Sony SXRD Degradation Thread - Effects All Current Sony SXRD 1080p/4K Panels - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 930Likes

post #2161 of 2177 Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Under the warranty period, there is record of Sony replacing many optical blocks. That should bring the performance back to new. How much trouble Sony gives you on the warranty repair may vary. Some have no issues while other have had to threaten legal action. It is all over the map. My advice would be the following:

1. Enlist the help of your dealer if possible

2. Start to gather data on panel issues. The biggest ones are major color issues and uncorrectable gamma.

3. If you can rule out a bulb issue. That seems to be their 1st fall back.

4. Get a well known calibrator to issue a report on your unit. It may cost you some money but could be critical in getting a new unit or credit.

Just my 2cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post
Wow this is a lot of information to digest. I spent a lot of time reading but surprisingly still have these questions, particularly as they pertain to the Sony 45es:

Is the degradation covered while under the 3-year manufacturer warranty?

If yes, is Sony accommodating or do they resist a warranty claim?

How would I prove panel degradation w/o equipment?

How long does it take Sony to fix it?

Does repair result in like-new performance?

Is the repair permanent? If not, how long before the issue resurfaces?

Finally, can we assume that factory refurbished 45es projectors have had this issue addressed/repaired?
Birddoggin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2177 Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Under the warranty period, there is record of Sony replacing many optical blocks. That should bring the performance back to new.

It didn't on my 55ES. I don't recall the numbers before and after, I'd have to dig them up somewhere on my computer, but I was very disappointed after the optical block was replaced. I gave that piece of junk to my son, who enjoys it, and doesn't care if black means varying shades of grey.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #2163 of 2177 Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 381
That is sad to hear maybe they started c=getting even cheaper and using refurb optical blocks. This whole situation should have been a big black eye for Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It didn't on my 55ES. I don't recall the numbers before and after, I'd have to dig them up somewhere on my computer, but I was very disappointed after the optical block was replaced. I gave that piece of junk to my son, who enjoys it, and doesn't care if black means varying shades of grey.
TheSony4KRises likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2177 Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Bought a used 45ES from the classifieds here about a year ago. had about 1k hours on it. After about 500 hours, I put a new bulb in. That one is at about 1k now. Everything was great until last night I noticed some yellow splotches on the main Kodi menu. I thought that may have been part of the Kodi skin or something, but it isn't.

Is there any way to fix this outside of warranty? I just tried googling for optical blocks...
post #2165 of 2177 Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11661 Post(s)
Liked: 9221
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
Bought a used 45ES from the classifieds here about a year ago. had about 1k hours on it. After about 500 hours, I put a new bulb in. That one is at about 1k now. Everything was great until last night I noticed some yellow splotches on the main Kodi menu. I thought that may have been part of the Kodi skin or something, but it isn't.

Is there any way to fix this outside of warranty? I just tried googling for optical blocks...
Take a picture. Sounds like you could be talking about dust blobs. Can you adjust focus on the projector and bring the spots into focus?
Archibald1 likes this.
post #2166 of 2177 Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
I've got purple discoloration from my 40ES (which is also out of warranty), I was thinking of sending the unit to the repair center linked below.

They are based in Los Angeles so you'd have to ship it to them if you're not in that area.

https://digitronav.com/
gooch02000 likes this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #2167 of 2177 Old 06-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
I've got purple discoloration from my 40ES (which is also out of warranty), I was thinking of sending the unit to the repair center linked below.

They are based in Los Angeles so you'd have to ship it to them if you're not in that area.

https://digitronav.com/
Any particular reason you are looking to use them? I assume an option like this is preferable to fighting with Sony for support if out of warranty?

I still plan on keeping mine for many more years. Nothing compelling has come out to replace it, and the price point is the same or higher for something comparable, even 7 years later.

I would be very interested in what a 3rd party who has seen many Sony projectors has to say about the degradation frequency and seriousness.
TheSony4KRises likes this.

Matt
post #2168 of 2177 Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I checked it out on my HTPC monitor and it's the same color.

So, I might just be an idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_214618_1559789825074.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2576492  
post #2169 of 2177 Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
I checked it out on my HTPC monitor and it's the same color.

So, I might just be an idiot.
Ahhh yes, the ID 10T error is a common one!
G-Rex, gooch02000 and Mike Garrett like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #2170 of 2177 Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I still plan on keeping mine for many more years. Nothing compelling has come out to replace it, and the price point is the same or higher for something comparable, even 7 years later.
I'm not trolling! JVC has had it's share of black-eyes too. I had an RS-20 that became a door-stop with the dreaded magenta stripe. It took years for them to earn my trust back as they journeyed through one dim model with poor lamp life (explosions, even) after another.

But then the RS500/600 came out and I just hate to see people ignore it as a possibility because my wife, our guests and I enjoy it so much. 3.5 years later we're still on the original bulb with my wife asking me to turn it down sometimes on a 10' wide SMX AT 16:9 screen. I've lost 10% of the original 1680 calibrated lumen output at the 2,000 hour mark.

It will do 97% of DCI color, fade to blacks are complete for a few seconds, and the faux-4k has to be viewed freeze-frame and viewed from a couple of feet to see differences from true 4k. Implementation of HDR really sucks, though, so get at least an RS520/620 if you're interested in that.

It is a spectacular image. This is the machine that made 3 experts here on AVS sell off their $40k SIM2 Lumis projectors.

They're pretty cheap on the used market... just a thought.
post #2171 of 2177 Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not trolling! JVC has had it's share of black-eyes too. I had an RS-20 that became a door-stop with the dreaded magenta stripe. It took years for them to earn my trust back as they journeyed through one dim model with poor lamp life (explosions, even) after another.

But then the RS500/600 came out and I just hate to see people ignore it as a possibility because my wife, our guests and I enjoy it so much. 3.5 years later we're still on the original bulb with my wife asking me to turn it down sometimes on a 10' wide SMX AT 16:9 screen. I've lost 10% of the original 1680 calibrated lumen output at the 2,000 hour mark.

It will do 97% of DCI color, fade to blacks are complete for a few seconds, and the faux-4k has to be viewed freeze-frame and viewed from a couple of feet to see differences from true 4k. Implementation of HDR really sucks, though, so get at least an RS520/620 if you're interested in that.

It is a spectacular image. This is the machine that made 3 experts here on AVS sell off their $40k SIM2 Lumis projectors.

They're pretty cheap on the used market... just a thought.
I consider the 400, 500 and 600 as ground breaking projectors. JVC greatly increased brightness while keep their class leading contrast, added HDR and gave full 18 Gbps HDMI, all at a great price point. On top of that, the 500 and 600 could do nearly 100% of DCI P3 color space with BT2020.
erkq likes this.
post #2172 of 2177 Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
has anyone had luck repairing this issue out of warranty? i'm pretty dissapointed that my $2000 ends up having an optical block life that's about as long as a bulb. literally would have to replace them at the same time. i wish i found this thread earlier before warranty ran out this fall because i could have sworn that the inky blacks from when i first got it had dulled and the "black bars" in letter box had gotten brighter. i'll be very skeptical of buying sony projectors in the future which is sad because i otherwise love the lack of screen door effect and no color wheel rainbow that lcos provides and sonys had great input lag for gaming compared to the rest of the field.
post #2173 of 2177 Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkyle View Post
i otherwise love the lack of screen door effect and no color wheel rainbow that lcos provides and sonys had great input lag for gaming compared to the rest of the field.
lcos has no screen door effect or rainbows. JVC's DILA variant is state-of-the art.
post #2174 of 2177 Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
lcos has no screen door effect or rainbows. JVC's DILA variant is state-of-the art.
yeah, that's what i'm fiding out. sxrd is just sony brand for lcos, jvc is the only other player and doing it better with the exception of input lag, brightness, and cost.
post #2175 of 2177 Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah, that's what i'm fiding out. sxrd is just sony brand for lcos, jvc is the only other player and doing it better with the exception of input lag, brightness, and cost.
Starting with the RS400/500/600 models JVC became a light canon. Calibrated with a 3D LUT and 33 step grayscale mine puts out 1680 lumens. And it's lost only 10% in 3.5 years! But, yeah... before that they were nothing to write home about.

They tried to do some low-lag modes in the more recent models. My RS500 does not have that. I'm an R/C hobbyist and I tried to run an R/C flight sim on it. I could do nothing but crash. It's lots of fun on my laptop but on the RS500 it's completely impossible to fly any high performance plane, heli or racing quad. My wife was funny... "what is WRONG with you tonight?" She's seen me fly at the field and this was... um... different.

Cost... not any more than a Sony as I remember.

Last edited by erkq; 06-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #2176 of 2177 Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 2778
Quote:
Huh what? JVC LCoS projectors are brighter than Sony's (minus the 5000ES for $60k). Otherwise across the board, the JVC's have equal or slightly more lumens. The cost depends on the country you're in and the model. JVC stomps all over Sony cost wise in USA. It may be the opposite in Europe. Input lag is very close within 10ms. Also not an issue.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #2177 of 2177 Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM

Quote:
JVC now has low lag, very close to Sony, so this is now a wash. JVC is as bright or brighter than Sony, so this is now a wash. As for price, in Europe Sony is cheaper. In the US, JVC is cheaper. You did leave out one important difference. Native contrast goes to JVC.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; Yesterday at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page