Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3535Likes

post #5311 of 5774 Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have a short question before I purchase the HDFury Vertex, does the JVC macro feature on the Vertex fully compatible with the DLA-RS400? I assume that this is the case, but wanted to make sure before I will buy one.

Many thanks,
Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5774 Old 11-16-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshets View Post
Hi,

I have a short question before I purchase the HDFury Vertex, does the JVC macro feature on the Vertex fully compatible with the DLA-RS400? I assume that this is the case, but wanted to make sure before I will buy one.

Many thanks,
Michael.
I don't have a Vertex, but I've not read anything that would indicate it would work any differently with the RS400 (which I do have) than any of the other JVC's of that, or more recent, generations.

That said, since the release of the Panasonic UB-820, with its very effective tone-mapping, the Vertex/Custom Curve option is not necessarily the best way to go for watching UHD Discs. So before you spend money on a Vertex, wanted to make sure you realized there was another option available, much simpler, and perhaps equally, if not more, effective than the Vertex approach.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #5313 of 5774 Old 11-16-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks,
Michael.
Be sure to read my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.

I had a Panasonic UB900 and a HD Fury Vertex and I sold both for a Panasonic UB820. The only reason someone with our projector would need an HD Fury product is if they had an Apple TV...apparently that will continuously switch back to Gamma D during playback.

If you have any other player or streamer, you just need to hit the gamma button once when you start playing an HDR movie to get to custom gamma projector setting (the projector will always default to Gamma D when it sees HDR). With the UB820, the SDR conversion means the projector never sees HDR and never switches on it's own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5774 Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I had a Panasonic UB900 and a HD Fury Vertex and I sold both for a Panasonic UB820. The only reason someone with our projector would need an HD Fury product is if they had an Apple TV...apparently that will continuously switch back to Gamma D during playback.

If you have any other player or streamer, you just need to hit the gamma button once when you start playing an HDR movie to get to custom gamma projector setting (the projector will always default to Gamma D when it sees HDR). With the UB820, the SDR conversion means the projector never sees HDR and never switches on it's own.

The Panasonic 820 only applies its tone mapping to UHD disc sources right? So those of us who use other devices for HDR streaming like the Xbox (for Netflix Dolby Atmos content) still need to use a custom gamma curve for best results? Also, where did you hear about the Apple TV switching to gamma D during playback? That would suck if true as I was just about to pick one up next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5315 of 5774 Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
The Panasonic 820 only applies its tone mapping to UHD disc sources right? So those of us who use other devices for HDR streaming like the Xbox (for Netflix Dolby Atmos content) still need to use a custom gamma curve for best results? Also, where did you hear about the Apple TV switching to gamma D during playback? That would suck if true as I was just about to pick one up next week.
Yes, you still need custom gamma loaded for streamers (I have JAVS V3 still loaded for that reason, linked in my guide). Dominic alerted me to the Apple TV issue, apparently it only happens with Dolby Vision streams. I'm going to update my guide to reflect this oddity with the Apple TV and my recommendation of the UB820 for discs.

Apparently, the Apple TV issue has two resolutions: 1) HD Fury Linker 2) Set the Apple TV to SDR 4K and turn off “Match Range”.
post #5316 of 5774 Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6681 Post(s)
Liked: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Just watched a 4k Netflix movie, it was 2:35:1 and it looked fine detailed, bright enough, could of dropped the brightness a little, the movie was The Transfiguration. Good movie.
Now LukeCage Netflix4K looks very dim but still detailed.......
There are many variables that may make one movie never look as good as another, starting with the way it was filmed. Don't expect every movie to look fantastic
post #5317 of 5774 Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I don't have a Vertex, but I've not read anything that would indicate it would work any differently with the RS400 (which I do have) than any of the other JVC's of that, or more recent, generations.

That said, since the release of the Panasonic UB-820, with its very effective tone-mapping, the Vertex/Custom Curve option is not necessarily the best way to go for watching UHD Discs. So before you spend money on a Vertex, wanted to make sure you realized there was another option available, much simpler, and perhaps equally, if not more, effective than the Vertex approach.
Thank you both for the quick and informative response,

Unfortunately, in my country we have virtually no access to physical UHD media, so I am pretty much limited to using my streamer.
If I am not mistaken the Vertex is my only option if I want to automatically set gamma curves and be able to use the dynamic iris when watching HDR.

Thanks again,
Michael.
post #5318 of 5774 Old 11-17-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both for the quick and informative response,

Unfortunately, in my country we have virtually no access to physical UHD media, so I am pretty much limited to using my streamer.
If I am not mistaken the Vertex is my only option if I want to automatically set gamma curves and be able to use the dynamic iris when watching HDR.

Thanks again,
Michael.
If streaming is your primary source, then the UB-820 isn't your best choice.

The Vertex will allow the 'automatic' selection of Gamma Curves, assuming that streaming sources include the metadata that the Vertex depends on for its macro performance, to select the appropriate curve for given content. You may want to check in the HDFury threads to confirm this is the case.

You can also use the less expensive HDFury Linker - it will enable use of the Dynamic Iris, as well as custom gamma curves. But it will not automatically switch to one of different curves; you would have to manually do that.

I am currently using the Linker for this purpose. I have one main custom curve that I use with basically all HDR content - disc, streaming, etc. And using a Harmony University Hub and Remote, I have it configured so that it will have the projector switch to the appropriate Picture Mode on my RS400, where I have that custom curve configured, so it is still an automatic switching.

But if you want to use more than one custom curve, and if streaming media outputs metadata like UHD discs, then the Vertex is the only device I know of that will *automatically* switch to the curve appropriate for that content.

post #5319 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Apple TV 4K keeps switching to Gamma D with Netflix HDR

My RS400 was calibrated by ChadB who provided a custom gamma curve for use with HDR content. I switch to that curve manually after the projector's automatic switch to gamma D.

I'm using an Apple TV 4K. On some (not all) Netflix HDR content the projector keeps switching back to D repeatedly. It's content-related because the switches always occur at exactly the same places in any particular stream. I haven't seen this behavior with Amazon Prime Video nor with HDR content from my local Plex server played on the Apple TV.

It's specific to the Apple TV and doesn't happen with other HDR video sources. I don't see it with the Oppo UDP-203 nor with the Dune Solo 4K. I also got in a Roku Ultra and it has no issue with the problematic Netflix streams.

Is there any configuration, either of the Apple TV or the RS400, that would prevent or mitigate this? I have the Apple TV configured for "4K SDR 60Hz" with content matching (frame rate and dynamic range) and it otherwise plays well with the JVC that way. I haven't found an alternative configuration that works any better.

Might the HDFury Vertex solve this? I've considered getting one anyway to automate the mode and gamma switching but if there's a visual glitch every few seconds with these Netflix streams it will still be an unpleasant experience.

Ron Gomes
post #5320 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
My RS400 was calibrated by ChadB who provided a custom gamma curve for use with HDR content. I switch to that curve manually after the projector's automatic switch to gamma D.

I'm using an Apple TV 4K. On some (not all) Netflix HDR content the projector keeps switching back to D repeatedly. It's content-related because the switches always occur at exactly the same places in any particular stream. I haven't seen this behavior with Amazon Prime Video nor with HDR content from my local Plex server played on the Apple TV.

It's specific to the Apple TV and doesn't happen with other HDR video sources. I don't see it with the Oppo UDP-203 nor with the Dune Solo 4K. I also got in a Roku Ultra and it has no issue with the problematic Netflix streams.

Is there any configuration, either of the Apple TV or the RS400, that would prevent or mitigate this? I have the Apple TV configured for "4K SDR 60Hz" with content matching (frame rate and dynamic range) and it otherwise plays well with the JVC that way. I haven't found an alternative configuration that works any better.

Might the HDFury Vertex solve this? I've considered getting one anyway to automate the mode and gamma switching but if there's a visual glitch every few seconds with these Netflix streams it will still be an unpleasant experience.
This is a well known issue. The HD Fury Linker can fix the issue by disabling the HDR “flag”; presumably the Vertex can do it as well (and more).
post #5321 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
This is a well known issue. The HD Fury Linker can fix the issue by disabling the HDR “flag”; presumably the Vertex can do it as well (and more).
Thanks, Dominic. I've ordered a Vertex.

I see that there's a very long Forum thread about the Vertex. Is there a description anywhere on the Forum or elsewhere of how to configure it for the specific application that I have here, which is a set-and-forget configuration that sits between the video sources and the RS400, and switches to a specific Profile and Gamma based on the input signal?

Ron Gomes
post #5322 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Dominic. I've ordered a Vertex.

I see that there's a very long Forum thread about the Vertex. Is there a description anywhere on the Forum or elsewhere of how to configure it for the specific application that I have here, which is a set-and-forget configuration that sits between the video sources and the RS400, and switches to a specific Profile and Gamma based on the input signal?
I don't have a Vertex, but if you look at the RS500/600 calibration thread, Manni has a link on how to configure the Vertex. The RS400 should be similar, except for the lack of BT.2020 colour filter.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...500-rs600.html
post #5323 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the RS400, connectded to a Marantz SR7010, with the HDFury Linker in-between to remove the HDR flag and prevent Gamma D auto-switching, and enable the DI. All my sources (primarily Phillips BDP-7501 for UHD and HD BD, with some Roku (Premiere+) connect to the Marantz.

I am encountering the problem where the Projector loses Sync at times, resulting in that odd screen with flashing colored lines. This was a known phenomenon with the Roku, possibly related to having CMD enabled. But lately, I am seeing it after viewing a UHD or HD Blu-ray, during the shutdown process (I use the Harmony Remote/Hub, controlled by voice with Alexa), when the disc is ejected, and before the Projector is turned off near the end of the sequence. It doesn't happen all the time, and in a sense, it's not a problem, since it will be turning off anyway, but it bugs me. Plus, if I wanted to watch something different after, I might have to power cycle the projector.

(I don't believe it is from the HDMI Cable - this is a 25' 'PlugLug' cable from Amazon, no longer available, but with which I can watch any UHD blu-ray, including the 60Hz torture test of UHD of Billy Lynn. No glitches during playback. It's just this odd, occasional corruption of sync after I watch something.)

Anyway, with that as an introduction, I was thinking about how to eliminate this, as well as eliminate the frequent 15-20 second HDMI sync lags inherent in the JVC. What I'm considering is configuring the Marantz AVR to output 4k/24 Hz all the time, regardless of the source. Since I mostly watch movies in there, I'll end up with 24 Hz anyway.

Is there any downside to doing this? I'd think it would likely eliminate the problem I intermittently have, as well as eliminating pretty much all the delays caused by the prolonged HDMI sync of the projector.

Thanks.

post #5324 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Is there any downside to doing this? I'd think it would likely eliminate the problem I intermittently have, as well as eliminating pretty much all the delays caused by the prolonged HDMI sync of the projector.
I don’t see any problems with that. I’ve been doing something similar, but using the Apple TV 4K, as I watch my movies mostly via streaming.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #5325 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't have a Vertex, but if you look at the RS500/600 calibration thread, Manni has a link on how to configure the Vertex. The RS400 should be similar, except for the lack of BT.2020 colour filter.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...500-rs600.html
Again, thanks, Dominic. I’ve been hopping around reading posts about this and it’s less daunting than I’d expected. And I see that you yourself experienced and reported this Netflix HDR issue with the Apple TV 4K almost a year ago. That’s about how long I’ve had my own RS400 so I’m surprised I didn’t see this before now.

I’ve only just recently turned off frame-rate matching on the Apple TV, as I believe you’re also doing. This means that all the 24p and 50p content that I watch (which is most of it) is being diddled to 60p by the ATV, but the small loss in PQ is worth it to avoid most of the maddening 20-second resyncs. My long-suffering family will be also very pleased with that.

I still have to figure out exactly how to map the input signal types to the modes that Chad set up for me (and I have several sources in addition to the Apple TV, all switched through a Sony receiver) but I’ll solicit advice on that when the Vertex arrives.

I realize you don’t have a Vertex, but could you please tell me how your Apple TV is currently set up for use with your Linker? My own, pre-Vertex configuration is 4K SDR 60Hz with rate matching off and range matching on. Don’t know if any of that will need to change.

Ron Gomes
post #5326 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I realize you don’t have a Vertex, but could you please tell me how your Apple TV is currently set up for use with your Linker? My own, pre-Vertex configuration is 4K SDR 60Hz with rate matching off and range matching on. Don’t know if any of that will need to change.
Most of the time I even turn off range matching, so that the screen doesn’t go “weird” when I pause the movie and get back to the ATV UI.

However, I would change the ATV video setting to match the movie I’ll be watching. For non-critical viewing I may even skip that and let the ATV handle the range conversion.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 12-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.
post #5327 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most of the time I even turn off range matching, so that the screen doesn’t go “weird” when I pause the movie and get back to the ATV UI.

However, I would change the ATV video setting to match the movie I’ll be watching. For non-critical viewing I may even skip that and let the ATV handle the range conversion.
But doesn’t changing the video setting involve a lengthy “we will test to see if your TV can support this” interaction?

Ron Gomes
post #5328 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But doesn’t changing the video setting involve a lengthy “we will test to see if your TV can support this” interaction?
The “test” itself isn’t lengthy. What takes the time is the projector’s resync, and I do it only when needed (far less than alternative options).
post #5329 of 5774 Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hey guys, need a little advice. I own an x5000, I have installed calibration V6 in which I have used to import colour profiles and pre made gammas. Now I want to go down the way of doing an auto cal but are unable to find the spyder4 to purchase here in Australia to be able to do an auto cal, might be a silly question but can I install and use the newer V7? (Reason been as I can purchase a spyder5 here) Will it recognise the custom profiles and gammas already set on the projector or do I have to reset the projector back to factory settings?
Advice welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5330 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy632 View Post
Hey guys, need a little advice. I own an x5000, I have installed calibration V6 in which I have used to import colour profiles and pre made gammas. Now I want to go down the way of doing an auto cal but are unable to find the spyder4 to purchase here in Australia to be able to do an auto cal, might be a silly question but can I install and use the newer V7? (Reason been as I can purchase a spyder5 here) Will it recognise the custom profiles and gammas already set on the projector or do I have to reset the projector back to factory settings?
Advice welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes version 7 will the spyder5 all custom profiles and gammas should be fine.
johnnyboy632 likes this.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
post #5331 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I did the calibration again this time with gamma and colour 33 point, I made sure the the spyder was in the middle of the screen and the small round light just under the projector. This time it looks even better. That's the best i have seen it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2491848

Name:	IMG_1818.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2491850

Name:	IMG_1819.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2491852
I was reading manni's post and I thought that he said you only have to do that calibration once for normal gamma, and that should take to all the other inputs like cinema user1 and user2. Is that correct. As I have calibrated all of my inputs.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
post #5332 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
I was reading manni's post and I thought that he said you only have to do that calibration once for normal gamma, and that should take to all the other inputs like cinema user1 and user2. Is that correct. As I have calibrated all of my inputs.
For each specific combination of Lamp Power, CMD, Filter (if you have it), there is only one set of gamma calibration data. If you calibrate different Picture Modes that share the same settings, the subsequent calibration will simply override the previous one.

Colour calibration also depends on the iris range (there are four ranges).
nucky likes this.
post #5333 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
For the Custom Curves step (which links to here), step 7/8 lays that out. I only have one curve loaded (JAVS V3). I use User Mode 1 for HD, 2 for 4K and 3 for 3D.
Dreamliner, could I trouble you to share either a link to or details about how you've configured for 3D?
post #5334 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjerseydad22 View Post
Dreamliner, could I trouble you to share either a link to or details about how you've configured for 3D?
Steps 7/8 pretty much covers it. For the most part I have it set like 4K but use the 3D Cinema picture mode.

Start by hitting User 3 the go to 3D Cinema color profile, high lamp, gamma normal, 0 iris and things like Clear Black and CMD off. The reason you start by hitting User 3 is so all these things are saved to User 3 so all you have to do in the future is hit the one button. I’ve got HD set with User 1, 4K set with User 2namd 3D set with User 3.
mtbdudex and nucky like this.
post #5335 of 5774 Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Vertex setup with Apple TV 4K in the mix

I have a Vertex on order and I'm gathering the information I'll need for setting it up with the RS400. I have four video sources (Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Dune Solo 4K, TiVo Roamio) connected through a Sony STRDN1080 AVR to the projector.

My initial goal is modest. I just want the Vertex to switch the JVC between the user modes that ChadB configured based on whether the signal is HDR or SDR, preventing the switch to gamma D and all that rigmarole.

From what I've read, in particular Manni's description of JVC setup, it would seem that "Automatic" HDR10 mode with JVC Macro Control would give me what I need, and I just need to map the specific content types to the user modes that Chad provided.

But does the Apple TV complicate this? The "Ignore Metadata" HDR10 mode is described as "useful for those using an Apple TV or any device providing bogus metadata", but I've also read posts from a while back to the effect that "Apple has fixed its problems with HDR metadata", so is this even an issue anymore?

My other sources like the Oppo presumably send correct HDR metadata so I don't want to ignore that if I don't have to.

If the Apple TV still needs special treatment does that mean I'd need to program a "Custom" handler?

Or is all this just overkill and all I really need is a single User Mode for HDR and I should use that for all HDR content and forget all this complexity?

Ron Gomes
post #5336 of 5774 Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t see any problems with that. I’ve been doing something similar, but using the Apple TV 4K, as I watch my movies mostly via streaming.
Just to add this to the thread, I gave this a try, but it unfortunately doesn't do what I had hoped.

If the Marantz sees inputs with 4k @ 60 Hz, it will still output 4k @ 60 Hz, *not* 24 Hz. It doesn't appear there is any combination of settings in my AVR, in the Philips BDP-7501, nor in the HDFury Linker, that will accomplish this.

I guess this gives me another reason to upgrade to the RS3000, with reportedly significantly faster handshake times!!

post #5337 of 5774 Old 12-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my RS400 that I bought from AVS. I have the JVC recommended PC serial adapter (TripLite USA-19HS) and a StarTech F-F serial cable. I loaded the drivers for the serial adapter and ran the diagnostic test to make sure the serial adapter was recognized by the PC. The updater program will open and allows me to select the firmware file, etc but I get a “communication error” message when I initiate the update. I have followed the JVC instructions to the letter. Can anyone provide some insight? Thank you.
post #5338 of 5774 Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JVC RS400 Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore88 View Post
I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my RS400 that I bought from AVS. I have the JVC recommended PC serial adapter (TripLite USA-19HS) and a StarTech F-F serial cable. I loaded the drivers for the serial adapter and ran the diagnostic test to make sure the serial adapter was recognized by the PC. The updater program will open and allows me to select the firmware file, etc but I get a “communication error” message when I initiate the update. I have followed the JVC instructions to the letter. Can anyone provide some insight? Thank you.
Since no one responded I did some additional research. The following equipment is needed to do an update via the archaic serial port. 1) Tripp-Lite USA-19HS USB serial adapter 2) StarTech.com DB9 RS232 Serial female-female NULL Cable - SCNM9FF. Follow the JVC firmware directions and you should be good to go. The latest version posted in 2017 is 83.2.4

On a side note, I have purchased three JVC projectors over the years. Due to the HDR fiasco, poor support, lame update process and the outrageous price points this will be the last JVC projector I ever buy. Good riddance JVC.

Last edited by kmoore88; 12-13-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Corrected a Typo on the latest firmware version
post #5339 of 5774 Old 12-13-2018, 08:39 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since no one responded I did some additional research. The following equipment is needed to do an update via the archaic serial port. 1) Tripp-Lite USA-19HS USB serial adapter 2) StarTech.com DB9 RS232 Serial female-female NULL Cable - SCNM9FF. Follow the JVC firmware directions and you should be good to go. The latest version posted in 2017 is 8.2.4.
What does the 8.2.4 firmware add? Because of all the warnings about "bricking the projector" if the update goes awry I haven't attempted this.

Ron Gomes
post #5340 of 5774 Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since no one responded I did some additional research. The following equipment is needed to do an update via the archaic serial port. 1) Tripp-Lite USA-19HS USB serial adapter 2) StarTech.com DB9 RS232 Serial female-female NULL Cable - SCNM9FF. Follow the JVC firmware directions and you should be good to go. The latest version posted in 2017 is 8.2.4.

On a side note, I have purchased three JVC projectors over the years. Due to the HDR fiasco, poor support, lame update process and the outrageous price points this will be the last JVC projector I ever buy. Good riddance JVC.
I certainly understand your frustration. I have the RS400, had to deal with the hassle of 1980's cables for firmware updates, had to import and modify custom curves for HDR performance, etc. Definitely a hassle, and JVC could have done more, at least on the HDR side, to ease our pain. But dang, it puts out a great image.

And ironically, the newly announced RS1000/2000/3000 series should have excellent HDR performance out of the box, with their new tone-mapping feature, has firmware updates by USB, and other improvements. So despite the fact that JVC left much to be desired with our generation of projectors, it doesn't seem there is anything out there that will yield this type of picture quality, especially at the various price levels for the different models.

So if/when you consider an upgrade, JVC might still represent one of your better options. I am actively considering the RS3000, despite frustration with JVC. YMMV, as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page