Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3511Likes

post #5551 of 5652 Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
^^^
Truly thx for your tips and efforts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5652 Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked: 4851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Calibrated Gamma D is basically a super shiny turd... Once you see what a 4K disc looks like on a UB820 in SDR2020 with Gamma 2.4 & BT2020 Color Profile, you'll be blown away and will never ever return to Gamma D. You will seriously think you bought a new projector.
Thanks for the advice, friend, but I don't think you read my post completely

I don't use Gamma D, it's just a fly that I have to swat away constantly when I watch HDR content. I don't need to load custom curves, my PJ has a custom calibrated EOTF set by Gregg Loewen. Occasionally I look at Gamma D just to laugh at how dark and murky it looks then I swap to the custom Gamma and marvel at how much better it looks!

To be clear, my ONLY real issues with HDR are (1) the annoyance of having to grab the remote and push the "Gamma" button every time it falls back to Gamma D and (2) the fan noise in high lamp mode.

So while a UB820 may still be a good choice, it's not because of Gamma D. The only problem with Gamma D is that it keeps rearing its head and I have to switch it back to my custom calibrated HDR Gamma. Both the HDFury (by stripping the HDR flag) and the UB820 (by outputting SDR.2020) would allow me to avoid Gamma D completely, since the PJ would never see an HDR flag.

Quote:
With the UB820 & SDR2020 your projector is already using the full range and isn't leaving any brightness or color "on the table." For example, "100% white" is the exact same thing whether you are in HDR or SDR, HD or 4K.
Hmm, I'm not following this part. Maybe I'm not understanding...

Let's say I have it calibrated so my SDR picture mode maxes out at 14ftL (low lamp mode, iris stopped down), but my HDR picture mode gets over 20ftL (high lamp, iris wide open). If I have the UB820 tone map the HDR to SDR output, and then watch with my SDR picture settings (but switching REC709 color profile for BT.2020) wouldn't I max out at 14ftL vs. the 20+ that I was getting with my HDR mode? So aren't I "leaving brightness on the table" so to speak?

Basically, for the purposes of this discussion I have two calibrated picture modes (there's also a third "bright room TV" mode Gregg set up but not relevant to this):
- An SDR mode with REC709 color gamut and 2.4 Gamma
- An HDR mode with BT.2020 color gamut and an HDR EOTF custom Gamma

Am I correct in understanding that if I had a UB820 outputting SDR.2020 that I'd basically want to set up a 3rd custom picture mode which sort of mixes the two, combining the calibrated SDR Gamma (2.4) with the BT.2020 color profile?

Quote:
Basically, the UB820 will make your 4K Blu-ray discs behave exactly like HD Blu-ray discs, just with more color and resolution. You will be very happy, I promise.
Interesting.... I've heard nothing but praise for the UB820!

Quote:
I've heard some people having trouble with HDR content on the ATV as it would resend some signal to the projector frequently retripping the Gamma D switch and this would happen several times during regular playback. The only work around I've heard for this is the HD Fury products. If you are just watching HD you probably haven't noticed this and if you watch HDR on the ATV, you must be one of the lucky ones.
I have my ATV4K set to output 4K/60p SDR at all times. Then I never have to deal with black-out HDMI resyncs or Gamma D at all. Frankly the ATV4K has really fabulous PQ with everything I've used it for (loads better than my older 1080p Roku) and the only thing I'm missing out on from what I can tell is the wider color gamut on streamed HDR titles. Unfortunately as far as I can tell there's no way to stream from Vudu or Netflix with SDR.2020, I'm assuming it requests the SDR stream with 8-bit REC709 color rather than the HDR stream with BT.2020 from the source.

Anyway, appreciate the awesome feedback from everyone! This is a great discussion and I'm learning a lot. Unfortunately I'm still wavering between the two options!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5553 of 5652 Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I don't use Gamma D, it's just a fly that I have to swat away constantly when I watch HDR content. I don't need to load custom curves, my PJ has a custom calibrated EOTF set by Gregg Loewen. Occasionally I look at Gamma D just to laugh at how dark and murky it looks
You can get a better picture with Gamma D by optimizing the gamma controls:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post56987686

Quote:
Let's say I have it calibrated so my SDR picture mode maxes out at 14ftL (low lamp mode, iris stopped down), but my HDR picture mode gets over 20ftL (high lamp, iris wide open). If I have the UB820 tone map the HDR to SDR output, and then watch with my SDR picture settings (but switching REC709 color profile for BT.2020) wouldn't I max out at 14ftL vs. the 20+ that I was getting with my HDR mode? So aren't I "leaving brightness on the table" so to speak?

Basically, for the purposes of this discussion I have two calibrated picture modes (there's also a third "bright room TV" mode Gregg set up but not relevant to this):

Am I correct in understanding that if I had a UB820 outputting SDR.2020 that I'd basically want to set up a 3rd custom picture mode which sort of mixes the two, combining the calibrated SDR Gamma (2.4) with the BT.2020 color profile?
There are players that output SDR2020 the way you describe, but in the case of the UB820, “SDR2020” is a misnomer. It is still HDR, but with the ST.2084 EOTF and the tone mapping already done in the player. Thus you would keep all the HDR settings (lamp power, iris, colour profile) in the projector the same as what you have, but replace the custom curve with gamma 2.2 (some prefer 2.4).

Some users claim that the UB820 tone mapping is so good that they don’t need to use High Lamp, but that’s a different story.
DLCPhoto likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-24-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5554 of 5652 Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, friend, but I don't think you read my post completely

I don't use Gamma D, it's just a fly that I have to swat away constantly when I watch HDR content. I don't need to load custom curves, my PJ has a custom calibrated EOTF set by Gregg Loewen. Occasionally I look at Gamma D just to laugh at how dark and murky it looks then I swap to the custom Gamma and marvel at how much better it looks!

To be clear, my ONLY real issues with HDR are (1) the annoyance of having to grab the remote and push the "Gamma" button every time it falls back to Gamma D and (2) the fan noise in high lamp mode.

So while a UB820 may still be a good choice, it's not because of Gamma D. The only problem with Gamma D is that it keeps rearing its head and I have to switch it back to my custom calibrated HDR Gamma. Both the HDFury (by stripping the HDR flag) and the UB820 (by outputting SDR.2020) would allow me to avoid Gamma D completely, since the PJ would never see an HDR flag.
Okay yeah, I missed you already had a custom gamma curve. Well that is great. If you are completely pleased with the way HDR looks on your projector you might be able to get away with just buying a HD Fury device. Personally, even with a custom curve I would occasionally encounter a "dark disc" that was unpleasantly dark and not equivalent to the much brighter HD disc. (Star Trek Beyond (dark) vs the other Treks or Dawn/Apes (dark) vs Rise/Apes for example).

I might suggest picking up a UB820 locally just to try and see for yourself if it makes a difference (it will).

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not following this part. Maybe I'm not understanding...

Yes of course Low Lamp clamped Iris will be dimmer than High Lamp Iris open. What I was trying to convey is that the projector doesn't have "another gear" where HDR content comes through brighter or something. There is a bit of a misnomer where people think with the same settings that the HDR stuff is brighter, it actually is usually the opposite. Any brightness increases are due to increasing brightness settings (iris, lamp mode, etc) in the projector. Some people get stuck on the content having to be "HDR" or the are somehow missing something, which isn't true. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending the a "full range" signal to the projector.

Quote:
In your case yes, I'd probably run a blended version, basically your HDR user mode but the only difference would be swapping out Custom Gamma for Gamma 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
in the case of the UB820, “SDR2020” is a misnomer. It is still HDR, but with the ST.2084 EOTF and the tone mapping already done in the player. Thus you would keep all the HDR settings (lamp power, iris, colour profile) in the projector the same as what you have, but replace the custom curve with gamma 2.2 (some prefer 2.4).
Yes, this. Excellent.

Quote:
Some users claim that the UB820 tone mapping is so good that they don’t need to use High Lamp, but that’s a different story.
High Lamp always looks better (of course). I just get tired of the fan noise and perceived increased lamp degradation.
post #5555 of 5652 Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Recently viewed a video on the new 4K JVC’s and there new high and low level colour profiles implemented through a new firmware, is there any way of downloading those profiles to my rs400 or would there be any improvement in uploading them?

post #5556 of 5652 Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have loved my RS400 ever since I purchased it years ago! I held out as long as possible with my oppo, but made the plunge and got a Panasonic 820 for the hdr features. I would like some recommendations regarding settings on this setup. Tried searching the forums but that feature never works well for me on these forums.

I am going to use the sdr/2020 output, but am unsure how the hdr enhancement feature plays into this with sdr/2020 on.

I have also seen people reference setting the gamma to 2.4, but I have trouble finding the exact spot on the jvc to change this in the gamma menus.

Thanks!
Bahn Yuki and nucky like this.
post #5557 of 5652 Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmula View Post
I have also seen people reference setting the gamma to 2.4, but I have trouble finding the exact spot on the jvc to change this in the gamma menus.
You cannot directly select gamma 2.4. Choose a custom gamma and select 2.4 as the Correction Value.
mtbdudex and johnnyboy632 like this.
post #5558 of 5652 Old 04-05-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Panasonic UB820, JVC & SDR2020

The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with Gamma D or any external devices like an HD Fury. The UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not switch to Gamma D. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle.

The UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

I also made a JVC 4K QuickStart Guide that has some tips you might find useful.

Panasonic UB820 Optimal Settings for JVC RSxxx Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (preference)

On the UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the JVC Projector:
Menu>Picture Adjust>Color Profile>BT.2020
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Gamma>Custom 1 or 2 or 3
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4

Regarding other settings like Iris and Lamp Mode, that is your preference. I chose Iris 0 and usually Low Lamp but High Lamp looks nicer. I set my user modes up for quick switching (press the User Mode before adjusting settings): User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. More about that in my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.
JonFo, guptown, Frank D and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 04-19-2019 at 11:42 PM.
post #5559 of 5652 Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wish I would have bought the 820 sooner! Amazing. Thanks for the help!
post #5560 of 5652 Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Regarding HDR Optimizer, that is your preference, I left it off. Same with the other settings, I've left them at defaults (so far).
So the HDR Optimizer can be separately enabled even when outputting SDR from the UB820? So I assume with it off the HDR>SDR conversion is a static EOTF, whereas with Optmizer enabled the EOTF become more dynamic based on the HDR metadata on the disc?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5561 of 5652 Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

Quote:
Panasonic UB820, JVC & SDR2020

The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with Gamma D or any external devices like an HD Fury. The UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see an "HDR" signal so it will not switch to Gamma D. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a "full range" signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle.

The UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

I also made a JVC 4K QuickStart Guide that has some tips you might find useful.

Panasonic UB820 Optimal Settings for JVC RSxxx Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB820:

Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020

Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector

On the UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:

Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>Adjust to preference, likely around +5 to +8 or so.

Regarding HDR Optimizer, that is your preference, I left it off. Same with the other settings, I've left them at defaults (so far).

On the JVC Projector:

Menu>Picture Adjust>Color Profile>BT.2020

Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Gamma>Custom 1 or 2 or 3

Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4

Regarding other settings like Iris and Lamp Mode, that is your preference. I chose Iris 0 and usually Low Lamp but High Lamp looks nicer. I set my user modes up for quick switching (press the User Mode before adjusting settings): User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. More about that in my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide.

Ok.... I might bite the 820 kool-aid... does it have popular apps like Netflix and amazon prime? If so then we’d just use the Xbox 1x for gaming

Bahn Yuki and cemo62 like this.
post #5562 of 5652 Old 04-06-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the HDR Optimizer can be separately enabled even when outputting SDR from the UB820?
Yes, on 4K discs at least.
Quote:
So I assume with it off the HDR>SDR conversion is a static EOTF, whereas with Optmizer enabled the EOTF become more dynamic based on the HDR metadata on the disc?
Not certain. It does restore some high brightness detail and doesn’t significantly diminish low brightness detail so I decided to turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Ok.... I might bite the 820 kool-aid... does it have popular apps like Netflix and amazon prime? If so then we’d just use the Xbox 1x for gaming
Yes, it has both. I am very careful to avoid hyperbole, the UB820 is the real deal.
mtbdudex likes this.
post #5563 of 5652 Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Unfortunately from what I've seen the streaming options are fairly limited. For example, it doesn't support Vudu at all (let alone 4K HDR + Atmos), doesn't support 4K with Amazon Prime (only Netflix + YouTube), and no Atmos from Netflix or any other streaming app. So I wouldn't look to this player as a go-to streaming app solution... but that's OK, I mean the Oppo 203/205 just abandoned streaming completely. Also note that it doesn't support HD audio bitstream (including Atmos) for non-disc media (e.g files on a USB drive), so don't look to it to play MKV rips with 4K. If

Its real strength is shiny disc playback, and in that respect it's arguably the best in the world (along with the UB9000 big brother). But someone with a local media server isn't going to replace their NVidia Shield with the Panny, and I wouldn't look to it to replace my Apple TV 4K for streaming apps.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5564 of 5652 Old 04-07-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Meh, so the 203 was the one stop solution for us RS400/500/600 series owners since it has hdmi input and can act as video processor ... on all signals
Too bad MS does not add tone mapping to Xbox 1x....

post #5565 of 5652 Old 04-07-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately from what I've seen the streaming options are fairly limited. For example, it doesn't support Vudu at all (let alone 4K HDR + Atmos), doesn't support 4K with Amazon Prime (only Netflix + YouTube), and no Atmos from Netflix or any other streaming app.
It does do Atmos from Netflix, although some people can’t get it, for some strange reason.
post #5566 of 5652 Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
It does do Atmos from Netflix, although some people can’t get it, for some strange reason.
Respectfully, I doubt that is true. It's more likely to me that some people don't understand what's their receiver is doing.

Netflix doesn't have it on their supported device list and it would be a major departure. Currently the ONLY devices that can stream Atmos from Netflix outside of SmartTV apps are the Xbox One and Apple TV 4K. That's it. Literally ZERO blu-ray players support this feature.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Last edited by batpig; 04-07-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #5567 of 5652 Old 04-07-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Respectfully, I doubt that is true. It's more likely to me that some people don't understand what's their receiver is doing.
Maybe, but how do you explain this then?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57423600

That post was by @claw , but I’m getting the same on my Denon X3300W.
post #5568 of 5652 Old 04-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but how do you explain this then?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57423600

That post was by @claw , but I’m getting the same on my Denon X3300W.
That's... weird. Looks like only a few people are getting this? Has anyone actually gone and put their ears up to the various speakers to see if they're actually getting Atmos audio (not just 5.1) and confirmed there's not just a weird issue with a metadata flag triggering Atmos on the AVR?

If it's actually Atmos, that's a pretty fortunate glitch for the lucky ones!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5569 of 5652 Old 04-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Unfortunately from what I've seen the streaming options are fairly limited. For example, it doesn't support Vudu at all (let alone 4K HDR + Atmos), doesn't support 4K with Amazon Prime (only Netflix + YouTube), and no Atmos from Netflix or any other streaming app. So I wouldn't look to this player as a go-to streaming app solution... but that's OK, I mean the Oppo 203/205 just abandoned streaming completely. Also note that it doesn't support HD audio bitstream (including Atmos) for non-disc media (e.g files on a USB drive), so don't look to it to play MKV rips with 4K. If

Its real strength is shiny disc playback, and in that respect it's arguably the best in the world (along with the UB9000 big brother). But someone with a local media server isn't going to replace their NVidia Shield with the Panny, and I wouldn't look to it to replace my Apple TV 4K for streaming apps.
Also netflix is only 60hz with the panasonic. Just ordered Apple TV 4K because of this.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #5570 of 5652 Old 04-19-2019, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can eshift be turned off when watching HDR discs as mine is set to on but is greyed out in the menu. I would like to turn it off and see what the image looks like.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #5571 of 5652 Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Can eshift be turned off when watching HDR discs as mine is set to on but is greyed out in the menu. I would like to turn it off and see what the image looks like.

I believe it is set that way as default for all 4k content and can’t be change. You could set your player to 1080p output and you can then disable eshift

grassy likes this.
post #5572 of 5652 Old 04-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy632 View Post
I believe it is set that way as default for all 4k content and can’t be change. You could set your player to 1080p output and you can then disable eshift
Yes, eShift is forced on when receiving a native 4K source, that's the only way it can process/display a 4K image.

If you set the player to output 1080p it likely will also downgrade the SDR to HDR (with varying degrees of success as discussed in many posts).
grassy and johnnyboy632 like this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5573 of 5652 Old 04-19-2019, 04:03 PM

Ok thanks guys.I guess turning it off mainly applies to SDR 1080p content.The image quality on these projectors are just fantastic I am really happy with mine. Never any trouble.For the money they are unbeatable.Cheers for the help johnnyboy632 and batpig.
johnnyboy632 likes this.

post #5574 of 5652 Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

Quote:
Ok thanks guys.I guess turning it off mainly applies to SDR 1080p content.The image quality on these projectors are just fantastic I am really happy with mine. Never any trouble.For the money they are unbeatable.Cheers for the help johnnyboy632 and batpig.

No worries, I’m sure you will have better results with 4k content having the eshift on rather than off anyway. I have also an x5000 and love it

grassy likes this.
post #5575 of 5652 Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 AM

Does anyone here use their projector with a 240:1 scope screen. I was watching Aquaman last night and noticed the aspect ratio kept changing in the movie from 240:1 to the imax 185:1. The image totally overshot my screen. I was a little disappointed and was asking myself why do the film makers do this. Loved the colours though but my white balance was way off and totally crushed in some scenes.

post #5576 of 5652 Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone here use their projector with a 240:1 scope screen. I was watching Aquaman last night and noticed the aspect ratio kept changing in the movie from 240:1 to the imax 185:1. The image totally overshot my screen. I was a little disappointed and was asking myself why do the film makers do this. Loved the colours though but my white balance was way off and totally crushed in some scenes.
I do, 136" 2.35:1. All movies with Variable Aspect Ratio (VAR) are shot 2:40:1 safe so I use masking settings to crop the full screen image down to my screen. Heresy I know, but I'd rather crop it out than see over-spill or watch the whole thing in 1.78:1/1.85:1 mode...I do this for all the Nolan movies too.

Ideally I'd have an enormous 1.78:1 screen with electronic masking panels, but cropping is the next best compromise.
grassy and johnnyboy632 like this.
post #5577 of 5652 Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I do, 136" 2.35:1. All movies with Variable Aspect Ratio (VAR) are shot 2:40:1 safe so I use masking settings to crop the full screen image down to my screen. Heresy I know, but I'd rather crop it out than see over-spill or watch the whole thing in 1.78:1/1.85:1 mode...I do this for all the Nolan movies too.

Ideally I'd have an enormous 1.78:1 screen with electronic masking panels, but cropping is the next best compromise.
I am going to look into the masking a little more and do the same. I have never ventured into masking before but will now. I am glad you answered now. Thanks for your opinion, much valued.

post #5578 of 5652 Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM

Can the digital masking settings be saved for quick recall as part of lens memory? I couldn't figure out if this was possible.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5579 of 5652 Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can the digital masking settings be saved for quick recall as part of lens memory? I couldn't figure out if this was possible.
They can, but only on the new native 4K models.
batpig and grassy like this.
post #5580 of 5652 Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 PM

Ah.. So as far as I'm concerned, they can't

I bet there's a discrete IR code for the masking, maybe I can dig around for that and see if I can add it to my Harmony profile.

I use the digital masking for a "hybrid" mode for these IMAX variable aspect ratio titles. My screen is sort of an odd size (about 2.1:1) so I can take advantage of the extra vertical real estate for the IMAX scenes. But it's a PITA to turn the mask off when I don't want it.
grassy likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page