JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1256Likes

post #451 of 4238 Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I just unplugged the projector 2 hours ago. Try it again tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4238 Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Clearly, my first go round with the Spyder 5 and JVC autocal was not ideal (my gamma had a weird "S" shape instead of a straight line). I plan on redoing the process but I was wondering if it was necessary to reload my backup "init" file (to get back to base factory settings) before starting the process again.

Thanks
post #453 of 4238 Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If your in Australia looking for a Spyder 4, computer parts land has the hdtv package for $140. It is the pro version sensor and works fine with jvc software.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 357 Post(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Clearly, my first go round with the Spyder 5 and JVC autocal was not ideal (my gamma had a weird "S" shape instead of a straight line). I plan on redoing the process but I was wondering if it was necessary to reload my backup "init" file (to get back to base factory settings) before starting the process again.

Thanks
No need to reload the .init, just redo a gamma with a standard colour profile (not a custom one).
post #455 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
No need to reload the .init, just redo a gamma with a standard colour profile (not a custom one).
Thank you Manni!
post #456 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unplugging the projector worked. A lot of wasted time, but the bt2020 profile is imported. I move into my house on June 18th and my projector is new, should I wait until then to do the autocal?
post #457 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Unplugging the projector worked. A lot of wasted time, but the bt2020 profile is imported. I move into my house on June 18th and my projector is new, should I wait until then to do the autocal?
It depends if you want to practice or not.

The PJ is fairly accurate OOTB for around 50-100 hours. It's after that that the Autocal becomes most beneficial.

So you could just enjoy the PJ now if the picture looks right, especially in HDR (look at the clipping pattern when you set gamma/contrast on any Sony UHD Bluray to see if the greyscale seems correct).

If nothing hurts your eyes, watch some movies and put some hours on, the lamp drifts quite a bit in the first 100 hours.

Otherwise, run a quick autocal for the modes/settings you use, or those that don't look right.
post #458 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It depends if you want to practice or not.

The PJ is fairly accurate OOTB for around 50-100 hours. It's after that that the Autocal becomes most beneficial.

So you could just enjoy the PJ now if the picture looks right, especially in HDR (look at the clipping pattern when you set gamma/contrast on any Sony UHD Bluray to see if the greyscale seems correct).

If nothing hurts your eyes, watch some movies and put some hours on, the lamp drifts quite a bit in the first 100 hours.

Otherwise, run a quick autocal for the modes/settings you use, or those that don't look right.
I'll probably just watch it for 2 weeks until the move. So far it looks great. My wife even said it looks amazing. I only grab the 400 because I want to make sure there wasn't any new JVC projectors at Cedia. The 400 is the easiest to sell without losing money. Anyway it's a good solution until September when I upgrade to the 500 or something new from JVC.
post #459 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My spyder 5 pro is going back. My Spyder4 pro works great and I'm not so sure about the 5.
post #460 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would appreciate any help on completing a successful auto calibration of my RS600.
I have RS600, Spyder5 Elite, Version 7 auto calibration software, windows10 64bit.

I have followed Manni01's recommendations for calibration.
The software completes the gamma calibration then skips color. It then completed is calculations and sends them to the projector. When the completed summary of the calibration is displayed it says error for 100% white. This of course throws the calibration out the window. The colors are whacky and totally off.

I guess my question is what could cause a error reading 100% white?

Thanks....

Last edited by brbecker; 06-02-2016 at 04:27 PM.
post #461 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Manni - this is a really dumb question, but after I followed your full autocal instructions, do I need to still go in with a calibration blu ray and adjust anything else like.....Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, etc.? Thanks
post #462 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
I did an AutoCal this weekend on my 400 with a 5 and the new software.
Only did "Natural" /normal)up and back @-15/10/5 with/without CMD(manual iris).
Looks a bit washed out, gonna give it a few, if I don't like it I'll try again this weekend.
atabea likes this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #463 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa_newbie View Post
Manni - this is a really dumb question, but after I followed your full autocal instructions, do I need to still go in with a calibration blu ray and adjust anything else like.....Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, etc.? Thanks
I could be totally off, but I think you just have to calibrate 100% white (assuming you have the appropriate software and meter----like calman, chromapure etc)
post #464 of 4238 Old 06-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
hi guys
just ran my 1st calibration. gamma, color, and color temp came out as such:

now this maybe a dumb question butwhen i was doing phase 2 on manni's steps, w/ the cmd on i noticed my gamma curve change, even though i was doing color only
is this normal?

finally i ran the 709 w/ filter since i used cinema2 which applies the filter.

how do my results look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	709.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1474977  

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
post #465 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbecker View Post
Would appreciate any help on completing a successful auto calibration of my RS600.
I have RS600, Spyder5 Elite, Version 7 auto calibration software, windows10 64bit.

I have followed Manni01's recommendations for calibration.
The software completes the gamma calibration then skips color. It then completed is calculations and sends them to the projector. When the completed summary of the calibration is displayed it says error for 100% white. This of course throws the calibration out the window. The colors are whacky and totally off.

I guess my question is what could cause a error reading 100% white?

Thanks....
Most likely meter placement. It has to be facing the projector, aiming at the lens, without any ambiant light. Make sure it's at the right distance when set to the user mode you plan to calibrate. It has to be inside the box on the first screen that help you to adjust distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa_newbie View Post
Only contrast and brightness if necessary, forget about tint and color. As long as your colour preset isn't undersaturated you shouldn't need to use these (or the CMS). They make things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I did an AutoCal this weekend on my 400 with a 5 and the new software.
Only did "Natural" /normal)up and back @-15/10/5 with/without CMD(manual iris).
Looks a bit washed out, gonna give it a few, if I don't like it I'll try again this weekend.
Reset all your gamma and color temp settings when calibrating an SDR preset. You only need minor gamma correction in SDR after an autocal, like +2 on dark gamma to get a BT1886 from a 2.4 preset. You can't use the HDR gamma settings for SDR, so calibrate to different user settings with different gamma custom presets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
hi guys
just ran my 1st calibration. gamma, color, and color temp came out as such:

now this maybe a dumb question butwhen i was doing phase 2 on manni's steps, w/ the cmd on i noticed my gamma curve change, even though i was doing color only
is this normal?

finally i ran the 709 w/ filter since i used cinema2 which applies the filter.

how do my results look?
Bad

Don't use the filter for a rec-709 calibration, it wrecks the saturations. Please follow the instructions and use standard during calibration, then select an uploaded rec-709nf and autocal it.

Make sure you select color only in the settings after having done gamma, so that it skips the gamma steps. You should see a dash after gamma in the post cal results, meaning it's been skipped and won't be saved.

Make sure you follow the updated procedure I described in my last calibration, it's much simpler and faster but I recommend you create an SDR rec-709 preset based on standard during calibration and then rec-709nf, and an HDR bt2020 preset based on reference during calibration then the bt2020 profile.

If you stray aside from these, you get weird results like the one you posted
dhurleycpa likes this.
post #466 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Make sure you follow the updated procedure I described in my last calibration, it's much simpler and faster but I recommend you create an SDR rec-709 preset based on standard during calibration and then rec-709nf, and an HDR bt2020 preset based on reference during calibration then the bt2020 profile.
Can you link to the "last calibration" you mentioned.
thanks
dan

Dan
post #467 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post
IMDave, did you manage to buy & try the Express? I'm also Oz based and can't stomach $290 for a meter especially if there is a chance it won't be as accurate as it should. $190 is worth the risk.
Well good news .
Picked up my EXPRESS model Spyder 5 this afternoon.
Firstly. A big thank you to Manni for making this thread idiot proof.
I can confirm the Express works with v7, so save your $$$ folks.
What I can't confirm is whether it is an accurate unit or not.
I took some screen grabs of the gamma and colour calibrations , and will try and upload them for some feedback when I get more time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rec 709.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	1475425   Click image for larger version

Name:	colour temp-natural.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	1475433   Click image for larger version

Name:	gamma-normal.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	1475441  
muzz and Manni01 like this.

Last edited by IMDave; 06-03-2016 at 05:26 AM.
post #468 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=Manni01;44471265]Most likely meter placement. It has to be facing the projector, aiming at the lens, without any ambiant light. Make sure it's at the right distance when set to the user mode you plan to calibrate. It has to be inside the box on the first screen that help you to adjust distance.

Manni01, I tried multiple calibrations always making sure the meter was within the rectangle. I even varied the tilt of the meter. I'm using the high lamp setting for the calibration. I also discovered with the first calibration to remove my anamorphic lens....that didn't work out so well. I setup the meter inside the rectangle which was about 2 1/2 feet from face of projector. The face of the meter angled directly into the projected beam. I also noticed when doing the 33 step cal. for Blue the last 3 steps (the brightest) came back with all zero's for results.

I will try again today to run the software. One side note, I'm using Beta builds of Windows 10 64bit. I don't think that is a factor. I have another laptop with the non beta Window 10 so I will try using it as a trouble shooting measure.

Any other trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.
post #469 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=brbecker;44472001]
Quote:
Most likely meter placement. It has to be facing the projector, aiming at the lens, without any ambiant light. Make sure it's at the right distance when set to the user mode you plan to calibrate. It has to be inside the box on the first screen that help you to adjust distance.

Manni01, I tried multiple calibrations always making sure the meter was within the rectangle. I even varied the tilt of the meter. I'm using the high lamp setting for the calibration. I also discovered with the first calibration to remove my anamorphic lens....that didn't work out so well. I setup the meter inside the rectangle which was about 2 1/2 feet from face of projector. The face of the meter angled directly into the projected beam. I also noticed when doing the 33 step cal. for Blue the last 3 steps (the brightest) came back with all zero's for results.

I will try again today to run the software. One side note, I'm using Beta builds of Windows 10 64bit. I don't think that is a factor. I have another laptop with the non beta Window 10 so I will try using it as a trouble shooting measure.

Any other trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.
Sounds like you're way too close to the projector. You need to fully open the iris when you do gamma, and make sure the Spyder icon on the screen in the box is as close to the right of the box on the screen as possible.

It shouldn't read 0 on any color, at any level. Something is wrong with your setup.

Make sure that the shadow of the meter is at the centre of the screen, and make sure the reflexion of the meter when you position it using the white pattern reflects back just above or just below the lens, but not into the lens.
post #470 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
IMDave, thanks for being the guinea pig with the express, good to know it works.
post #471 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 AM

[quote=Manni01;44472073]
Quote:

Sounds like you're way too close to the projector. You need to fully open the iris when you do gamma, and make sure the Spyder icon on the screen in the box is as close to the right of the box on the screen as possible.

It shouldn't read 0 on any color, at any level. Something is wrong with your setup.

Make sure that the shadow of the meter is at the centre of the screen, and make sure the reflexion of the meter when you position it using the white pattern reflects back just above or just below the lens, but not into the lens.

Manni01, thanks all good points.

I set up the iris to manual full open as per your post on how to use calibration software. I do remember something about placement to the right in the box..I'll do that during my next try. I made sure the placement of the meter fell within the center of my screen. I'll also try to see if I see a reflection coming off the meter and reflecting back at the projector lens. Not sure with a bright projector on how to see this refection..

When you calibrated yours how far was the meter from the projector?

Thanks again...
post #472 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
Well good news .
Picked up my EXPRESS model Spyder 5 this afternoon.
Firstly. A big thank you to Manni for making this thread idiot proof.
I can confirm the Express works with v7, so save your $$$ folks.
What I can't confirm is whether it is an accurate unit or not.
I took some screen grabs of the gamma and colour calibrations , and will try and upload them for some feedback when I get more time.
Hello IMDave,
does the spyder express have screw for tripod
as well as the ambient luminosity sensor present in the other probes?
Thank's
Jean-Jacques

Vidéo: Écran fixe Da-Lite HC-HP ( base3 m,gris, g 2.4), JVC X5000 , Radiance 4442, Pana BD820, VU SOLO 4K/VTI V11, HDFURY Integral, Denon X3300W
HiFi: Tri_amp active, enceintes DIY Phoenix de S. Linkwitz, Tact RCS et 3*S2150, VU+ Duo/VTI V11/Quad FM4
post #473 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Manni, can you please clarify this quote?

Are you saying that when running the Color-only autocal for BT2020, I should select REFERENCE?

thanks
post #474 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Manni, can you please clarify this quote?

Are you saying that when running the Color-only autocal for BT2020, I should select REFERENCE?

thanks
No, I mean as per my recent procedure that you need to select a standard profile during gamma calibration that will be as close as possible to the profile/filter combination you will actually use.

So in user1 I have my rec-709-NF profile selected when playing blurays, when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the standard colour profile (preset closest to rec-709 that doesn't use the filter), then I will select my rec-709NF custom profile and run a colour only autocal.

In user 2 I have my bt2020 custom profile selected when playing UHD Bluray in HDR, so when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the reference colour profile (preset closest to BT2020 that does use the filter), then I will select my bt2020 custom profile and run a color only autocal.

You have to select a factory colour profile to be able to run gamma, but you want to select one that's the closest to the one you'll actually use.

Again all this is detailed in my updated procedure.
atabea likes this.
post #475 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Should i just start from the beginning and upload my init file? And new procedure being post 2? Ill report back tomorrow. Hopefully with better results
post #476 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 AM

[quote=brbecker;44472553]
Quote:

Manni01, thanks all good points.

I set up the iris to manual full open as per your post on how to use calibration software. I do remember something about placement to the right in the box..I'll do that during my next try. I made sure the placement of the meter fell within the center of my screen. I'll also try to see if I see a reflection coming off the meter and reflecting back at the projector lens. Not sure with a bright projector on how to see this refection..

When you calibrated yours how far was the meter from the projector?

Thanks again...
Manni01 I moved the S5 about 10.5ft from the projector. The gamma calibration now completes with no errors. The software skips color calibration. Is suppose to do that even though it's selected in the software? Do you have to run color calibration after you upload the results of the calibration? I have posted the results of the first calibration of gamma. Are the results acceptable? Is the blue line the before and the straight white line the after cal. results?

Thanks for your guidance...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calpic1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1476025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calpic2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	1476033   Click image for larger version

Name:	calpic3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1476041  
post #477 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=brbecker;44477345]
Quote:

Manni01 I moved the S5 about 10.5ft from the projector. The gamma calibration now completes with no errors. The software skips color calibration. Is suppose to do that even though it's selected in the software? Do you have to run color calibration after you upload the results of the calibration? I have posted the results of the first calibration of gamma. Are the results acceptable? Is the blue line the before and the straight white line the after cal. results?

Thanks for your guidance...

The software should do the colour calibration if you have selected gamma+color in the settings. I have no idea why it didn't, but in your screenshots it looks like it did as there is no dash in the results. I can't remember which color means what, I think that blue is pre-cal, white is post-cal and green is target, but I could be wrong (I could have white and green mixed up). I think you have to hover over the graph for the software to display the legend.
post #478 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 108
When calibrating gamma and colour with the rec2020 profile from JVC and the D gamma using user1 should the gamma parameters and contrast/brightness bet set to zero or the values used when watching HDR content? I did the latter and the gamma after calibration has an S shape and even some overshoot towards the end. Is this normal? Visually the result looks ok, though.
post #479 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
When calibrating gamma and colour with the rec2020 profile from JVC and the D gamma using user1 should the gamma parameters and contrast/brightness bet set to zero or the values used when watching HDR content? I did the latter and the gamma after calibration has an S shape and even some overshoot towards the end. Is this normal? Visually the result looks ok, though.
I ended up with the same "S" shaped gamma curve that manni said was not normal. I have to redo everything tonight.
post #480 of 4238 Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I ended up with the same "S" shaped gamma curve that manni said was not normal. I have to redo everything tonight.
So one should select the reference profile, set the gamma to D and do gamma and colour calibration? With the parameters all set to zero? Then go to user 1 and select the Rec2020 profile and gamma D and do colour again? With parameters set to zero? And then set the parameters where they belong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page