Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3547Likes

post #4891 of 5804 Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes nance View Post
You will need to do some sort of calibration to get the pj dialed in for your particular screen and system. Lots of choices there, you can get in as deep as you want, and there are also highly recommended professional ISF calibrators that can dial everything in perfectly. I just did it myself using the AVS Calibration disk from a while ago. Search the forums.

We are running basically the same size screen, and it's a great fit for this pj in my opinion. You will end up running a "Constant Image Height" or CIH setup, where for 16:9 material you will have black bars on the sides, and for 2.35:1 material and similar you will use your entire screen area. Set up multiple zooms in the memory, and it's easy to get back and forth with the remote. I have memories for 16:9, 2.35, Netflix 4K, and 2.4, but you can do whatever. There's only 4 memory slots. This is a motorized dead reckoning zoom, not a digital memory zoom, so it will drift over time and you might have to reset every few months. That's been my experience. Works great, though, and I love my setup. The only drag, besides the not great gamma setup for 4K, is the long sync times, but I've gotten used to it. Great PJ, nice choice!
Why the different memories for Netflix, 4k, etc. What's the difference in example Netflix

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 5804 Old 01-07-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 769
post #4893 of 5804 Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Hi guys,

I'm late to the party, I have recently bought a 4K HDR media player, I changed the RS400 color profile to BT2020 then play some 4K HDR contents from my 4K HDR media player, tried both media player connect through AVR as well as connect directly to RS400, if the media player HDR mode set to HDR, it shows HDR flag under information, but the image looks dim and dull, it must be set to SDR then only the images looks very vibrant and vivid, any ideas how to fix this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180108_213817_HDR.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	2342526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180108_213742_HDR.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	2342528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180108_213330.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	2342530  

Last edited by WereWolf84; 01-08-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4894 of 5804 Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm late to the party, I have recently bought a 4K HDR media player, I changed the RS400 color profile to BT2020 then play some 4K HDR contents from my 4K HDR media player, tried both media player connect through AVR as well as connect directly to RS400, if the media player HDR mode set to HDR, it shows HDR flag under information, but the image looks dim and dull, it must be set to SDR then only the images looks very vibrant and vivid, any ideas how to fix this issue?
Literally the post above yours is my link talking about custom curves for HDR (the fix to 90% of dark issues). Chances are you're on Gamma D which is the default on the RSx00 projectors and is dark and terrible. Check out my custom curve guide and go from there. It may not be your exact final solution since streamers can act a bit differently but it is necessary for proper HDR.
WereWolf84 likes this.
post #4895 of 5804 Old 01-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis9 View Post
Why the different memories for Netflix, 4k, etc. What's the difference in example Netflix

When watching a Netflix 4k stream (through my ROKU Premiere +) the content is usually in 16:9, but because it's 4k it doesn't fill my screen vertically. I have to zoom the image larger, so keep a memory slot for that.
brian6751 likes this.
post #4896 of 5804 Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Question how important is it to have my RS 400 calibrated and what I mean is will it benefit a projector more then a flat panel TV. This things got a lot of adjustments
And I have played with settings a little bit and I can tell you I'm very impressed with my first project of course there are projectors that are much better but you would need to dig deep into your wallet and that's something I can't do just yet.this is fine for me right now my next bit of money I save will go for a oppo 203 so I can take it vantage of watching UHD 4K movies I have a 103d.like i said I'm new to this type of technology any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated I am going to paint the ceiling darker because it is blazing white bright white so I'm going to change that today and once again thanks Mike for the smoking hot deal on this projector
post #4897 of 5804 Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
Question how important is it to have my RS 400 calibrated and what I mean is will it benefit a projector more then a flat panel TV. This things got a lot of adjustments
And I have played with settings a little bit and I can tell you I'm very impressed with my first project of course there are projectors that are much better but you would need to dig deep into your wallet and that's something I can't do just yet.this is fine for me right now my next bit of money I save will go for a oppo 203 so I can take it vantage of watching UHD 4K movies I have a 103d.like i said I'm new to this type of technology any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated I am going to paint the ceiling darker because it is blazing white bright white so I'm going to change that today and once again thanks Mike for the smoking hot deal on this projector
A good calibration will ensure whatever display you have will have the most accurate and 'correct' image possible. The RSx00 projectors (RS400/RS500/RS600) look amazing right out of the box for HD and 3D but they were released before any 4K content was available. They have a very broken and flawed HDR system which means that out of the box, most 4K HDR movies will look broken and nothing like the beautiful image you see now in HD. JVC has put out a recommended HDR settings guide that involves using Gamma D but even that is drastically flawed. With these default settings, you will never be happy with the way 4K HDR looks, this is not hyperbole.

Thankfully, members on this forum discovered how to make custom gamma curves which really turned things around for most people and made the RSx00 projectors actually usable for 4K HDR content. JVC also released a calibration software program that allow you to calibrate your baseline gamma and color with an inexpensive color calibrator called a Spyder 5. Interestingly, only a year after the RSx00 projectors were released, JVC released the RSx20 projectors which had a built in 'custom curve' by default and did away with Gamma D altogether, pretty much admitting their error.

There is a TON of information on this forum regarding these things. A lot of this information is scattered quite a bit and will take you weeks and weeks to decipher and will likely leave you very confused. I have done my best to condense all this info into a handful of posts that will get you very quickly pointed in the right direction. You can choose to hire a calibrator before during or after any of these steps but whoever you hire, you MUST ensure they will create a custom gamma curve for you and fully understand the RSx00 pitfalls otherwise their services are not worth a single penny. Chad B gets talked about a lot on here. I have not used him but many RSx00 owners are happy. I am serious, if you hire someone local and you see them poking around in Gamma D, send them packing. You must make certain they fully understand these RSx00 projectors and custom gamma before they come out as it will not be an 'average' calibration.

Okay, all that out of the way, here are the DIY steps you need to take to get 4K HDR rocking on your new RS400 projector (honestly, you can just do 1 & 3 to get started):

1) Replace ALL of your HDMI cables right now, thankfully, the short ones are cheap. Many cables, including ones that say '4K compatible,' simply cannot handle the bandwidth of actual 4K HDR content. If play around with HDMI cable choice, you will lose. I have very specific recommendations that will give you no problems. More info here.

2) To fully understand how badly JVC screwed up HDR, feel free to follow their Gamma D instructions. (you can skip this step if you'd like)

3) If you ever want to watch a 4K HDR movie and be happy about it, you WILL need to at the very least load a premade custom gamma curve. Click here for more info.

4) You can also make your very own custom curve, more info on that here and here.

5) If you eventually decide you want to try the Auto Calibration with the JVC software, click here for more info.

There you go, that will get you all set for 4K HDR, everything I've said so far has pretty much unanimous agreement on the forum for squeaking out the best image on your own without paying thousands on gear. Of course, a calibrator who fully understands the RSx00 projectors can also do all of this for you.

FULL DISCLAIMER, many on this forum vehemently disagree with my next statement about 4K HDR but I (and many others) have found it to be correct after over a year of work:
Spoiler!

Good luck!
post #4898 of 5804 Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well it's really not gonna make a difference until I get a Blu-ray player that's capable of playing ultra 4K Blu-ray's and HDR. Of course my 103D doesn't have the capability of doing that
And as far is HDMI cables go I'm certainly not going to replace my new 35 foot HDMI cable I just bought from blue Jean cables which is a Belden cable I do have one short cable that runs from my receiver to the Blu-ray player I can replace that. And I don't know how pioneer got away with saying that there late 2013 receiver was capable of playing ultra high definition Blu-ray's when it's blue ports are 1.4 the same as my 103D. But the main thing you're saying is I need a custom gamma curve to get the best result from HDR I'm sure or I hope I'm sure that a capable calibrator such as Chad B would probably know about this so there's two things that I need one I definitely am going to get which is an oppo 203 and have it calibrated by an experience and well-qualified calibrator. On a sidenote I painted my ceiling which was blinding white to a darker color a dark dark brown which is so dark it almost looks black what a difference that made because of white ceiling was so distracting it was like part of your eyes were watching the screen in the other part was watching the white ceiling which is probably a bad idea when you have a white 100+ inch screen that's close to the ceiling

Last edited by rcapprotti; 01-13-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #4899 of 5804 Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
Spoiler!
When you connect your 4K player and start getting random drop outs or the 4K player home screen doesn’t come up just remember my post. Even BJC admits they could only get HDMI premium certification up to 15 feet and it’s not even the Belden cable (Monoprice got certified to 25). You won’t find anything about 4K HDR 4:4:4 signal compatibility when reading their site about the Belden cable. With 4K HDR HDMI, price is not an indicator of compatibility or quality. Email BJC and ask if they guarantee a 35ft Belden cable will handle 4K HDR 60Hz 4:4:4 signal with no problems, let me know what they say. I certainly know what they said to one of their buyers who spend over $300 on long Belden cables that didn’t work with 4K. Now you do too. (Click)

I’m sure BJC makes a great cable but it would really stink to find out you wasted $117.50 when you buy that 203. BJC should start selling a Fiber Optic HDMI cable immediately. I suggested it and it unfortunately went nowhere. Until they do, I cannot recommend them at all.

Yes, a custom gamma curve is what you need. I’m serious about the calibrator though. If you decide to hire someone, you need to grill whoever you find or you’ll get ripped off. I’d go so far as to say if they are not on this forum they probably have no idea how to create a custom curve (as this forum is where they originated).

I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want you getting screwed. You own a great projector, heed my advice, it is solid.
post #4900 of 5804 Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
When you connect your 4K player and start getting random drop outs or the 4K player home screen doesn’t come up just remember my post. Even BJC admits they could only get HDMI premium certification up to 15 feet and it’s not even the Belden cable (Monoprice got certified to 25). You won’t find anything about 4K HDR 4:4:4 signal compatibility when reading their site about the Belden cable. With 4K HDR HDMI, price is not an indicator of compatibility or quality. Email BJC and ask if they guarantee a 35ft Belden cable will handle 4K HDR 60Hz 4:4:4 signal with no problems, let me know what they say. I certainly know what they said to one of their buyers who spend over $300 on long Belden cables that didn’t work with 4K. Now you do too. (Click)

I’m sure BJC makes a great cable but it would really stink to find out you wasted $117.50 when you buy that 203. BJC should start selling a Fiber Optic HDMI cable immediately. I suggested it and it unfortunately went nowhere. Until they do, I cannot recommend them at all.

Yes, a custom gamma curve is what you need. I’m serious about the calibrator though. If you decide to hire someone, you need to grill whoever you find or you’ll get ripped off. I’d go so far as to say if they are not on this forum they probably have no idea how to create a custom curve (as this forum is where they originated).

I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want you getting screwed. You own a great projector, heed my advice, it is solid.
No I don't doubt your word you probably know a hell a lot more about this then I do. in the End it would suck when I do get a 4K player that is capable of HDR and I had a problem with the cable that wouldn't be a good thing. And I have no problems when I do decide on the calibrator to ask them specific questions that's why I come to this site because there's an old saying the only stupid question is the one you don't ask and I appreciate any info or any suggestions that people on the AVS forums can give me thanks a lot I appreciate your time and your response Rcapprotti
post #4901 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 AM

The top left corner of my projector kind of rolls off and not so much Square. Is this normal or is there a way to correct this?

post #4902 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 1934
Quote:
The top left corner of my projector kind of rolls off and not so much Square. Is this normal or is there a way to correct this?
Is the bottom left also sagging like the top? The bottom is less noticeable than the top as the sagged part will fall on the black border. To make alignment easier, it’s best to initially zoom to a slightly smaller size so that you can see all 4 edges of the image relative to the screen.
Assuming ithe sag is only the top left, that means the projector is aimed towards the right, rather than the centre of the screen. Turn it slightly to the left, and recentre the image using the horizontal lens shift.
post #4903 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Is the bottom left also sagging like the top? The bottom is less noticeable than the top as the sagged part will fall on the black border. To make alignment easier, it’s best to initially zoom to a slightly smaller size so that you can see all 4 edges of the image relative to the screen.
Assuming ithe sag is only the top left, that means the projector is aimed towards the right, rather than the centre of the screen. Turn it slightly to the left, and recentre the image using the horizontal lens shift.
The projector is slightly offset because it sits underneath a bulkhead and I wanted the pj to be centered with the ceiling not the screen or it would of looked funny with the bulkhead.

post #4904 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM

I thought with the lens shift that this wouldn't be an issue that I could judge shift the screen to center it

post #4905 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 1934
Quote:
I thought with the lens shift that this wouldn't be an issue that I could judge shift the screen to center it.
That is correct. My suggestion was to point more to the left from the current position, not to move it.
post #4906 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That is correct. My suggestion was to point more to the left from the current position, not to move it.
Ok I'll try this! If I point more that way I'll need to shift more to the right

post #4907 of 5804 Old 01-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 166
So is this projector 10 or 12 bit ? I read a couple of places that say it's 10-bit, but my info screen says 12 bit.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #4908 of 5804 Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
So is this projector 10 or 12 bit ? I read a couple of places that say it's 10-bit, but my info screen says 12 bit.
It'll show 12 bit in the info menu if you're source is set to output 12 bits. My understanding is 4K HDR is 10 bit and the extra 2 bit setting doesn't do anything for the picture quality.

I had my Panasonic UB900 set at 10 bit when Chadb calibrated my RS400, and he didn't change it when he checked my player settings.

On the other hand, I suspect setting to 12 bit does no harm.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #4909 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Jvc x5000 and Sony X800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightivity View Post
I'm trying to make the Sony player output Original resolution or Auto in the Video settings, but it can't get a handshake so defaults back to 480. I'm using HDMI port 1 on the JVC. The Sony player is connected directly to the JVC.
I have the same issue. The JVc can only accept 1080p out put from Sony. I thought the problem is the cable. But I tried to connect the Sony X800 to my Samsung series 9 TV using the same cable. It worked perfectly. I bought the cable on EBay for about $20. It says support for 18gb transfer.
But, if the issue is the cable, why it works with Samsung TV but won’t work with jVC projector? Can someone help?
post #4910 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks Yeah, I can't use anything shorter, my projector in the back of the room in the ceiling and cable is running along the wall and floor. My room is quite small so there must be other installations and settings using this length?

I can't try a shorter cable less I demount the projector...possible of course
I have the same issue. My JVC x5000 projector can only accept 1080p signal from Sony X800 player. As soon as I output 4K from Sony, it goes blank. Before I bought the Sony, I used an Oppo 103 bluray player upscale the video to 4K. The JVC projector can display the 4K signal perfectly.
I can also display the 4K output from the Sony x800 to Samsung 4K tv.
Can someone suggest what is the likely cause the JVC Dla x5000 can accept 4K from Sony.
post #4911 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I have the same issue. My JVC x5000 projector can only accept 1080p signal from Sony X800 player. As soon as I output 4K from Sony, it goes blank. Before I bought the Sony, I used an Oppo 103 bluray player upscale the video to 4K. The JVC projector can display the 4K signal perfectly.
Can someone suggest what is the likely cause the JVC Dla x5000 can accept 4K from Sony.
It's the cable. You should also replace all your cables while you are at it so you don't run into this again. You quoted someone who was talking to me and they did what I said and were happy with the results. I suggest you do the same.

I even made a fancy pants DIY guide to getting the most out of your projector with the least effort possible (click). It is specifically tailored to new RS400 owners or ones that are going to 4K for the first time, people that follow it are happy.

If you follow the steps in my guide EXACTLY, you will have success.

The only other possible thing it could be is the HDMI handshake sync time. The JVC takes almost 20 seconds to actually display an image after receiving a 4K signal (and usually again for the player menu, and again once you press play on a 4K movie). If you're in the player menu choosing 4K the player could be timing out the 'can you see this message' test it does. I don't know if the X800 works this way but if you try to change resolutions on anything it will confirm you can see it to avoid sticking you with a resolution you can't see. This confirmation message is usually shorter than the JVC handshake so you have to guess at what buttons to press to confirm the message because the JVC is still trying to handshake.

You're right, it does not make sense that the cable would work with another TV but not the projector. It could be the JVC wants a stronger signal than the Samsung, who knows...I'm not claiming it has to make sense, just that I know how to make it work.
post #4912 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Could be that the Oppo sent 4k upscaled in less than 60hz and that the cable managed that. The Sony menu spits out 4k at 60Hz and that puts pressure on any cable. Not sure why the Samsung TV clears the signal though - did you use the same cable for the JVC and the Samsung? As Dreamliner says, it's most probably the cable.

I had the "Sony menu" issue on my initial "certified" 10 meter cable: The JVC would not render the X800 menu (60Hz) but would display the movie when running (24Hz). I read the extensive hdmi cable test posted here at Avsforum and settled on the RUIPRO fiber hdmi that was one of the two recommended ones for longer distances: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6HM1RL...rum-convert-20

JVC RS400/X5000, Marantz SR5011, Sony UHD X800
—————————-
"National unity in Europe is still defined in terms of blood and earth. In the USA it's the idea – expressed in the Constitution – that supports the development of the nation. In the matter of integration the difference is profound: everyone can agree on an idea, but no-one can change their ties of blood."
post #4913 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sync problems with Apple TV 4K

I apologize if this kind of issue is discussed elsewhere in the thread; I did some searching but it's now almost 5000 posts long and I haven't yet read the whole thing, which I will probably do at some point.

I've had an RS400 for about a month. It replaced a 10-year-old RS1 that I thought was fine, but the improvement even on HD content (not UHD) in brightness, color, and image detail with the RS400 is startling. So I have very little buyer's remorse. Except...

The projector is not playing well with the Apple TV 4K which is our main viewing source (mainly for Plex and streaming services). At least half the time a format change in the output signal from the ATV causes the projector to completely lose its mind (so to speak). It displays flashing vertical lines, or horizontal streaks, or a flashing version of the previous image. When this happens the only solution is to power the projector off and on again. Since it takes 1m45s for the projector to power off and another 45s for it to power on again, it takes on the order of three minutes (while we sit in the dark) to get back to what we were watching.

The ATV can be configured to match (or not) the dynamic range and/or the frame rate of the source. I get the best image results when it’s configured to match both DR and FR so that’s what I’d prefer to use. In an effort to get past this problem I’ve played with those settings. It turns out that if either setting is “on” (i.e. match the source) the sync insanity can occur. When I turn both settings off there is no signal change at all and also no sync delay, but then 4K HDR content like “The Crown” on Netflix is so muddy and dark that it’s unwatchable.

Based on discussions above it seems that the darkness problem might be addressed by installing a custom gamma curve, and I'll be trying that soon. But if both "match frame rate" and "match range" are set to "on" (my preferred setting) then—when the sync problem doesn't occur—the projector behaves perfectly with the ATV, which outputs HDR or not according to the source. The "D" gamma curve looks fine in this configuration.

Has anyone else seen this kind of anomaly? It's a huge usability headache.

I should mention that I did not replace the 25-foot HDMI cable run from the A/V receiver to the projector. I was prepared to, but during installation the existing cable seemed to work fine, and when the projector actually displays an image it still seems fine. But...might an inadequate cable account entirely for this issue?

The A/V receiver is a Sony STR-DN1080.

Thanks for any help with this.

Ron Gomes
post #4914 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Leave it to Apple, the WORST Company in my lifetime...
Gamma D is garbage, JVC may be the 2nd worst...see above posts regarding curves...

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #4915 of 5804 Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Thanks for any help with this.
I don't know anything about Apple TV but I strongly suggest you follow my JVC 4K QuickStart guide. It is rock solid. If you follow this guide and still have issues, it's the Apple TV. A bad cable will cause lots of weird and unpredictable issues like drop outs and such. I'd make certain you do that and...it's step 1.
post #4916 of 5804 Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I read the extensive hdmi cable test posted here at Avsforum and settled on the RUIPRO fiber hdmi that was one of the two recommended ones for longer distances: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6HM1RL...rum-convert-20
Did you notice you bought the exact same HDMI cable I recommended to you less than 40 minutes after you first posted trouble getting 4K to work with your X800? Interesting (but not surprising) that thread came to the same conclusion.

I've had my RS400 for 18 months and I have spent WAY too much time on this forum trying to get it to look the best it possibly can (because I've never been satisfied with its "HDR" performance). That is why I am so strongly pushing my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide. People are welcome to spend countless hours pouring over the forums but they will all ultimately reach the same conclusions I have. May as well just read the answer key.
post #4917 of 5804 Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Did you notice you bought the exact same HDMI cable I recommended to you less than 40 minutes after you first posted trouble getting 4K to work with your X800? Interesting (but not surprising) that thread came to the same conclusion.

I've had my RS400 for 18 months and I have spent WAY too much time on this forum trying to get it to look the best it possibly can (because I've never been satisfied with its "HDR" performance). That is why I am so strongly pushing my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide. People are welcome to spend countless hours pouring over the forums but they will all ultimately reach the same conclusions I have. May as well just read the answer key.
No offense - I read the AVS test and settled on the RUIPRO (one of only two cable that met all their standards) since the one you recommended (Monoprice) was not available for delivery in Sweden. As you know I am grateful for all the help I’ve gotten, and I’ve expressed that on several occasions.

JVC RS400/X5000, Marantz SR5011, Sony UHD X800
—————————-
"National unity in Europe is still defined in terms of blood and earth. In the USA it's the idea – expressed in the Constitution – that supports the development of the nation. In the matter of integration the difference is profound: everyone can agree on an idea, but no-one can change their ties of blood."
post #4918 of 5804 Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No offense - I read the AVS test and settled on the RUIPRO (one of only two cable that met all their standards) since the one you recommended (Monoprice) was not available for delivery in Sweden. As you know I am grateful for all the help I’ve gotten, and I’ve expressed that on several occasions.
I recommended two cables in that post, the Monoprice cable for 25 feet and under and the RUIPRO for long runs. The Monoprice cables are limited to 25 feet and are Certified Premium. The RUIPRO is the only cable I recommend over 25 feet.

I'm just glad you are rockin' 4K! Do you still have the X800? Are you running custom gamma curves?

There are A LOT of people surging on here with these projectors and 4K in general. Many are severely misinformed regarding HDMI and are getting screwed from companies that are lying about their compatibility and they end up buying 30+ foot long copper cables and wonder why it doesn't work. What makes it especially terrible is the usually only find out after running it through a wall.

It's not really their fault, a lot of the manufacturer websites are purposely very vague with 'compatibility'.
post #4919 of 5804 Old 01-19-2018, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
A good calibration will ensure whatever display you have will have the most accurate and 'correct' image possible. The RSx00 projectors (RS400/RS500/RS600) look amazing right out of the box for HD and 3D but they were released before any 4K content was available. They have a very broken and flawed HDR system which means that out of the box, most 4K HDR movies will look broken and nothing like the beautiful image you see now in HD. JVC has put out a recommended HDR settings guide that involves using Gamma D but even that is drastically flawed. With these default settings, you will never be happy with the way 4K HDR looks, this is not hyperbole.
Good luck!
Hi Dreamliner, congratulations for the excellent post, but what premode Gamma curves would you recommend for my X5000, installed in a living room, with sofas and light curtains?
Thanks, tanks
post #4920 of 5804 Old 01-19-2018, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo53 View Post
Hi Dreamliner, congratulations for the excellent post, but what premode Gamma curves would you recommend for my X5000, installed in a living room, with sofas and light curtains?
Thanks, tanks
I need to test out the available curves more to see if I can lock down a solid single recommendation. I don't think the room makes a huge difference barring the extremes (all white, all black, sunlight or lights on). Of course, the darker the room, the better the image but I don't think that has much of a bearing the custom curve you choose. Try as many as you want until you find one you like. You've got 3 custom slots and you can over write them as often as you wish.

The reason I don't have a direct recommendation right now is I moved to SDR2020 and abandoned 'HDR' as I couldn't get a reliably good image on all discs. I talked about it at the very bottom of the JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.

I've walked a few people through the process and every one of them preferred SDR2020 but it requires an Oppo 203 or a Panasonic UB900 + HD Fury Integral or Vertex.
SimpleTheater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page