AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2222586-official-jvc-rs600-rs500-x950r-x750r-x9000-x7000-owners-thread.html)

Htnut2000 11-26-2015 07:52 PM

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread
 
2 Attachment(s)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing


JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info


JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours


2016 JVC X-talk info


Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models


Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

R Harkness 11-26-2015 07:56 PM

So it begins....





Thank you very much Htnut2000, that's very exciting!

"1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp" is just what I was hoping for. That's pretty friggin' amazing, actually. No wonder these things were lighting up big screens at the shows.

Also glad to read it's not too far off calibration-wise, since I'll be using OOTB settings for 100 hours or so until it's calibrated.

Just curious, you wrote: "This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900."
Isn't that a bit more like what the X900 would get on high lamp, calibrated? (Cine4home, for instance, got 980 lumens in high lamp, brightest zoom mode, for the X700).

Sorry, one last question: "The out of the box calibration was excellent" - can you tell me which OOTB picture setting you used, that you found "excellent?" Thanks.

rak306 11-26-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htnut2000 (Post 39262434)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced
...

Congratulations !!! It looks like a week or so before we get them here in the U.S. Keep the reports coming.

R Harkness 11-26-2015 08:17 PM

I'll be very curious about your comparison to your having owned the X900. Once you've had a while to watch, if you could comment on what differences you are seeing in terms of contrast/black levels that would be great.

Htnut2000 11-26-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Harkness (Post 39262466)
So it begins....






Just curious, you wrote: "This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900."
Isn't that a bit more like what the X900 would get on high lamp, calibrated? (Cine4home, for instance, got 980 lumens in high lamp, brightest zoom mode, for the X700).

Sorry, one last question: "The out of the box calibration was excellent" - can you tell me which OOTB picture setting you used, that you found "excellent?" Thanks.

You are correct, but I was lucky to have one that was specially "selected" :)

I tested another one and it was 720 lumens which I believe is what Cine4home measured. It seems that there can be large variations in the drop from peak output to calibrated, at least on the previous series

The picture settings in order on the menu were:

Natural
Standard
6500K
Normal

Ther are far less profile options on this model

R Harkness 11-26-2015 08:35 PM

Wow, that's quite a variation on the old models. You were quite...>ahem<....lucky! :)

Thanks for the picture modes.

venkatesh_m 11-26-2015 08:55 PM

RGB separation is very good. I'm surprised that it seems to be getting better on the LCoS variations now as a comment some years ago about this how the RGB separation on the LCoS technology was not that great

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yzfbossman 11-26-2015 09:33 PM

Please make this a RS600 & RS500 thread...they are the same machine and I think most will appreciate having it all in one thread. Thanks

seanbryan 11-26-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yzfbossman (Post 39263954)
Please make this a RS600 & RS500 thread...they are the same machine and I think most will appreciate having it all in one thread. Thanks


I second that request. I think most in the speculation threads indicated a preference for a combined RS600/RS500 thread and a separate thread for the RS400.

Great to hear that you have your projector. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. Do you have any UHD sources?

Htnut2000 11-26-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbryan (Post 39264290)
I second that request. I think most in the speculation threads indicated a preference for a combined RS600/RS500 thread and a separate thread for the RS400.

Great to hear that you have your projector. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. Do you have any UHD sources?

I am quite happy to do that if someone has a suggestion for the title. Due to the silly JVC models numbers it is going to be very long title!

I do not have any UHD sources and 4K was not a reason I upgraded

Htnut2000 11-26-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venkatesh_m (Post 39263418)
RGB separation is very good. I'm surprised that it seems to be getting better on the LCoS variations now as a comment some years ago about this how the RGB separation on the LCoS technology was not that great

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Interesting that you mention that. I just tried to do a calibration using the projector controls only. It was easy to improve the grey scale with a simple adjustment to blue. It was also quite easy to bring the over saturated primaries into line however that totally wrecked the good RGB separation so I guess they still haven't fixed the CMS and I would suggest that users leave that off.

I don't want to turn this into a calibration thread but I will be going back to my Lumagen

Htnut2000 11-26-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Harkness (Post 39262914)
I'll be very curious about your comparison to your having owned the X900. Once you've had a while to watch, if you could comment on what differences you are seeing in terms of contrast/black levels that would be great.

I don't think it would be a fair comparison. Due to some mild lamp aging I was watching the X900 with a fully open iris whereas I have the X9000 at -11

zombie10k 11-26-2015 11:36 PM

How is the saturation tracking @ 75/50/25?

thanks for the input so far. The RS600's will land here in the US sometime next week.

Any thoughts so far on e-shift 4 vs. previous gen?

Htnut2000 11-27-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 39265146)
How is the saturation tracking @ 75/50/25?

thanks for the input so far. The RS600's will land here in the US sometime next week.

Any thoughts so far on e-shift 4 vs. previous gen?

On a quick look there were still some issue with saturation tracking but I would like to look at that further.

I turned E shift off on the x900 as I thought it made the image look soft.

After a very quick comparison last night, my wife preferred it on on the 9000. I need to do some more detailed looking

Htnut2000 11-27-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 39265146)
How is the saturation tracking @ 75/50/25?

thanks for the input so far. The RS600's will land here in the US sometime next week.

Any thoughts so far on e-shift 4 vs. previous gen?

On a quick look there were still some issue with saturation tracking but I would like to look at that further.

I turned E shift off on the x900 as I thought it made the image look soft.

After a very quick comparison last night, my wife preferred it on with the 9000. I need to do some more detailed looking before coming to a conclusion

mhafner 11-27-2015 02:36 AM

How is 3D performance compared to earlier models?

Htnut2000 11-27-2015 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhafner (Post 39265954)
How is 3D performance compared to earlier models?

I am not a fan of 3D and have always sold the glasses and emitter so I have no opinion

alebonau 11-27-2015 03:47 AM

Official JVC DLA-RS500, X750R and X7000 Owners thread
 
6 Attachment(s)
I was first to place an order on one down under and appears first to receive one ?

Birthday present for me :D
 
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/658/2...e71e4a4a_b.jpg
 
more pics coming :)
 
1st unboxing of a x7000 in the world ???
 
jvc has dispensed with the cardboard accessories box, 
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5766/...0cc4a676_b.jpg
 
double wrapped...which is a step forward from the single wrap of the x35
 
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/2...1670462d_b.jpg
 
love the metallic black ! :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5671/...ef857522_b.jpg

and up and going :D
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5744/...77b13412_b.jpg
 
the peerless makes this all so easy in swap over...mount attachment on slid in and secured in place and thats it ! no need to adjust the mount at all wow !
 
basic adjustments, but thats it guys...unlikely will have much time else to do anything with this over the weekend ...its going to be killing me all weekend seeing it there but a very hectic weekend with B'day and kids stuff etc
 
cant wait to play more :)

Anyone else unpacked there's yet, can't wait to hear from other owners as they get theirs :)

Tom Bley 11-27-2015 04:23 AM

Congrats! It's a beauty.

Rich V 11-27-2015 04:27 AM

Looks real nice. If it were me I would be up to the wee hours getting that baby running.

blee0120 11-27-2015 04:52 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alebonau (Post 39266338)
I was first to place an order on one down under and appears first to receive one ?

Birthday present for me :D
 
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/658/2...e71e4a4a_b.jpg
 
more pics coming :)
 
1st unboxing of a x7000 in the world ???
 
jvc has dispensed with the cardboard accessories box, 
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5766/...0cc4a676_b.jpg
 
double wrapped...which is a step forward from the single wrap of the x35
 
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/2...1670462d_b.jpg
 
love the metallic black ! :)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5671/...ef857522_b.jpg

and up and going :D
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5744/...77b13412_b.jpg
 
the peerless makes this all so easy in swap over...mount attachment on slid in and secured in place and thats it ! no need to adjust the mount at all wow !
 
basic adjustments, but thats it guys...unlikely will have much time else to do anything with this over the weekend ...its going to be killing me all weekend seeing it there but a very hectic weekend with B'day and kids stuff etc
 
cant wait to play more :)

Anyone else unpacked there's yet, can't wait to hear from other owners as they get theirs :)

Can you send me a link of that mount? I want one 😀😀😀😀😀😀

alebonau 11-27-2015 04:54 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bley (Post 39266562)
Congrats! It's a beauty.

I can't believe it's finish with the metallic black. Gorgeous to look at and touch :D

The last black jvc I saw was a x35 and that was very plain Jane by comparison :o

alebonau 11-27-2015 05:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich V (Post 39266578)
Looks real nice. If it were me I would be up to the wee hours getting that baby running.

I really wish rich, but too much on otherwise, can't wait to getting back to playing.

Only playing done so far is found the manual iris is pretty cool that can crank right down and still plenty bright ... Haven't checked levels with light meter as yet. Also cool that can run dynamic iris over that :)

On natural setting a touch over ripe as out of box jvcs tend to be. Changed to thx setting but only watched briefly some live tv which is no judge for projector of this calibre :) plenty more playing to do

alebonau 11-27-2015 05:09 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blee0120 (Post 39266770)
Can you send me a link of that mount? I want one 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Peerless prg-exa unv

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ps

Only $107 us best money ever spent to securely mount and precisely dial in the projector especially something big and heavy like a jvc

Awesome engineered such a high quality product peerless make in the precision gear mount and the exa arm mount so versatile in use for either wall or ceiling mounting :)

R Harkness 11-27-2015 05:16 AM

Congrats, thanks for starting the thread.

From the pictures supplied, that looks like a very challenging room for a projector to maintain much contrast. Is it white ceiling, bright walls all around? Are you using an ALR screen (ambient light rejecting)?

R Harkness 11-27-2015 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htnut2000 (Post 39265114)
I don't think it would be a fair comparison. Due to some mild lamp aging I was watching the X900 with a fully open iris whereas I have the X9000 at -11

I was thinking just some general impressions. Depending on your screen size/gain the far brighter projector could have raised black levels vs what you were getting with the X900, or you may have been able to achieve the same or better black levels, with higher contrast. Just wondering how it's working out that way.

What screen do you have (size, gain etc)?

R Harkness 11-27-2015 05:57 AM

Htnut2000,

I don't know if you still have the X900, or if this question is possible for you to answer, but...

Can you confirm whether the X9000 has the same zoom range as the X900? I ask because one member on the German forum says he had an X30, maxed out zoom to fit his screen. Once he replaced it with a new X7000, he could no longer zoom quite as wide, leaving about 10cm unused width on the screen. I don't know if this might be due to sample variation or not.
(I'm maxed out on my zoom, so this is of interest to me).

Mike Garrett 11-27-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Harkness (Post 39267626)
Htnut2000,

I don't know if you still have the X900, or if this question is possible for you to answer, but...

Can you confirm whether the X9000 has the same zoom range as the X900? I ask because one member on the German forum says he had an X30, maxed out zoom to fit his screen. Once he replaced it with a new X7000, he could no longer zoom quite as wide, leaving about 10cm unused width on the screen. I don't know if this might be due to sample variation or not.
(I'm maxed out on my zoom, so this is of interest to me).

The zoom is supposed to be the same. What would be interesting to know is screen size and throw that he was using. I suspect he was just past the range and his old projector just happened to be able to do it. At least with your 4-way masking, you have a working solution. Just need OP'er to make the image as large as possible from his throw distance and provide accurate measurements for throw and image size, then you can calculate.

DavidHir 11-27-2015 06:41 AM

97 Attachment(s)
My zoom is maxed out on my RS4810 too so I would like know as I use a scope screen. However, my max zoom is perfectly in sync with JVC's calculator so I would hope that would be the same. If worse came to worst, I have about 3 inches behind my projector before it meets the wall that I could narrow down if I had to (but prefer not to so to give more room for inhalation), but I would think the zoom should be the same as Mike said.

rboster 11-27-2015 06:41 AM

OP congrats on the new baby...looks awesome. AND, Happy Birthday too. I turn @&*#@^$% today and have placed my order for a new JVC too. That's my b-day gift to myself (after I recoup the cost through selling my current unit ;) ).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!!


Take care
Ron


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.