Sony VPL-HW65ES lamp flickering warning - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11814 Post(s)
Liked: 9350
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Do you know if the Epson laser projectors (9600e, LS10000, LS10500) have low fan noise comparable to Sony? Or were you just looking at their UB series?

Is the Sony on high power still quieter than the Epsons in your experience?
The Sony projectors are quieter than the Epson projectors. Does not matter if we are talking UB or LS models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Do you know if the Epson laser projectors (9600e, LS10000, LS10500) have low fan noise comparable to Sony? Or were you just looking at their UB series?

Is the Sony on high power still quieter than the Epsons in your experience?
Sony is much quieter,yes.

Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5,Emotiva XPA-2,Densen B-340+,B&W 683,B&W HTM61,B&W DS3,2XSVS PB-2000,4XMonitor Audio BX1 (Atmos),Sony VPL-HW65ES,Stewart 123" CIMA Neve Motorized, Dune HD Pro 4K, Mede8er x600 3D,Panasonic BD60,PS4
post #33 of 45 Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just came back from Sony Pictures Studio Tour in Culver City. Guess what ? When they showed us a video presentation before taking the studio tour, the image was flickering !! I couldn't see the projector make/model, buy I'd say it was a Sony...
I own a VPL-HW40ES and sometimes (rarely) I get the flickering image. I turn the lamp setting to high and back to low and it disappears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey,

Jut want to recover an old thread, wondering what was the outcome for people still using HW65 and had issue.

My lamp started flickering at about 500H, I'm at 775H now and tried to use high lamp as much as possible to workaround the issue, but it is still there.

I tried Sony EU Prime Support, they suggested the same (high lamp) but then quoted lamp is only 1 year warranty so they wouldn't replace it, and advise to buy a new lamp, which is €300 here. Has anyone manage to get Sony replace it under warranty? And what happens after replacement, what is new lamp start flickering after 20,40, or 60 hours?

Thanks.

LG OLED 55C6, F9000 + SEK-3500XC (EU), Sony VPL-HW65ES, 7.1, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1
post #35 of 45 Old 08-10-2018, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoftus View Post
Hey,

Jut want to recover an old thread, wondering what was the outcome for people still using HW65 and had issue.

My lamp started flickering at about 500H, I'm at 775H now and tried to use high lamp as much as possible to workaround the issue, but it is still there.

I tried Sony EU Prime Support, they suggested the same (high lamp) but then quoted lamp is only 1 year warranty so they wouldn't replace it, and advise to buy a new lamp, which is €300 here. Has anyone manage to get Sony replace it under warranty? And what happens after replacement, what is new lamp start flickering after 20,40, or 60 hours?

Thanks.
This issue can also affect 4K lamp based units and as has been said, the flickering is supposed to be avoidable if run on high for the first 100 hours of a bulbs life, but it does NOT state this in the manual.
Sony were indifferent (at best) when I spoke to them of the issue as well.

Under developed/weak ballast and power supply circuitry if you ask me.
denisoftus likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #36 of 45 Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
This issue can also affect 4K lamp based units and as has been said, the flickering is supposed to be avoidable if run on high for the first 100 hours of a bulbs life, but it does NOT state this in the manual.
Sony were indifferent (at best) when I spoke to them of the issue as well.

Under developed/weak ballast and power supply circuitry if you ask me.
I have heard of running in High Mode workaround, but I didn't know it must be done during the first 100 hours. I had about 500H in low lamp. Now I can, sometimes, switch to High Lamp for 10-15 hours, but louder noise will always bring me back to Low. Before I go crazy and change Lamp only after 700H, can I hope the flickering will be gone if I run in in High for some time?

LG OLED 55C6, F9000 + SEK-3500XC (EU), Sony VPL-HW65ES, 7.1, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1
post #37 of 45 Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoftus View Post
I have heard of running in High Mode workaround, but I didn't know it must be done during the first 100 hours. I had about 500H in low lamp. Now I can, sometimes, switch to High Lamp for 10-15 hours, but louder noise will always bring me back to Low. Before I go crazy and change Lamp only after 700H, can I hope the flickering will be gone if I run in in High for some time?
All you can do is give it a go. As this 'fix' isn't documented, it is going to be open to interpretation.

Another thing you could do is buy the new bulb and run it in HIGH for 100 or so hours and then use your current bulb as a spare.
denisoftus likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #38 of 45 Old 08-17-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
This sounds like the JVC RS40 and RS45 story all over again. The first problem with them, discovered early on, was a bad bulb design. They eventually came up with V3 that had a flapper to direct the cooling air flow properly. But then the ballasts started acting up so many owners had to replace that. This occurred after the warranty had expired of course. JVC was about as responsive to these problems as Sony seems to have been.
Archibald1 likes this.

Jack
post #39 of 45 Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My Sony unit (HW55) acted up again. Burning in a lamp on 100 hrs didn't work with the unit initially, and it didn't work after they supposedly replaced the ballast (with another crappy designed ballast is my guess). Earlier this year, flickering started again, and I went through FOUR units (at least they started just swapping units rather than being out with repairs).

Four units to get a good one. And this is how it went:

1st unit: Covered in dust, caked everywhere. The dust filter was completely dried up and thin as paper. Started flickering and having fan noise
2nd unit: This unit had a terrible fan noise that lasted 10 minutes when it first started before quieting down. After using for a week, more flickering.
3rd unit: This unit was different - it was made in Japan instead of made in china! It had excellent convergence, better focus uniformity, the image was solid with no flickering. I loved it. Except it had a purple splotch in bright scenes about 10 x 15 pixels in size. It was too annoying so I called them again.
4th unit: Didn't send the japan unit back right away. With this 4th unit had flickering issues happen after 8 days. But the image was clean (no purple blob) - even though focus uniformity was the worst on this I'd seen - it didn't matter so much watching video material. It was from China again. I pined for the solid performance of the japan unit without the purple blob. So I took them both apart and took all the power circuitry and ballast out of the japanese one and put it in the chinese one. Put the chinese power and ballast into the Japanese unit. Worked like a charm. It's 4 months later and no flicker issues yet. My warranty runs out in November. The China / Japan hybrid I tried before sending it back and it still worked too so I didn't feel like I was sending them a broken box of parts either.

So now I have a hybrid of the 3rd and 4th unit. Took 2 months to get it right this last time. Ugh.

I just want to get a laser unit and be done. Hoping this unit will last long enough that an affordable one with e-shift or actual 4K can be had for under $6K with a laser light engine for my next one.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #40 of 45 Old 08-24-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Sony unit (HW55) acted up again. Burning in a lamp on 100 hrs didn't work with the unit initially, and it didn't work after they supposedly replaced the ballast (with another crappy designed ballast is my guess). Earlier this year, flickering started again, and I went through FOUR units (at least they started just swapping units rather than being out with repairs).

Four units to get a good one. And this is how it went:

1st unit: Covered in dust, caked everywhere. The dust filter was completely dried up and thin as paper. Started flickering and having fan noise
2nd unit: This unit had a terrible fan noise that lasted 10 minutes when it first started before quieting down. After using for a week, more flickering.
3rd unit: This unit was different - it was made in Japan instead of made in china! It had excellent convergence, better focus uniformity, the image was solid with no flickering. I loved it. Except it had a purple splotch in bright scenes about 10 x 15 pixels in size. It was too annoying so I called them again.
4th unit: Didn't send the japan unit back right away. With this 4th unit had flickering issues happen after 8 days. But the image was clean (no purple blob) - even though focus uniformity was the worst on this I'd seen - it didn't matter so much watching video material. It was from China again. I pined for the solid performance of the japan unit without the purple blob. So I took them both apart and took all the power circuitry and ballast out of the japanese one and put it in the chinese one. Put the chinese power and ballast into the Japanese unit. Worked like a charm. It's 4 months later and no flicker issues yet. My warranty runs out in November. The China / Japan hybrid I tried before sending it back and it still worked too so I didn't feel like I was sending them a broken box of parts either.

So now I have a hybrid of the 3rd and 4th unit. Took 2 months to get it right this last time. Ugh.

I just want to get a laser unit and be done. Hoping this unit will last long enough that an affordable one with e-shift or actual 4K can be had for under $6K with a laser light engine for my next one.
Just Wow!
I have been postulating about the quality of the units (2K and 4K) made in China and it would seem (just from your small amount of evidence) that they are put together with parts that hit spec, but are undoubtedly not of the same quality as they parts they use when they assemble the units in Japan.
Moreover they do not appear to be assembled with the same care and attention to detail as their Japanese cousins.

I would love to get a hand on a Japanese 760 unit and compare. My 550 was made in Japan and it had zero convergence or uniformity issues, but it really is a crap shoot with regards to those issues with any units that come from China.

I guess they decided that they are so much cheaper to make in China that all the returns they get are offset by the cheaper cost to make. Sad!

Stephen Hawking.
post #41 of 45 Old 09-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We have the 40ES and I got a Sony Bulb from the Projector People back last year April 2017. The original bulb last over 3000 hours on low. The new bulb has 2850 hours and I say two months ago I started seeing some faint flickering I thought originally was in the PS4. It would come & go lasting like 5-7 minutes. It's got much more noticeable in the last couple of weeks but it's not there all the time. It's been on High about 70-80% of the time so I'd assume a new bulb is in order? I do have the original still...just in case something happened and might pop that in and see. I never saw flickering with it but figured hitting the 3000 hour mark it was time.
post #42 of 45 Old 12-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For everyone having a projector flicker, I think I have just found a solution.

I have had this issue after I bought a second hand Sony HW40ES.

I have tried everything like adjusting cables, disconnecting some gadgets from my setup and reconnecting them one by one to find the issue.

I have a desktop PC, AV receiver, satellite receiver, TV, HDMI repeater and many other electronics such as projector screen, aquarium lighting, heater etc.

After connecting only PC and projector, the flicker wasn't present. After connecting AV receiver, TV and HDMI switch and plugging back all HDMI cables, it was still good. Finally when I connected my satellite receiver, the flicker was back after watching 5 minutes of a random TV show.

The problem for me was in the settings of the satellite box. I have changed the video settings from PAL 1080i to NTSC 1080p and the flicker is gone for good!

Hope it helps to someone.
post #43 of 45 Old 12-30-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeset View Post
For everyone having a projector flicker, I think I have just found a solution.

I have had this issue after I bought a second hand Sony HW40ES.

I have tried everything like adjusting cables, disconnecting some gadgets from my setup and reconnecting them one by one to find the issue.

I have a desktop PC, AV receiver, satellite receiver, TV, HDMI repeater and many other electronics such as projector screen, aquarium lighting, heater etc.

After connecting only PC and projector, the flicker wasn't present. After connecting AV receiver, TV and HDMI switch and plugging back all HDMI cables, it was still good. Finally when I connected my satellite receiver, the flicker was back after watching 5 minutes of a random TV show.

The problem for me was in the settings of the satellite box. I have changed the video settings from PAL 1080i to NTSC 1080p and the flicker is gone for good!

Hope it helps to someone.
Where do you live? Isn't PAL a European standard and NTSC is US.

Jack
post #44 of 45 Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Where do you live? Isn't PAL a European standard and NTSC is US.

In Europe. Anyway, Ignore my solution, the flicker is back.

It actually got much worse and the low lamp mode is not usable at all for me, the flicker is so strong now that it's impossible to watch it in low lamp mode for more than few seconds.

There is no solution, I have tried everything imaginable to fix it. The only option available is to run it in high lamp mode or buy a different projector.

Last edited by arcadeset; 01-06-2019 at 06:17 AM.
post #45 of 45 Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this issue on and off for the last few months and I do run the lamp in low power mode on my VPL-HW40ES. Personally, I think this is a thermal issue with the lamp in the projector. Changing the setting from low power to high power mode enables the fan to run, cooling off the lamp. So, I believe we're trading noise for a lack of flickering. I have turned the projector off and on, which runs the fan to cool the lamp and that solves the problem for a long while and sometimes it reappears. Sometimes I'll turn on my ceiling fan and that will keep the unit cool enough to prolong the flickering.

I hate that I have to introduce fan noise into the room, when I intentionally purchased a quiet projector. Are there projectors that do not have this issue that also run this quiet (in low power mode)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page