Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 908 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84776Likes

post #27211 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Trying to better understand the benefits besides OSD...given I only use one Arve curve 95% of the time, are there any other benefits that I would use above and beyond my Linker?
If I understand it correctly, you would not need to manually select a different profile/gamma/color space when moving between SDR and HDR content. The projector would jump to the right settings based on the content metadata. (In addition, of course, to doing all the stuff your Linker already does.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27212 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
If I understand it correctly, you would not need to manually select a different profile/gamma/color space when moving between SDR and HDR content. The projector would jump to the right settings based on the content metadata. (In addition, of course, to doing all the stuff your Linker already does.)
Thanks, hmmmmnnn, I only watch 4k hdr high lamp, 95 percent of the time using 1 curve...interesting tho to have the pj auto switch tho depending on Blu Ray or hdr etc...was just wondering as I think the vertex special offer to trade Linker is set to expire...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #27213 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked: 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Cool.

What would be great is if the Kodi iOS app could let me use a keyboard macro, maybe it can, I only scratched the surface last night realising I wanted the Ctl-J OSD shortcut for MadVR to work from my chair, sicne I can use that to pick the right HDR curve, otherwise its a walk to the PC keyboard... Lazy, but still... The vertex wouldnt even help here since I would have to pass through HDR metadata to the display from MadVR and I dont want to do that since it freaks windows out.

I dont use half the features of MadVR in repsect to Aspect ratio changes and the LUT's, one thing I do use is move subtitles into active video area, I have tested them with the Zidoo X8 and they play perfectly and it even conveniently uses a version of Kodi so its all familiar, so literally the only thing for me to separate that method from MadVR is the Chroma upscaling, but I have a feeling the difference between that is going to be very hard to spot even with photograph evidence to compare, in fact, I might do this.

Can you think of a REALLY good shot in a film that might show this chroma upsampling difference more than others?

I have actually recently dialled right back on sharpnening from the Panasonic, and even Enhance in the JVC. I have that set on 1 now and clear black low. Panny is just +1 High Freq sharpness. Im preferring the look right now.
As I said, the upscaling quality of MadVR is visible in HD/SD, in UHD it would be hard I think to find a situation where the chroma upscaling makes a significant difference, because chroma is already 1080p vs 540 in HD and even less in SD. If you wanted to try to spot a difference, you should be looking for a scene where a clearly delimited object with a curved shape (say the front of a train or car) is say red against a dark background (clear contrast between a non horizontal/vertical shape and the background). Any such aliased lines would suffer from a poor chroma upscaling, but if the starting point is 1080p as with UHD Bluray it will be difficult to evidence unless the chroma upscaling is very poor.

I never used sharpening in the Panasonic, and always kept Clear Black on Low and Enhance on 1 (possibly 2). Anything else causes too many undesirable artifacts, so we agree on that.

I'm not sure what you're doing with MadVR, I use the HDR passthrough option to get all the metadata (I troubleshooted it with Madshi using the Vertex as there was some bugs initially) and it works great now (provided the metadata is valid). The only thing you have to be careful with is not to use any nVidia driver after 385.41 (they are buggy) and not Creator's Fall Update which causes more issues with HDR. I'm with the Spring Update and 385.28 (the next one .41 has a bug preventing from selecting 12bits for 23p custom/optimized resolutions, but still supports HDR passthrough fine). You need to follow the Doom9 thread, MS and nVidia keep breaking stuff as they really struggle with HDR, so it's best to stand back at least 4-6 months behind with drivers/updates. If you don't need DirectX 12, Windows 8.1 is the best option at this stage with MadVR for HDR support.

Sorry everyone for the HTPC off topic, we'll leave it there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27214 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

yes and yes.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/GeekBuying

Immortan Joe endorses this media player - it is not mediocre
A stupid but important for me, question
My storage drives are connected through my network router. Do you have any experience on the zidoo with its lan network connectivity related issues especialy when playing these 4K hdr atmos media?
My mouse pointer is hovering on the buy button just waiting for your all clear signal
Thanks again.
post #27215 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Quoted: 6915 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
As I said, the upscaling quality of MadVR is visible in HD/SD, in UHD it would be hard I think to find a situation where the chroma upscaling makes a significant difference, because chroma is already 1080p vs 540 in HD and even less in SD. If you wanted to try to spot a difference, you should be looking for a scene where a clearly delimited object with a curved shape (say the front of a train or car) is say red against a dark background (clear contrast between a non horizontal/vertical shape and the background). Any such aliased lines would suffer from a poor chroma upscaling, but if the starting point is 1080p as with UHD Bluray it will be difficult to evidence unless the chroma upscaling is very poor.

I never used sharpening in the Panasonic, and always kept Clear Black on Low and Enhance on 1 (possibly 2). Anything else causes too many undesirable artifacts, so we agree on that.

I'm not sure what you're doing with MadVR, I use the HDR passthrough option to get all the metadata (I troubleshooted it with Madshi using the Vertex as there was some bugs initially) and it works great now (provided the metadata is valid). The only thing you have to be careful with is not to use any nVidia driver after 385.41 (they are buggy) and not Creator's Fall Update which causes more issues with HDR. I'm with the Spring Update and 385.28 (the next one .41 has a bug preventing from selecting 12bits for 23p custom/optimized resolutions, but still supports HDR passthrough fine). You need to follow the Doom9 thread, MS and nVidia keep breaking stuff as they really struggle with HDR, so it's best to stand back at least 4-6 months behind with drivers/updates. If you don't need DirectX 12, Windows 8.1 is the best option at this stage with MadVR for HDR support.

Sorry everyone for the HTPC off topic, we'll leave it there
Yeah I know HD is far better, but im interested in UHD Chroma. I think you are right though, its pretty doubtful I am going to see a difference as I suspected already.

Yeah lets just say I am going to keep doing it the way I am doing it, I am not going to backdate my PC drivers since its my main PC and HT is only one of many, many things it does for me. A macro to get the MadVR OSD up through the Kodi remote would do everything I want and I can easily select the right user mode there.

For HDR in MadVR I just use the Pass HDR Content to Display, and switch off send metadata (exactly what the linker does - the linker is elsewhere in my chain anyway) and HDR is perfect since the JVC only needs to change display modes then to display it and DSPlayer doesnt skip a beat. If I send metadata, then Windows 10 - With creators edition goes into some utterly horrible gamma mode which looks nothing like HDR, and I am not willing to trouble shoot it at all ,I just turned off the option entirely instead and work around it, I hate the JVC getting actual HDR metadata anyway since I want 100% control over display mode switching.

The Zidoo might be good to use for UHD at times since Billy Lynns for eg in 60p hdr dont play well with MadVR since I need to essentially turn off every option to get frame renders under 16ms... the Zidoo should play it with no issue.

One thing that would also be great in MadVR is to be able to have different settings profiles for the source resolution... IE. Pretty hardcore upscaling settings for 1080p, but with 4k content have a whole other set of settings for those, such as some mild sharpening etc...

But yah, OT, so lets call it a day on this subject.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #27216 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Quoted: 6915 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
A stupid but important for me, question
My storage drives are connected through my network router. Do you have any experience on the zidoo with its lan network connectivity related issues especialy when playing these 4K hdr atmos media?
My mouse pointer is hovering on the buy button just waiting for your all clear signal
Thanks again.
So are mine, no probs at all so long as your network is fast enough. My Zidoo is not even on ethernet, but it is on 802.11ac and it doesnt skip a beat.
Hellohowareyou likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #27217 of 32093 Old 11-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So are mine, no probs at all so long as your network is fast enough. My Zidoo is not even on ethernet, but it is on 802.11ac and it doesnt skip a beat.
Ordered. Thanks zombie, javs, asharma
asharma likes this.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 11-04-2017 at 08:15 PM.
post #27218 of 32093 Old 11-05-2017, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I know HD is far better, but im interested in UHD Chroma. I think you are right though, its pretty doubtful I am going to see a difference as I suspected already.

Yeah lets just say I am going to keep doing it the way I am doing it, I am not going to backdate my PC drivers since its my main PC and HT is only one of many, many things it does for me. A macro to get the MadVR OSD up through the Kodi remote would do everything I want and I can easily select the right user mode there.

For HDR in MadVR I just use the Pass HDR Content to Display, and switch off send metadata (exactly what the linker does - the linker is elsewhere in my chain anyway) and HDR is perfect since the JVC only needs to change display modes then to display it and DSPlayer doesnt skip a beat. If I send metadata, then Windows 10 - With creators edition goes into some utterly horrible gamma mode which looks nothing like HDR, and I am not willing to trouble shoot it at all ,I just turned off the option entirely instead and work around it, I hate the JVC getting actual HDR metadata anyway since I want 100% control over display mode switching.

The Zidoo might be good to use for UHD at times since Billy Lynns for eg in 60p hdr dont play well with MadVR since I need to essentially turn off every option to get frame renders under 16ms... the Zidoo should play it with no issue.

One thing that would also be great in MadVR is to be able to have different settings profiles for the source resolution... IE. Pretty hardcore upscaling settings for 1080p, but with 4k content have a whole other set of settings for those, such as some mild sharpening etc...

But yah, OT, so lets call it a day on this subject.

MadVR plays UHD 60p fine, although I need to not send the Metadata for UHD60 otherwise there is a display bug in the JVC with UHD4K60 (at least with Win10+nVidia).

But I want MadVR to send the metadata to that the Vertex can display it on its OSD, before stripping it so that it nevers gets to the JVC

So I use a profile to test content and send the metadata for anything that's not UHD60, and not send it otherwise:

Here is the test for the two profiles you'll see in the screenshot below in the JVC:

if (fps >= 30) and (srcHeight > 1080) "Don't Send Metadata"
else "Send Metadata"

So I understand why you complain about UHD in MadVR: you are not using profiles!

Of course you need to adjust the amount/quality of processing according to the source. You can test just about anything in MadVR and apply a different profile for about any of the settings (scaling, rendering, etc). You wouldn't use the same amount of processing on DVD and on UHD Bluray, that's for sure! That's why you can't use MadVR for UHD. If you apply the processing you need to make the best out of SD (luma quadrupling, sharpening etc), then of course the GPU can't follow with the same parameters in UHD. You can even test for conditions in the file name of your content, and have a profile that only applies when a flag in the filename is set, so a profile can apply for a single file (or a small subsets of files) if you need to handle it/them differently.

In the first screenshot below, you'll also see how I test the resolution of the content, and you'll see the first resolution-based profiles (SD, HD), for processing.

In the next screenshots, you'll see that I also have profiles for Full HD, UHD, 4K and 3D, as I apply different upscaling settings depending on the source content (for example, quadruple image upscaling in NGU Sharp with very high luma upscaling and high chroma upscaling for SD, while I do nothing for image upscaling in UHD, as it only needs NGU Anti-Alias High chroma upscaling).

I do the same for scaling and rendering and the settings are completely different depending on content.

Looks like you need to look into MadVR's options a bit further... Again, you need to read the Doom9 thread(s). There is the main MadVR thread hosted by Madshi himself, and you have a couple of threads on MadVR settings.

At the moment you're only looking at the visible part of the iceberg. MadVR is super powerful AND super flexible. If you take the time to learn a little bit about how it works under the hood, it will transform your experience, especially in UHD/4K.

Sorry again for the mostly OT (although I know there are quite a few MadVR users in this thread, so they might be interested as well). I'm really done now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MadVR Profiles.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	2310350   Click image for larger version

Name:	SD image upscaling settings.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	2310352   Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD Image Upscaling settings.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	2310354  
MarcusSwe and Javs like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 11-05-2017 at 02:14 AM.
post #27219 of 32093 Old 11-05-2017, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i got 2600k and 1050ti, and it cant proceed with UHD playback via madVR . even on lowest chroma settings i got 100% processor use
post #27220 of 32093 Old 11-05-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
you should be good with those settings, it may be a bug in their menu system. It looks like it's limited to 10 bit output vs 12bit on the Zidoo.
Any sense what zidoo’s tech support is like? Non existent at Himedia...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #27221 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those that still use the Linker, I have a quick question.

I finally updated my firmware to version .23 -- the latest. I think I leave all settings at default, as shown here, other than EDID, where I am choosing option 2.

I have a small suspicion that leaving the output to HDCP 1.3 instead of 2.2 might create some issues. The JVC should be fine other way, right, so choosing 2.2 may increase compatibility of corner cases?

In particular, for some reason, the Apple TV 4k is getting confused about what my system can handle from an HDR and frame rate standpoint -- sometimes thinking I cannot display HDR nor run 4k at 24fps.

Quote:
Okay I wanted to wait until the link for the new f/w is available but I'm going to post about this now to explain how to set it up.

Linker
First, it's advised if at all possible to put the linker last in the chain, just before the display. It might work in other positions, but you might cause issues because none of the devices after it will know what the content is. They will all think it's SDR. That's what we want for the display, but not necessary for other devices in the chain.

As explained earlier, the Panny doesn't work if the Integral or Linker is placed between it and the AVR.

So to start with, please try with the linker last. When it works, try to move it wherever you want, but only if you have a good reason.

The only option to enable on the Linker if you don't need any of its other features is the disable HDR feature. You check this box and then you can forget about it.

[EDIT: if you use the linker on its own, you have to select EDID 8 to tell the player that the display supports HDR when playing HDR content, otherwise the player will not send HDR and will revert to SDR rec-709. You will probably need to select another custom EDID, or the SINK EDID or default EDID, when playing non-HDR content]
[EDIT: if you know you have 18gb/s HDMI Premium certified cables, you can try EDID 2 as a set and forget option, which might work for everything, but it will not work with non-optimal cables. In that case, EDID 8 for HDR is a safer option].
[EDIT: if you have an Integral as well,]it doesn't really matter which EDID the Linker is set to as long as it's after the Integral in the chain, but set it to Sink EDID so it works wherever it's placed.]
[EDIT: if your player doesn't display its menus in HDR, you might need to select the default EDID, a custom EDID or SINK EDID (or possibly EDID 2 if you're sure you have good cables) to get a stable picture when you stop playback. I do this automatically with the Integral and iRule, and the Panny displays its menus in HDR, so I haven't noticed any instability myself].

You need to have the latest f/w, 019 or more recent, which will be available anytime. [EDIT 02-18-17: the f/w019 is now available for download from HD Fury's website].

You can use the Linker to change EDID when needed, either manually through the GUI on the PC or, if you get the BT dongle, with the iOS / Android app. This should ship shortly.

Integral (optional):
Then the Integral (only if you have one / need one for IP/IR remote control, you don't need one per se to disable the HDR metadata). You should use bottom in / top out if you have an old version, top in top out (preferably) if you have the most recent one (with the faster BT). Also make sure you're using the last f/w. If you have both the Linker and the Integral, set the linker to Disable HDR and forget about it, and use the Integral to change EDID, locally or remotely, using BT with the iOS / Android app, or IR (and IP2IR with iRule). The Integral adds flexibility and comfort, but it's not necessary.

I advise putting the Integral (if present) after the AVR, before the linker, if at all possible. So you have: source > AVR > Integral > Linker

Source:
Make sure the source is set to 4K resolution, not auto. I had the Panny set to auto (so it would switch to 1080p when I use my Dell PC monitor on HDMI 2) but while it works fine with only the Linker or Only the Integral, when both are connected they can get in an endless HDMI sync loop. So set the resolution to 4K on the source, if at all possible, at least if you have both the Linker and the Integral. Other than that, there is nothing to do with the source because it will still believe it's connected to an HDR display, as normal, and should send the full HDR BT2020 content.

Display
I haven't checked this with any other display, but it should work the same way, so could allow to bypass a non optimal HDR implementation. There is nothing to do in the JVC, just select your HDR user mode, select BT2020 and your custom gamma curve (you can even select Gamma D if you want to) and enjoy. No forced Gamma D, DI enabled (more on this later).

That's about it.

If you have any questions when you try to get it to work, please post all your questions in the HD Fury Linker thread here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...ry-linker.html, especially if they are not specific to the disabling HDR feature we can use with the JVC, otherwise this thread will become unmanageable. HDFury (Ken) is super responsive, super helpful, he knows their products inside out and he knows what we are doing as we developped it together, so he'll be the best port of call for support for this if you have any issue when following this guide and it doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	2310908  
post #27222 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those that still use the Linker, I have a quick question.

I finally updated my firmware to version .23 -- the latest. I think I leave all settings at default, as shown here, other than EDID, where I am choosing option 2.

I have a small suspicion that leaving the output to HDCP 1.3 instead of 2.2 might create some issues. The JVC should be fine other way, right, so choosing 2.2 may increase compatibility of corner cases?

In particular, for some reason, the Apple TV 4k is getting confused about what my system can handle from an HDR and frame rate standpoint -- sometimes thinking I cannot display HDR nor run 4k at 24fps.
I don't have an Apple TV so no idea what's going on there, but if your cables are good enough you can indeed select 2.2 (which takes a bit more bandwidth) as it does sometimes improve compatibility with some sources/display. If your cables are borderline though, it might be enough to get a fail or unstable signal when 1.4 works fine.

Unless you need it, I would disable auto-switch input on the linker as it can add some time to the HDMI sync.

If you use the HDR Disable switch in the Linker to get rid of Gamma D and get the DI back in HDR, you might get a message from the source (say some UHD Blurays, not all with the UB900) saying that you need to have a 4K/HDR display to get the full benefit etc, but usually this is only before the menu/movie. Once you play back the film, you do get full HDR (it's easy to check, either by displaying the content info from the source or on the linker GUI (if you don't have a Vertex to do it on screen). If the source reports HDR out, or if the Linker reports HDR in, then you can safely ignore the warning from the player with some titles. It's always a good idea to check at the beginning of playback that you are getting HDR and Atmos/DTS:X (when applicable). Sometimes, for various reasons (default audio track not immersive, etc) you only get some of the experience.
post #27223 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Darn, it may be the disable HDR switch that is messing things up, since the Apple TV performs checks (probably similar to what creates those warning screens on other devices you are talking about) and then disables HDR output rather than throwing a warning and proceeding anyway....
post #27224 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6102
Arve's Tool Help

Greetings,

Hey guys, need some assistance. I used Arve's original Master and WIP tools to create and upload custom gamma curves to my RS500. A few days back I attempted to use the tool again and can't get the interface to open. When I double click the jvc_gamma.py file it briefly opens and vanishes. I am using the same Windows 10 laptop as before and have updated to the latest version of Python which is 3.6.3.

The old Master version of Arve's Tool works normally. I recall having this problem when I first attempted to use the WIP version and somehow got it to work, but can't recall. I also downloaded and tried the latest Master of Arve's Tool, as well as uninstalling/reinstalling Python, with the same results. Very frustrating.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #27225 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think there are two branches any longer? I seem to recall that they were merged or only one maintained going forward.
post #27226 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ralph,

Actually you want to double-click the "menu.py", not "jvc_gamma.py" to enter the actual program.

JVC X750R, 133" DaLite HP (2.8 gain), OPPO UDP 203
Denon X4300H, DIYSoundGroup Fusion 15 L/C/R, Mirage FS V2 Surround, Mirage Omnisat V1 Surround/Atmos
post #27227 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, EDID 2, HDCP 2.2 (my setup has handled it in the past), and Disable HDR as shown here, right?

Quote:
I don't have an Apple TV so no idea what's going on there, but if your cables are good enough you can indeed select 2.2 (which takes a bit more bandwidth) as it does sometimes improve compatibility with some sources/display. If your cables are borderline though, it might be enough to get a fail or unstable signal when 1.4 works fine.

Unless you need it, I would disable auto-switch input on the linker as it can add some time to the HDMI sync.

If you use the HDR Disable switch in the Linker to get rid of Gamma D and get the DI back in HDR, you might get a message from the source (say some UHD Blurays, not all with the UB900) saying that you need to have a 4K/HDR display to get the full benefit etc, but usually this is only before the menu/movie. Once you play back the film, you do get full HDR (it's easy to check, either by displaying the content info from the source or on the linker GUI (if you don't have a Vertex to do it on screen). If the source reports HDR out, or if the Linker reports HDR in, then you can safely ignore the warning from the player with some titles. It's always a good idea to check at the beginning of playback that you are getting HDR and Atmos/DTS:X (when applicable). Sometimes, for various reasons (default audio track not immersive, etc) you only get some of the experience.
Quote:
Darn, it may be the disable HDR switch that is messing things up, since the Apple TV performs checks (probably similar to what creates those warning screens on other devices you are talking about) and then disables HDR output rather than throwing a warning and proceeding anyway....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled 3.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	2310940  
post #27228 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, EDID 2, HDCP 2.2 (my setup has handled it in the past), and Disable HDR as shown here, right?
In theory the HDR Disable doesn't change anything for the source, which should still think it's connected to an HDR display with full capability, as long as you have selected the correct EDID table (#2 on the Linker if your cables can take 18Gb/s).

The source should still be sending the full HDR content, the Linker will simply strip the Metadata information so the display thinks it's getting SDR, when the full HDR content is sent (bar metadata).

You should post in the Linker thread if you still have issues with Apple TV when disable HDR is NOT checked, as it's most likely not specific to the JVC and you'll get better support from HDFury.
post #27229 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Well, if I don't use "Disable HDR" then there is no point for the Linker for me

But I understand that if I continue to have trouble, turning off "Disable HDR" would be the logical thing to check, as a troubleshooting step, to rule out any general problems that the Linker is introducing to the chain when using the Apple TV4k. I appreciate that advice.

And I agree: This is NOT the thread to pursue a general issue like that.

I posted here because I wanted to start from an "ideal config for using the Linker with the RS500".... and then, if I have problems, it's not about the RS500 and I'll try to direct that discussion correctly (as I did when having firmware updating issues, which you can see in the Linker thread over the past 24 hours... which thankfully I was able to resolve).

(Maybe I'll get lucky and moving from firmware .19 to .23, or using HDCP 2.2, will have helped things for my non-JVC related issue!)
post #27230 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post
Ralph,

Actually you want to double-click the "menu.py", not "jvc_gamma.py" to enter the actual program.
Greetings,

Oh boy, feeling pretty silly. All squared away now.

Thanks!

Regards,
nathan_h, Dave Vaughn and Manni01 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #27231 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes clearly I was only suggesting to uncheck disable HDR as a troubleshooting step

I don't follow the Linker thread regularly as I moved to the Vertex, so I haven't seen your recent posts there.
nathan_h likes this.
post #27232 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Oh boy, feeling pretty silly. All squared away now.

Thanks!

Regards,
Don't worry Ralph, we've all done that at least once!
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.
post #27233 of 32093 Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't worry Ralph, we've all done that at least once!
Me? Never
post #27234 of 32093 Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good day.
So the results of "investigating" for last days.

1)
3d on JVC from panny, from himedia and from HTPC (totalmediatheatre 6) works only with first start of video. Then it works fine with no problem. But if pause video/stop and play/ change video etc, any changes in video, then it goes "full black" on glasses. The only way to continue watching in 3d is to full off/on the JVC and glasses.
I hope its 3d emitter problem, so waiting for xpand kit (bt emitter+glasses) to check with them.

2)
i calibrated by spyder the normal presets, install custom curves (manni's + DV emulated). They are sligtly different and looked good on different video, but kinda cool.
But now i have the problem that Marantz 7009 didnt pass the HDR through him, so only way to look with HDR is to plug HDMI directly into source and connect source to marantz via coaxial/optical and leave any HD sound with no chance. Are the "linker" is the device i needed, because now i got 4 sources with HDR capability and want them with HD sound (panny, Himedia, PS4pro, MadVR htpc)
post #27235 of 32093 Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm going to order the vertex. Can anyone explain what settings on the JVC I should use when watching a 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray? Do I still use an HDR curve with BT2020? I'm not 100% sure how it works. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4k UHD HDR = Heaven
post #27236 of 32093 Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Man, with all talk about eShift4 vs eShift5, I have never been more motivated to keep my "old" 500 for a long time Seems like eEshift has reached its maturity. The only way to break this is to move from further evolving the eShift, and move to Laser-based native 4K, but more importantly, to make higher luminance, while affordable projectors. I will wait

All I need now is a steady supply of affordable lamps to feed the 500. Do you guys agree, or am I being silly?
RonF and Jive Turkey like this.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 11-09-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #27237 of 32093 Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Cant the MASK feature labels be customized? There are several "custom" slots in the MASK feature but I didn't see an option to rename them. Tired of scrolling through Custom1, Custom2, etc, to figure out which one is saved as what.

TIA!

Cheers,
Ray
post #27238 of 32093 Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Man, with all talk about eShift4 vs eShift5, I have never been more motivated to keep my "old" 500 for a long time Seems like eEshift has reached its maturity. The only way to break this is to move from further evolving the eShift, and move to Laser-based native 4K, but more importantly, to make higher luminance, while affordable projectors. I will wait

All I need now is a steady supply of affordable lamps to feed the 500. Do you guys agree, or am I being silly?
Agree. While I would choose a later model if I was buying fresh today, the small improvements in the next two iterations aren't worth the upgrade cost to me.

Maybe in a couple years, we'll see another "big jump" like what the 500 generation represented, and then an upgrade may be in order. That might be laser light engine, or another big leap in peak output, or true 4k, etc.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #27239 of 32093 Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Yeah, the x40 thread is why I cancelled my 640 preorder, it doesn't sound like they look any better (I was hoping the HDR/DI would have received some of the love the RS4500 got), so all I'd have got was low lag mode, and the net cost was just going to be too high.

Speaking of the RS4500, just browsing that thread and it seems everyone's pretty much in love with that machine, which seems in stark contrast to the RSx40 thread which is almost all complaining. Makes it seem like JVC took their eye off the ball with the x40 line... Further, makes me wonder (put your tin foil hats on) if JVC has redirected it's resources to the next generation, and just sort of "phoned it in" this year. Dare we hope for a major refresh next year?
post #27240 of 32093 Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In behavioral economics, sometimes paying more leads to greater satisfaction.

I'm not saying the RS4500 is not awesome. And I too hope JVC is going to wow us with a next generation revolution at the sub USD10k level.

But sentiment in threads doesn't really tell us what most users are feeling, imo.

But I hope your speculation is right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page