JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600) - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1224Likes

post #2701 of 4161 Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5317 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
JVC Control with MadVR part 1

Here is a quick How To regarding selecting the relevant calibration in the JVC from MadVR.

This is part 1, I'll post more information regarding the best calibration settings especially when using MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion when I have the time.

I used Stanger89's code from Arve's tool as a starting point to create a python file and a batch file for each user mode [EDIT 20-01-18: now a single batch file with the user mode as an argument]. All the details are in the PDF in the attached ZIP.

With these, you can ask MadVR to select a specific SDR-BT2020 calibration in the projector when playing HDR BT2020 content using its pixel shader math HDR to SDR conversion, and select the SDR REC709 calibration when SDR content is next played. [EDIT 20-01-18: the external command implementation is still flaky in MadVR, but hopefully this will be corrected soon).] [EDIT 18-04-18: this is now fixed in V1.3]

This is NOT a step-by-step guide for newbies. It's just to share the knowledge with advanced users so they can help others and make a guide for newbies if they have the time and inclination.

I won't have the time to provide support for this, but it's probably better to keep the discussion in this thread so that we don't hijack the owner's thread with technical posts.

I wrote this very quickly, so please forgive typos etc.

Changelog:

V1.1 Jan-18-2018
  • Minor cosmetic correction in JVC_USER5.PY for all models
  • Added support and extended timeout value from 5 to 15 seconds for DLA-X770R, X7500, RS520, X970R, X9500, RS620 in jvc_command.py.
V1.2 Jan-20-2018
  • Created a unique JVC_COMMAND.BAT accepting the user mode as an argument so there is only one batch file to edit. Syntax is, for example to select the USER1 calibration: JVC_COMMAND.BAT USER1. It accepts any user mode as argument (USER1-6).
  • Corrections to documentation, change of custom profiles (now using the calibration tab to make it possible to select different calibration settings for HDR and SDR) and external commands and new screenshots.
V1.3 Apr-18-2018
  • Added a delay in the JVC_COMMAND.BAT file to make sure the command isn’t sent while the JVC is performing an HDMI sync. Set by default to 20 seconds, feel free to adjust it. 15-18 secs should work fine for most, but with anything lower than that some commands might get lost. Others might need up to 25 secs. This is similar to the delay implemented on the Vertex.
  • Minor corrections to the documentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Testing.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2348522  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Manni01 JVC Control for MadVR V1.3 .zip (491.8 KB, 103 views)
nathan_h and Bytehoven like this.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 04-19-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4161 Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I am not an expert in what the best bang for the buck or easiest or most accurate tools are. Personally I use a ColorMunki + HCFR because that is what I already had on hand.

If I was to start from scratch, I'd probably buy a Calman package.

But I am far from an expert in what is easiest or best or the best value.
I was thinking of going with Calman software the i1displayPro which Spyder do I need the 4 or 5 and which version I am doing a JVC x550r

Thanks
post #2703 of 4161 Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASOFO View Post
I will definately update you with the results and I super appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks again!

Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Once you connect your projector to your router with an Ethernet cable, it will work. You could move the router to the theater room for an hour.

If it helps, made a guide for importing premade curves here. The steps should very similar for you (Steps 4-7 should work for you, perhaps a minor difference in the software layout).

Let us know how it goes!

I do have a Wi-Fi Extender in my theater room, I wonder if I can plug into the Ethernet port on it...I will try it and post the results.

Marantz 8802A Processor, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R MonoblocksX3, Emotiva XPA -7 Gen 3
Oppo 205 Ultra HD/Blu-Ray Player, JVC-DLA RS620U Projector, Dark Energy 127-Inch ALR Screen
Tekton Ulfberht’s Mains,Tekton Ulfberht Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave and Two Seaton F18+'s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 4161 Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Here is a quick How To regarding selecting the relevant calibration in the JVC from MadVR.

This is part 1, I'll post more information regarding the best calibration settings especially when using MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion when I have the time.

I used Stanger89's code from Arve's tool as a starting point to create a python file and a batch file for each user mode. All the details are in the PDF in the attached ZIP.

With these, you can ask MadVR to select a specific calibration in the projector when playing SDR BT2020 content using its excellent pixel shader math HDR to SDR conversion (see JVC 2015 owner thread for details), and select the SDR calibration once the HDR content is played.

This is NOT a step-by-step guide for newbies. It's just to share the knowledge with advanced users so they can help others and make a guide for newbies if they have the time and inclination.

I won't have the time to provide support for this, but it's probably better to keep the discussion in this thread so that we don't hijack the owner's thread with technical posts.

I wrote this very quickly, so please forgive typos etc.
Thanks.

Manni FYI, User 5.py prints user 1 not user 5 to the screen in the code.

To others, this doesn't work with the later JVC models besides the XX00 series due to a model number mismatch in Arves code. Right now I am getting an unknown model error. I did some digging and was able to fix it. You need to have the command prompt open to see the unknown model number error in order to find out the model number of the projector, once I had that I went into jvc_command.py and edited the following code lines to include the newer model, so those of you with a JVC model later than the RS600/9000 series you will need to do this, those with the RS640/9900 series will either need to let me know your model number you are getting in command prompt or edit the code yourself to add a new line once again with your model.

'ILAFPJ -- XHR3' is the model number for the RS620/9900 year model projector line. And there is only one model number for the entire line that year, so people with the RS640 and 9900 you will need to attempt to run the batch file inside a command prompt window to find out what your model number is when you see the error and add the new line.

Code:
class Model(ReadOnly, Enum):
    """Projector model code"""
    DLA_X550R_X5000_XC5890R_RS400 = b'ILAFPJ -- XHP1'
    DLA_XC6890 = b'ILAFPJ -- XHP2'
    DLA_X750R_X7000_XC7890R_RS500_X950R_X9000_RS600_PX1 = b'ILAFPJ -- XHP3'
    DLA_X770R_X7500_RS520_X970R_X9500_RS620_PX1 = b'ILAFPJ -- XHR3'
Save the file, you will now have your model recognised and the picture mode switching will work. P.S there is no user 6 on the newer models either, so I reccomend you just delete those user mode files as they will do nothing.

Now to fix the time out issue reported by manni for selecting picture modes, notably those which include the filter then switching to a mode which does not include the filter, we need to increase the timeout from 5 seconds to 15 seconds in the same jvc_command.py file.

For me, once I had included the new line with my model number, you will need to edit the following value to 15 (in bold). starting at line 561 in the code.

Or more simply, You can just search the file for the term timeout and you should be in the right place.

Code:
def set(self, cmd, val, verify=True):
        """Send operation command"""
        cmdcode, valtype = cmd.value
        assert not issubclass(valtype, ReadOnly), '{} is a read only command'.format(cmd)
        val = valtype(val)
        assert(isinstance(val, valtype)), '{} is not {}'.format(val, valtype)
        try:
            if issubclass(valtype, BinaryData):
                self.conn.cmd_op(cmdcode, sendrawdata=val.value)
            else:
                self.conn.cmd_op(cmdcode+val.value, acktimeout=15)
        except CommandNack as err:
            raise CommandNack('Set: ' + err.args[0], cmd.name, val)

if not verify or issubclass(valtype, NoVerify):
            return

verify_val = self.get(cmd)
        if verify_val != val:
            raise CommandNack('Verify error: ' + cmd.name, val, verify_val)
Save again, and all should be well. Mode switching should no longer throw errors.

p.s. There also seems to be a bug with 0.92.11 where for some people the 'Command line to execute when this profile is activated' does not work, unfortunately its not working for me either. Some others may experience the same thing.

There is a bug submitted by another user here: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210

I also did download the test build submitted by @madshi on that link, but its still not working for me, it wont even open a text document on my desktop. So I will patiently wait for madshi to resolve it.

I guess I could roll back and see if an earlier version works.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 01-17-2018 at 11:31 PM.
post #2705 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hi,

I've been reading in this forum for a long time, especially about the ARVE tool. But this is my first post here.

Last summer while a calibration workshop I met a nice guy from switzerland who showed me the ARVE Tool and helped me with the custom curves.

Then I saw a thread about madVR and the upscaling of Blurays für 4K on facebook from Anna&Flo. Since December I can play 4k content with dynamic HDR.

I made a lot of comparison to my gamma curves and I am as enthusiastic as Manni !

I calibarated my JVC RS-500 to BT.2020. My madVR goes out with BT.2020 Gamma 2.2 12 Bit RGB 4:4:4, no matter what source I have (if it is 24p).
I never have to switch user modes in the jvc. And a great advantage : I don't have the long black screen the jvc's have when you switch modes.

I wrote a short introduction in madVR in german : www . partyfotos . de / madVR /

Greetings from Germany

Bernd
VideoGrabber, nathan_h and Manni01 like this.

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
post #2706 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndFfm View Post
Hi,

I've been reading in this forum for a long time, especially about the ARVE tool. But this is my first post here.

Last summer while a calibration workshop I met a nice guy from switzerland who showed me the ARVE Tool and helped me with the custom curves.

Then I saw a thread about madVR and the upscaling of Blurays für 4K on facebook from Anna&Flo. Since December I can play 4k content with dynamic HDR.

I made a lot of comparison to my gamma curves and I am as enthusiastic as Manni !

I calibarated my JVC RS-500 to BT.2020. My madVR goes out with BT.2020 Gamma 2.2 12 Bit RGB 4:4:4, no matter what source I have (if it is 24p).
I never have to switch user modes in the jvc. And a great advantage : I don't have the long black screen the jvc's have when you switch modes.

I wrote a short introduction in madVR in german : www . partyfotos . de / madVR /

Greetings from Germany

Bernd
Yes but unless you have less than 50nits actual PeakY you are compromising SDR for HDR, or HDR for SDR if you keep the same BT2020 calibration for SDR and HDR. You need to select a different baseline for each otherwise you are raising the black floor and killing your on/off contrast in SDR if you use the best calibration for HDR (high lamp, iris open, filter on), or you are killing the highlights in HDR if you are using the best calibration for SDR (lowest iris setting to get 50nits, usually low lamp, no filter).

It works great if you don't mind the compromise.

I'll soon post recommendations to get the best for all content, based on the JVC control posted here.

I've updated it to V1.1:

Changelog:

V1.1 Jan-18-2018: minor cosmetic correction in JVC_USER5.py, added support and extended timeout value for more recent models. The issue with MadVR not sending the command on exit is still there, included with the latest test build. I have no problems with the commands when I launch the .bat files directly, or if I send them in MadVR on start-up. It's only from MadVR that the batch that should run on exit doesn't run. Will investigate in MadVR's thread and update here when fixed. Full change log in the PDF. There is no need to update from V1.0 to V1.1 if you don't have a more recent model.
nathan_h and BerndFfm like this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 01-18-2018 at 02:26 AM.
post #2707 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I narrowed down the issue to Kodi not being able to execute python scripts, no matter how many .bat files its buried under at the end of the day its still the Kodi app which is executing them, it seems because Kodi has its own Python installation, it seems to be attempting to run it from that and its encountering errors.

One I figured out to chain bat files thanks to @madshi for troubleshooting if MadVR was the cause (it is not) then I finally got some dos output on what's actually going on.

Still troubleshooting this, but I am assuming this issue is going to affect all Kodi users attempting to do these MadVR user mode switching scripts.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2708 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
It's probably a matter of PATH settings or something like that. If you figure it out, you should be able to fix it by manually setting the PATH (or some other SET variable), working directory etc in the batch file before running the python file. Or alternatively do "C:\CorrectPythonPath\python.exe some.py" to force the right python version to be used.
post #2709 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's probably a matter of PATH settings or something like that. If you figure it out, you should be able to fix it by manually setting the PATH (or some other SET variable), working directory etc in the batch file before running the python file. Or alternatively do "C:\CorrectPythonPath\python.exe some.py" to force the right python version to be used.
Hi Madshi,

I was about to post in the MadVR thread but let's do it here if you prefer.

No it's not a path issue, at least here.

I've done more testing with the external commands, using only MPC-BE to rule out possible issues with MCE/MyMovies.

If I launch my .bat files directly from the desktop, they all run fine.

If I launch them from the external command when the profile is enabled, they run fine too.

If I swap the one that should run when the profile is disabled with the one that runs fine when the profile is enabled, it runs fine too.

So as far as I can see, the external command works fine when the profile is enabled, but not when the profile is disabled.

I always add a pause command to batch files when I do testing, and as far as I can see there is no command file launched at all on profile disable.

I tried the test build and it doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure this calibration thread is the best place to discuss this, so please let me know where you'd like to take the discussion.

Thanks!
Soulnight likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 01-18-2018 at 02:43 AM.
post #2710 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably it's out of topic here, so doom9 might be a better place, at least for you because you have an active doom9 account. Not sure if Javs is on doom9. In any case your issue sounds to be a completely different one to the one Javs has.
Manni01 likes this.
post #2711 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I tried forcing the correct python exe to run it, but still the same problem. No matter, its not MadVR's fault, so I will try and continue to troubleshoot the problem on my end and report back here when I have a solution.

-
post #2712 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably it's out of topic here, so doom9 might be a better place, at least for you because you have an active doom9 account. Not sure if Javs is on doom9. In any case your issue sounds to be a completely different one to the one Javs has.
Yes, but Javs was conflating the issues and as I have already mentioned my separate issue in Doom9 yesterday I didn't want you to think it was the same. Do you want me to re-post in Doom9, or will you simply reply there?

post #2713 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
[QUOTE=Manni01;55520344]Yes but unless you have less than 50nits actual PeakY you are compromising SDR for HDR, or HDR for SDR if you keep the same BT2020 calibration for SDR and HDR. You need to select a different baseline for each otherwise you are raising the black floor and killing your on/off contrast in SDR if you use the best calibration for HDR (high lamp, iris open, filter on), or you are killing the highlights in HDR if you are using the best calibration for SDR (lowest iris setting to get 50nits, usually low lamp, no filter). It works great if you don't mind the compromise.[/URL].

I am beginner in beamer and calibration. My HTPC can show 4K content since one week and without dropped frames since yesterday !

I play SDR and HDR content with low lamp, auto iris and with DCI filter. But now I will start to optimize the whole system.

I look forward with great expectation to your recommendations for the settings to get the best for all content.

One more wish I have : While playing SDR content I would like to spread green and red over 75% in the BT2020 color space. Like Sony is doing this with XDR and Samsung with HDR Plus.
And like JVC's Picture Mode "Normal".

Bernd

Home Cinema with : Onkyo 1009, Nubert, JVC RS-500, madVR
post #2714 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Manni , I don't want to do extensive madVR bug search in a JVC Calibration Software thread, if I can avoid it. So I'd prefer if we moved this to doom9.
Bytehoven and Manni01 like this.
post #2715 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi Manni, please, can you attach the latest versions of the premade gamma curves? Yours and those of Dominic and the differences between each of them. Thanks
post #2716 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo53 View Post
Hi Manni, please, can you attach the latest versions of the premade gamma curves? Yours and those of Dominic and the differences between each of them. Thanks
No, sorry, not spending time with custom curves anymore, too much to do with MadVR and not enough time. Check the links in the first post.

post #2717 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Solved the issue with MadVR on custom profile disabled, will explain in next version when I post a revision but the gist is that the command on disable in only launched when the content changes, i.e. when you start another video calling a different profile. It makes sense and it means the Vertex should pick up the change the next time content is played if not HDR. It's just not possible to get SDR 709 back for the interface after playback of the HDR title. No big deal. Moving on to calibration/settings now that it's possible to call the correct calibration automatically.

I've asked Madshi to see if he could find a way to use a custom API to report SDR BT2020 so that the Vertex can pick it up and we wouldn't need the JVC Control from MadVR at all if we have a Vertex. This would be better for iRule users (or anyone using IP control to control the JVC, as this is not compatible with MadVR IP control in parallel) who are forced to use a universal IR remote (as RS-232 is used by the Vertex).

post #2718 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4318 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo53 View Post
Here's the latest DVE:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...#post55492380d

You may also want to look at Dreamliner's guide which provides many useful links:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55489730
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-18-2018 at 07:22 AM.
post #2719 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 60
All, couple questions for the experts.

1) Looking at getting a vertex shortly. Any specific USB to serial/DB9/RS232 cable or do most work? Local shop has them so was hoping to pick one up (if HD Fury doesn't include)

2) Am following all these threads with custom curves, using Arve's tool, JVC Autocal etc. Am getting more informed and appreciate everyone's input on these forums. With the latest news from Manni, I am intrigued and looking at my options. I have ATV4k as main source for movies/TV, etc. Works very well into my Denon AVR and then to JVC but thinking about this MadVR, Oppo component as a video processor. Given I will be watching 95% of my content from ATV4k, will the input on the Oppo 203 or 205 allow me to have the Oppo do video processing to the correct BT2390 (when firmware available) and all the correct processing to get the best HDR picture possible? What other options do I have for ATV4k input using MadVR? Any?

Thanks all!
post #2720 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
Given I will be watching 95% of my content from ATV4k, will the input on the Oppo 203 or 205 allow me to have the Oppo do video processing to the correct BT2390 (when firmware available) and all the correct processing to get the best HDR picture possible? What other options do I have for ATV4k input using MadVR? Any?

Thanks all!
We don't know yet since the Oppo firmware with the improved HDR>SDR2020 tone mapping is not available, but in the Oppo thread there is a consensus that currently feeding an HDR10 source into the Oppo allows the Oppo to map to their present SDR2020 output just fine, so the hypothesis is that it will be able to apply any improvements to that tone mapping to external HDR10 sources, as well.

If so, and if the results are as good as Kris implies, I may be getting an Oppo 203 (again -- I bought it the week it came out but once we don't custom HDR curves on the JVC, it was overkill, and I replaced it with a Sony UHD player) since half of my HDR viewing is with the ATV4K as well.
post #2721 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
All, couple questions for the experts.

1) Looking at getting a vertex shortly. Any specific USB to serial/DB9/RS232 cable or do most work? Local shop has them so was hoping to pick one up (if HD Fury doesn't include)
You don't need a USB to serial cable for anything Vertex or JVC Calibration related.

Quote:
2) Am following all these threads with custom curves, using Arve's tool, JVC Autocal etc. Am getting more informed and appreciate everyone's input on these forums. With the latest news from Manni, I am intrigued and looking at my options. I have ATV4k as main source for movies/TV, etc. Works very well into my Denon AVR and then to JVC but thinking about this MadVR, Oppo component as a video processor. Given I will be watching 95% of my content from ATV4k, will the input on the Oppo 203 or 205 allow me to have the Oppo do video processing to the correct BT2390 (when firmware available) and all the correct processing to get the best HDR picture possible? What other options do I have for ATV4k input using MadVR? Any?
madVR doesn't apply to you, it only applies to unprotected content, played from a PC, namely UHD Blu-ray rips. I don't know about the Oppo, I think it can do Strip Metadata on the HDMI input, but you'd be best off to ask in the Oppo thread. As for other options, the only other options are:
1) Custom HDR calibration on your JVC
2) Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #2722 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You don't need a USB to serial cable for anything Vertex or JVC Calibration related.

madVR doesn't apply to you, it only applies to unprotected content, played from a PC, namely UHD Blu-ray rips. I don't know about the Oppo, I think it can do Strip Metadata on the HDMI input, but you'd be best off to ask in the Oppo thread. As for other options, the only other options are:
1) Custom HDR calibration on your JVC
2) Lumagen Radiance Pro

Hey Stanger are you using Kodi?

I am interested if you are, if you can help troubleshoot getting these python files to run via the batch files in the MadVR settings.

The problem is the python files are attempting to run from within Kodi, and Kodi has its own built in Python libs etc, so its trying to specifically use those and not the systems Python installation. At least, that seems to me to be the crux of the issue. I have tried all sorts of commands (I am not an expert but pretty savvy) to try and get the correct Python exe to run the file by specifiying the correct location via a couple of methods, but Kodi keeps tripping up on it and throwing this error:

As you can see its encountering an error from within the kodi directory, which seems to be proof its ignoring everything and attempting to execute its own version of Python to run the .py file.

Would appreciate some help. I think I am out of ideas here.

I even thought we could do it via Kodi scripts, and we should be able to, but that's another issue, they don't seem to have updated syntax for HDR or 2160p tagging, if they did have the same rules and syntax as MadVR does in terms of easily identifying content via some variables we could just run the bat file from Kodi's scripting in tandem with MadVRs profile switching for colour spaces, but actually, I think we would still run into the same issue here there too.

-
post #2723 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Here's the latest DVE:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...#post55492380d

You may also want to look at Dreamliner's guide which provides many useful links:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55489730
Thanks! Dominic
post #2724 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hey Stanger are you using Kodi?

I am interested if you are, if you can help troubleshoot getting these python files to run via the batch files in the MadVR settings.
OK, I got it, but the solution is not pretty right now, so be warned (well scratch that, I fixed it quite a bit since I started typing this, but it's still rough, and I'm not really happy with it).

The problem is Kodi has setup it's own python path environment variables, so when the command shell is called, it inherits those variables, we need to fix them, basically remove the Kodi crap. The "quick" hack is to explicitly set the python path before calling the python files:
Code:
@echo off
REM echo %~dp0
REM "Delete" any modifications to the python paths 
REM done by the caller, ie Kodi
set PYTHONHOME=
set PYTHONPATH=
REM Set the current directory to the location of jvcprojectortools
REM This is key, since they expect the network settings to be in the current directory
cd %~dp0\jvcprojectortools-0.0.2\
call python %~dp0\jvcprojectortools-0.0.2\jvc_user6.py
REM pause
I want to look into a better way to do this, because it's getting less and less, how should we say it, "user friendly". At this stage anyone who wants to use this will have to modify at least the batch files, if not the python files. I know there's got to be a better way to do this.

While doing that, I was getting really frustrated with the fact that there are so many files floating around, so I think I'm going to rewrite them so there's only one python file, one batch file and that you pass in the picture mode you want as an argument. But that will take a bit longer.
Javs likes this.
post #2725 of 4161 Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I got it, but the solution is not pretty right now, so be warned (well scratch that, I fixed it quite a bit since I started typing this, but it's still rough, and I'm not really happy with it).

The problem is Kodi has setup it's own python path environment variables, so when the command shell is called, it inherits those variables, we need to fix them, basically remove the Kodi crap. The "quick" hack is to explicitly set the python path before calling the python files:
Code:
@echo off
REM echo %~dp0
REM "Delete" any modifications to the python paths 
REM done by the caller, ie Kodi
set PYTHONHOME=
set PYTHONPATH=
REM Set the current directory to the location of jvcprojectortools
REM This is key, since they expect the network settings to be in the current directory
cd %~dp0\jvcprojectortools-0.0.2\
call python %~dp0\jvcprojectortools-0.0.2\jvc_user6.py
REM pause
I want to look into a better way to do this, because it's getting less and less, how should we say it, "user friendly". At this stage anyone who wants to use this will have to modify at least the batch files, if not the python files. I know there's got to be a better way to do this.

While doing that, I was getting really frustrated with the fact that there are so many files floating around, so I think I'm going to rewrite them so there's only one python file, one batch file and that you pass in the picture mode you want as an argument. But that will take a bit longer.
Great work! I'm happy to have whatever I need in the batch file. Mine no longer look anything like the originals anyway, so much tweaking, much quicker ways to do the same thing as before, but yeah I don't mind having a longer batch file if it does the job.

That's for jumping in.

-
post #2726 of 4161 Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course an alternative approach would be to figure out why Kodi's own python installation doesn't work for you and fix that. No idea if that's better/easier, just a thought.
Javs likes this.
post #2727 of 4161 Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Of course an alternative approach would be to figure out why Kodi's own python installation doesn't work for you and fix that. No idea if that's better/easier, just a thought.
Kodi's based on python 2.x (I assume 2.7), where as Arve's tool "requires" python 3.x. There are some significant syntax differences between the two, significant in that 2.7 files won't work in 3.x without modification. Since we can't, practically, modify Kodi to work in 3.x, the question is, does Arve's tool really need 3.x, or more to the point, do the parts that we need for this, require 3.x. If they don't, or if we can do some "from __future__ import " magic on them, then that's easy. Otherwise we're going to require workarounds like the above.
post #2728 of 4161 Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Ok, but I thought that is how the Vertex communicates with JVC to auto switch the profiles/user settings?
post #2729 of 4161 Old 01-19-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Ok, but I thought that is how the Vertex communicates with JVC to auto switch the profiles/user settings?
It uses a "regular" phono to DB9 serial cable. It comes with a short one. I just got a long stereo headphone cable to extend it. There should be links in the RS600 thread to cables people are using.
nathan_h likes this.
post #2730 of 4161 Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded from a JVC RS49 to an RS600. I did a manual calibration in Calman with an iDisplay Pro for Rec.709/D65/Gamma 2.4 followed by madvr 3D LUT generation in Calman, and achieved excellent results. However, I'm now looking to perform an SDR BT.2020 calibration for use with madvr's HDR ot SDR pixel shader option. Instructions/guidance for BT.2020 calibration is much harder to find than standard Rec.709.

The Spectracal forum (http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...hp?f=92&t=6031) and tutorial video for HDR10 (
) indicates that when calibrating for BT.2020, you must either limit the saturation level to 50% or select DCI-P3 saturation sweeps since no TV or projector can display 100% of BT.2020. While our projectors should be able to hit nearly 100% of DCI-P3, I'm using an older version of Calman so I only have the option of limiting saturation sweeps to 50%. Presumably, I could create a new mode for SDR BT.2020 with the BT.2020 color profile (which engages the filter), manually calibrate the PJ using the gamma, 2 point greyscale, contrast, and brightness options, and then generate a BT.2020/Gamma 2.4/D65 3DLUT with 50% saturation sweeps.

Alternatively, DisplayCal/ArgylCMS can generate a madvr 3DLUT for BT.2020 as well. However, I don't see any option in DisplayCal to limit the saturation sweeps to DCI-P3 or a specific saturation level. Moreover, DisplayCal only provides TV levels (16-235) for the 3D LUT generator. I've setup the RS600, the Nvidia driver, and madvr all to PC level (0-255), which is the madvr recommendation. Calman allows PC levels for the madvr 3DLUT generator but an Administrator on the DisplayCal forum claims that madvr can only accept a 16-235 input (https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/to...th-displaycal/). DisplayCal has a tutorial for 3DLUT generation but it only addresses Rec.709 (https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-l...vr-or-eecolor/).

At this point, Calman seems like the best bet unless someone can give some guidance for using DisplayCal correctly.

Another question is whether there is a minimum level of brightness needed even for an HDR --> SDR calibration. I have a fully light controlled room (black velvet on walls and ceiling, black rug, dark furniture with velvet throws) with no ambient light so I calibrated my Rec.709 mode to 13FL (Low, -10 Bulb) and it is plenty bright to my eyes. However, my understanding is that greater brightness is needed for HDR, even when converting to SDR. Any recommendations for a FL/nit target in a fully light controlled room? I'm viewing on a 120" unity gain 16:9 screen from an 11' distance.

TLDR: Basically, I'm just looking for some guidance on doing an SDR BT.2020 calibration as this is my first foray into HDR/BT.2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page