Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3535Likes

post #5401 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
The 85 nits one will be brighter, try both and see what you like more. I don’t remember which one I have loaded. Since I’m using the UB820 I haven’t needed to use a curve in months.

Picking up the UB820 tomorrow!! Looking for ward to it. I’ll probably end up using these for AppleTV 4K material that’s UHD encoded, and running everything else through the 820. Does the 820 convert to SDR while keeping WCG for its apps as well as the disc content?

Last question I promise. Both the 100 and 85 within the folders have a 4000 and 1200 nit version. For my application, which of the two would be better? I’m trying to wrap my head around the light output numbers and their application in these files, calibration is something I have Zero experience with, until right now!

Thanks again.
Thats really great to know.
Looking forward you testing the apple TV and ub820.
Because thats what i want to do, also.

I mainly use the apple TV 4k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Done! Success! Set up just the way you recommended and it’s just gorgeous. Replayed scenes from The Martian and this is what it should have looked like all along.

Dreamliner you’re a godsend thank you for all you’ve done here. Curious what it will look like tomorrow with the 820. I feel like I just breathed new life into my RS400.
Double knot your sneakers or the UB820 will blow your socks right off!
Hey dreamliner, thank you gor your guides.
Helped me a lot.

i also wanted to ask you, do you still need to use the vertex for sdr2020?
Or panny 820 is all that needed?

My main goal, is that i don't want to switch any gammas or profiles...

I just want to choose the movie and watch it, and let the Panasonic 820, do all the job.

I hope it does work gor apple TV, maybe you can by any chance, check if theres an option for apple TV?
post #5403 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
How do i check to be sure my 400 is connected to the network, its got a LAN connection from it to my modem/router

All other devices are also connected and working, my NvidiaShieldTV streams and so does my BR through the LAN ports

Theres only one network page on the pj menu that i can see
If your projector is connected to your router all you need to do is go into that network menu and it should tell you what the IP address is. In the network menu, DHCP should be "on" and when you click "set" it will apply the setting and obtain the IP address. It will then say in the network menu what the address is. (This is covered in my guide, I link right to the JVC PDF).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aili View Post
Hey dreamliner, thank you gor your guides.
Helped me a lot.

i also wanted to ask you, do you still need to use the vertex for sdr2020?
Or panny 820 is all that needed?

I just want to choose the movie and watch it, and let the Panasonic 820, do all the job.

I hope it does work gor apple TV, maybe you can by any chance, check if theres an option for apple TV?
All you need is the UB820. That's why it's so great. I used to have the Vertex+UB900 but the UB820 will do it all on it's own. You still need to put the projector into Gamma 2.4 & Select the BT2020 color profile, but if you follow my guide you'll have all that pre-saved into a User Mode on the remote (I save 2D, 4K & 3D).

There is a quirk with the Apple TV with Dolby Vision HDR content only (apparently) where it will re-handshake with the projector multiple times during normal playback and every time the RSx00 projectors see a "new" HDR signal it will switch to Gamma D. The only fix to that specific Apple TV Dolby Vision issue is a Vertex.

Keep in mind the projector will not automatically chose these display modes, you have to manually set them. Most of the RSx00 projectors didn't have the BT.2020 profile even loaded. Be certain to follow my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide to be certain you have everything configured properly.
post #5405 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Spoiler!

So if I stream ordinary HDR 4k movie from Apple TV, there will be no issues?

"Keep in mind the projector will not automatically chose these display modes" - you mean that whenever I switch from 4k to 1080p, I will have to change its mode?
And that's it?

For instance if I keep watching 1080p movies, I will not need to change anything.
Until I decide to watch a 4k movie...
right?
post #5406 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if I stream ordinary HDR 4k movie from Apple TV, there will be no issues?
From my understanding, it effects Dolby Vision streams only.
Quote:
"Keep in mind the projector will not automatically chose these display modes" - you mean that whenever I switch from 4k to 1080p, I will have to change its mode?
And that's it?

For instance if I keep watching 1080p movies, I will not need to change anything.
Until I decide to watch a 4k movie...
right?
Yes, but then you'll have to change it back to your HD user mode preset after you finish with 4K content, obviously. If you follow my guide you'll see a step where I talk about setting up user modes.
post #5407 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Since you have an RS440, it will switch automatically from HDR to SDR and back, as required by the material you’re watching. It’s the older RS400 that required manual switching.
post #5408 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Since you have an RS440, it will switch automatically from HDR to SDR and back, as required by the material you’re watching. It’s the older RS400 that required manual switching.
Oh, good catch. Does that also mean he won't be affected by the ATV DV issue since they don't want to switch to Gamma D like the RSx00 models?
post #5409 of 5774 Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, good catch. Does that also mean he won't be affected by the ATV DV issue since they don't want to switch to Gamma D like the RSx00 models?
That’s correct. Luckily that glitch does not lead to an HDMI resync on any of the JVC models, apparently on the Sonys they do.
post #5410 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Great! thanx Chan, for your help too.

So my main goal is to enhance the image a bit + make HDR look more vibrant.
Currently I've tested the custom curves, they look much better... but still some scenes are way too dark.

So if im gonna buy a Panasonic 820, and customise it the right way for sdr2020.

All, my streaming 4k content will switch automatically to sdr2020?
And 1080p will just be enhanced, by the Panasonic 820, and will also switch by itself.
post #5411 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 AM

Spoiler!

Thnx dreamliner, I will order panny in a week or so, and give it a go.
I hope that sdr2020 will defintly look good and more vibrant then hdr2020.
post #5412 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So my main goal is to enhance the image a bit + make HDR look more vibrant.
Currently I've tested the custom curves, they look much better... but still some scenes are way too dark.
You can try my “bright curves”. See link in signature.
post #5413 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You can try my “bright curves”. See link in signature.
Thank you ill give It a go.

Also, it looks like I got confused...
I thought there's an HDMI in, in Panasonic ub820... and I can connect my Apple TV, to it. Configure panny to output sdr2020 for all the media, from Apple TV.

So it looks like theres only Oppo left, with tone mapping, and that can be connected to Apple TV?
post #5414 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I thought there's an HDMI in, in Panasonic ub820... and I can connect my Apple TV, to it. Configure panny to output sdr2020 for all the media, from Apple TV.

So it looks like theres only Oppo left, with tone mapping, and that can be connected to Apple TV?
I probably wouldn't get the Oppo. Since it's discontinued pricing shot way up and development/support also stopped. The Tone Mapping is way better on the UB820. I understand you're trying to fix the image on the Apple TV but the Oppo is kind of an excessively extreme measure and last I heard the Tone Mapping wasn't quite right and never got fixed.

Just to be certain, when you loaded the premade Gamma curve you were sure to select "Correction Value INPUT" correct? One of Dominic's or JAVS curves should leave you reasonably satisfied...they each have several curves so be sure to load a few and keep trying them. Be certain to read thoroughly my Custom Curves Quick DIY step. Things might be a bit different on your projector but you should be seeing a definite change when you go from the default gamma curve to the custom one you loaded.
post #5415 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the RS440 you can also try the settings in my link “Optimizing HDR...”, which is easier than loading custom curves. Use the large screen settings if you prefer a brighter image.
post #5416 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I probably wouldn't get the Oppo. Since it's discontinued pricing shot way up and development/support also stopped. The Tone Mapping is way better on the UB820. I understand you're trying to fix the image on the Apple TV but the Oppo is kind of an excessively extreme measure and last I heard the Tone Mapping wasn't quite right and never got fixed.

Just to be certain, when you loaded the premade Gamma curve you were sure to select "Correction Value INPUT" correct? One of Dominic's or JAVS curves should leave you reasonably satisfied...they each have several curves so be sure to load a few and keep trying them. Be certain to read thoroughly my Custom Curves Quick DIY step. Things might be a bit different on your projector but you should be seeing a definite change when you go from the default gamma curve to the custom one you loaded.
Yeah, im sure that i did everything correct.
I see the difference between the curves.

Ok, then i guess theres only one option, try to.make my apple TV work properly)

Ill try those more brighter curves by chan...

Also, im a bit confused...
If i choose 4k HDR, in apple TV settings, apple TV is upscaling everything?
Even 1080p?

And if i chose 1080p e-shift is kicking in?
But 4k media, will still be streamed in 1080p...?
post #5417 of 5774 Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If i choose 4k HDR, in apple TV settings, apple TV is upscaling everything?
Even 1080p?
ATV always scales the resolution to what you select under Settings, so choosing 4k HDR will scale 1080p to 4k.
Further, if you turn off Match Dynamic Range, it will send everything in an 4k HDR “container”, so the JVC will not change mode or resync when switching programs.
post #5418 of 5774 Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

The oppo 203 is still getting updates. It just got HDR 10+

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
post #5419 of 5774 Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
The oppo 203 is still getting updates. It just got HDR 10+
The Titanic was afloat for over 2 hours before sinking...

On a serious note, if they're really going to keep developing, it's crazy they stopped selling.
nucky likes this.
post #5420 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Quote:
How do i check to be sure my 400 is connected to the network, its got a LAN connection from it to my modem/router

All other devices are also connected and working, my NvidiaShieldTV streams and so does my BR through the LAN ports

Theres only one network page on the pj menu that i can see
If your projector is connected to your router all you need to do is go into that network menu and it should tell you what the IP address is. In the network menu, DHCP should be "on" and when you click "set" it will apply the setting and obtain the IP address. It will then say in the network menu what the address is. (This is covered in my guide, I link right to the JVC PDF).
HELP!!!! I got it !!!!! I got the OK :0)

Which ones do i want ? I think i have BT2020 then theres 2-6 ????

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #5421 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Every question you have asked the last several days has been answered in my guide. Follow it.
post #5422 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Every question you have asked the last several days has been answered in my guide. Follow it.
Yeah, you sound like my 9th grade algebra teacher LOL, I appreciate your guide and help, im really psyched i got it connected to my network, at least i know the hardware is in working order, and now the final step, now where are those curve files ;0)

post #5423 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
now where are those curve files ;0)
Even this question was answered in the Dreamliner Guide!
Dreamliner likes this.
post #5424 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even this question was answered in the Dreamliner Guide!
My severe Dyslexia renders reading instructions almost totally useless, following spoken instruction is quite easy, following on forums is very difficult for me and members trying to help, im amazed i got it to connect to my network without a visual guide, but i did :0)

I can wire a houses electrical, i built a 600lb rolling acoustically sealed door for my videoroom, with hand drawn bluprints, i hand built my entire speakers system 7.1.4
But ask me to read instructions, it just doesnt translate well. Sorry about this blurb, it is what it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia
nucky likes this.

Last edited by kgveteran; 01-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #5425 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My severe Dyslexia renders reading instructions almost totally useless, following spoken instruction is quite easy, following on forums is very difficult for me and members trying to help, im amazed i got it to connect without a visual guide :0/
Actually, how did you manage to connect? What changed?

Doe the connection work for both Arves Tool and JVC autocal?
post #5426 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, you sound like my 9th grade algebra teacher LOL, I appreciate your guide and help, im really psyched i got it connected to my network, at least i know the hardware is in working order, and now the final step, now where are those curve files ;0)
Quote:
My severe Dyslexia renders reading instructions almost totally useless
I know it might be difficult and I certainly hate when I ask a question and someone replies "that's already been answered" but I was very careful when I wrote that guide. If you follow each step, you will be given exactly what you need precisely when you need it. Instead of reading the whole guide just do one step at a time in real-time. That is how I wrote the guide anyhow. For the questions you've been asking, I could pretty much copy and paste each step from the guide when you ask the question. If you do each step as you read it, you'll feel like your being told what to do instead of being asked to comprehend a series of complex instructions. Don't think, just read and do. Trust the guide.

"How do I network the projector": Step 1
"Where is BT2020": Step 2
"Where are the curves": Step 3

Starting to get it now? We are here to answer your questions, but the steps are clearly laid out.
CoryW likes this.
post #5427 of 5774 Old 01-05-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
My severe Dyslexia renders reading instructions almost totally useless, following spoken instruction is quite easy, following on forums is very difficult for me and members trying to help, im amazed i got it to connect without a visual guide :0/
Actually, how did you manage to connect? What changed?

Doe the connection work for both Arves Tool and JVC autocal?
I opened the pj network menu, switched the
DHCP to on, hit set, went to the JVC software on the laptop and added the pj ip address, and it connected, i may have hit the OK on that page too :0)
I got stuck once I connected to the network

I never downloaded the curves, just the tool program. When I attempted to add a curve there were none
I somehow downloaded the BT2020 Which i may not need, since i “think” i have it in my picture menu’s already.......
Dreamliner sent me the steps again in another post im gonna try that.

post #5428 of 5774 Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

when i try to import the file, the only files i see are the javs ones, which i dont want, i can see the jvc files if i search for them, but they dont seem to be where they are suppose to be when i hit the import button....

are they to remain zipped ? i accidently hit a javs curve and it seemed to unzip and load it, i exitted out before it was uploaded to the pj

post #5429 of 5774 Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
when i try to import the file, the only files i see are the javs ones, which i dont want, i can see the jvc files if i search for them, but they dont seem to be where they are suppose to be when i hit the import button....

are they to remain zipped ? i accidently hit a javs curve and it seemed to unzip and load it, i exitted out before it was uploaded to the pj
All curves need to be unzipped before they can be loaded.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-06-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #5430 of 5774 Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi guys. Can I hear some of your throw distances and screen sizes and if you are 1.75-2x zoom, are you plenty happy with the brightness you are achieving?

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page