JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600) - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1225Likes

post #4141 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
I read them a while ago so maybe need refreshing. : p

So for gamma calibration, I need to set gamma to normal then with standard color profile.

If I want to autocal custom color profile, I should run color only autocal? But my experience with color only autocal with a custom color profile, most of the time I got the wired gamut I posted a few posts back. Made me think I wasn’t suppose to run color only autocal with custom color profile.

I’ll try to run a few color only autocal with custom color profile, if still the same, should I reset to initial settings and try again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which custom color profile did you upload? None of those in this thread should give this result. If it's slef-made, maybe you have got one of the primaries wrong? In any case, yes, with a custom color profile, you only need to run color only, running gamma is a waste of time if you see - (at least on my rs500). Apparently on more recent models you can, so I'll let others chip in as I don't autocal my RS500 anymore and the new models don't need custom color profiles (mostly).

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Which custom color profile did you upload? None of those in this thread should give this result. If it's slef-made, maybe you have got one of the primaries wrong? In any case, yes, with a custom color profile, you only need to run color only, running gamma is a waste of time if you see - (at least on my rs500). Apparently on more recent models you can, so I'll let others chip in as I don't autocal my RS500 anymore and the new models don't need custom color profiles (mostly).

I downloaded your color profiles from the first post of this thread, the zip file contains 5 profiles, I use the rec2020NF mostly and also rec709NF/2020F.

I have RS540 with latest firmware I think.

post #4143 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I downloaded your color profiles from the first post of this thread, the zip file contains 5 profiles, I use the rec2020NF mostly and also rec709NF/2020F.

I have RS540 with latest firmware I think.

Don't you have an HDR profile on the RS540? If yes, that's the same as BT2020NF, so no need for that one.
BT2020 should also be present on the RS540, so BT2020-F shouldn't be needed either.
Rec-709NF is (mostly) the same as standard in a user mode, I can't remember if it's exactly the same or slightly oversaturated.

So really you shouldn't have any need for custom profiles, unless I'm mistaken about the RS540.

This means you can run gamma+color autocal on the standard / factory profiles above and can forget the custom profiles.

I'm sure an rs540 or rs640 owner will correct me if I'm wrong.
inonefly likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Don't you have an HDR profile on the RS540? If yes, that's the same as BT2020NF, so no need for that one.

BT2020 should also be present on the RS540, so BT2020-F shouldn't be needed either.

Rec-709NF is (mostly) the same as standard in a user mode, I can't remember if it's exactly the same or slightly oversaturated.

So really you shouldn't have any need for custom profiles, unless I'm mistaken about the RS540.

This means you can run gamma+color autocal on the standard / factory profiles above and can forget the custom profiles.

I'm sure an rs540 or rs640 owner will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep the RS540 have HDR mode and BT2020 color profile.

I seem to recall one of your post mentioned the standard color profile after autocal was still a bit over saturated and the rec709NF gave better result. So I started using the custom color profile and moved onto 2020 profiles.

I still haven’t finished reading through the posts of this thread so maybe there are further info/changes that I missed. But sounds like I should reset with the saved file and just use the build-in profiles?

post #4145 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep the RS540 have HDR mode and BT2020 color profile.

I seem to recall one of your post mentioned the standard color profile after autocal was still a bit over saturated and the rec709NF gave better result. So I started using the custom color profile and moved onto 2020 profiles.

I still haven’t finished reading through the posts of this thread so maybe there are further info/changes that I missed. But sounds like I should reset with the saved file and just use the build-in profiles?

Custom profiles are definitely unnecessary if you have HDR and BT2020 factory profiles.
Re rec-709, it was slightly oversaturated on the rs500, I have no idea if it’s the case with the rs540. Others might comment on this. If you plan to run a 3D LUT over that, a slight oversaturation is a good thing. Otherwise if you notice visual oversaturation, using rec-709nf might be better, but not if it returns the weird gamut you posted earlier.

Good luck!

post #4146 of 4164 Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Custom profiles are definitely unnecessary if you have HDR and BT2020 factory profiles.

Re rec-709, it was slightly oversaturated on the rs500, I have no idea if it’s the case with the rs540. Others might comment on this. If you plan to run a 3D LUT over that, a slight oversaturation is a good thing. Otherwise if you notice visual oversaturation, using rec-709nf might be better, but not if it returns the weird gamut you posted earlier.

Good luck!

All clear! Thanks a lot for your help. Think I ‘ll load the defaults and try autocal with factory profiles - hopefully will get rid of the issue. I don’t intend to make it too complicated, maybe will check color accuracy with i1D3 later but would like to spend more time watching movies.

post #4147 of 4164 Old 04-06-2019, 07:43 AM

I’m trying to figure out if my Spyder 5 is a good unit for color accuracy, comparing to my i1D3 that is.
I use HCFR run 5 color only readings with each, then averaging the 5 readings and below is the delta from the average. I run the color readings on my monitor, not PJ, if that makes any differences.

Is it a good way to company the two? Does the below delta looks good if I only need the Spyder 5 as close to the i1D3 as possible?

post #4148 of 4164 Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
I’m trying to figure out if my Spyder 5 is a good unit for color accuracy, comparing to my i1D3 that is.
I use HCFR run 5 color only readings with each, then averaging the 5 readings and below is the delta from the average. I run the color readings on my monitor, not PJ, if that makes any differences.

Is it a good way to company the two? Does the below delta looks good if I only need the Spyder 5 as close to the i1D3 as possible?

The results are not very conclusive when you’re using a different display. Also, the Spyder 5 has a very different response facing the projector compared with facing the screen (even setting side the screen tint itself). You’re better off running autocal in the Log Only mode (with the Spyder in its “normal” position), and compare the results with the i1D3.
inonefly and Manni01 like this.
post #4149 of 4164 Old 04-06-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The results are not very conclusive when you’re using a different display. Also, the Spyder 5 has a very different response facing the projector compared with facing the screen (even setting side the screen tint itself). You’re better off running autocal in the Log Only mode (with the Spyder in its “normal” position), and compare the results with the i1D3.

For i1D3 can I run HCFR measurements with i1D3 facing the lens? If not, it will be the result of i1D3 measuring off screen compared to autocal result, would that be a good method?

post #4150 of 4164 Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Equipment finally all showed up. Spyder 5, x-rite i1 pro2, tripod and I am ready to jump headfirst even though I am totally not qualified.

The autocal procedure I get, but I had a quick question:

Should I run the gamma autocal with the Spyder BEFORE I import Jav's custom curves or after? It is my understanding that the autocal corrects gamma for every profile that uses the gamma profile so long as I do not change iris, CMD or lamp levels (I won't). So if that is correct, my understanding is:

(1) Gamma 1st (Spyder)
(2) Color 2nd (x-rite)
(3) Import Javs (V3 curve because my brightness is 70-80 nits) for HDR

Enjoy a happy life in front of my projector screen.
post #4151 of 4164 Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I developed this procedure using late builds of CalMAN software. Unfortunately, I do not know if the workflow will load and run for everyone depending on your license level and build date.
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a brand new JVC RS2000 and of course I need to use Chad's procedure to "adjust" the Spyder 5.
Unfortunately I have CalMAN version 5.6.1.2241 and your workflow does not work
It says that 5.7.1.2428 is required. Would it be possible to get same workflow with an older version? Are there any alternatives?

Also I was wondering if environment calibration can still help with Chad's procedure, since the colorimeter measures take already in account the difference with the screen I think, including implicitly the environment factor.

Thanks in advance.
post #4152 of 4164 Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a brand new JVC RS2000 and of course I need to use Chad's procedure to "adjust" the Spyder 5.
Unfortunately I have CalMAN version 5.6.1.2241 and your workflow does not work
It says that 5.7.1.2428 is required. Would it be possible to get same workflow with an older version? Are there any alternatives?

Also I was wondering if environment calibration can still help with Chad's procedure, since the colorimeter measures take already in account the difference with the screen I think, including implicitly the environment factor.
The environment calibration does not take the screen into consideration. It only measures the ambient light falling on (near) the screen.
post #4153 of 4164 Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Should I run the gamma autocal with the Spyder BEFORE I import Jav's custom curves or after? It is my understanding that the autocal corrects gamma for every profile that uses the gamma profile so long as I do not change iris, CMD or lamp levels (I won't).
It makes no difference which one you do first. The calibration just fixes the base gamma and the custom curve works “on top” of it.
post #4154 of 4164 Old 05-01-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Hi guys,
I very recently purchased the lamp from ebay. It got delivered today. When I opened the box, it was soo small that I got concerned if its legit. Here are the pics. I'm holding the lamp in my hand to show you relatively how small it is (no I don't have gigantic hands).

Is this the right stuff. Is this how small the lamp is supposed to be? I'm going to install it in RS500.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC lamp Pic 1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	811.6 KB
ID:	2561088   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC Lamp Pic 2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	813.8 KB
ID:	2561090  
post #4155 of 4164 Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Hi guys,
I very recently purchased the lamp from ebay. It got delivered today. When I opened the box, it was soo small that I got concerned if its legit. Here are the pics. I'm holding the lamp in my hand to show you relatively how small it is (no I don't have gigantic hands).

Is this the right stuff. Is this how small the lamp is supposed to be? I'm going to install it in RS500.
I would be easier to tell whether it's "too small" if you show a picture of the old lamp and new lamp side-by-side.

In any case, this is the wrong thread.
post #4156 of 4164 Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM

I cannot seem to connect the projector to the network. I have a x590r and have tried via DHCP and static through the router and also a direct connection to the projector. Have tried several ethernet cables from cat5e to cat7.

What is the magic trick to configure this for the autocal to run? I have a Edgerouter and have configured both the static ip and DHCP and it either fails to obtain IP address, or just times out.

Is this a projector defect? I have a lot of equipment on my router / switch and never had any problem. Is there a service menu setting I have to mess with?

I apparently seem to be the only person with this problem from googling.
post #4157 of 4164 Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
I cannot seem to connect the projector to the network. I have a x590r and have tried via DHCP and static through the router and also a direct connection to the projector. Have tried several ethernet cables from cat5e to cat7.

What is the magic trick to configure this for the autocal to run? I have a Edgerouter and have configured both the static ip and DHCP and it either fails to obtain IP address, or just times out.

Is this a projector defect? I have a lot of equipment on my router / switch and never had any problem. Is there a service menu setting I have to mess with?

I apparently seem to be the only person with this problem from googling.
See my reply in the other thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57983712

It’s a common problem
post #4158 of 4164 Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
I would be easier to tell whether it's "too small" if you show a picture of the old lamp and new lamp side-by-side.

In any case, this is the wrong thread.
My apologies. I thought I was posting in RS500 thread. Please ignore. I'll post there
post #4159 of 4164 Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
See my reply in the other thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57983712

It’s a common problem
Thanks again Dominic. Its not working, once again I appreciate the response. The network card in the projector is DOA. My friend brought over a 3rd router (Netgear, Asus and Ubiquiti) and I tried it with absolutely no response (ping, etc.) whether via static or DHCP.

I have a repair request into JVC and they have been very quick to respond. Right now I am weighing whether to eat the shipping costs to JVC and subsequent 4-6 weeks of no projector, or sell my calibration equipment on ebay for a loss and live with the factory image (which is pretty good tbh) and not be without a projector for 4-6 weeks.

I am more than a little frustrated that JVC chose to cheap out on something that you can buy practically nuclear bomb proof equivalents on amazon for like $10 (i.e., TP-Link gigabit switch). I mean JVC is using hubble telescope lens tech in their projector front end, but some ghetto tier NIC cards in the back to callibrate the thing. /end rant

Or maybe I am just the 1:100000 customer who got the bad one on the line. THeir customer service is very fast and the tech I talked to certainly knew what he was doing.
post #4160 of 4164 Old 05-05-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
...I developed this procedure using late builds of CalMAN software. Unfortunately, I do not know if the workflow will load and run for everyone depending on your license level and build date. You can use any spectro (facing screen) or a profiled colorimeter (K-10, i1D3, etc)...
May I assume then that my ColorMunki Photo must be used facing the screen? So to take in account also the difference with the screen.
post #4161 of 4164 Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
May I assume then that my ColorMunki Photo must be used facing the screen? So to take in account also the difference with the screen.

Yes.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #4162 of 4164 Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 PM

When the calibration software asks for size of screen, what should I use with a scope screen (2.35:1)? Should I enter the real diagonal? And the smaller one when I calibrate in 16:9 lens position? I have masked top and bottom in the VPR menu. Is the mask active during the calibration?
post #4163 of 4164 Old 05-26-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When the calibration software asks for size of screen, what should I use with a scope screen (2.35:1)? Should I enter the real diagonal? And the smaller one when I calibrate in 16:9 lens position? I have masked top and bottom in the VPR menu. Is the mask active during the calibration?
It should be based on the unmasked dimensions.
post #4164 of 4164 Old 06-28-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 183
If I am not confident in the result of my FIRST autocal, can I NOT save it, and just go to top of menu and try again? Will I still get my factory init file on whatever I choose to save?

edit: I dumped it. sensor too close, trying again.

Last edited by ScottAvery; 06-28-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page