What do you set the color space and bit depth to for UHD discs? I currently have it set to 12 bit 4:4:4. Should I change it to 10 bit 4:2:2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightivity View Post
Two question regarding Dynamic Iris, out of curiosity:

1. HDR: I've understood through this thread that DI is a no-go in combination with HDR and custom gamma, though I have not really understood the underlying reason. I'm speculating it affects and makes it difficult to control contrast, brightness etc. is that it?

2. HD: I have calibrated with iris 0 and then closed it down to -11 to get a balanced light output in my room. What would happen if I turned on DI instead?
You can have the Dynamic Iris working with HDR by using the HDFury Linker by the way.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post

Originally Posted by Lightivity
1. HDR: I've understood through this thread that DI is a no-go in combination with HDR and custom gamma, though I have not really understood the underlying reason. I'm speculating it affects and makes it difficult to control contrast, brightness etc. is that it?

Originally Posted by srinivas1015
You can have the Dynamic Iris working with HDR by using the HDFury Linker by the way.
This question regarding Dynamic Iris usage keeps coming up. I think its time we had a poll. SDR only / SDR and HDR / Never. Perhaps someone knows how to create a real forum poll unless that needs a new separate Poll thread.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Old 08-19-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
This question regarding Dynamic Iris usage keeps coming up. I think its time we had a poll. SDR only / SDR and HDR / Never. Perhaps someone knows how to create a real forum poll unless that needs a new separate Poll thread.
Currently testing this out right now too (so currently HDR and SDR option).

Currently at 1450 hours on original. bulb on my X750R, and performed a full calibration recently.
I also have a 2.35 scope screen, so I actually calibrate for each picture setting in two sizes (138" scope and ~110" 16:9).

For HD:
At 2.35:1 my iris is -6 and gets me 19.33ftL
At 16:9 my iris is at -8 and gets me 14.5ftL

For SDR UHD (low lamp):
Contrast & brightness in both the JVC and may Oppo 203 are set 0s.
At 2.35:1 my iris needs to be at 0 and gets me 84.8 nits.

For HDR UHD (high lamp):
Contrast & brightness in both the JVC and may Oppo 203 are set 0s.
At 2:35:1, I left my iris at -4 which gets me 107 nits.

My next steps are to use the speed method to create a custom curve with Arve's wip branch tool.

Few questions:

1. I have Deadpool, Planet Earth II and Aliens Convenant UHD disks. Any suggestions on which scenes to use with the speed method for the custom curves to adjust on given my nits available?

2. Spears & Munsil BR calibration disk question:
When I initially calibrated contrast and brightness for HD material, I used the Spears and Munsil Blu Ray disk (used the Masciola patterns for the setting the same for UHD). However, in order to get contrast pattern on the S&M disk to show the little darker boxes within the larger boxes, I had to set my contrast to -6. Now the picture on those modes seems to lack punch. is this truly the right way to use that pattern (as per it's instructions), or should I ignore trying to get those little boxes within to show? Because if I ignore it my contrast setting would be more like +2.

3. How many more nits do you think I would gain by swapping in a new bulb at this point?

For the UHD modes, I'd have to say I actually like the SDR more, as the HDR mode seems to crush blacks for some reason.
This is with using an old Custom 1 Arve's tool curve I had stored in there (not Gamma D). However, I created any new curves with the speed method under this calibration. Planning to do that next.

Last edited by Sittler27; 08-19-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I was previously having issues with my new Linker in getting a stable HDMI, but this seems to have been eliminated by moving the Linker between my AVR & Oppo 203.

Assuming this is true, what benefit would there be in swapping out my 35' Monoprice Cabernet cable with a fiber optic one?

Aren't I better off waiting until another issue arises where I need a better cable?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Can I remote control the JVC X7000 also through the Ethernet or only through the serial RS232 input? I am not talking about an official app but a home network solution.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Can I remote control the JVC X7000 also through the Ethernet or only through the serial RS232 input? I am not talking about an official app but a home network solution.
You can control it/calibrate it through ethernet. I use ethernet for Autocal/Arve's Tool and iRule as well as a few other software (MyMovies on PC and iPad) to control it through ethernet. Works great.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Black screen when BD player and RS500 are turned on

Guys, I've read many posts regarding jvc sync times and wanted to verify whether my issue is related. Far too often, about 90% of the time, when I'd turn on my pj (rs500) and BD player (Sony UBP-X800) I'd get a black screen instead of the X800 home menu screen. This absolutely frustrated the hell out of me I'm able to watch movies because I noticed that the BD disc is selected by default and all I have to do is select enter and that starts the movie. But, I can't use any of the apps on the home screen. If I hit the power button on the X800 remote off then on, the menu would flash for a half second then back to black screen. I noticed that while the black screen is occurring, the jvc says the source is 4k(3840)60 even though I manually selected 24Hz in the setup menu. I purchased a Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI repeater [email protected] to see if that would help but I can't get anything to pass with it in the loop. I also tried a another hdmi cable (25ft Monoprice), but no change. Yesterday I lucked up and found a workaround to the black screen no menu issue. If I disconnect and reconnect the cable between the pj and player while everything is turned on (I know that's forbidden) I finally get the menu To ensure this was not a fluke, I verified several times with success. Sony blames JVC and JVC blames Sony Obviously I have to deal with it, but just wondering if anyone has a better solution for this issue.

Last edited by johnson636; 08-20-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Guys, I've read many posts regarding jvc sync times and wanted to verify whether my issue is related. Far too often, about 90% of the time, when I'd turn on my pj (rs500) and BD player (Sony UBP-X800) I'd get a black screen instead of the X800 home menu screen. This absolutely frustrated the hell out of me I'm able to watch movies because I noticed that the BD disc is selected by default and all I have to do is select enter and that starts the movie. But, I can't use any of the apps on the home screen. If I hit the power button on the X800 remote off then on, the menu would flash for a half second then back to black screen. I noticed that while the black screen is occurring, the jvc says the source is 4k(2160)60 even though I manually selected 24Hz in the setup menu. I purchased a Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI repeater [email protected] to see if that would help but I can't get anything to pass with it in the loop. I also tried a another hdmi cable (25ft Monoprice), but no change. Yesterday I lucked up and found a workaround to the black screen no menu issue. If I disconnect and reconnect the cable between the pj and player while everything is turned on (I know that's forbidden) I finally get the menu To ensure this was not a fluke, I verified several times with success. Sony blames JVC and JVC blames Sony Obviously I have to deal with it, but just wondering if anyone has a better solution for this issue.
Is there an option in the Sony to FORCE 4k resolution NOT "Auto"...if there is, choose 4k resolution and see if that fixes the issue...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
Old 08-20-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Is there an option in the Sony to FORCE 4k resolution NOT "Auto"...if there is, choose 4k resolution and see if that fixes the issue...
I'll try that. But wouldn't that result in the player upscaling 1080p to 4k? I thought I read that it was best to let the jvc do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600