AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#31,581 ·
I can honestly say, that you own a piece of crap mount.

But, I absolutely LOVE your custom job making it work for your projector.

I don't say that lightly. I've used that mount and a half dozen similar over the years along with a half dozen premium mounts from major manufacturers.

I love the Chief RPM Elite series mounts, but their 'custom' brackets are a sham. Their universal bracket is where it's at. JVC just has a huge hole pattern and just like your MP universal plate, the Chief plate is just a bunch of holes which you can bolt the arms to. If you don't want to use the arms, use some good brackets like you have and bolt them to it. Use 4 or (better) 3 like you did.

Your solution works for dozens of different 'universal' mounts that are on the market already, it properly spans the distance that JVC needs for their huge mounting pattern, and it's a solid solution that will work for years to come.

Paint it black! :) :D :)

The black paint on the mount is definitely not where it's needed most tho. ;)

#31,582 ·
If everything is opened up right now, pitting in a conduit with a pull cord will do better at future proofing you than adding any one current spec cable.
Actually the conduit for this run is just a color matched on wall racetrack type down low just above the baseboard, so I'm just going to add a second HDMI for now. Our room was designed and built with the house almost 23 years ago, so unfortunately the tech back then was pretty primitive and we didn't think to run conduit anywhere. I did at least put some pull wires on the front wall which I'm hoping will help to run wiring to 4 overhead Atmos speakers.

#31,583 ·
I just about finished my new room after our move to TN Steve and although not 75ft (30'), I ran both Monoprice cables since it'd be a PIA to do it again if something "new" came around requiring the 2 sep feeds (I used to use it all the time when one side was fed from the Fury/Linker but now just use it w/ the Darbee). I get that in your case the expense of a 75' fiber to my 30ft'r is a flea on an elephants ars but it might be a worthy consideration none the less.

Been a LOoooNG year working on this new room but very happy w/ the results and THANKS to MikeG for steering me toward an AR lens setup (bought a 138" 21:9 curved Elite & and a used Panamorph uh480/ATH2/JVC plate used off The Bay!). What a gigantic diff from my old 110" 16:9 w/ pull down shade for AR chg's! Between the new top front/rear Klipsch speakers I now have FULL immersive audio & video Nirvana (I was nervous about the curve but we absolutely LOVE it!). The GIK acoustic panels really made a big diff too (thanks to Tom & Mike for that lovely nugget!)

Still have the front curtain header/bottom to finish but I use the sides on a slider rail to watch 16:9 w/out the Panamorph in the light path (works pretty well... maybe someday I'll spring for a motorized header... if I use it enough that is!) :)

I'm going to have to make the 10 hour trip down! ;) :)

#31,585 ·
Actually the conduit for this run is just a color matched on wall racetrack type down low just above the baseboard, so I'm just going to add a second HDMI for now. Our room was designed and built with the house almost 23 years ago, so unfortunately the tech back then was pretty primitive and we didn't think to run conduit anywhere. I did at least put some pull wires on the front wall which I'm hoping will help to run wiring to 4 overhead Atmos speakers.
Makes sense. I would say, if you can add one or two CAT6 or CAT7 ethernet cables, that might come in very handy in the future. Ethernet cables are not just for data, but may help down the road if you need higher bandwidth video than current HDMI standard allow, or if you need an IR repeater, or need to do an update via ethernet, or remote control, etc......etc.

#31,586 · (Edited)
Makes sense. I would say, if you can add one or two CAT6 or CAT7 ethernet cables, that might come in very handy in the future. Ethernet cables are not just for data, but may help down the road if you need higher bandwidth video than current HDMI standard allow, or if you need an IR repeater, or need to do an update via ethernet, or remote control, etc......etc.
I thought about that, especially since Cat cable is not very expensive.

#31,587 ·
Ok guys it’s obvious you need to cut back a bit on the bourbon a bit when enjoying your home theatre. No different than waking up and seeing snow or watching the Star Spangled Banner on your TV ;)
I did that once on a plasma TV. Woke up with pure image retention easy to see on a all grey screen, 12 hours later, all good ;)

#31,588 ·
I just installed a new bulb (orange light came on the JVC and a warning...granted, the bulb had 3400 hours on it!). Anyway, I pulled out a recently purchased light meter and here are my readings:

High Power IRIS all the way open: 660 LUX, 61.3 FtL, 273 Nits (Stewart Firehawk)

Low Power IRIS open: 395 Lux, 36.71 FtL, 164 Nits

Is my math correct???? ((Lux/3.14)*1.3 gain screen)

My old bulb was still plenty bright and without the warning, I wouldn't have changed it. I was getting around 500 lux on the old bulb in high power.
My lamp light just came on, also at 3400 hours. The image looks completely fine to me. I’m betting 3400 is the orange light trigger. I wonder if I’m fine to go a few hundred more hours...

#31,589 ·
The black paint on the mount is definitely not where it's needed most tho. ;)
Agreed. You'll be happy to hear I just ordered 30 yards of triple black velvet. :)

Moderators: I'm not sure why you merged the projector mount thread with this one since it universally applies to most or at least many JVC projectors.

Rick

#31,590 ·
Just starting to research Lamp replacement. My lamp has 3,038 hours on it, so it's getting close...

I saw the e-bay mention from a few months back ($275, or something like that?), but that seller has none available.

I am flabbergasted that the cost from Pureland is $436.50!! Wow, that is just ridiculous.

Anyway, any guidance here? I saw Dominic Chan's post for bare lamps, so I have PMed him to see if he has any of those available. Any other sources that anyone knows about?

Thanks,

- s.west

Sam West

#31,591 ·
Just starting to research Lamp replacement. My lamp has 3,038 hours on it, so it's getting close...

I saw the e-bay mention from a few months back ($275, or something like that?), but that seller has none available.

I am flabbergasted that the cost from Pureland is $436.50!! Wow, that is just ridiculous.

Anyway, any guidance here? I saw Dominic Chan's post for bare lamps, so I have PMed him to see if he has any of those available. Any other sources that anyone knows about?

Thanks,

- s.west

Sam West
My current lamp is still going strong (just over 1K hrs), from what a lot of us bought OEM new off ebay but my previous orig. bulb blew so I recently bought this one off amazon which looks to be the correct Ushio 250JK to stick in my orig housing (for $130 I figured it was worth it!). ;)

#31,592 ·
Agreed. You'll be happy to hear I just ordered 30 yards of triple black velvet. :)

Moderators: I'm not sure why you merged the projector mount thread with this one since it universally applies to most or at least many JVC projectors.

Rick
You know I was referring to your drop ceiling right? ;)

#31,593 ·
You know I was referring to your drop ceiling right? ;)
Yep, I'm working on how to put velvet covered tiles in my drop ceiling. I'll likely cover some of that paneling toward the screen as well. I hate paneling anyhow but the previous homeowner apparently liked it.

Rick

#31,595 ·
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113451713632

Thoughts? I messaged them and they said it is a genuine USHIO bulb...
I never changed a bare bulb. All I've ever heard is never touch the bulb with your fingers as the oil on your hands will cause a premature bulb failure. It looks a bit more involved then what I expected as it looks like a screw terminal on the base that may need to be connected.
Anyone do a bulb swap that can comment on the process?

#31,596 ·
Some further messaging revealed some very vague language. After pressing they finally said the packaging is generic since they "buy in bulk from the factory" but "the lamps say USHIO on them".

So I'm betting they are fakes.

#31,597 ·
I never changed a bare bulb. All I've ever heard is never touch the bulb with your fingers as the oil on your hands will cause a premature bulb failure. It looks a bit more involved then what I expected as it looks like a screw terminal on the base that may need to be connected.
Anyone do a bulb swap that can comment on the process?
With most projectors including the JVCs, even the so-called “bare bulb” includes more than the bare bulb. The bulb comes pre-mounted in a reflector assembly and the leads from the bulb are connected to terminals on the reflector assembly. You indeed have to connect the leads from the housing to these screw terminals, but if you’re reasonably careful you shouldn’t have to touch the bulb surface which is the critical part.

#31,598 ·
With most projectors including the JVCs, even the so-called “bare bulb” includes more than the bare bulb. The bulb comes pre-mounted in a reflector assembly and the leads from the bulb are connected to terminals on the reflector assembly. You indeed have to connect the leads from the housing to these screw terminals, but if you’re reasonably careful you shouldn’t have to touch the bulb surface which is the critical part.
I have one of the factory JVC lamps but its still brand new and sealed. I kinda want to buy a bare bulb. I'm fine with doing the work (I'd wear gloves) but finding a genuine Ushio bulb is challenging.

#31,599 ·
I have one of the factory JVC lamps but its still brand new and sealed. I kinda want to buy a bare bulb. I'm fine with doing the work (I'd wear gloves) but finding a genuine Ushio bulb is challenging.

Did you not see my link to Amazon for one? I bought it and it certainly looks legit (waiting on Chad to calibrate this summer before I install it and throw 100hrs on it).

#31,600 ·
Did you not see my link to Amazon for one? I bought it and it certainly looks legit (waiting on Chad to calibrate this summer before I install it and throw 100hrs on it).
I must have missed it. Could you link it again? Are the markings on the new lamp “identical” or “close” to the same as the original? Did it come in a Ushio box? Also, how good are you at spotting counterfeit products? (Not judging, just curious).