Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 872 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84694Likes

post #26131 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3184 Post(s)
Liked: 7779
My Panasonic UB900 has been a rock solid performer for 4K/UHD HDR
and HDR->SDR BT.2020 conversion (with HDFury Integral) since August 2016.
...it also does an amazing job upscaling 1080p Bluray to 4K on the JVC.

The only thing the Oppo offers over all others (to me) is Dolby Vision support,
Which does absolutely nothing for Projector owners, however I may consider getting one at some point for my OLED

Dolby Vision is quite stunning through the 4K Netflix app on my OLED.
but so far there's only 3-4 4K/UHD movies on disc with DV but I'm sure there's more on the way.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26132 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3762 Post(s)
Liked: 6421
The UB900 has been great for me as well. I have had one disc with playback issues with the 900 (Underworld Awakenings UHD) that played flawless with the 205, but that has been the only case.

For projector owners that use the zoom method for scope screens the Oppo would be a MUCH better pick. They are going to be updating their players with a 21:9 mode that allows for cropping for 21:9 as well as instant scaling for a 16x9 picture within the 21:9 frame. Makes menus and such a snap. Will also have modes for those using A-lenses either fixed in place or that move in and out. Needless to say, massive improvement for those that use these types of things.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #26133 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
They are going to be updating their players with a 21:9 mode that allows for cropping for 21:9 as well as instant scaling for a 16x9 picture within the 21:9 frame. Makes menus and such a snap.
Kris:

I think I follow relative to instant scaling for 16x9 image....meaning one can see the blu ray menu (without the play button etc off the screen while zooming on a 2.35 screen).

Interested in your comment about 21.9 mode for cropping? Not sure I follow what this feature does?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26134 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Kris:

I think I follow relative to instant scaling for 16x9 image....meaning one can see the blu ray menu (without the play button etc off the screen while zooming on a 2.35 screen).

Interested in your comment about 21.9 mode for cropping? Not sure I follow what this feature does?

Ron
Scope screens are typically achieved one of three ways; zoomed (cropped as you are zooming the image bigger than the screen), fixed A-lens, or movable A-lens. For zoomed/cropped, the player crops the image outside your screen (makes it black so you don't get stuff outside the frame area) without the need to do this in the projector or with a video processor. Then you just push the zoom button on the remote and it bounces to a 16x9 image in that 21:9 area for menus or watching 16x9 content if you don't want to change the zoom and don't care about scaling or an unscaled image with no crop for your different zoom position.
rboster, Tom Bley and Manni01 like this.

post #26135 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Scope screens are typically achieved one of three ways; zoomed (cropped as you are zooming the image bigger than the screen), fixed A-lens, or movable A-lens. For zoomed/cropped, the player crops the image outside your screen (makes it black so you don't get stuff outside the frame area) without the need to do this in the projector or with a video processor. Then you just push the zoom button on the remote and it bounces to a 16x9 image in that 21:9 area for menus or watching 16x9 content if you don't want to change the zoom and don't care about scaling or an unscaled image with no crop for your different zoom position.
Just like my former lumagen.....makes sense.

As I said, right now I use zoom method for my scope screen (former A-lens owner)....

is there a PQ benefit using the 21.9 OPPO feature vs zooming the scope image out via the JVC? Would brightness be better using the 21.9 feature vs zooming? Never thought to ask these questions before. Kind of feel like the guy who didn't bother to remember the new person's name at work....six month's later it's too embarrassing to ask
krichter1 likes this.
post #26136 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:

As I said, right now I use zoom method for my scope screen (former A-lens owner)....

is there a PQ benefit using the 21.9 OPPO feature vs zooming the scope image out via the JVC? Would brightness be better using the 21.9 feature vs zooming? Never thought to ask these questions before. Kind of feel like the guy who didn't bother to remember the new person's name at work....six month's later it's too embarrassing to ask
I am also curious about this and don't know the answer.
post #26137 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I was surprised to hear this as well..

Hopefully...FINGERS CROSSED....I won't need this feature after next month(when Chad comes back)and I get an updated HDR calibration.

I am still rocking the Panasonic player, but might jump ship to the OPPO.
Not needed for me AC (after Chad), but I still needed the Linker to prevent Gamma D from kicking in and to keep DI.
COACH2369 likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #26138 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Think you misunderstood. You are still zooming out with the JVC. You're just telling the Oppo that you are zoomed so it makes the menus fit the 21:9 aspect you now have and it crops the image so no overshoot (just black). And because it knows your aspect now, it allows you to have instant 16x9 image without having to zoom back so you can see menus or even watch content that way if you want. So still zoomed out, player just making it easier to use this method without an outboard video processor.
rboster, Tom Bley and krichter1 like this.

post #26139 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
The UB900 has been great for me as well. I have had one disc with playback issues with the 900 (Underworld Awakenings UHD) that played flawless with the 205, but that has been the only case.

For projector owners that use the zoom method for scope screens the Oppo would be a MUCH better pick. They are going to be updating their players with a 21:9 mode that allows for cropping for 21:9 as well as instant scaling for a 16x9 picture within the 21:9 frame. Makes menus and such a snap. Will also have modes for those using A-lenses either fixed in place or that move in and out. Needless to say, massive improvement for those that use these types of things.
I've also been told they are re-focusing their efforts to improve the SDR + 2020 ('Strip Metadata') feature now that Dolby Vision has been released which consumed more of their efforts for a while.
post #26140 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I've also been told they are re-focusing their efforts to improve the SDR + 2020 ('Strip Metadata') feature now that Dolby Vision has been released which consumed more of their efforts for a while.
The SDR+2020 is essentially their own tone map which overlays your standard gamma. The important thing there would be to know what gamma they are working with (2.2, 2.4?) so that you are working with the same base they are assuming.
krichter1 and DavidHir like this.

post #26141 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Think you misunderstood. You are still zooming out with the JVC. You're just telling the Oppo that you are zoomed so it makes the menus fit the 21:9 aspect you now have and it crops the image so no overshoot (just black). And because it knows your aspect now, it allows you to have instant 16x9 image without having to zoom back so you can see menus or even watch content that way if you want. So still zoomed out, player just making it easier to use this method without an outboard video processor.
Less wear and tear on the JVC motor as well for zoomers.
Tom Bley likes this.
post #26142 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Less wear and tear on the JVC motor as well for zoomers.
Thanks guys for the clarification.
post #26143 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
SHOCKED actually (and disappointed), that Oppo hasn't fixed this yet. I could this from a huge OEM like JVC... Panasonic... but Oppo has always prided themselves on "cut above" video quality. Must be a case where not a whole lot of people are using this (or complaining about it).
One less complainer here. Sold my Oppo 203 over the weekend and just missed FedEx today for delivery of my UB900.

Can't wait to try out the dynamic range slider or might just roll SDR2020. Picked up these 3 to test it out

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 6.29.00 PM.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  113.0 KB

@zombie10k sent you a PM brother, can you point me in the right direction for UB900 settings for HDR and SDR2020? My searches came up empty.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #26144 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Spatial Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
If you're talking about HDR then unlike the K8500's BS'n around with the old +7/+3 yaddayaddayadda... the Oppo doesn't need any of that so it should be fairly plugNplay. I assume you already have the BT.2020 profile loaded for HDR/SDR so if you're not up to speed on using the custom Arve/Manni gammas (or an HD Linker), then I'm sorry to tell you that GammaD's shortcomings won't look too much better on the Oppo than what you were used to seeing on the Sammy.

Your real golden ticket to good HDR is going to be your willingness to either read up on the Arve tool gamma creation process and get yourself an HDFury Linker, or hire a qualified calibrator to get all this working for you (OR play around w/ the "Strip HDR" function of the Oppo so you can watch your 4K's in SDR BT.2020; which would be my recommendation at minimum if you can't do the above work). Unless you have a setup like Manni where you have plenty of headroom well over 100+ Nits then the Oppo's greatest feature for you will be playing around with its "Strip" function (but that to has it's flaws where it can't resolve to .05% black sweet spot).
Very helpful info... Yes, I have the BT.2020 profile loaded, but no custom gamma. I have the Linker, but, just as I was starting to get the Oppo integrated into the system, the Linker broke (power connector problems), and I have sent it back for replacement. I wouldn't expect to get it back for a couple of weeks, at the minimum.

I am guessing that, theoretically-speaking, I am working with something on the order of 110-120 nits... I base this on the fact that my screen is 88" x 50" (2.84 sq m) along with the following calculations:

1300 lumens / 2.84 sq m ==> 457.7 lux / 3.1416 ==> 145.7 nits * .8 screen gain ==> 116.6 nits

(Is that even correct? I seem to recall measuring something in that vicinity, but that was a year ago.)

I have been experimenting on the Oppo with HDR as well as disabled and stripped HDR. While the 'D' curve looks right, the results are just too dark, overall, for enjoyment. And, oddly, turning on high-lamp mode makes it bright enough, but then it looks wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yes @swest the question is impossible to answer without more data.

Do you have a custom gamma for hdr, or not. Do you have the rec2020 profile? Did you ever upgrade the firmware?

What settings were you using on the Samsung for UHD disks? What settings on the JVC?

Do you know how to use the autocal tool? Are you a tinkerer? Do you use a professional to calibrate? What light output can your setup achieve? Do you use a HD Fury device? Etc.

I could say: At the very least, using the sdr2020 output on the Oppo -- strip metadata -- while imperfect will probably be an improvement over gamma D.

But that makes a lot of assumptions about you and your setup. If you post more data, I suspect some folks here could guide you.
Thanks for that guidance...

Here are the principle components in the chain:

UDP-203 -> Marantz 8802a -> [HDfury] -> RS600 -> Screen Acoustics:V6 (~50" x ~88" => ~100" diagonal) AT screen (.8 gain)

I have both the Integral and the Linker. Although, as I mentioned, the Linker is out of commission for a couple of weeks (at least).

I haven't checked the firmware (I assumed you were talking about the RS600) lately, but I did upgrade it early on, and went through the autocal steps. Also, as I mentioned, I acquired the BT.2020 profile, and followed the other steps Manni outlined...

So, yes, I don't mind the tinkering too much, as I have done it before, but I have a lot of demands on my time, and I get frustrated with a moving target... if you take my meaning. And I'm not just referring to the fact that I swapped out the Samsung for the Oppo. Anyway, I have a Spyder 4 Elite (not calibrated), and a CA811 lux meter.

If there is a way to experience HDR with this setup, then I'll go through the steps. But, if not, then I would prefer to just cut my losses, as it were, and do whatever it takes, as perceived by the greatest number of experimenters, to get the best compromise possible. I hope that makes sense. I'm just hoping that there is a, generally regarded, right answer.

I suppose I could ask a calibrator to come in... if HDR is possible with this setup, when properly calibrated, then it might be worth it. Especially if it is likely to be beyond my own capabilities. I'm in the Phoenix area. I don't know who works this region (of those that are thought of highly on this forum).

Thanks, again.

- s.west

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"
post #26145 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Spatial Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Unlike I had to do with the Samsung K8500, you can leave all the Oppo video and audio settings at Auto.

And no need to adjust brightness and contrast if you use the Arve JVC Tool to create and load a custom gamma for HDR. Otherwise, with Gamma D you will have to search the forum for any Contrast/Brightness suggestions since I and most everyone else has moved on from Gamma D. I can't recall what I used.

With regard to the the Oppo "Strip Metadata" option to convert HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020, it has an issue where it is crushing black. No idea when Oppo will address this. I never watch SDR BT.2020 any more after loading a custom HDR gamma so it doesn't much matter to me if they ever fix it.

By the way, I was doing some testing with my Samsung player and I was shocked at how loud the disc mechanism is when playing a UHD disc. My Oppo is pretty much silent.
I am only now becoming acquainted with the fact that some are creating their own Gamma curves with 'Arve'. And I didn't realize that the Arve tool is a JVC tool... is that correct? Is it acquired from the JVC support site?

Your comment about Gamma D is also helpful, given what I have seen in the last few days.

Thanks for the comments, they are helpful.

- s.west

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"
post #26146 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
One less complainer here. Sold my Oppo 203 over the weekend and just missed FedEx today for delivery of my UB900.

Can't wait to try out the dynamic range slider or might just roll SDR2020. Picked up these 3 to test it out

@zombie10k sent you a PM brother, can you point me in the right direction for UB900 settings for HDR and SDR2020? My searches came up empty.

nice line up of movies! sorry I missed the PM. I don't recall do you have any of the custom HDR gamma curves set up on your JVC? My UB900 settings are basically all factory when I use the UB900 -> HDFury Linker -> RS600 + HDR gamma curve.
post #26147 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Quoted: 3184 Post(s)
Liked: 7779
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post
I am only now becoming acquainted with the fact that some are creating their own Gamma curves with 'Arve'. And I didn't realize that the Arve tool is a JVC tool... is that correct? Is it acquired from the JVC support site?

Your comment about Gamma D is also helpful, given what I have seen in the last few days.

- s.west
If you are already familiar with AutoCal,

Based on your screen size you could simply import Manni's custom curve 800-335-4000 using AutoCal
I just did it on the weekend (after stalling for EVER) and its so simple its scary.
The results were fantastic over Gamma D for my setup.

Spoiler!

HDR Looks almost as good as my 65" OLED now
Spoiler!

800-335-4000 Curve here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post52293025

If that one doesn't work for you, there's lots of others on the first page to try.

My post on the last page of the JVC calibration thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...-rs600-70.html
RonF and Manni01 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #26148 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
nice line up of movies! sorry I missed the PM. I don't recall do you have any of the custom HDR gamma curves set up on your JVC? My UB900 settings are basically all factory when I use the UB900 -> HDFury Linker -> RS600 + HDR gamma curve.
Ah no worries sir, I don't always see them either. I have a ChadB curve and profile for 2D,3D,SDR2020, and HDR ... LOL So I think I just answered my own question which is to keep everything flat and maybe tweak the dynamic range slider for HDR?

I'm only working with 50 nits on my screen with the RS600 in high lamp -0. I'm going to give HDR another shot and bump the dynamic range, but figure sdr2020 is worthy compromise as well.

post #26149 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Ah no worries sir, I don't always see them either. I have a ChadB curve and profile for 2D,3D,SDR2020, and HDR ... LOL So I think I just answered my own question which is to keep everything flat and maybe tweak the dynamic range slider for HDR?

I'm only working with 50 nits on my screen with the RS600 in high lamp -0. I'm going to give HDR another shot and bump the dynamic range, but figure sdr2020 is worthy compromise as well.

ahh ok now I recall. definitely take a look at the slider and also the sharpness settings as well. I'll post those later when I fire up the JVC. Now kevin is going to make me watch GOG2 in UHD after already seeing it in 3D..
post #26150 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 05:53 PM

@sonichart and @krichter1

Shout out to my fellow AVS members in/near Chicago. Dropping my son off next week to start his Freshman year in downtown Chicago. He's very excited to start the next chapter in his life.

Ron
post #26151 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Shout out to my fellow AVS members in/near Chicago. Dropping my son off next week to start his Freshman year in downtown Chicago. He's very excited to start the next chapter in his life.

Ron
Thanks Ron!! Right back at ya! That cable is still working great btw

Sounds like a trip to UIC, Roosevelt, or Columbia college -- Given your passion for movies, I'll guess Columbia??
rboster likes this.

post #26152 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ron!! Right back at ya! That cable is still working great btw

Sounds like a trip to UIC, Roosevelt, or Columbia college -- Given your passion for movies, I'll guess Columbia??

Nailed it. We were down to three, Drexel university, DePaul and Columbia. We spent consecutive Fridays at DePaul and Columbia for back to back accepted student days.....he chose Columbia. I think part of his decision was the fact he went their High School summer program last year.

And, you are two for two....his major will be TV and Cinema Arts. In fact, he got together this summer for a ten day shoot in North Carolina to film a script he wrote with another freshman Columbia student. He'll have a blast being in Chicago and studying for something he loves.

Now if he can make a living......
post #26153 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM

@Tom Bley

Tom, I forgot you are in Chicago too.... We certainly love visiting the city. Best of both the Midwest flavor in a large city.
Tom Bley likes this.
post #26154 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I wonder if it might be a problem with the MediaTek chip used. In which case there may be no fix until the next generation Oppo player.
So is it true that if you own an Oppo 203 and have built custom curves with Arve's tool for viewing UHD (especially with Linker too) then that far supersedes what you could achieve with the strip media even if it did work properly?
post #26155 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
That's brilliant! First I heard of it and I have a scope screen.

Is this feature available right now on the Oppo 203?
post #26156 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My UHD4K disc of GOG2 played fine except for chapters 10 and 11, which had unwatchable pixilation, skipping and freezing. No problems on the chapters before and after. My chain is Panasonic UB900>Linker>Marantz AV7702mkII>RS600U with 10 meter Ruipro cable. Billy Lynn plays perfectly at 4K60, so my signal path and cables aren't the problem. No problems with any of my other ~35 UHD 4K titles. I am just assuming I have gotten a bad disc even though there is no visible damage to the disc.
Should I just return it to BB for a replacement or is there something I haven't thought of to try?
Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The BB steelbook has all 3 versions, UHD 2D and 3D BD. BB has been doing great on these exclusive releases that include the 3D version as well.

The 3D is excellent on this title. Studios are clearly doing this on purpose (3D sound on UHD only). Thankfully King Arthur Legend of the Sword had ATMOS on the BD so I now have the 3D title (5.1 only on disk) with ATMOS after a remux on the PC.

post #26157 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
The SDR+2020 is essentially their own tone map which overlays your standard gamma. The important thing there would be to know what gamma they are working with (2.2, 2.4?) so that you are working with the same base they are assuming.

As long as they can get it down to the correct black level I think we could take it from there [make it work]; no? (BTW - welcome "back"... still love your new avatar every time I see it makes me chuckle).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #26158 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Attachment 2271550

Wow... guess I'm all sorts of SHOCKED tonight!

Well... bring that POS over and let's do a Shootout [at the more than OK corral]!
sonichart likes this.

Kevin

post #26159 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ron

You oughta come on over to Naperville one eve if your schedule allows Ron (your always welcome and I'm sure we can get Phil and maybe even Tom to join)!
rboster and sonichart like this.

Kevin

post #26160 of 31987 Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Since you have used the JVC autocal software, I'd recommend starting the whole process by loading one of Manni's gamma curves, as discussed here and in the autocal thread. That will give you a much better hdr picture than gamma D.

Don't strip meta data in the Oppo, don't set the Oppo for SDR, don't use a fury. Keep it simple and see the magical what importing a good hdr gamma curve using the autocal software can do.

---

If you like that, you can then get fancy. The Arve tool is not created by JVC but by, you guessed it, Arve. There is a link to a simple guide in my signature. It will get you very good gamma for hdr --a step better than the premade curves from Manni.

---

Then you can pop in the Linker and not have to worry about gamma d popping up ever again. And you can enable the dynamic iris if you like.

Quote:
Very helpful info... Yes, I have the BT.2020 profile loaded, but no custom gamma. I have the Linker, but, just as I was starting to get the Oppo integrated into the system, the Linker broke (power connector problems), and I have sent it back for replacement. I wouldn't expect to get it back for a couple of weeks, at the minimum.

I am guessing that, theoretically-speaking, I am working with something on the order of 110-120 nits... I base this on the fact that my screen is 88" x 50" (2.84 sq m) along with the following calculations:

1300 lumens / 2.84 sq m ==> 457.7 lux / 3.1416 ==> 145.7 nits * .8 screen gain ==> 116.6 nits

(Is that even correct? I seem to recall measuring something in that vicinity, but that was a year ago.)

I have been experimenting on the Oppo with HDR as well as disabled and stripped HDR. While the 'D' curve looks right, the results are just too dark, overall, for enjoyment. And, oddly, turning on high-lamp mode makes it bright enough, but then it looks wrong...

Thanks for that guidance...

Here are the principle components in the chain:

UDP-203 -> Marantz 8802a -> [HDfury] -> RS600 -> Screen Acoustics:V6 (~50" x ~88" => ~100" diagonal) AT screen (.8 gain)

I have both the Integral and the Linker. Although, as I mentioned, the Linker is out of commission for a couple of weeks (at least).

I haven't checked the firmware (I assumed you were talking about the RS600) lately, but I did upgrade it early on, and went through the autocal steps. Also, as I mentioned, I acquired the BT.2020 profile, and followed the other steps Manni outlined...

So, yes, I don't mind the tinkering too much, as I have done it before, but I have a lot of demands on my time, and I get frustrated with a moving target... if you take my meaning. And I'm not just referring to the fact that I swapped out the Samsung for the Oppo. Anyway, I have a Spyder 4 Elite (not calibrated), and a CA811 lux meter.

If there is a way to experience HDR with this setup, then I'll go through the steps. But, if not, then I would prefer to just cut my losses, as it were, and do whatever it takes, as perceived by the greatest number of experimenters, to get the best compromise possible. I hope that makes sense. I'm just hoping that there is a, generally regarded, right answer.

I suppose I could ask a calibrator to come in... if HDR is possible with this setup, when properly calibrated, then it might be worth it. Especially if it is likely to be beyond my own capabilities. I'm in the Phoenix area. I don't know who works this region (of those that are thought of highly on this forum).

Thanks, again.

- s.west
Quote:

- s.west
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
If you are already familiar with AutoCal,

Based on your screen size you could simply import Manni's custom curve 800-335-4000 using AutoCal
I just did it on the weekend (after stalling for EVER) and its so simple its scary.
The results were fantastic over Gamma D for my setup.

HDR Looks almost as good as my 65" OLED now

800-335-4000 Curve here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post52293025

If that one doesn't work for you, there's lots of others on the first page to try.

My post on the last page of the JVC calibration thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...-rs600-70.html

Last edited by nathan_h; 08-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page