Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3502Likes

post #3361 of 5610 Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobear View Post
Zkarbani,

You don't mention how much ambient light will be in your theater room. 31 FL is way bright for a completely light controlled, dark room. In that case, 20 FL should be sufficient. But if your setup is in a living room with a picture window and lots of light, your mileage will vary...a lot.

Basic rule for any projection setup: Light = Bad. Dark = Good. People try to combat washed out screens with more lumens from the projector, and with special, dark colored "ambient light rejection" screens, but these are really just expensive band-aids. The real solution is to control the ambient light.
The room will be totally dark with the sides having dark acoustical material along with dark wooden floorboards.

The room dimension -

- From screen to the first seating row= 16 feet
- From screen to the second seating row = 23 feet

According the the THX guidelines - the above seems to fit perfectly for both 140" & 150".

I am currently in the dilemma regarding which projector would fit best.
Currently looking at the JVC 550r or 750r or shall i push my budget higher and get myself the JVC 950r (refurbished).

My screen will be a center stage XD which is supposed to be at 1.2 gain.

Last edited by Zkarbani; 11-20-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 5610 Old 11-20-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Is everyone happy with the JVC's mid tones?
I ask because I'm currently in the market for projector and looked at both Epson 6040 and JVC X550. JVC has better blacks and resolution is amazing for a faux 4k, you can't see pixels when standing next to the screen, while with Epson you definitely can! I had a chance to compare both models at the dealer with both companies representatives present. However, no matter what setting I used on JVC, I couldn't get the midtones to match Epson. What I mean by that, is that colors looked crashed on JVC. For example, a face with shadow on one side and light on another. JVC had this quality of a fax machine where detail in the shadow area was lost. Picture looked "digital". JVC rep used D gamma preset, and while overall picture looked well saturated, it was not pleasant. I changed to the B preset, and a lot of detail came back, though picture started looking more washed out, and it still wasn't the analogue look I was looking for. I then changed from Natural preset to Cinema, but Epson continued to look more film-like with greater color range. JVC to me was like a speaker with a twitter that captures your attention in the showroom by its resolution, but once you bring it home you realize it's too bright and unnatural. JVC rep was totally happy with the picture, so it looks like a matter of taste. Back to the drawing board for me though...
post #3363 of 5610 Old 11-20-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
LCOS produces the better image over LCD. I think 95%+ of us that have owned both believe that.

AS far as color, the color should look the same once you calibrate it properly, both projectors can be calibrated to near perfection.
More than likely the reason for the difference in look was simply the setup.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Most are using hdfury integral to send edid to player tricking it to play uhd 4k HDR as SDR/bt2020 so getting the WCG but keeping the DI, low lamp and great blacks. The panny does a superb job of mapping the sdr bt2020 and the samsung did a poor job of this. Most complained of blown out reds that gave the sunburn effect to faces and such.

If just wanting to play 4k/hdr then I am not sure there is a huge difference. Most of us dont like losing the DI and having to run high lamp for HDR, hence the move to the panny.
why doesn't JVC just toss out a firmware upgrade that allows you to maintain control of the DI and lamp mode when receiving HDR? dumb idea maybe? I'm guessing picture maybe too dark ?
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #3365 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
why doesn't JVC just toss out a firmware upgrade that allows you to maintain control of the DI and lamp mode when receiving HDR? dumb idea maybe? I'm guessing picture maybe too dark ?
Your guess is probably close, as well as it gives them something to sell in their next release.
Macroblocker likes this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #3366 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good morning
I'm following the forums now so I can upgrade my AE4000u. No issues but did invest in a 4k 110" 2.35 screen earlier in the year. I don't mind the up conversion of current Blu rays with the new JVC. I was looking at the Epson but wanted to see the JVC first. I don't play games and use the projector strictly for movies.

The question is the different models JVC has. The x500R had this comment on this website
" the DLA-X500R does not contain HEVC decoding or built-in Web applications in order to accommodate 4K streaming from Netflix or similar services. This is because the HDMI inputs are 1.4 and not 2.0, and there is no USB port for a 4K server.No THX or ISF modes" Also chroma subsampling is not 4:4:4 so not sure how much of a difference it would make viewing content or future proofing down the road.

Not sure how important the THX and ISF modes are as I have a 7.1 surround but would need to update my receiver to current one(denon), which is fine with me.

Tv is chewing gum for your eyes
Epson 5040UB Projector, Epson 3d glasses, Onkyo NR787 (old-Denon X2300w), Panasonic UB820 4k player(old-Samsung K8500)

Last edited by crosswire; 11-21-2016 at 09:08 AM.
post #3367 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
Good morning
I'm following the forums now so I can upgrade my AE4000u. No issues but did invest in a 4k 110" 2.35 screen earlier in the year. I don't mind the up conversion of current Blu rays with the new JVC. I was looking at the Epson but wanted to see the JVC first. I don't play games and use the projector strictly for movies.

The question is the different models JVC has. The x500R had this comment on this website
" the DLA-X500R does not contain HEVC decoding or built-in Web applications in order to accommodate 4K streaming from Netflix or similar services. This is because the HDMI inputs are 1.4 and not 2.0, and there is no USB port for a 4K server.No THX or ISF modes" Also chroma subsampling is not 4:4:4 so not sure how much of a difference it would make viewing content or future proofing down the road.

Not sure how important the THX and ISF modes are as I have a 7.1 surround but would need to update my receiver to current one(denon), which is fine with me.
The x500 is not a current model, the rs400 or x550 is what you should be looking at.

HTPCat
post #3368 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 09:07 AM

OK will do Thanks

Tv is chewing gum for your eyes
Epson 5040UB Projector, Epson 3d glasses, Onkyo NR787 (old-Denon X2300w), Panasonic UB820 4k player(old-Samsung K8500)
post #3369 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anybody with a JVC RS400/550 watch Amazon Goliath in 4K HDR? When I stream this from my Samsung 8500 through my Denon AVR7200 to the JVC the colors look terrible. This is even with the BT2020 downloaded and installed with JVC recommended settings. The JVC shows it getting HDR but it just looks vary dark and the colors look out of wack. Wonder if I am missing something.
post #3370 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Most are using hdfury integral to send edid to player tricking it to play uhd 4k HDR as SDR/bt2020 so getting the WCG but keeping the DI, low lamp and great blacks. The panny does a superb job of mapping the sdr bt2020 and the samsung did a poor job of this. Most complained of blown out reds that gave the sunburn effect to faces and such.

If just wanting to play 4k/hdr then I am not sure there is a huge difference. Most of us dont like losing the DI and having to run high lamp for HDR, hence the move to the panny.
Initially I thought I understood but this is a bit confusing for me. I thought the Integral is placed downstream of the player, that is, between the player and the PJ. How can it then"tell" the player anything? is it a 2-way communication?
post #3371 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdking View Post
Has anybody with a JVC RS400/550 watch Amazon Goliath in 4K HDR? When I stream this from my Samsung 8500 through my Denon AVR7200 to the JVC the colors look terrible. This is even with the BT2020 downloaded and installed with JVC recommended settings. The JVC shows it getting HDR but it just looks vary dark and the colors look out of wack. Wonder if I am missing something.
I have to turn contrast up to 15 for Amazon HDR streaming.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Bahn Yuki likes this.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #3372 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Initially I thought I understood but this is a bit confusing for me. I thought the Integral is placed downstream of the player, that is, between the player and the PJ. How can it then"tell" the player anything? is it a 2-way communication?
HDMI handshake is a communication between both the input device and output device to determine what one device can accept and what the other can send and to verify that everything is hdcp compliant so the answer is yes.

HTPCat
post #3373 of 5610 Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Is anyone else finding the 4K settings to be all over the place? For example like how -30 color saturation is supposed to be standard, however the occasional movie looks way more washed out than it should before bringing color up to 0. Ghostbusters II for example. Other material prompts me to play with the picture tone.

Is there yet an in depth guide to 4K calibration for the x550?
Bahn Yuki and Nexgen76 like this.
post #3374 of 5610 Old 11-22-2016, 03:42 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
Much more enjoyable as the brightness is significantly better on the JVC. Makes a world of difference.

Hey Cory,

I just ordered the Xpand 3D glasses with the rf emitter. Will the estar rf glasses that worked well on the mitz be compatible with the xpand emitter?

Projector arrives on Monday along with the Samsung uhd blu ray player, Star Trek uhd blu ray, hdmi cable, and various misc awesomeness. I'm super pumped!!!

Joe
post #3375 of 5610 Old 11-22-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Is anyone else finding the 4K settings to be all over the place? For example like how -30 color saturation is supposed to be standard, however the occasional movie looks way more washed out than it should before bringing color up to 0. Ghostbusters II for example. Other material prompts me to play with the picture tone.

Is there yet an in depth guide to 4K calibration for the x550?
I would love to see this also....Most of the setting I seen was for RS500 & 600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #3376 of 5610 Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRock HT View Post
Hey Cory,

I just ordered the Xpand 3D glasses with the rf emitter. Will the estar rf glasses that worked well on the mitz be compatible with the xpand emitter?

Projector arrives on Monday along with the Samsung uhd blu ray player, Star Trek uhd blu ray, hdmi cable, and various misc awesomeness. I'm super pumped!!!

Joe
I'm excited for you. I actually decided to slowly acquire JVC glasses from eBay at a discount because I heard the JVC glasses have better brightness than the other generics

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #3377 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
I would love to see this also....Most of the setting I seen was for RS500 & 600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
well guys i'm a little late to the 4K game so cut me some slack with the following post :-)
the Samsung sale made me bite so tonight i popped in the 4K HDR of Pacific Rim , selected the BT2020 color profile and then the projector defaulted to gamma D/high lamp. I was surprised to notice you can indeed knock the lamp to low if you want or keep it on high and clamp down the manual Iris, however auto iris will not function. from what i gathered on here i didn't think that was possible but i may have missed it.

anyway gamma D looked unwatchable as is so i selected gamma 2.4 and BANG the picture looked amazing although very bright , accurate ? probably not but i moved forward to the Samsung settings and noticed the deep color was set to off and not auto, so i put it on auto and it jumped to 12 bit color. how am i doing so far ? not so good maybe ? with no HDR test patterns I'm just using my eye and i haven't tried JVCs settings with gamma D yet but it looked too washed out and dark. I will have to search on here for more accurate settings but overall i was still impressed.
post #3378 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
well guys i'm a little late to the 4K game so cut me some slack with the following post :-)
the Samsung sale made me bite so tonight i popped in the 4K HDR of Pacific Rim , selected the BT2020 color profile and then the projector defaulted to gamma D/high lamp. I was surprised to notice you can indeed knock the lamp to low if you want or keep it on high and clamp down the manual Iris, however auto iris will not function. from what i gathered on here i didn't think that was possible but i may have missed it.

anyway gamma D looked unwatchable as is so i selected gamma 2.4 and BANG the picture looked amazing although very bright , accurate ? probably not but i moved forward to the Samsung settings and noticed the deep color was set to off and not auto, so i put it on auto and it jumped to 12 bit color. how am i doing so far ? not so good maybe ? with no HDR test patterns I'm just using my eye and i haven't tried JVCs settings with gamma D yet but it looked too washed out and dark. I will have to search on here for more accurate settings but overall i was still impressed.

Thanks for the input. I have also adjusted just the gamma like you did, and I was happy with the results. All that matters is that the person/people watching it are happy with the picture.
Macroblocker likes this.
post #3379 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but did you also set the Gamma D sub-menu settings: +12, +5, +4, for the picture tone, dark level, bright level, as recommended by JVC for HDR? And then tweak contrast/brightness as needed?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #3380 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
I'm excited for you. I actually decided to slowly acquire JVC glasses from eBay at a discount because I heard the JVC glasses have better brightness than the other generics

good idea, the xpand ones are without doubt the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn
Macroblocker likes this.

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #3381 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but did you also set the Gamma D sub-menu settings: +12, +5, +4, for the picture tone, dark level, bright level, as recommended by JVC for HDR? And then tweak contrast/brightness as needed?
It sure feels like HDR is not ready for prime time yet or maybe it's just the JVC that's not ready.
post #3382 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
It sure feels like HDR is not ready for prime time yet or maybe it's just the JVC that's not ready.
Yeah, it's not quite 'plug 'n play' just yet. But it's not too bad. JVC does offer suggested settings that will do a pretty good job.

The problem with HDR and Projectors is that it's a very different context than a TV: brightness levels are lower, and there is substantial variation in projector power, screen size, type and distance, and many other factors. So getting a good HDR result with a projector, JVC or any other type, will require a bit of homework, trial and error.
Macroblocker likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #3383 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i did mentioned i had failed to do that but was going to try that next , I'm sure that would improve the PQ
post #3384 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Is an upgrade from JVC X35 to the X5000 worth it?
Besides support of UHD BD and higher brightness
post #3385 of 5610 Old 11-23-2016, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
well i spoke a little prematurely as i decided tonight to try the JVC settings ,BT2020, gamma D +12 tone and so on , color management off Samsung player set to auto deep color (12bit shown on JVC info) brightness +3 ,with Star Trek (2009) i was quite impressed with the picture! having much more depth and not washed out or overly bright, it seemed a bit on the warm side though. I have a 109" 2:35 screen 1.0 gain. Im still wondering if the black level is set correctly and color accuracy is in question. too bad they didn't stick a test pattern on these disks like the THX patterns on the old dvds
Bahn Yuki and DLCPhoto like this.
post #3386 of 5610 Old 11-24-2016, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
...good idea, the xpand ones are without doubt the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn
It's never a bad idea to specify which Xpands you found to be so uncomfortable. Since most would not consider that to be an accurate statement, across the board. Especially since the actual JVC-branded units you're impressed with are made BY Xpand for JVC.
post #3387 of 5610 Old 11-24-2016, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
good idea, the xpand ones are without doubt the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn
Unfortunately, the JVC and the xPand are sharing the exact same shape... so both are uncomfortable.

Rgds,
Cyriaque
post #3388 of 5610 Old 11-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
well i spoke a little prematurely as i decided tonight to try the JVC settings ,BT2020, gamma D +12 tone and so on , color management off Samsung player set to auto deep color (12bit shown on JVC info) brightness +3 ,with Star Trek (2009) i was quite impressed with the picture! having much more depth and not washed out or overly bright, it seemed a bit on the warm side though. I have a 109" 2:35 screen 1.0 gain. Im still wondering if the black level is set correctly and color accuracy is in question. too bad they didn't stick a test pattern on these disks like the THX patterns on the old dvds
I believe you are only suppose to use BT2020 with HDR material.
post #3389 of 5610 Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anyone have a PS4 Pro connected to one yet and checked lag?

I have a Samsung F9000 that was unplayable unless you put it in Game Mode.

Connecting the PS4 Pro with a native 4K signal I could not select game mode and it ran fantastic and looked even better.

I assume not having to up convert the signal left the processor doing less and lag significantly decreased.

I'm ready to get either the JVC or the Epson. I'd rather have the JVC but FPS gaming is important.
post #3390 of 5610 Old 11-24-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe you are only suppose to use BT2020 with HDR material.
yes of course , Star Trek is HDR , I am curious if i should have the Samsung deep color set on Auto or not, Auto puts out 12 bit while "off" gives you 10bit deep color. Cnet seems to like it on Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page