Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3510Likes

post #3331 of 5637 Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm at the point where I'm making connections on my equipment in my theater. I've literally only made physical connection with "out of the box" settings on everything...including the HD Fury.
Samsung 8500 UHD -> Marantz 6011 -> HD Fury -> RS400

My concern right now is my long hdmi run from the rack to the RS400 (from the HD Fury -> RS400). It's definitely over 25 feet. Closer to 35 or 50 I'm sure. It was a good quality Monoprice cable I bought 3 years ago and ran in my ceiling for the projector. I don't have specs on it. Never considered it would be a problem.

In the short time I've had to play with the projector (kids, work etc. ) I popped Batman v Superman 4K in the player and I get a picture. A nice picture... but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full signal? With all the talk about big problems with long hdmi runs I'm doubting. If I'm getting an image does that mean I'm good to go? Or am just getting a good looking 1080p picture because of the long hdmi run. I was thinking that if I was going to have a problem I would get a warning or no picture at all. It's a UHD movie playing from a UHD player.
How can I tell?

Thank you! My head is spinning from reading these threads. Please explain in terms a father of 4 with nowhere near the knowledge level the average contributor in the thread has!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 5637 Old 11-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat1220 View Post
I'm at the point where I'm making connections on my equipment in my theater. I've literally only made physical connection with "out of the box" settings on everything...including the HD Fury.
Samsung 8500 UHD -> Marantz 6011 -> HD Fury -> RS400

My concern right now is my long hdmi run from the rack to the RS400 (from the HD Fury -> RS400). It's definitely over 25 feet. Closer to 35 or 50 I'm sure. It was a good quality Monoprice cable I bought 3 years ago and ran in my ceiling for the projector. I don't have specs on it. Never considered it would be a problem.

In the short time I've had to play with the projector (kids, work etc. ) I popped Batman v Superman 4K in the player and I get a picture. A nice picture... but I'm not sure if I'm getting the full signal? With all the talk about big problems with long hdmi runs I'm doubting. If I'm getting an image does that mean I'm good to go? Or am just getting a good looking 1080p picture because of the long hdmi run. I was thinking that if I was going to have a problem I would get a warning or no picture at all. It's a UHD movie playing from a UHD player.
How can I tell?

Thank you! My head is spinning from reading these threads. Please explain in terms a father of 4 with nowhere near the knowledge level the average contributor in the thread has!

Press the INFO button on the RS400 remote and it will tell you the signal that it is receiving. You can also go into the info settings on the Marantz and select video information to tell you what it is receiving. Best way to check is to connect the UHD to the projector directly, and set It to auto, and see if you get a picture showing at 4k. If the screen goes blank, then you may need a new cable.
post #3333 of 5637 Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Did you look at the product page for the RS400 on their website? The warranty period is listed there fairly easy to see and find:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102389

I should have tried on my computer. Not sure what it is about the JVC website, but I have all kinds of problems with viewing it on my phone. After you posted that I was on my work computer and was able to get there. I appreciate it.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
It doesn't strip out anything, but does change the edid info that is being sent for the handshake to one of the many custom edids available in the hdfury gui.

If you want to run the bideo through your processor you would put it before. Because both the samsung and panasonic (not sure about the others) have 2 hdmi outs with one being only audio many just run the hdmi video to hdfury and then to jvc, bypassing video in the processor and using the audio only hdmi to the processor for audio only.

Is there a default setting(s) that most people set in the HDFURY? Or is it a custom configuration? I am having trouble finding the right settings. I am using the Samsung UHD BD, coming out of a receiver that passes HDR HDCP2.2 etc, and into the fury (about 25 ft) then into the projector. What setting should I use for HDR BDs? and do I have to change it back to something else when watching standard BD/Sat etc?

Thanks
post #3335 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post
Is there a default setting(s) that most people set in the HDFURY? Or is it a custom configuration? I am having trouble finding the right settings. I am using the Samsung UHD BD, coming out of a receiver that passes HDR HDCP2.2 etc, and into the fury (about 25 ft) then into the projector. What setting should I use for HDR BDs? and do I have to change it back to something else when watching standard BD/Sat etc?

Thanks
Many use custom 8 and custom 10. I use 9 or 11 because I only get stereo with the other 2.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #3336 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Many use custom 8 and custom 10. I use 9 or 11 because I only get stereo with the other 2.

Ok great I will try that!

Thank you
post #3337 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on here about Projector Screen Size and the type of project I can push myself to get.

Firstly I had my eyes set on the Epson 6040UB due to the high lumens output which can get me a bigger screen size but after reading so many recommendation and claims JVC is superior than the Epson my question are the following:

My Projector can be mounted anywhere in the room even up close to the screen as much as possible.

Would it be pushing it if I went for a Centre Stage XD Screen at 16:9 140 Inch Diagonal? With a JVC 550R or a JVC 750R?

I downloaded the Projectorcentral Ipad Software which calculates the FL Light output what would be the largest size I can go for.

The First Row of seat is placed 14.7 feet from the screen.

The Second Row of Seats is placed 19 feet from the screen.

I would like to get a 140 inch or 150 inch screen if possible. Which projector out of the JVC can adequately power up the Screen with Enough brightness.

At the moment Projector Central Calculation at 140inch screen

JVC X750R Mounted at 4.3 Meters (14.10 feet) from screen it calculates at 31FL Would this be OK

JVC X550 would be 29FL

Would it be ideal for me to jump on to the JVC or look at the Epson?
post #3338 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Is there an option on the integral just to do a pass through? 11 works great for me, I would just like an easy a/b comparison. If I select the fixed option, it goes down to 1080p for some reason.

Also, When I change to my 4K Fibe PVR, the screen goes blank, and the HDMI 1 input logo turns yellow, and nothing comes on the screen. When I remove the Integral from the system, it works fine, and the 4K PVR reads an input at YCBR 4:4:4 8 bit.

Last edited by Cripsy666; 11-16-2016 at 06:28 PM.
post #3339 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, im new to this forum, and hopefully you guys can help me with an issue im facing with the rs400. when streaming 1080p content, I pretty much get excellent quality except when it comes to low light or night scenes. the black isnt uniform and its in patches of different shades of black, making it look really low quality. when it goes back to bright scenes, its clear again. how do I resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!
post #3340 of 5637 Old 11-16-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there an option on the integral just to do a pass through? 11 works great for me, I would just like an easy a/b comparison. If I select the fixed option, it goes down to 1080p for some reason.

Also, When I change to my 4K Fibe PVR, the screen goes blank, and the HDMI 1 input logo turns yellow, and nothing comes on the screen. When I remove the Integral from the system, it works fine, and the 4K PVR reads an input at YCBR 4:4:4 8 bit.
Not sure if there is something like that. I am working out of town at the moment and can't check. The integral isnt doing any conversion or processing so I just set the integral to the output i want and let the player do the associated output. If any remapping/conversion is necessary it is being done by the player.

HTPCat
post #3341 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Not sure if there is something like that. I am working out of town at the moment and can't check. The integral isnt doing any conversion or processing so I just set the integral to the output i want and let the player do the associated output. If any remapping/conversion is necessary it is being done by the player.

Ahh ok, so more than likely you will have to change the output on the integral fir each source. I had it placed after my pre-processor....perhaps I should just add it between the Samsung UHDBD and the processor and just leave it, since no other source seems to have HDR yet.
post #3342 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahh ok, so more than likely you will have to change the output on the integral fir each source. I had it placed after my pre-processor....perhaps I should just add it between the Samsung UHDBD and the processor and just leave it, since no other source seems to have HDR yet.
You could do it that way, but if you have fury set to to send edid without or with hdr it wont affect non hdr sources. I have my satellite box going through the fury which is not cable of 4k or hdr and i don't change my setting on fury.

HTPCat
post #3343 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am interested to see what price I can get on this projector. However, my nearest dealer is 2 hrs away. They have them on sale over at Amazon, but I'm not sure if those are gray market items, as I would like a full manufacturers warranty. Could someone could point me in the right direction? Thanks.
post #3344 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6311
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
I am interested to see what price I can get on this projector. However, my nearest dealer is 2 hrs away. They have them on sale over at Amazon, but I'm not sure if those are gray market items, as I would like a full manufacturers warranty. Could someone could point me in the right direction? Thanks.
You can buy from dealers nationwide. Phone orders are allowed on JVC product's but no internet sales per JVC......
post #3345 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This is probably a really old question, but its been some time since I've needed to dig in here as I've been happily enjoying my RS400 with the basic 1080p input and material! :-)

Is there an update iOS app to control the JVCs? There was one that used to work (it certainly did on my 4910) but the RS400 I have certainly didn't work with it. I deleted the app from my devices some time ago. Just checking back to see if anything has changed.
post #3346 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Press the INFO button on the RS400 remote and it will tell you the signal that it is receiving. You can also go into the info settings on the Marantz and select video information to tell you what it is receiving. Best way to check is to connect the UHD to the projector directly, and set It to auto, and see if you get a picture showing at 4k. If the screen goes blank, then you may need a new cable.
Thanks for the reply Crispy666!

So I've finally had a bit of time to myself to play with the system. I went through the the HD Fury app and finally got a "4k" image to appear. The only one under EDID Custom that would work consistently was number 13 (4k60-420 8-BIT 300mHZ 2ch). The audio portion of all this is not applicable because the Fury is after my AVR in the chain. When watching The Martian or Batman v Superman 4KUHD my RS400 is showing the input at HDMI-1 as being 4K(3840)24, 8bit, YUV. Should I be ok with this? I haven't done any calibration yet but the picture (in my untrained eyes) is beautiful. But I'm the kind of guy (as I'm sure most on this forum are) that if I "CAN" get better, I will stay awake at night stressing about it...

My chain looks like this: Samsung 8500 UHD (3' cable)-> Marantz 6011 (3'cable)-> HD Fury (35' cable)-> RS400

My HDMI cable is a very THICK gauge 35 foot monoprice cable from about 3 or 4 years back. I'd hate to have to run another one in the ceiling but I will if you guys are telling me that I'm really not getting the full potential from my projector.
post #3347 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Crispy666!

So I've finally had a bit of time to myself to play with the system. I went through the the HD Fury app and finally got a "4k" image to appear. The only one under EDID Custom that would work consistently was number 13 (4k60-420 8-BIT 300mHZ 2ch). The audio portion of all this is not applicable because the Fury is after my AVR in the chain. When watching The Martian or Batman v Superman 4KUHD my RS400 is showing the input at HDMI-1 as being 4K(3840)24, 8bit, YUV. Should I be ok with this? I haven't done any calibration yet but the picture (in my untrained eyes) is beautiful. But I'm the kind of guy (as I'm sure most on this forum are) that if I "CAN" get better, I will stay awake at night stressing about it...

My chain looks like this: Samsung 8500 UHD (3' cable)-> Marantz 6011 (3'cable)-> HD Fury (35' cable)-> RS400

My HDMI cable is a very THICK gauge 35 foot monoprice cable from about 3 or 4 years back. I'd hate to have to run another one in the ceiling but I will if you guys are telling me that I'm really not getting the full potential from my projector.
Your cable needs to be replaced, you should be getting 10 bit and HDR and be able to get picture on hdfury setting 8.

HTPCat
post #3348 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Ceiling or Shelf Mount

Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade the projector to either the RS400 or whatever "upgraded" option gets announced soon. I have my projector hush box slightly above the top of the screen. Sorry for the newb question, but will the lens shift on this projector allow me to shelf mount above the screen or will I have to ceiling mount it?

Coming from a groupon'd Mitsubishi HC7900, I have a feeling this will be quite an upgrade. Hopefully my wife will appreciate the difference! (:

Joe
post #3349 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRock HT View Post
Ceiling or Shelf Mount

I have my projector hush box slightly above the top of the screen. ...will the lens shift on this projector allow me to shelf mount above the screen or will I have to ceiling mount it?
If the hush box is slightly above the screen, you should be fine. To be completely sure, post your screen size and aspect ratio, and we can tell you what the maximum height your shelf can be located at.

EDIT: Nevermind. I took a quick look in your build thread, and see you have a 12' wide scope screen. Running the calcs indicates the base of your shelf could be as much as 40" above the top of your screen(!), before you ran out of v-shift offset range on the JVC. So no worries there at all.

If you're curious, I'd be happy to explain how that was derived, but some folks just want to know the answer.

Last edited by VideoGrabber; 11-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.
post #3350 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Your cable needs to be replaced, you should be getting 10 bit and HDR and be able to get picture on hdfury setting 8.
I figured as much. So I brought my Samsung to the projector. Connected it to the Fury. Fury to the RS400. Connected the 35' cable to the audio only hdmi port on the Samsung back to the Marantz.

I'm now able to use EDID custom 9. The Samsung home/menu screen is showing 4K 60 but once the movie is started it goes to 24. Is this normal?

Maybe this should go in the HD Fury thread but I think many of you are well versed in its use.

What would be the best EDID custom setting to use? And should anything else be checked?
Under "automix", should I check anything there? Or anywhere else?
post #3351 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
If the hush box is slightly above the screen, you should be fine. To be completely sure, post your screen size and aspect ratio, and we can tell you what the maximum height your shelf can be located at.

EDIT: Nevermind. I took a quick look in your build thread, and see you have a 12' wide scope screen. Running the calcs indicates the base of your shelf could be as much as 40" above the top of your screen(!), before you ran out of v-shift offset range on the JVC. So no worries there at all.

If you're curious, I'd be happy to explain how that was derived, but some folks just want to know the answer.

Awesome! Thanks for the help! Yeah I had to get home and measure. It's about 7 inches above so that would give me plenty of room! It looks like I won't be at the extreames either which I was worried about. Hopefully we hear on the new release of these models soon cuz I'm getting antsy to pull the trigger!
post #3352 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured as much. So I brought my Samsung to the projector. Connected it to the Fury. Fury to the RS400. Connected the 35' cable to the audio only hdmi port on the Samsung back to the Marantz.

I'm now able to use EDID custom 9. The Samsung home/menu screen is showing 4K 60 but once the movie is started it goes to 24. Is this normal?

Maybe this should go in the HD Fury thread but I think many of you are well versed in its use.

What would be the best EDID custom setting to use? And should anything else be checked?
Under "automix", should I check anything there? Or anywhere else?
Yes all 4k uhd movies will be 24fps. Samsung menu works at 60fps. You dont need to do anything with automix. 9 is good if you want hdr, 11 will get you
SDR bt2020 instead of hdr thats it. Once the disc begins playing check info screen to see if it days HDR: Yes.

HTPCat
post #3353 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Ceiling or Shelf Mount

Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade the projector to either the RS400 or whatever "upgraded" option gets announced soon. I have my projector hush box slightly above the top of the screen. Sorry for the newb question, but will the lens shift on this projector allow me to shelf mount above the screen or will I have to ceiling mount it?

Coming from a groupon'd Mitsubishi HC7900, I have a feeling this will be quite an upgrade. Hopefully my wife will appreciate the difference! (:

Joe
You will love it! I upgraded from the HC8000D and have been truly blown away.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #3354 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
You will love it! I upgraded from the HC8000D and have been truly blown away.

Awesome! You just helped me sell the wife on our new investment my friend! How does the 3D compare with our old projectors?
post #3355 of 5637 Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Awesome! You just helped me sell the wife on our new investment my friend! How does the 3D compare with our old projectors?
Much more enjoyable as the brightness is significantly better on the JVC. Makes a world of difference.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #3356 of 5637 Old 11-18-2016, 03:00 PM

Welp, just impulse bought this thing! Can't wait to fire it up. Thanks for the help everyone!
Macroblocker and HTPCat like this.
post #3357 of 5637 Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Splitters/ HDR/Deep color

HDR splitters; my dilemma.

I don't have any audio equipment that can accept an HDMI input. In lieu of buying a receiver with HDMI inputs/output that is HDCP 2.2compliant, I went the splitter route. I found a couple that are HDMI HDCP 2.2 compliant with analogue output which I must have for my audio equipment

Of the two I found that both support HDCP 2.2 only one of the says that it supports "deep color". Is this a requirement for HDR (deep color) or will any HDCp 2.2 HDMI input/output support deep color?

Please advise. I want to make sure I have the right splitter in lieu of buying a new receiver

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15747 2.2 compliant, no mention of "deep color" but has analogue output

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15749 2.2 compliant, mentions "deep color" with analogue output; almost three times the price but the only one I can find on their website that supports 2.2 and analogue output.

Please advise; thank you

Love this projector but want to have the HDR feature working properly

Last edited by bontrager; 11-19-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add info
post #3358 of 5637 Old 11-19-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hey guys.....can I delete color profiles from the projector? I imported rec.709 filter and no filter and imported the DCI-P3 profiles while at it but understand that the X550R can't use the DCI profiles so I'd like to delete them if possible?? Also, what is the difference between the 709 filter and no filter??
Bahn Yuki likes this.

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
post #3359 of 5637 Old 11-19-2016, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Subbed
post #3360 of 5637 Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkarbani View Post
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on here about Projector Screen Size and the type of project I can push myself to get.

Firstly I had my eyes set on the Epson 6040UB due to the high lumens output which can get me a bigger screen size but after reading so many recommendation and claims JVC is superior than the Epson my question are the following:

My Projector can be mounted anywhere in the room even up close to the screen as much as possible.

Would it be pushing it if I went for a Centre Stage XD Screen at 16:9 140 Inch Diagonal? With a JVC 550R or a JVC 750R?

I downloaded the Projectorcentral Ipad Software which calculates the FL Light output what would be the largest size I can go for.

The First Row of seat is placed 14.7 feet from the screen.

The Second Row of Seats is placed 19 feet from the screen.

I would like to get a 140 inch or 150 inch screen if possible. Which projector out of the JVC can adequately power up the Screen with Enough brightness.

At the moment Projector Central Calculation at 140inch screen

JVC X750R Mounted at 4.3 Meters (14.10 feet) from screen it calculates at 31FL Would this be OK

JVC X550 would be 29FL

Would it be ideal for me to jump on to the JVC or look at the Epson?
Zkarbani,

You don't mention how much ambient light will be in your theater room. 31 FL is way bright for a completely light controlled, dark room. In that case, 20 FL should be sufficient. But if your setup is in a living room with a picture window and lots of light, your mileage will vary...a lot.

Basic rule for any projection setup: Light = Bad. Dark = Good. People try to combat washed out screens with more lumens from the projector, and with special, dark colored "ambient light rejection" screens, but these are really just expensive band-aids. The real solution is to control the ambient light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page