Panasonic PT-AE8000 vs Epson 5030UB - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Panasonic PT-AE8000 vs Epson 5030UB

I'm finally ready to make the big purchase, done some research, read a lot of reviews, and now want the opinions of owners and experts.

I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic PT-AE8000 vs Epson 5030UB...
Am I comparing an apple to an orange?
Is a projector from 2012/2013 still gonna compete against the projectors of 2015/2016?

I want to use it to watch movies as I have a dedicated room with no windows and will take any suggestions on how to DIY "right" to get the best out of my projector.

I would like to thank all comments in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Six of one or half a dozen of the other. Contrast and brightness are about the same, with the contrast being a bit higher on the Epson.
My self, I would move to the Epson as they still manufacture home projectors.
Plus there has been some negative comments with the joy stick control on the Panny.

Last edited by JeffR1; 12-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2015, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Both are great projectors. The Panasonic is probably one of the best 1080P projectors to ever be made. The Epson is newer, has similar specs, and will perform well also. The point about going with a company that is still manufacturing projectors has some merit... Panasonic got out of the game and won't be making more projectors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Plus, up here in Canada the Epson has a 2 year warranty, while the Panny only has one.

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...yId=43&menu=45
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in the same boat, looking for a projector of that quality/in that price range and the 5030UB seems to be top of the class. Projector Central rates it an editors choice and you can get a refurb unit from visual apex right now for 1699. Only downfall I've read is it's just ok for gaming which isn't important for me. Have you looked at the Sony HW40ES? It's right up there with the Epson, but I haven't seen it much cheaper then 1999 and it doesn't come with 3D glasses.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian OC View Post
I'm in the same boat, looking for a projector of that quality/in that price range and the 5030UB seems to be top of the class. Projector Central rates it an editors choice and you can get a refurb unit from visual apex right now for 1699. Only downfall I've read is it's just ok for gaming which isn't important for me. Have you looked at the Sony HW40ES? It's right up there with the Epson, but I haven't seen it much cheaper then 1999 and it doesn't come with 3D glasses.
Yeah I have but ever since the old CRT tube TV's when Sony made the Wega, I have a hate on for Sony... I hear it's better on some reviews.

I'm holding off till CES 2016 rolls on by, just incase there is something bigger and better than the good old 2013 models that are still rating the top of the charts.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
The Sony hw40 is another option.

A used / refurb / b-stock JVC would be even better if you are not doing much gaming, then pair it with a Square Trade warranty. Otherwise, I might recommend a Sony hw40 over the Epson, depends what you like.

If you are just going by pure picture quality...

JVC > Sony > Epson > Panasonic
(imo, and well the opinion of about 90% of the rest of AVS that have done serious reviews on these projectors)...

The Panasonic and Epson are closer in quality than the JVC and Epson, but the Epsons are sharper, brighter, and better blacks than the Panny. The JVC's generally best them all in sharpness, contrast, and features but it depends what you are looking for.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 01-04-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page