Sony SXRD Degradation Thread - Effects All Current Sony SXRD 1080p/4K Panels - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 943Likes

post #2191 of 2201 Old 07-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any of the Sony VLP HW series that is less known to have panel degradation than others ? HW45 for example ?

This is the only new Sony projector i would consider replacing the HW55 with in the price range of 1600-1700 EUR

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2201 Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 AM

The HW55es is going back to the shop and ìll get my money back
It was a problem with the panel as you guys suggested and to fix it Sony have to replace the whole block according to the guy i talked to at support(very friendly support by the way)

They couldn't offer me a different or fixed HW55 as they didn't think Sony would do it as changing the block would cost more than the projector costed

Im fine with that, maybe if i had argued about it things could have happened but i dont really want to use time on that, i want a new projector and enjoy movies now

Im better of buying a new HW45es at my local store, it will be 500 EUR more than this shop could offer me a HW45 for
But they will also give me superior Warranty for 6 years, if something should happen i dont even have to deal with Sony personally as my local store will deal with everything, and for smaller repairs they could even do it in the shop they said

What would you guys do ?
take a new 45es with 2 years of warranty for 1700 EUR and having to deal with Sony your self

Or go for a HW45es with superior 6 years of warranty for 2200 EUR
where the local shop deals with Sony and also fix smaller things in the shop if needed/possible

I hope some of my posts and answers from you guys will help somebody else if they should have this problem
post #2193 of 2201 Old 07-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Personally I wouldn’t buy another Sony (I’ve owned 2). Are you able to see an Epson in action?
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2194 of 2201 Old 07-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Personally I wouldn’t buy another Sony (I’ve owned 2). Are you able to see an Epson in action?

Hi

I really like the picture on the Sony, i also like the motion on it more than my DLP
Im not ready to buy a lot of 4k content yet so if im going to pick a different projector than the Sony it has to beat the Sony or being just as good playing1080p Blu-ray content to make sense to me as i have a good chunk of Blu-Ray`s im going to keep

The only Epson they have in the same price range is the EH-TW7400,

im not willing to shell out more than 2200 EUR as this is the projector im going to use until native 4k projectors gets more affordable

Thanks
magicj1 likes this.
post #2195 of 2201 Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

What would you guys do ?
take a new 45es with 2 years of warranty for 1700 EUR and having to deal with Sony your self

where the local shop deals with Sony and also fix smaller things in the shop if needed/possible

None of the above. I've owned a 55ES and a VW60, both suffered panel degradation. When the optical block was replaced in the 55ES, the contrast was still poor.

I'd suggest looking at JVC. I've been very happy with the two I've owned, calibrated properly.
magicj1 and Slonopot like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #2196 of 2201 Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
What would you guys do ?

I'd do the 1700 EUR, too much money for an additional 4 years warranty on an entry level Sony projector.
post #2197 of 2201 Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
None of the above. I've owned a 55ES and a VW60, both suffered panel degradation. When the optical block was replaced in the 55ES, the contrast was still poor.

I'd suggest looking at JVC. I've been very happy with the two I've owned, calibrated properly.
I would love having a JVC but getting a new JVC will go way over my limit of 2200 EUR and im not buying anything used after getting the defect Demo used HW55es, this experience got me so scared that im still considering paying 500 EUR extra for a 6 years warranty on the HW45es LOL,

2200 EUR is steep for a 1080p projector but again coming from a W1070 the Sony picture and motion really wows me , blows what im coming from out of the water, i heard so many times that dlp motion is superior but my eyes doesn't agree when i look at the SXRD panels vs my Benq

The Sony is a superb upgrade coming from a Benq W1070, but i think of it as a stepping stone where i can be truly happy watching my Blu-Ray collection for a good amount of time while im waiting for 4k to go prime time and getting more affordable
There isn't much evidence that the HW45/65 models suffer that much with panel degradation, at least i haven't found much negative on them using google and searching the threads and also asking for it specifically in threads

The next upgrade after the Sony then im planning on a JVC as JVC blacks is still unmatched as far as i know from a lot of research , and by that time im going for a upgrade i hopefully also have a bat cave to fully take advantage of the JVC

Thanks
post #2198 of 2201 Old 07-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
I'd do the 1700 EUR, too much money for an additional 4 years warranty on an entry level Sony projector.

Im still going back and forth on this one

For the 2200 EUR 6 years warranty deal i think it will be easier to sell HW45 in 4 years with 2 years of warranty left so that could be an advantage, but then again in 4 years 1080p is probably not something you can even buy new anymore in stores and i wont get much for the Sony as everyone is looking for a 4k e-shift and native 4k

The other advantage would be to save 500 EUR, but having to struggle with Sony personally if it need a warranty fix, having to deal with Sony personally is off putting(mostly because i heard a lot of bad rumors) and the Sony HW45 will probably be worthless in 4 years without warranty
I also heard you have to pay shipment to Sony if you need to use the warranty for repairs
that's not the case with the local shop with the 6 year warranty deal

Im asking Sony directly about this trough e-mail right now, i also asked a lot of questions about how warranty works in reality and some other stuff mostly to get an impression how Sony is acting towards customers,
they need to earn my trust haha

If i don't have to pay shipment cost for warranty repairs to Sony it will get harder deciding,

then it will probably make more sense going for the HW45es 1700 EUR deal

Thanks

Edit: it turns out it was only the Demo used HW55es that had a 2 years warranty, the HW45 has 3 years
Ok, im going with the 1700 EUR deal

Edit 2 : Sony pays for the shipment when its a warranty repair(at least in EU, checked with the dealer), i don't want to give Sony unnecessary bad reputation

Last edited by jfjer; 08-02-2019 at 12:26 AM.
post #2199 of 2201 Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Is it only the Sony's which have this OB degradation issue: which I had on 2 tv's and my ES300 pj which fortunately was under warranty? Looking at the NX7 JVC, but I also had bad luck with the OB on that which was not degradation. Still love the Sony colour but concerned about setting myself up again for an OB issue if I go form the new 695
post #2200 of 2201 Old 08-02-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9545
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Is it only the Sony's which have this OB degradation issue: which I had on 2 tv's and my ES300 pj which fortunately was under warranty? Looking at the NX7 JVC, but I also had bad luck with the OB on that which was not degradation. Still love the Sony colour but concerned about setting myself up again for an OB issue if I go form the new 695
JVC had a glue failure with their optical block, but that was many years ago. JVC solved that starting with the RS40 forward.
post #2201 of 2201 Old 08-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've followed this thread for a long while and experienced this problem first hand.

I've puzzled over the relationship between no or low use degradation and high use stability.

I figure that these Sony panels are in some way hygroscopic, and absorb moisture, probably slowly, over time. Regular use would dry out any small amount of moisture, but low use, or no use would allow the moisture to build up.

Either the absorbed moisture directly degrades the panel by being in there, or it does damage when the projector is powered up and the heat forces it out.

The countermeasures that Sony claim to have applied would be to seal out moisture I would think...

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page