Sony VW365ES Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #61 of 372 Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked: 4336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I just read some comments by member @ConnecTEDDD over on an Xbox 1S thread talking about all the different modes it can output for various sources. I think it's from back in Feb. I'll see if I can find the link.

I think this is really more about the implementation in the Xbox than the 365, at least for UHD movies anyway. If you used a dedicated UHD Bluray player you wouldn't have issues connecting and playing HDR with those. The 60p limitation on games is real though and I think only an HDFury device can assist with that. You *may* be able to force the xbox1s into 4K60p 8 bit mode which the 365 should be able to accept.

P.S. - here's the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50740945
Hi Dave,

I have posted today about what is happening with 2160p60 movie playback from UltraHD disk with XBOX One S here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post51488673
Dave Harper likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 372 Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotCafe View Post
..... I havent tried any viewing sources per say, just the setup / status screen on both consoles. This is through the PS4 setup / status page & and XBox One S. I did sort of double check with a PS4 title Horizon Zero Dawn that has a HDR setting in the game and it also reported not supported.......
I think that's part of your issue. You have to actually start playing the UHD movie and it will kick in at 4K24p 4:2:2 10 bit UHD HDR WCG once it starts playing. It won't show the menus in HDR/WCG because those are in SDR as I believe and also the 365 doesn't accept 4K60p in 10 bit, which is needed for HDR and/or WCG. It only accepts it in 8 bit. Your PS4 game triggers the same limitation which is why it won't play that in HDR either.

I'm thinking an HDFury Linker would work well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi Dave,

I have posted today about what is happening with 2160p60 movie playback from UltraHD disk with XBOX One S here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post51488673
Thanks Ted! Hopefully the posts we linked have info that helps @BigShotCafe !
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #63 of 372 Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I think that's part of your issue. You have to actually start playing the UHD movie and it will kick in at 4K24p 4:2:2 10 bit UHD HDR WCG once it starts playing. It won't show the menus in HDR/WCG because those are in SDR as I believe and also the 365 doesn't accept 4K60p in 10 bit, which is needed for HDR and/or WCG. It only accepts it in 8 bit. Your PS4 game triggers the same limitation which is why it won't play that in HDR either.

I'm thinking an HDFury Linker would work well for you.

Then why would those screens exist to tell me that if they were not supported until activated or are you saying they are not active due to the 60p. If its the latter can I change the xbox or the ps4 to force 24p test that theory?

So, spec wise: vw365ES only supports 4k24p 4:2:2 10bit HDR or 4k60p 4:2:2 8bit noHDR. Is there any scenario where it accepts 4:4:4? (just curious on that one)

If I am following correctly so far, am I also correct in learning HDR10 is HDR in 10 bit, and thus the 365 is not compliant / doesnt support above 24p? If thats the case how the heck is Sony claiming they "support HDR"? (More like HDR "light") ;]

If I followed all that right, any murmerings of a firmarware update expanding on that or is a HW limitation / ceiling?

Dedicated 5370 sqft Theater for Movies, Music and Gaming. Just upgrading to 4k.
Sony VPL-VW365ES < Sony VPL-VW60 @ 110"
Denon AVR-X7200AW < Denon AVR-4308CI
Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150THX 7.1

Last edited by BigShotCafe; 03-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 372 Old 03-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Then why would those screens exist to tell me that if they were not supported until activated or are you saying they are not active due to the 60p. If its the latter can I change the xbox or the ps4 to force 24p test that theory?
The XB1S is reading your 365's EDID and it's telling it that it can't do 60p 10 bit or higher, so the GUI is presented in 60p 8 bit and then it reports that it can't do HDR at those parameters. It doesn't really matter anyway when you're in the GUI because there won't be any HDR or WCG on there anyway. There isn't a way that I know or heard of to put the XB1S into 24p mode when in it's main GUI, but someone else may know better in that specific thread. I can't speak for the PS4 as I don't own one.

Quote:
So, spec wise: vw365ES only supports 4k24p 4:2:2 10bit HDR or 4k60p 4:2:2 8bit noHDR. Is there any scenario where it accepts 4:4:4? (just curious on that one)

If I am following correctly so far, am I also correct in learning HDR10 is HDR in 10 bit, and thus the 365 is not compliant / doesnt support above 24p? If thats the case how the heck is Sony claiming they "support HDR"? (More like HDR "light") ;]

If I followed all that right, any murmerings of a firmarware update expanding on that or is a HW limitation / ceiling?
It should be able to support up to 4K24p 4:4:4 10 bit HDR/WCG because I recall getting that from my Philips and then my Panasonic UB900 UHD bluray players onto my 365. You may even be able to push that to 30p, but definitely not 60p. I guess calling it "HDR Lite" could be appropriate, unfortunately. This is why I suggested a Linker.

It is a hardware limitation with the 350/365/665ES 4Ks that came before the 675ES, which has a whole new main board which includes the HDMI inputs that we know can at least accept a 11.14 (~13.4 w/ HDR and WCG?) Gbps signal (4K60p 4:2:0 10 bit HDR/WCG).

Here's a nice bandwidth calculator from Extron (click the Advanced Tab):
http://www.extron.com/product/videotools.aspx

...and here's a pretty nice summary, although slightly dated:
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Hmmmm, that makes me think. Why didn't they approve an interim 2160i (interlaced) format to allow these older 10.2 Gbps chips to essentially accept a 4K60i (30p) 4:2:0 10-12 bit HDR WCG signal? With a decent de-interlacer, which is pretty commonplace now (but maybe a lot harder for 4K?), they could've probably had a really nice end resultant image on screen! I would've accepted this limitation when I had my Epson 5040UBe with a 10.2 chip, that's for sure!
post #65 of 372 Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,
Quick observation with this projector (and I'll admit up front, I don't have it all figured out yet). I can't seem to find a 4K HDR movie yet, that has blown me away and I've tried probably about 15. I can't say the same for "You Tube", as I've seen my projector throw some amazing images from that app in 4K. Not sure what's up. I'm using the Samsung K8500 4K player for both applications. Anyone have any clue regarding this anomaly? The projector has 29 HRS on it and is a couple weeks old at this point.

Thanks all,

Rob
post #66 of 372 Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post
Hi All,
Quick observation with this projector (and I'll admit up front, I don't have it all figured out yet). I can't seem to find a 4K HDR movie yet, that has blown me away and I've tried probably about 15. I can't say the same for "You Tube", as I've seen my projector throw some amazing images from that app in 4K. Not sure what's up. I'm using the Samsung K8500 4K player for both applications. Anyone have any clue regarding this anomaly? The projector has 29 HRS on it and is a couple weeks old at this point.

Thanks all,

Rob
Rob,

I have the Sony 665ES which is similar to your 365ES projector as well as the Samsung K8500 UHD player. I apologize if what I am about to suggest is something you have already tried, but with a UHD disc playing in the K8500 go into the Picture>Tools menu and adjust the brightness and contrast for optimal image quality. There really is no reason that UHD discs should not display an even higher quality image than YouTube 4K. A couple of additional suggestions. Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on your 365ES by checking the Sony support site for your projector. Sony released three updates last year and the last of these made a significant impact on the quality of HDR images from UHD discs. One of the items added by the last firmware update was a Contrast(HDR) slider in the projector menu. Adjusting this to about 90-95% seems to give me the optimum image, but you should experiment with this slider and adjust to your taste. Of these suggestions, adjusting the brightness and contrast in the Samsung Picture>Tools menu makes the biggest difference in onscreen image quality with my 665ES projector.

Tom
post #67 of 372 Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post
Rob,

I have the Sony 665ES which is similar to your 365ES projector as well as the Samsung K8500 UHD player. I apologize if what I am about to suggest is something you have already tried, but with a UHD disc playing in the K8500 go into the Picture>Tools menu and adjust the brightness and contrast for optimal image quality. There really is no reason that UHD discs should not display an even higher quality image than YouTube 4K. A couple of additional suggestions. Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on your 365ES by checking the Sony support site for your projector. Sony released three updates last year and the last of these made a significant impact on the quality of HDR images from UHD discs. One of the items added by the last firmware update was a Contrast(HDR) slider in the projector menu. Adjusting this to about 90-95% seems to give me the optimum image, but you should experiment with this slider and adjust to your taste. Of these suggestions, adjusting the brightness and contrast in the Samsung Picture>Tools menu makes the biggest difference in onscreen image quality with my 665ES projector.

Tom
Thanks Tom, for taking the time to respond. I have the latest FW with the HDR slider contrast and will experiment with it and adjust it higher. I'll also check those picture adjustments.

Thanks again!

Rob
post #68 of 372 Old 03-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Hello,
I wanted to get back and let everyone know, the tips Tom supplied helped a lot. The picture with 4K discs is much improved! I have one new 4K movie I haven't watched yet that I will give a spin tonight. Angels & Demons with Tom Hanks. I think there is a lot of darks and shadows in it but hopefully, there are some scenes where the 365 will shine.

Thanks again for chiming in to assist another forum guy Tom!

Best Regards,
Rob
post #69 of 372 Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Hello,
I wanted to get back and let everyone know, the tips Tom supplied helped a lot. The picture with 4K discs is much improved! I have one new 4K movie I haven't watched yet that I will give a spin tonight. Angels & Demons with Tom Hanks. I think there is a lot of darks and shadows in it but hopefully, there are some scenes where the 365 will shine.

Thanks again for chiming in to assist another forum guy Tom!

Best Regards,
Rob
I appreciate your posting to let me know that you have been able to improve the image quality from UHD discs played back by your Samsung K8500 on your Sony 365ES. It took me a while to discover the Samsung K8500 Tools Menu because it only shows up when you are playing a UHD disc. I tend to pause the playback on a good image for adjusting bright areas and then find and pause an image where dark details are important and adjust again for those areas. Another thing I have found is that there is considerable variation between UHD movies when it comes to making luminance adjustments in the Samsung Tools menu. Some UHDs, like The Revenant or Arrival have a lot of dark scenes that require large adjustments adjustments and other UHD's require little or no changes in the Samsung Tools Menu. The bottom line, however is that combining the luminance changes made in the Tools Menu with adjustments to the Contrast(HDR) slider should always give you a quite nice HDR onscreen image from UHD discs.

Tom
post #70 of 372 Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have the latest FW with the HDR slider contrast and...Rob
Still battling mine. Cannot get anything with HDR. What do you mean by "HDR slider contrast"? All mine has is HDR Auto/On/Off. Is that what you are referring to and what did you set it to?

Dedicated 5370 sqft Theater for Movies, Music and Gaming. Just upgrading to 4k.
Sony VPL-VW365ES < Sony VPL-VW60 @ 110"
Denon AVR-X7200AW < Denon AVR-4308CI
Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150THX 7.1
post #71 of 372 Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Still battling mine. Cannot get anything with HDR. What do you mean by "HDR slider contrast"? All mine has is HDR Auto/On/Off. Is that what you are referring to and what did you set it to?

When the VW365ES/665/675ES models receive the HDR metadata via HDMI it automatically kicks it into HDR/WCG mode, which in turn changes the name of your normal Contrast Control adjustment to "Contrast (HDR)". The "slider" they're talking about shows the adjustable settings value, the same as normal contrast when HDR isn't detected.

If yours isn't doing that, then most likely you aren't receiving HDR and its metadata for some reason. Check your source and cables, etc.
post #72 of 372 Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
It's also possible his might still be on an old FW which did not have the slider and auto detection.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #73 of 372 Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 PM

VW365ES owners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
It's also possible his might still be on an old FW which did not have the slider and auto detection.

I don't think that's the case. He said this in post # 60:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotCafe
I dont think its the XBox One S specific either, because my PS4 Pro also wont pickup HDR. (and yes both connected directly to 2.2 port to test.) (and all 3 have latest firmware and updates.)
post #74 of 372 Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. He said this in post # 60:
OK. I would just ask him to post the FW anyway
Dave Harper likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #75 of 372 Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks all,

Rob
Billy Lynn's long halftime walk is best so far, the movie is just no good look great,

Had some hand shake issues with it because it was so pure,thought everything was going to blow up. But to perfect picture when I got it, it will blow you away.
post #76 of 372 Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try Planet Earth 2, best reference discs so far.

post #77 of 372 Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New Sony VPL-VW365ES problem

First off, the picture does not look that great. I put in several 4K discs and they all have a purple tint and appear washed out. Regular Blu-rays look dark and have a reddish tint. Then I proceeded to try to play a game on the PS4Pro and it states "This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2.

I have updated to the latest firmware on my projector, Denon AVR-X4300H, Oppo UDP-203 and PS4 Pro. I am using supposed Premium Certified cables.

This is frustrating! Need some advice about what might be my issues. Where do I start?
post #78 of 372 Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
First off, the picture does not look that great. I put in several 4K discs and they all have a purple tint and appear washed out. Regular Blu-rays look dark and have a reddish tint. Then I proceeded to try to play a game on the PS4Pro and it states "This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2.

I have updated to the latest firmware on my projector, Denon AVR-X4300H, Oppo UDP-203 and PS4 Pro. I am using supposed Premium Certified cables.

This is frustrating! Need some advice about what might be my issues. Where do I start?
First you need to use HDMI #2 port for HDCP 2.2, only that port supports it so there is that.

As for the red tint on bluray make sure its not playing in Rec2020 colour space.

As for the purple with 4K discs, sounds possibly like the greyscale needs a calibration and for the washout you need to engage HDR mode or it will look VERY wrong.
BartR likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #79 of 372 Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
First you need to use HDMI #2 port for HDCP 2.2, only that port supports it so there is that.

As for the red tint on bluray make sure its not playing in Rec2020 colour space.

As for the purple with 4K discs, sounds possibly like the greyscale needs a calibration and for the washout you need to engage HDR mode or it will look VERY wrong.
Thanks for the advice. You hit the nail on the head regarding the HDMI 2 port - that fixed the HDCP 2.2 issue. I will try to tweak the other settings tomorrow.
post #80 of 372 Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sony VW365ES and HDR

I've recently setup my new Sony VW365ES, and am unable to get HDR to work (at any resolution or refresh rate).

I'm primarily trying to watch UHD disks using an Xbox One S. My xbox says my projector is capable of displaying HDR and 4k/24hz, and the projector is auto-activating HDR. I can tell in the main menu when it says 3840 × 2160 / 24 HDR.

However, everything looks like a rainbow crapped all over it. Clearly HDR isn't getting passed correctly. If I manually turn off HDR, the picture looks really washed out. Only by forcing the Xbox to not pass HDR does it get cleared up.

I've eliminated all of the obvious issues (receiver/cable/etc). My final test tonight was using a 6' certified cable directly into the projector, got the same results (Xbox thinks it's sending HDR, projector triggers HDR, get a rainbow-poo picture).

Any tips/suggestions? It seems to work fine on games at 4k/60p non-HDR. But even when dropping things to 1080p I can't seem to get an HDR signal correctly. Do I need a different UHD player? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere (I do know to use HDMI 2, and am aware of the HDMI bandwidth limitation). Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I'm certain the projector is getting something HDR related, because I'm get the HDR contrast slider mentioned earlier in this thread. Still can't see anything but rainbows though. Has there been anybody that is able to get HDR on the 365 using an Xbox One S? I'm wondering if I just need to go out and by a Sony UBP-X800.

Edit 2: I also tried passing the signal through an HDFury Linker. No dice, still rainbows.

Last edited by CollectedDust; 04-19-2017 at 08:51 PM.
post #81 of 372 Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectedDust View Post
I've recently setup my new Sony VW365ES, and am unable to get HDR to work (at any resolution or refresh rate).

I'm primarily trying to watch UHD disks using an Xbox One S. My xbox says my projector is capable of displaying HDR and 4k/24hz, and the projector is auto-activating HDR. I can tell in the main menu when it says 3840 × 2160 / 24 HDR.

However, everything looks like a rainbow crapped all over it. Clearly HDR isn't getting passed correctly. If I manually turn off HDR, the picture looks really washed out. Only by forcing the Xbox to not pass HDR does it get cleared up.

I've eliminated all of the obvious issues (receiver/cable/etc). My final test tonight was using a 6' certified cable directly into the projector, got the same results (Xbox thinks it's sending HDR, projector triggers HDR, get a rainbow-poo picture).

Any tips/suggestions? It seems to work fine on games at 4k/60p non-HDR. But even when dropping things to 1080p I can't seem to get an HDR signal correctly. Do I need a different UHD player? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere (I do know to use HDMI 2, and am aware of the HDMI bandwidth limitation). Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I'm certain the projector is getting something HDR related, because I'm get the HDR contrast slider mentioned earlier in this thread. Still can't see anything but rainbows though. Has there been anybody that is able to get HDR on the 365 using an Xbox One S? I'm wondering if I just need to go out and by a Sony UBP-X800.

Edit 2: I also tried passing the signal through an HDFury Linker. No dice, still rainbows.
Can you share pictures of the "Rainbow Poo" please?

Did you make sure it's in BT2020 Color Space mode, or AUTO so it automatically switches to that when it gets HDR?
post #82 of 372 Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Can you share pictures of the "Rainbow Poo" please?

Did you make sure it's in BT2020 Color Space mode, or AUTO so it automatically switches to that when it gets HDR?
I checked and it is in BT2020 Color Space mode. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow, nothing exciting, just major color issues. I read the 665 thread and it sounds like others had a similar issue. I may try picking up an alternative UHD player.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by CollectedDust; 04-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.
post #83 of 372 Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 AM

Sony 365ES HDR Issues

Update: My current theory is that the 365es isn't capable of displaying HDR at 1080p. I've eliminated everything from my chain, and connected both an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro directly to the projector. Both devices indicated that the projector is capable of HDR at 2k/60hz. When playing a game at 1080p with HDR, the Xbox and PS4 think all is well. On the projector, it indicates a 1080p/60p HDR signal.

However, the picture is totally washed out and the colors are really muted. Even stranger: while the projector can tell it's getting an HDR signal, the HDR picture settings DO NOT appear in 1080p (both the on/off/auto option and the HDR contrast option don't show up). When sending a 4k/24p HDR signal, these menus DO show up.

My current thinking is that Sony didn't setup this projector to appropriately be able to turn on HDR for non-4k signals... which is strange. If anyone is able to prove/disprove my theory, that would be great. If there is anything I'm missing and should try, let me know.

I'll be picking up a Sony X800 later today, here's to hoping I can get it to work at 4k/24hz HDR.

Last edited by CollectedDust; 04-20-2017 at 05:36 AM.
post #84 of 372 Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Update 2: Picked up a Sony X800 today, and still have the EXACT problem. Projector thinks it's getting an HDR signal, yet it just looks like a rainbow and all of the colors are messed up. Is my projector broken? What's the best way to get support... I'm out of ideas.
post #85 of 372 Old 04-20-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7634 Post(s)
Liked: 9454
Quote:
Update: My current theory is that the 365es isn't capable of displaying HDR at 1080p. I've eliminated everything from my chain, and connected both an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro directly to the projector. Both devices indicated that the projector is capable of HDR at 2k/60hz. When playing a game at 1080p with HDR, the Xbox and PS4 think all is well. On the projector, it indicates a 1080p/60p HDR signal.

However, the picture is totally washed out and the colors are really muted. Even stranger: while the projector can tell it's getting an HDR signal, the HDR picture settings DO NOT appear in 1080p (both the on/off/auto option and the HDR contrast option don't show up). When sending a 4k/24p HDR signal, these menus DO show up.

My current thinking is that Sony didn't setup this projector to appropriately be able to turn on HDR for non-4k signals... which is strange. If anyone is able to prove/disprove my theory, that would be great. If there is anything I'm missing and should try, let me know.

I'll be picking up a Sony X800 later today, here's to hoping I can get it to work at 4k/24hz HDR.
Do any 1080p sources have HDR ? None that I have - only my 4K UHD Blu-rays have HDR. All of my 1080p sources are BT 709. Not being a gamer, I wouldn't know about 1080p games with HDR.
post #86 of 372 Old 04-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Do any 1080p sources have HDR ? None that I have - only my 4K UHD Blu-rays have HDR. All of my 1080p sources are BT 709. Not being a gamer, I wouldn't know about 1080p games with HDR.
Games can be 1080p HDR.

However, I can't even get 4k/24p to work in HDR... and I've tried EVERYTHING.
  • Two Different UHD Players
  • Updated all Firmware
  • Used HDMI 2
  • Direct Connection to the Projector using 2 different 6' certificated cables
  • Wasted MANY hours

I'm out of ideas, and at this point, I think I may have received a broken projector.
post #87 of 372 Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Games can be 1080p HDR.

However, I can't even get 4k/24p to work in HDR... and I've tried EVERYTHING.
  • Two Different UHD Players
  • Updated all Firmware
  • Used HDMI 2
  • Direct Connection to the Projector using 2 different 6' certificated cables

• Wasted MANY hours

I'm out of ideas, and at this point, I think I may have received a broken projector.

I agree, so sorry. Contact Sony ES support and they'll most likely have you send it in to United Radio in NY for evaluation and repair/replacement. If it's super new I would contact your dealer and ask for replacement right away. I'm not sure of Sony ES' policy on repair/replace and when each is decided.

Quote:

Just for troubleshooting and knowledge purposes mainly, because it does sound like your projector has an issue, please try something similar to the settings linked below my signature on your Sony 365. I'm curious if maybe your HDR capability is hosed and I want to see if it will work and look decent while in SDR mode only, with my settings for HDR on SDR for projectors.
post #88 of 372 Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I agree, so sorry. Contact Sony ES support and they'll most likely have you send it in to United Radio in NY for evaluation and repair/replacement. If it's super new I would contact your dealer and ask for replacement right away. I'm not sure of Sony ES' policy on repair/replace and when each is decided.

Just for troubleshooting and knowledge purposes mainly, because it does sound like your projector has an issue, please try something similar to the settings linked below my signature on your Sony 365. I'm curious if maybe your HDR capability is hosed and I want to see if it will work and look decent while in SDR mode only, with my settings for HDR on SDR for projectors.
Thanks, Dave. I contacted Sony ES support, and they also agreed that there is something wrong with the projector. I'll be returning it, and haven't decided if I want to try again (this was a frustrating ordeal to say the least). As for your HDR on SDR settings, I wasn't able to get that working. However, I didn't spend that much time on it as I needed to package the thing back up.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #89 of 372 Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. I contacted Sony ES support, and they also agreed that there is something wrong with the projector. I'll be returning it, and haven't decided if I want to try again (this was a frustrating ordeal to say the least). As for your HDR on SDR settings, I wasn't able to get that working. However, I didn't spend that much time on it as I needed to package the thing back up.

How did you contact Sony ES Support? Also, how did they handle the situation? Just curious if they were open or tough to deal with.

I think I am having the same problems with 4K and HDR turned on. Very washed out picture. The blue movie screen that shows the MPAA rating is purple. I have turned off HDR on my PS4 and Oppo to get decent colors. I also get a MUCH better 4K picture with YouTube than I do on 4K Blu-ray Discs. Not the experience I was hoping for with a machine this expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #90 of 372 Old 05-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
How did you contact Sony ES Support? Also, how did they handle the situation? Just curious if they were open or tough to deal with.

I think I am having the same problems with 4K and HDR turned on. Very washed out picture. The blue movie screen that shows the MPAA rating is purple. I have turned off HDR on my PS4 and Oppo to get decent colors. I also get a MUCH better 4K picture with YouTube than I do on 4K Blu-ray Discs. Not the experience I was hoping for with a machine this expensive.
The dealer I purchased through connected me with Sony ES support after I noticed the issue. After they couldn't solve the problem over the phone, I sent the projector to my dealer who brought it to Sony for further testing. They were able to replicate the issues, yet it sounded like it might not be a common thing. Long story short, it didn't sound like it was an easy repair.

My dealer offered me a replacement, yet I elected for a refund as it just wasn't a great experience. As a side note, I got the impression that Sony ES support won't be so helpful without a dealer working with you.

My current plan is to see what Sony announces in September. If nothing special I'll probably try the 675es next.

Best of luck to you!
BartR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
hdcp 2.2 , ps4pro , sony vpl-vw365es , VW365ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page