Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3510Likes

post #5581 of 5637 Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ah.. So as far as I'm concerned, they can't

I bet there's a discrete IR code for the masking, maybe I can dig around for that and see if I can add it to my Harmony profile.

I use the digital masking for a "hybrid" mode for these IMAX variable aspect ratio titles. My screen is sort of an odd size (about 2.1:1) so I can take advantage of the extra vertical real estate for the IMAX scenes. But it's a PITA to turn the mask off when I don't want it.
Years ago I had a Panasonic projector and it had pixel perfect lens memory (thanks to electronic, not mechanical lens shift) also saved masking settings. It was much better than the JVC method. With the Panasonic I even used masking to crop down 2.40:1 to my 2.35:1 screen. With the hassle of the JVC masking, I just let it spill the few inches onto my frame and ignore it.

If you ever figure out a IR trigger for the masking let us know. There are not too many VAR movies so I don't have to enable it much but it would be nice if it was just a button press.
grassy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5637 Old 04-22-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It is incredible how this JVC entry model looks so good. I still cannot believe the level of detail and considering mine is not even calibrated. I do have the 5500 but basically the same projector as the 5000 picture wise. i was watching Fantastic Beasts(the crimes of Grindelwald) and the picture was stunning and so clean cut on my projector that even the wife commented on how good it was. I thought it was an outstanding HD image.My JVC has done around 540 hours so far and is looking the best i have ever seen it.
Bahn Yuki likes this.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #5583 of 5637 Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
When I was using almost zero lens shift in my previous room, my JVC x35 lens memory was working nearly pixel perfect every time.
I might need to adjust it once or twice a month, if that.

It no longer does when using a lot of horizontal lens shift, and now I have to manually adjust often, so may just be dependent upon individual setup parameters.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5584 of 5637 Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Can the digital masking settings be saved for quick recall as part of lens memory? I couldn't figure out if this was possible.
There are 3 Custom Masking settings, but they are Global. I.e., not tied to any specific Lens memory. They have to be called up separately. Their independence can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. It is certainly more flexible this way.

Quote:
I bet there's a discrete IR code for the masking, maybe I can dig around for that and see if I can add it to my Harmony profile.
According to an old (2015) CommSpec manual I have here for the JVC series, the "ISMA" command supposedly will let you select one of the 3 Custom memories, or shut it off. The parameter format is 1-byte ASCII... perhaps "0","1","2","3" might do the trick. [ISMA is one of the Adjustment Commands, where the IS stands for Input Signal, M for MaskSwitch, and A for Assign. ISML/R/T/B can also be used to tweak the edges of the currently-selected custom memory slot, but would be a PITA to set up a remote control to use (needs a 4-character absolute numeric setting). So best to adjust the masks on the projector, then pick them from your remote.]

Quote:
I use the digital masking for a "hybrid" mode for these IMAX variable aspect ratio titles. My screen is sort of an odd size (about 2.1:1) so I can take advantage of the extra vertical real estate for the IMAX scenes. But it's a PITA to turn the mask off when I don't want it.
That's a clever idea.
bubbrik likes this.
post #5585 of 5637 Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have mentioned this before but I want to mention it again. This is an initial thing to try if you watch 4k movies and they appear dark.

Before trying anything else do the very simple following:

1. Start to play the movie ie not sitting on the movie menu.
2. Press pause and take a good look at the image.
3. Turn off the projector.
4. Once the red light stops flashing turn on the projector again.

Once the image re appears compare it mentally to the image before you shutdown the projector.

I had the dark image problem and spent ages trying to get around it with various AVR/4kBR/projector settings. By simply rebooting the projector the image brightens up significantly.

This is not a long term solution but it gets the image to a watchable level. Prior to doing this my 4k image was WAY too dark. To be honest it is annoying doing this so I will look at buying a new Panasonic 4k player.
post #5586 of 5637 Old 05-01-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyone2k View Post
I have mentioned this before but I want to mention it again. This is an initial thing to try if you watch 4k movies and they appear dark.

Before trying anything else do the very simple following:

1. Start to play the movie ie not sitting on the movie menu.
2. Press pause and take a good look at the image.
3. Turn off the projector.
4. Once the red light stops flashing turn on the projector again.

Once the image re appears compare it mentally to the image before you shutdown the projector.

I had the dark image problem and spent ages trying to get around it with various AVR/4kBR/projector settings. By simply rebooting the projector the image brightens up significantly.

This is not a long term solution but it gets the image to a watchable level. Prior to doing this my 4k image was WAY too dark. To be honest it is annoying doing this so I will look at buying a new Panasonic 4k player.
In order to track down the issue, you should check the Picture Mode to see what are the settings for Gamma, Colour Profile, and Iris settings, while the image is dim vs while it is bright.
post #5587 of 5637 Old 05-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

Recently I got a replacement bulb for my JVC, not being satisfied with the result I sent it back and bought a complete replacement block from an oficial distributor.

To my great surprise the power of the new block was the same as that of the lamp alone.
Here are the numbers: (calibrated D65)

Original lamp at 16H = 1031 lumens,
Original lamp at 2000H = 671 lumens,
Replacement lamp = 778 lumens. (same result for both models)

The headlamp has therefore lost 35% of its initial brightness and a new lamp does not allow it to gain more than 10.5% going up from 65% to 75.5%

What the hell is going on?

I noticed that the first lens was offset and therefore no longer aligned vertically with the path of light (see photo)

So there are two hypotheses for this loss of performance, either the fouling of the optical block or the vertical shift of the first lens. Or both?

What do you think?

If someone could provide me with the maintenance manual for the X5000, I would be willing to try to clean and realign this lens if it’s not too complex.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X5000_bulb_in.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	2562612  

Vidéo: Écran fixe Da-Lite HC-HP ( base3 m,gris, g 2.4), JVC X5000 , Radiance 4442, Pana BD820, VU SOLO 4K/VTI V11, HDFURY Integral, Denon X3300W
HiFi: Tri_amp active, enceintes DIY Phoenix de S. Linkwitz, Tact RCS et 3*S2150, VU+ Duo/VTI V11/Quad FM4
post #5588 of 5637 Old 05-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there any way to get sdr2020 through my PC instead of having to get the ub890? Seems silly to me to have to buy and install all this equipment that my PC should be able to do?
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #5589 of 5637 Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
well there was another thread where we were discussing the future of DLP projectors and there were people talking about gaming on projectors and I figured I'd test the lag on my RS400. Unfortunately the results were quite awful, so here they are in 1080p.

Without any processing I was getting 122ms. Over 7.5 frames of lag!

Turning on E-shift and Motion Enhance+Blur reduction pushes it up to 142ms.

Anyhow my rS400 is at 443 and looking great for movies.

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2

Last edited by Bahn Yuki; 05-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #5590 of 5637 Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
They addressed that in the newer JVC versions, they added a gaming mode starting with the RS-420 series.

New Low Latency Mode reduces gaming/PC frame delays—NEW for 2017

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #5591 of 5637 Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #5592 of 5637 Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
A good calibration will ensure whatever display you have will have the most accurate and 'correct' image possible. The RSx00 projectors (RS400/RS500/RS600) look amazing right out of the box for HD and 3D but they were released before any 4K content was available. They have a very broken and flawed HDR system which means that out of the box, most 4K HDR movies will look broken and nothing like the beautiful image you see now in HD. JVC has put out a recommended HDR settings guide that involves using Gamma D but even that is drastically flawed. With these default settings, you will never be happy with the way 4K HDR looks, this is not hyperbole.

Thankfully, members on this forum discovered how to make custom gamma curves which really turned things around for most people and made the RSx00 projectors actually usable for 4K HDR content. JVC also released a calibration software program that allow you to calibrate your baseline gamma and color with an inexpensive color calibrator called a Spyder 5. Interestingly, only a year after the RSx00 projectors were released, JVC released the RSx20 projectors which had a built in 'custom curve' by default and did away with Gamma D altogether, pretty much admitting their error.

There is a TON of information on this forum regarding these things. A lot of this information is scattered quite a bit and will take you weeks and weeks to decipher and will likely leave you very confused. I have done my best to condense all this info into a handful of posts that will get you very quickly pointed in the right direction. You can choose to hire a calibrator before during or after any of these steps but whoever you hire, you MUST ensure they will create a custom gamma curve for you and fully understand the RSx00 pitfalls otherwise their services are not worth a single penny. Chad B gets talked about a lot on here. I have not used him but many RSx00 owners are happy. I am serious, if you hire someone local and you see them poking around in Gamma D, send them packing. You must make certain they fully understand these RSx00 projectors and custom gamma before they come out as it will not be an 'average' calibration.

Okay, all that out of the way, here are the DIY steps you need to take to get 4K HDR rocking on your new RS400 projector (honestly, you can just do 1 & 3 to get started):

1) Replace ALL of your HDMI cables right now, thankfully, the short ones are cheap. Many cables, including ones that say '4K compatible,' simply cannot handle the bandwidth of actual 4K HDR content. If play around with HDMI cable choice, you will lose. I have very specific recommendations that will give you no problems. More info here.

2) To fully understand how badly JVC screwed up HDR, feel free to follow their Gamma D instructions. (you can skip this step if you'd like)

3) If you ever want to watch a 4K HDR movie and be happy about it, you WILL need to at the very least load a premade custom gamma curve. Click here for more info.

4) You can also make your very own custom curve, more info on that here and here.

5) If you eventually decide you want to try the Auto Calibration with the JVC software, click here for more info.

There you go, that will get you all set for 4K HDR, everything I've said so far has pretty much unanimous agreement on the forum for squeaking out the best image on your own without paying thousands on gear. Of course, a calibrator who fully understands the RSx00 projectors can also do all of this for you.

FULL DISCLAIMER, many on this forum vehemently disagree with my next statement about 4K HDR but I (and many others) have found it to be correct after over a year of work:
Spoiler!

Good luck!
Well, I'm not even there yet; can't get 4k working.

Got a Sony x800 4k player (which is an interim solution), connecting to a Yamaha TSR-7850 with a premium high speed HDMI cable, as well as the JVC. Insert a 4k Oblivion disc but the Sony screen popped up said that "This player is not connected to a 4K Ultra HD TV". However, on the Sony display option, it did say it's a Ultra HD BR with HEVC; HDR->SDR. What went wrong? What other setting do I need to change?

I've the latest software updated on the Sony, and the latest firmware on the Yamaha. The JVC has a PS version of 100310 and the software version is u83.2. Input source says 1080p60. The input signal is HDMI2 EDID B (A would not work).

Thanks.
post #5593 of 5637 Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Well, I'm not even there yet; can't get 4k working.

Got a Sony x800 4k player (which is an interim solution), connecting to a Yamaha TSR-7850 with a premium high speed HDMI cable, as well as the JVC. Insert a 4k Oblivion disc but the Sony screen popped up said that "This player is not connected to a 4K Ultra HD TV". However, on the Sony display option, it did say it's a Ultra HD BR with HEVC; HDR->SDR. What went wrong? What other setting do I need to change?

I've the latest software updated on the Sony, and the latest firmware on the Yamaha. The JVC has a PS version of 100310 and the software version is u83.2. Input source says 1080p60. The input signal is HDMI2 EDID B (A would not work).

Thanks.
Try connecting your X800 to the projector directly. Verify X800 output settings are on Auto or 4K. Check the JVC info screen when connected directly and report back.
post #5594 of 5637 Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
"This player is not connected to a 4K Ultra HD TV".

I’ve had similar issues when my receiver was not 4K compatible and connecting directly to the projector as @Dreamliner suggested did the trick until I upgraded. Since yours is a 4K receiver, try also checking the 4K mode in the advanced menu of the receiver - toggling between mode 1 and mode 2.
post #5595 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
I’ve had similar issues when my receiver was not 4K compatible and connecting directly to the projector as @Dreamliner suggested did the trick until I upgraded. Since yours is a 4K receiver, try also checking the 4K mode in the advanced menu of the receiver - toggling between mode 1 and mode 2.
Thanks. In the Yamaha, there is an HDMI setting which I changed from Direct to Processing, and Aspect set to Through. Forgot to mention that I had a 1080p Darbee which I just removed for it to work. I also change my HDMI-2 on the JVC from B to A.

So, no need to pull the Sony x800 off from the Yamaha. Now I just need to unload another piece of vintage equipment, the Darbee DVP 5000s.

Life is rather complicated in the 4k world. HDR looks like another rabbit hole.
post #5596 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Life is rather complicated in the 4k world. HDR looks like another rabbit hole.
Follow my guide on that. I recommend going right to the JAVS V3 curves (Step 3) for regular 4K players and streamers. I also suggest replacing the X800 with a Panasonic UB820. With JVC projectors, the Panasonic UB820 is the absolute shortest path to great looking 4K discs and frustration-free enjoyment.
Gator99 and bubbrik like this.
post #5597 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Follow my guide on that. I recommend going right to the JAVS V3 curves (Step 3) for regular 4K players and streamers. I also suggest replacing the X800 with a Panasonic UB820. With JVC projectors, the Panasonic UB820 is the absolute shortest path to great looking 4K discs and frustration-free enjoyment.
As I had envisioned, it sure looks like another rabbit hole to me. Thanks for all the hard work, and many other contributors from various continents. What we do for our passion!
post #5598 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hi, need your help with good calibration for FHD tv shows, I tried to watch with the recommended cinema mode from avs review but it’s look very white picture without colors.
post #5599 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liel View Post
Hi, need your help with good calibration for FHD tv shows, I tried to watch with the recommended cinema mode from avs review but it’s look very white picture without colors.
Do you mean zombie's mini-shoot out thread posting below?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post39523666

Worked for me for starter.
post #5600 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Guys I've got a really strange issue with my x5000:

The left side of my image has a very slight blue tinge to it on white scenes. I noticed this last night throughout the movie 'Arctic', which is dominantly a white movie with lots of snow scenes.

The image isn't consistent in it's white temp all the way to the left side of the screen. There's some blue going on and I'm not sure what's causing it. The issue is really minor, but as an enthusiast, once you notice it, you can't un-see it - as most of you would understand.
I need to do some more testing to see if this isn't content related but I'm assuming it's not.
The lamp only has about 900hrs...

Thoughts?
post #5601 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I had envisioned, it sure looks like another rabbit hole to me. Thanks for all the hard work, and many other contributors from various continents. What we do for our passion!
Fortunately, my guide posts do not send you off into Neverland. The guides are complete and all the information you need is contained/linked within. I got very frustrated getting lost in threads with incomplete information only to have responses to questions be either "the answer has already been posted, go find it" or "that is outdated info, keep reading". I created the guides to remind myself how to do things and to give a newbie everything they need to know.

The only place my guides trail off is the JVC Calibration Software (which I have a disclaimer stating so at the top). It is still solid information but not 100% idiot-proof like the others. I've been too busy with work and enjoying 4K discs on the UB820 to bother going through the calibration software again. Once I do, I'll update it but that step isn't as necessary as some would have you believe. I also need to update my main guide to directly recommend the UB820 and link to the optimal configuration settings.

If someone was brand new to JVC & 4K I would tell them these six things:

1) Buy a UB820 if you are playing 4K discs.
2) Make sure you are using the correct HDMI cables. (Guide Step 1)
3) Make sure you have the BT2020 color profile. (Guide Step 3)
4) Install a premade gamma curve if you'll be playing 4K from a streamer. (Also Guide Step 3)
5) Configure your JVC & UB820. (Configuration Guide)
6) Walk away from this site and enjoy your movies.

The more people start reading, especially the older posts, the more they'll get confused. The JVC projectors have limitations and for discs, the UB820 eliminate them, that is why I push it so hard. Nobody has ever gotten stuck or confused when following my guides, that is why I push them also. There are many other contributors here who've helped make them possible, that is why my guide will link out when necessary instead of stealing their work and making a wholly self-contained post.

Just follow my steps and don't over think it. If you fall into the rabbit hole because you strayed away from my guides, when you come out and realize I was right all along, just remember I told you so.

post #5602 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgod2002 View Post
Guys I've got a really strange issue with my x5000:

The left side of my image has a very slight blue tinge to it on white scenes. I noticed this last night throughout the movie 'Arctic', which is dominantly a white movie with lots of snow scenes.

The image isn't consistent in it's white temp all the way to the left side of the screen. There's some blue going on and I'm not sure what's causing it. The issue is really minor, but as an enthusiast, once you notice it, you can't un-see it - as most of you would understand.
I need to do some more testing to see if this isn't content related but I'm assuming it's not.
The lamp only has about 900hrs...

Thoughts?
I will be interested to hear the responses but you probably won't like the answers, especially if you are out of warranty. I had a similar issue on a Panasonic projector and it was the LCD panel breaking down...

I'd pop in a Sony disc and quickly press 7669 on the title menu (it will bring up test images). See if it affects all colors or just some. I'd also probably get a JVC ticket going if you are still within warranty just to have the claim request dated, documented and started.
post #5603 of 5637 Old 05-19-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I will be interested to hear the responses but you probably won't like the answers, especially if you are out of warranty. I had a similar issue on a Panasonic projector and it was the LCD panel breaking down...
It can also be the lamp.
post #5604 of 5637 Old 05-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liel View Post
Do you mean zombie's mini-shoot out thread posting below?

Worked for me for starter.
Nupe, I mean AVS official review:
https://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-...r-review.12128
But I tried your calibration it’s still looks very white colors...
Maybe I should try to import rec709 color profile?and where can I find it?
post #5605 of 5637 Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

See zombie's post #12192 for something similar to rec.709 for starter.

post #5606 of 5637 Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
It can also be the lamp.
Someone else mentioned that I should check the panel alignment?
Not sure what that means exactly. Also I noticed a 'pixel adjustment' in the menu. Not sure what this does or if it has any bearing on my issue..
post #5607 of 5637 Old 05-21-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:

I'd pop in a Sony disc and quickly press 7669 on the title menu (it will bring up test images). See if it affects all colors or just some. I'd also probably get a JVC ticket going if you are still within warranty just to have the claim request dated, documented and started.
Yeah it would be out of warranty now. It's about 2 or 3 years old now. No issues with it whatsoever so far (apart from this slight annoyance). I've got it all dialed in and calibrated perfectly after learning a bunch through this thread. So just been enjoying it for the last 12 months or so. Until I noticed the blue tinge... Bit annoying but I'm not sure its annoying enough for me to have to pack it up and ship it away to be looked at... Frustrating though considering the cost of it and this happens...
post #5608 of 5637 Old 05-21-2019, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Someone else mentioned that I should check the panel alignment?
Not sure what that means exactly. Also I noticed a 'pixel adjustment' in the menu. Not sure what this does or if it has any bearing on my issue..
“Pixel adjustment” is the same as “panel alignment”. Set it to Off to see if it make any difference.
post #5609 of 5637 Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
“Pixel adjustment” is the same as “panel alignment”. Set it to Off to see if it make any difference.
Yeah it was already set to off. Haven't touched anything in that menu. I have no idea what any of it does.
post #5610 of 5637 Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah it was already set to off. Haven't touched anything in that menu. I have no idea what any of it does.
If it’s set it off then it wouldn’t be the culprit that caused the discoloration.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-21-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page