Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3547Likes

post #4831 of 5804 Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
The long sync times when switching sources is normal so don't sweat it, but it shouldn't lock up. Do you have the latest firmware installed? I know on the 420/520/620 series that the newer firmware (30.1) fixed the lockup issue which required users to reboot. I'm not sure what the latest firmware version is for the 00 series, but it might be worth a shot.

Yes, the JVC supports 4k HDR at 60 fps assuming that your HDMI cable and receiver are passing the full signal (X1400 does for sure).
Where does it state [email protected] HDR in the RS400 Manual, I missed it.
Thanks

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5804 Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks! That's all I needed to know. I haven't had it lock up; just take 10 seconds or more to sync. I can live with that. AV Science just delivered the projector and they told me they would put the newest firmware on it. I'll have to check tomorrow, but my guess is they did as they're pretty good with that stuff.

Your comments and knowing that there's a known Roku issue is good enough for me.
-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
The long sync times when switching sources is normal so don't sweat it, but it shouldn't lock up. Do you have the latest firmware installed? I know on the 420/520/620 series that the newer firmware (30.1) fixed the lockup issue which required users to reboot. I'm not sure what the latest firmware version is for the 00 series, but it might be worth a shot.

Yes, the JVC supports 4k HDR at 60 fps assuming that your HDMI cable and receiver are passing the full signal (X1400 does for sure).
post #4833 of 5804 Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
Thanks! That's all I needed to know. I haven't had it lock up; just take 10 seconds or more to sync. I can live with that. AV Science just delivered the projector and they told me they would put the newest firmware on it. I'll have to check tomorrow, but my guess is they did as they're pretty good with that stuff.

Your comments and knowing that there's a known Roku issue is good enough for me.
-Pete
Long Sync is my only REAL complaint, it is ridiculous, and I hate it.
The PJ itself produces a great pic, I'm astounded regularly.
Enjoy!

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 5804 Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Ok, I give up. Help! How do I make my settings stick!

Hi All,

Out of the box, my RS400's settings for 4K content were horrid. Everything is set to default to gamma "D", which completely crushes the blacks.

But, something very odd is going on that makes me think I don't know enough about changing settings on this projector.

I can't seem to make my settings "stick". For example, when playing a 4K movie, I select "user 2" on my remote control and then head into the menus. I adjust my gamma and other settings so the picture looks to my liking, then exit the menus.

But, the next time I hit "user 2", *bam*, everything I changed reverts back to the original settings. It's like I'm missing some kind of "save settings" button!

Also, do these settings apply per input signal? For example, "User 1" seems to have different settings for 1080p24 vs 4K60. If the settings are remembered per input signal types, again, how do I save these things?

Help!
-Pete
post #4835 of 5804 Old 12-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Hi All,

Out of the box, my RS400's settings for 4K content were horrid. Everything is set to default to gamma "D", which completely crushes the blacks.

But, something very odd is going on that makes me think I don't know enough about changing settings on this projector.

I can't seem to make my settings "stick". For example, when playing a 4K movie, I select "user 2" on my remote control and then head into the menus. I adjust my gamma and other settings so the picture looks to my liking, then exit the menus.

But, the next time I hit "user 2", *bam*, everything I changed reverts back to the original settings. It's like I'm missing some kind of "save settings" button!

Also, do these settings apply per input signal? For example, "User 1" seems to have different settings for 1080p24 vs 4K60. If the settings are remembered per input signal types, again, how do I save these things?

Help!
-Pete
It?s because the projector always sets back to Gamma D no matter what you have set in the user profile.

There really aren?t good settings with Gamma D. So you are basically set back to a dim and dark picture every time.

This is one of the major flaws with this model and you need to read the calibration thread to understand fully how to fix it.
post #4836 of 5804 Old 12-24-2017, 09:04 PM

Regarding the calibration thread... I only found one and it seems to be talking about running JVC calibration software with the use of a specialized meter. Is that the thread you're talking about? It's long, very long.

Am I correct in thinking that this software will overwrite the defaults? If so, does the software allow me to do this without the use of a meter? (I don't have one.)

Yes, I could and probably should post these questions to that thread. But I'm sure everyone else looking for a fix with the Gamma D will come here first as well.

-Pete
post #4837 of 5804 Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 1934
Quote:
Yes, I could and probably should post these questions to that thread. But I'm sure everyone else looking for a fix with the Gamma D will come here first as well.
Unfortunately Gamma D cannot be "fixed" as there are only a few parameters that can be changed. The solution is to use a custom gamma, ideally based on your own measurements (a fairly steep learning curve), or you can try one of the "universal gamma curves" posted by Manni01 or Javs. I have also posted my own curves here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55355352

You may want to try the Gamma3_20_100_1000 curve first. You only need to have a PC with the JVC software and an Ethernet network cable, no meter required.
VideoGrabber and muzz like this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 12-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #4838 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Unfortunately Gamma D cannot be "fixed" as there are only a few parameters that can be changed. The solution is to use a custom gamma, ideally based on your own measurements (a fairly steep learning curve), or you can try one of the "universal gamma curves" posted by Manni01 or Javs. I have also posted my own curves here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55355352

You may want to try the Gamma3_20_100_1000 curve first. You only need to have a PC with the JVC software and an Ethernet network cable, no meter required.
Thanks everyone Happy holidays!
-Pete
post #4839 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 507
If you're willing to pay for a professional calibration, I'd suggest seeing if Chadb (http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/tours.html) works your area. He did great things with my RS400 to include One HDR mode with three custom HDR curves and two SDR modes.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #4840 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone else had problems connecting OPPO 203 to JVC RS400 Projector ?

I am getting that black grey snowy screen but no Oppo menu, it is not seeing the player

I have it connected into HDMI 2 on the projector and I have used hdmi 2 to connect a different brand 4K Media player with no problems

I am thinking it is the fault of the Oppo since I have already connected this way using a different player. I am using a 4K 18GB HDMI cable
post #4841 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
Has anyone else had problems connecting OPPO 203 to JVC RS400 Projector ?

I am getting that black grey snowy screen but no Oppo menu, it is not seeing the player

I have it connected into HDMI 2 on the projector and I have used hdmi 2 to connect a different brand 4K Media player with no problems

I am thinking it is the fault of the Oppo since I have already connected this way using a different player. I am using a 4K 18GB HDMI cable
How long is your cable?

This kinda sounds like a cable issue. The Oppo is likely trying to push a higher bandwidth signal than the media player. To test if I'm correct, temporarily try a the shortest HDMI cable you have (still may not work if it isn't Certified Premium). Why 4K HDMI Cable Choice Matters.
muzz likes this.
post #4842 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

it is a 40 foot long gator 4K cable. No way for me to use a shorter cable to get it to the projector

that cable has full capability.

I also have a Sony 800 4K player that I should try to connect just to see what happens

this is B.S if it doesn't work; there is No way for me to use a short cable to get it to the projector
post #4843 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
it is a 40 foot long gator 4K cable. No way for me to use a shorter cable to get it to the projector

that cable has full capability.

I also have a Sony 800 4K player that I should try to connect just to see what happens

this is B.S if it doesn't work; there is No way for me to use a short cable to get it to the projector
You do not have to use a short cable, you just have to use a cable that actually works at the distance you need. Just because a cable says it will work, does not mean it actually does. To determine if it is the cable, connect the player directly to the projector, using a short premium certified HDMI cable. If it works like that and not with your long cable, then you know your long cable is the problem.
muzz likes this.
post #4844 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Mike, I got the answer. I just posted this in the Oppo thread:

connecting the Oppo 203 to the JVC RS 400

it is the 4:2:2 that causes no picture, Auto color space does not work, even Auto Safe does not work

put it on 4:2:0 works with UHD Auto, custom. I will have to leave it on 4:2:0 and it says experimental feature on screen when you highlight that but it is the only one that gives me picture

pretty stupid with all the settings that the main Auto did not work. only putting in custom, then 1080p and hooking it up thru 1080, then leaving those settings

connecting to 4K and putting it on 4:2:0 and works fine

The Main Auto in video output is supposed to work but does not; poor design flaw
post #4845 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:

it is the 4:2:2 that causes no picture, Auto color space does not work, even Auto Safe does not work

put it on 4:2:0 works with UHD Auto, custom. I will have to leave it on 4:2:0 and it says experimental feature on screen when you highlight that but it is the only one that gives me picture

pretty stupid with all the settings that the main Auto did not work. only putting in custom, then 1080p and hooking it up thru 1080, then leaving those settings

The Main Auto in video output is supposed to work but does not; poor design flaw
You have a $500 HDCP 2.2 4K Blu-ray player connected to a $4000 HDCP 2.2 4K projector and are angry at those companies that your $35 40-foot HDMI 2.0 cable isn't working?

I'm sure it is your cable. You are making the Oppo send LESS information to get the cable you have to work. The reason "Auto" didn't work is both devices are expecting a compatible cable, which you do not have. There is a reason I gave you this link: Why 4K HDMI Cable Choice Matters.

Your cable is NOT capable of handling a full UHD picture. What you have with your 4:2:0 workaround is technically 4K (which is why Gator gets away with saying 4K) so if your happy with that then great. If not, know its not Oppo nor the JVC, it is the HDMI cable that is failing you.

Buy THIS.

Remember, thoroughly test EVERY cable BEFORE you run it through a wall.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 12-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #4846 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
You have a $500 HDCP 2.2 4K Blu-ray player connected to a $4000 HDCP 2.2 4K projector and are angry at those companies that your $35 40-foot HDMI 2.0 cable isn't working?

I'm sure it is your cable. You are making the Oppo send LESS information to get the cable you have to work. The reason "Auto" didn't work is both devices are expecting a compatible cable, which you do not have. There is a reason I gave you this link: Why 4K HDMI Cable Choice Matters.

Your cable is NOT capable of handling a full UHD picture. What you have with your 4:2:0 workaround is technically 4K (which is why Gator gets away with saying 4K) so if your happy with that then great. If not, know its not Oppo nor the JVC, it is the HDMI cable that is failing you.

Buy THIS.

Pretty much the same thing I posted on the Oppo thread too

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post55379390

99% of 4K HDCP issues can be solved with the correct HDMI cable

...but what do we know

I've been up and running 4K for over a year with an OLED and a JVC without a problem.
muzz, brian6751 and SoulOfUniverse like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #4847 of 5804 Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pio-

I also had a 35' Monoprice garden hose for many years, and that wasn't cheap, worked like a charm for years, I also had a 25 or 30' hose from there..
The shorter one worked a little on my old Sammy K8500, but until I bought my new 25' cable, it was pretty useless at 4k, been fine for ~1.5 years since cabling was replaced.
Those cables were seriously thick beasts...no good for 4k.

I see it EVERY Day.

post #4848 of 5804 Old 12-27-2017, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

Buy THIS.

I can vouch for the above. I had the exact same issue as you detroit1, same distance and a "certified" cable that still did not pass through full 4k. I read the hdmi test posted here at Avsforum and went with the RUIPRO that Dreamliner is linking to. It works great.

JVC RS400/X5000, Marantz SR5011, Sony UHD X800
—————————-
"National unity in Europe is still defined in terms of blood and earth. In the USA it's the idea – expressed in the Constitution – that supports the development of the nation. In the matter of integration the difference is profound: everyone can agree on an idea, but no-one can change their ties of blood."
post #4849 of 5804 Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
+1! Dreamliner helped me as well, and I also got the RUIPRO, and have not had a problem since.
post #4850 of 5804 Old 12-27-2017, 07:28 PM
tr6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Considering upgrading my JVC RS-40 to JVC RS-400

Considering upgrading my 5 year old RS-40 to the RS-400. The 40 is still working fine... but how much much of an improvement will the 400 be. I've read HDR could be a problem with the 400.. I appreciate any input from you guys...Thanks
post #4851 of 5804 Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6 View Post
Considering upgrading my 5 year old RS-40 to the RS-400. The 40 is still working fine... but how much much of an improvement will the 400 be. I've read HDR could be a problem with the 400.. I appreciate any input from you guys...Thanks
Overall, the RS400 would be a very big improvement. For one, you're getting away from the potential lamp issue of the RS40 as the new lamps are far more stable and reliable, will get improved motion, far more brightness, 4K ability, and HDR is excellent with custom gamma curves via the Arve tool (see the appropriate thread for this) - don't use out of box Gamma D for HDR.
post #4852 of 5804 Old 12-28-2017, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
+1! Dreamliner helped me as well, and I also got the RUIPRO, and have not had a problem since.
I got the slimrun monoprice it was cheaper
And works perfect up to 100ft

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #4853 of 5804 Old 12-28-2017, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBoss View Post
I got the slimrun monoprice it was cheaper
And works perfect up to 100ft

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I to have the slimrun monoprice 50ft. and all works perfectly, also from an Oppo 203
post #4854 of 5804 Old 12-28-2017, 06:34 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

Quote:

Thats the cable bandwidth problem 100% I can name you the cables brand I buy in UK, which works fine at [email protected] YCbCr 4:4:4 no problem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FT66..._QoprAbR47A81T

I have tested 1.5m, 5m and 10m length no problem at all solid signal all the time, tested with OPPO UDP203, SONY VPL-VW760ES and Lumagen it works wxcellent with full 4k signal [email protected] 4:4:4

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)

Last edited by SoulOfUniverse; 12-28-2017 at 06:40 AM.
post #4855 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
FYI;
AV Science is selling their last few RS400’s at $1.5k, brand new units, full warranty . That’s a great deal.
I have no connection with them at all, just saw the sale a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #4856 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
FYI;
AV Science is selling their last few RS400’s at $1.5k, brand new units, full warranty . That’s a great deal.

That is a STEAL for this PJ!
Wow, if I knew anyone looking I would crack them over the head with that deal.

post #4857 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Yes, your problem is your cable is not capable of 18Gbps.
post #4858 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
FYI;

I bought one from Mike it's on the way it's my first dive into the projector field so any advice from projector owners particularly this model any tips or info would be greatly appreciated

thanks Rom
post #4859 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
FYI;

I had another member contact me about this deal. Mine was delivered yesterday and its amazing. I wasn't going to upgrade for a while but this was too good of a deal to pass up. Mike is also very helpful, of course. Still cannot believe the deal I got. Very happy camper!
muzz and mtbdudex like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #4860 of 5804 Old 12-29-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
I bought one from Mike it's on the way it's my first dive into the projector field so any advice from projector owners particularly this model any tips or info would be greatly appreciated

thanks Rom
Chadb can make the 400 look very sweet. Mine looked good with the Projectorreviews.com settings, but you can see the difference both on the screen and in the reports once Chad finishes his work.

P.S.-I forgot to add that I had AVS load three pre-made gamma curves before sending the 400 to me. Chad's curves were done custom for my projector in my surroundings. I've seen how important that can be.
DavidHir, brian6751, nucky and 1 others like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 12-29-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page