Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3511Likes

post #5371 of 5652 Old 12-27-2018, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Problem is i never really learned the menu settings, i did it once a couple years ago...
Please read my JVC 4K Quickstart Guide. Step 3 directly answers your questions, including exactly what buttons on your remote to be pressing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5652 Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Original RS400 owner- Back in the HT after some time away — Need a quick update!!

I’m an original owner paired with the old Samsung 850 player and I have a pile of HDMI cables that we all tried and tried again back then!!

So here I am and blowing the dust off the HT. There are SOOOO many threads and posts on curves, etc. I’ve got the 2020 file and original curve that came out loaded. That’s it.

If I purchase the Panny 820, my understanding is this will serve my 400 very well. Can someone either PM me or post a quick guide to what I need to do to optimize with the 820 and if the 820 does auto color mapping, turning my 400 into a 420/440 what curves and settings would I use in the 400?

Sorry for being so behind the times but show some love to one of the original trailblazers of the 400 back in the day!!
See my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide as a refresher. I hate to sound redundant but it really is the best way to make certain you've got everything set right. As a matter of fact, I was able to go directly to the correct HDMI cables in 2016 with zero trial and error because I was very careful to select actual Certified Premium HDMI Cables. Listed in step one.

My guide needs a bit of updating to incorporate the UB820 settings but it is unquestionably the BEST 4K disc player. I still recommend loading the JAVS V3 curve (linked in my guide) for any streaming you might do. I'm happy as a clam with my UB820 and the JAVS V3 curve loaded in the off chance I'm watching something with my Nvidia SHIELD. Basically, the UB820 now converts all UHD discs to SDR and maintains the Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) leaving you with a beautiful image every time.

1) All you need to do on the UB820 is go into Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamma Output and set it to SDR/BT.2020.

2) Now we're going to set up your picture settings for HDR movies on your projector. Press a User Mode on the remote (I have a few different profiles set up so my User 1 is for HD, User 2 is for 4K and User 3 is for 3D). Choose and press a user mode that makes sense to you, then go into the projector Picture Adjust Menu and change the color profile to BT.2020. Change Gamma to Custom 1, then right below that in the gamma screen, change correction value to 2.4. (This is also the slot I have the JAVS V3 custom gamma curve loaded and I can switch correction value to IMPORT if I want to use it). I'd also suggest turning on High Lamp, CMD Off, Auto Iris off, Iris Manual on 0 and Clear Black Low. (Iris, CMD & Clear Black is a preference though).

By doing this, going forward you just have to hit the one User mode button on your projector remote and it will recall all the settings for 4K (Essentially Gamma 2.4 & BT.2020).
post #5373 of 5652 Old 12-28-2018, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
See my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide as a refresher. I hate to sound redundant but it really is the best way to make certain you've got everything set right. As a matter of fact, I was able to go directly to the correct HDMI cables in 2016 with zero trial and error because I was very careful to select actual Certified Premium HDMI Cables. Listed in step one.

My guide needs a bit of updating to incorporate the UB820 settings but it is unquestionably the BEST 4K disc player. I still recommend loading the JAVS V3 curve (linked in my guide) for any streaming you might do. I'm happy as a clam with my UB820 and the JAVS V3 curve loaded in the off chance I'm watching something with my Nvidia SHIELD. Basically, the UB820 now converts all UHD discs to SDR and maintains the Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) leaving you with a beautiful image every time.

1) All you need to do on the UB820 is go into Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamma Output and set it to SDR/BT.2020.

2) Now we're going to set up your picture settings for HDR movies on your projector. Press a User Mode on the remote (I have a few different profiles set up so my User 1 is for HD, User 2 is for 4K and User 3 is for 3D). Choose and press a user mode that makes sense to you, then go into the projector Picture Adjust Menu and change the color profile to BT.2020. Change Gamma to Custom 1, then right below that in the gamma screen, change correction value to 2.4. (This is also the slot I have the JAVS V3 custom gamma curve loaded and I can switch correction value to IMPORT if I want to use it). I'd also suggest turning on High Lamp, CMD Off, Auto Iris off, Iris Manual on 0 and Clear Black Low. (Iris, CMD & Clear Black is a preference though).

By doing this, going forward you just have to hit the one User mode button on your projector remote and it will recall all the settings for 4K (Essentially Gamma 2.4 & BT.2020).
Hey Dreamliner - How come people recommend using a 'User' picture mode on the JVC when using the Panasonic player rather than just editing the original HDR mode? I've just edited my original HDR mode to the settings you recommended as it's right there on the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5374 of 5652 Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Quote:
Problem is i never really learned the menu settings, i did it once a couple years ago...
Please read my JVC 4K Quickstart Guide. Step 3 directly answers your questions, including exactly what buttons on your remote to be pressing.
Omg....duh....the three custom gamma curves are in the GD Gamma menu !!!
Thats why theres a Gamma button on the remote too !!! Only took a year to understand this :0/

Ok, now how, and where do i get into “import” mode.

Can i plug the pj into the laptop, or does it have to go into my network hub

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 12-28-2018 at 06:54 AM.
post #5375 of 5652 Old 12-28-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:
If im trying the JVC curves, which type are they
Both .conf and .jgd curves are for JVC projectors. Download the curves you want and check the file name to determine the format.
Can u help me with Post #5374 , i’ve got the Laptop ready to go.....

post #5376 of 5652 Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Can u help me with Post #5374 , i’ve got the Laptop ready to go.....
If you select Gamma and click OK it will bring you there.
post #5377 of 5652 Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Im stuck at the first step, do i choose gamma or import/export, it says could not setup a LAN connection.....regardless which one I choose:0/ am I connected???

Im using the jvc method

Last edited by kgveteran; 12-29-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #5378 of 5652 Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
My original projector was a Panasonic AE7000 and I demoed a AE8000 & RS46, kept the RS46 then upgraded to a RS400 (X550).

If you can get a good deal on it, the RS400/X550 is a great 4K projector when paired with the right UHD player (Panasonic UB820) and an easily loaded premade gamma curve for everything else.
No question about that, the RS400/X550 are solid units. They will still leave many of the new models in the dust.
post #5379 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any one wanna take a stab at why my LAN connection isnt working. Network setting shows an ip address if that helps.....
post #5380 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Any one wanna take a stab at why my LAN connection isnt working. Network setting shows an ip address if that helps.....
Hopefully this may help you

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55041362
post #5381 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Quote:
Hopefully this may help you

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55041362
Ok WW, thank you, i’ll give it a try tomorrow !

post #5382 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

That’s an awesome explanation Dreamliner (great screename choice), however up u til today that hyperlink to the QuickStart post worked but today it isn’t working for whatever reason. Brings me to a different point in this thread. I’m about to boot up the PC and get things movin
post #5383 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s an awesome explanation Dreamliner (great screename choice), however up u til today that hyperlink to the QuickStart post worked but today it isn’t working for whatever reason. Brings me to a different point in this thread. I’m about to boot up the PC and get things movin
It's this forum. The links on this forum get wonky a lot of the time and nobody knows why. It brings you to the top of the page but not to the actual post. The link works, sometimes if you try another browser, private browsing or closing all your tabs and try again it will work. @zombie10k suggested trying to manually type the links a different way instead of using the forum provided 'permalink' (which I did and it is still set that way) and obviously the problem persisted. The software this forum uses is quite...unique.

My JVC 4K QuickStart Guide is Post 4897 in this thread.
post #5384 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
It's this forum. The links on this forum get wonky a lot of the time and nobody knows why. It brings you to the top of the page but not to the actual post. The link works, sometimes if you try another browser, private browsing or closing all your tabs and try again it will work. @zombie10k suggested trying to manually type the links a different way instead of using the forum provided 'permalink' (which I did and it is still set that way) and obviously the problem persisted. The software this forum uses is quite...unique.

My JVC 4K QuickStart Guide is Post 4897 in this thread.

If you use this specific code in the signature or a regular post - with the post number from the URL, it will work every time.

JVC Quick Start Guide

Quote:
Try that link above it should take you to the correct post.
Dominic Chan likes this.
post #5385 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
If you use this specific code in the signature or a regular post - with the post number from the URL, it will work every time.

JVC Quick Start Guide

No matter how you slice it, the resulting URL is the same.
post #5386 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
No matter how you slice it, the resulting URL is the same.
Try it please.. it works. exactly like I posted above. Only in the forum post or signature, not with using the translated URL in external redirect.
post #5387 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Try it please.. it works. exactly like I posted above. Only in the forum post or signature, not with using the translated URL in external redirect.
I’ll redo my sig links (again) with the post tags. If I get anymore complaints I’ll forward them to you.

Why couldn’t this forum just use vBulletin like everyone else.
post #5388 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:37 PM

Disregard I’m downloading the curves now. My iPhone browser was having issues with the hyperlink.

For an RS400 running a 135” 16:9 would you recommend the newer 85 nits auto cal V3 or the older 100nits V3? I’m going to download both for now but interested in which one would suit me better for my projector and screen.
post #5389 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I’ll redo my sig links (again) with the post tags. If I get anymore complaints I’ll forward them to you.

Why couldn’t this forum just use vBulletin like everyone else.

Thanks Man. Didn’t mean to start an issue. Working great on all platforms now. Appreciate your time. This is great stuff.
post #5390 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Disregard I’m downloading the curves now. My iPhone browser was having issues with the hyperlink.

For an RS400 running a 135” 16:9 would you recommend the newer 85 nits auto cal V3 or the older 100nits V3? I’m going to download both for now but interested in which one would suit me better for my projector and screen.
The 85 nits one will be brighter, try both and see what you like more. I don’t remember which one I have loaded. Since I’m using the UB820 I haven’t needed to use a curve in months.
post #5391 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The 85 nits one will be brighter, try both and see what you like more. I don’t remember which one I have loaded. Since I’m using the UB820 I haven’t needed to use a curve in months.

Picking up the UB820 tomorrow!! Looking for ward to it. I’ll probably end up using these for AppleTV 4K material that’s UHD encoded, and running everything else through the 820. Does the 820 convert to SDR while keeping WCG for its apps as well as the disc content?

Last question I promise. Both the 100 and 85 within the folders have a 4000 and 1200 nit version. For my application, which of the two would be better? I’m trying to wrap my head around the light output numbers and their application in these files, calibration is something I have Zero experience with, until right now!

Thanks again.
post #5392 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Picking up the UB820 tomorrow!! Looking for ward to it. I’ll probably end up using these for AppleTV 4K material that’s UHD encoded, and running everything else through the 820. Does the 820 convert to SDR while keeping WCG for its apps as well as the disc content?

Last question I promise. Both the 100 and 85 within the folders have a 4000 and 1200 nit version. For my application, which of the two would be better? I’m trying to wrap my head around the light output numbers and their application in these files, calibration is something I have Zero experience with, until right now!

Thanks again.
I don’t know if the UB820 applies SDR to streams or not (I haven’t tried yet), I think possibly because I seem to recall an enablable option for apps or something in the menu in the same spot as for discs.

4000 and 1200 refers to different disc mastering. To get super nerdy you’d match it up based on each disc. Since there’s no way to tell how a disc is mastered without finding the disc details on this forum or wherever. I just ignored all that and went with the curve I thought looked best. Pretty sure 85/1200 will be the brightest. Technically you lose detail with brighter curves, you either lose detail to brightness or lose detail to darkness...but you’ll quickly see which you prefer. The difference between some of these curves is quite minor.
post #5393 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if the UB820 applies SDR to streams or not (I haven’t tried yet), I think possibly because I seem to recall an enablable option for apps or something in the menu in the same spot as for discs.

4000 and 1200 refers to different disc mastering. To get super nerdy you’d match it up based on each disc. Since there’s no way to tell how a disc is mastered without finding the disc details on this forum or wherever. I just ignored all that and went with the curve I thought looked best. Pretty sure 85/1200 will be the brightest. Technically you lose detail with brighter curves, you either lose detail to brightness or lose detail to darkness...but you’ll quickly see which you prefer. The difference between some of these curves is quite minor.
Done! Success! Set up just the way you recommended and it’s just gorgeous. Replayed scenes from The Martian and this is what it should have looked like all along.

Dreamliner you’re a godsend thank you for all you’ve done here. Curious what it will look like tomorrow with the 820. I feel like I just breathed new life into my RS400.
post #5394 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Done! Success! Set up just the way you recommended and it’s just gorgeous. Replayed scenes from The Martian and this is what it should have looked like all along.

Dreamliner you’re a godsend thank you for all you’ve done here. Curious what it will look like tomorrow with the 820. I feel like I just breathed new life into my RS400.
Double knot your sneakers or the UB820 will blow your socks right off!
post #5395 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know where i can buy one of these? They seemed to have disappeared.
post #5396 of 5652 Old 12-30-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastditch View Post
Anyone know where i can buy one of these? They seemed to have disappeared.
Used. The RS400 was released in 2015 and was replaced by the RS420, then the RS440 and now the NX7. With a premade curve and/or a UB820, the RS400 looks effectively the same as a RS440 & RS420.

You can still buy a RS440 new but I’d look to the NX7/NX9 if you can afford it. If your okay with used, you can save a lot of money picking up a RS400 and using my tips.

The RS400 looks great when configured properly.
post #5397 of 5652 Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Used. The RS400 was released in 2015 and was replaced by the RS420, then the RS440 and now the NX7. With a premade curve and/or a UB820, the RS400 looks effectively the same as a RS440 & RS420.

You can still buy a RS440 new but I’d look to the NX7/NX9 if you can afford it. If your okay with used, you can save a lot of money picking up a RS400 and using my tips.

The RS400 looks great when configured properly.

Thanks. I would love to buy used but cant seem to really find any online or ebay etc. H
Was hoping to snag one around the 3k mark and the nx7 is way out of that range.
post #5398 of 5652 Old 12-31-2018, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry longtime thread lurker here with my RS400. If anyone still has problems with LAN setup, follow the last page of the JVC instructions to the hilt, especially step12 forward and input the exact Preferred DNSserver address shown. This was the most time consuming step for me. Once hooked up with the PJ, Dreamliner’s instructions were super quick & reproducible aside from predownloading the curves.

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...e_en_v1_00.pdf

I spent money on a calibrator 2 yrs ago (not ChadB), still based off of gamma D; HDR looked great but not perfect. Then upgraded to ub900, now on the fence about spending again for the ub820.

With the curves, PQ is so good. My calibrated setting is similar but colors & sheen seem more muted there; Nit100 curve gives it a great shine. Havent used Arve’s tool yet, & I can’t find where to download Dominic’s curves. But for the cost of a LAN cable, you can save near a grand for calibration and get an awesome PQ. I’m sure ChadB’s work is more tailormade and awesome.

Dreamliner, Manni, Arve, Dominic, ChadB and everyone else, thank you, you guys are lifesavers (& even moneysavers).
Chad B and Modicen like this.
post #5399 of 5652 Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do i check to be sure my 400 is connected to the network, its got a LAN connection from it to my modem/router

All other devices are also connected and working, my NvidiaShieldTV streams and so does my BR through the LAN ports

Theres only one network page on the pj menu that i can see

post #5400 of 5652 Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So there isnt a way to check ?