Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3511Likes

post #5611 of 5652 Old 05-23-2019, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I will be interested to hear the responses but you probably won't like the answers, especially if you are out of warranty. I had a similar issue on a Panasonic projector and it was the LCD panel breaking down...

I'd pop in a Sony disc and quickly press 7669 on the title menu (it will bring up test images). See if it affects all colors or just some. I'd also probably get a JVC ticket going if you are still within warranty just to have the claim request dated, documented and started.
I’m currently using an Oppo-203. Any upside to replacing it with a Panasonic?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5652 Old 05-23-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I’m currently using an Oppo-203. Any upside to replacing it with a Panasonic?
Absolutely. The Oppo is only worth keeping if you use the HDMI input, play SACD or something else only the Oppo does. You are also in the unique position to profit from the upgrade as the Oppo still goes for big money.

For 4K movie disc playback the UB820 is hands down better. Here is my JVC & UB820 Guide. (Clicky)
krichter1 and srinivas1015 like this.
post #5613 of 5652 Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked: 4846
Yeah, IMO if you're not utilizing the extra features of the Oppo but really just focused on shiny disc playback, it's a no-brainer to swap the 203 for the Panny UB820 which should net a healthy profit given the ridiculous used market prices on Oppos.

The Panny is simply better for 4K HDR playback especially if you want to convert to SDR.2020 to avoid Gamma D on the PJ. There are several detailed comparison videos on YouTube where Panny vs Oppo is compared, check out the videos from "HDTVTest" which are very technical and offer side by side comparison shots. The Panny UB900 was superior to the Oppo 203 when it was the new model, and it doesn't have the more advanced HDR Optimizer processing of the newer UB820 / UB9000.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 5652 Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I recently ordered a Panasonic DP-UB820-K Blu-ray player, based on advice posted in this thread. I'm looking for further advice! How should I hook this up? With a long HDMI cable directly to the projector? Or can I go through my Yamaha RX-V679 receiver?
post #5615 of 5652 Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobear View Post
I recently ordered a Panasonic DP-UB820-K Blu-ray player, based on advice posted in this thread. I'm looking for further advice! How should I hook this up? With a long HDMI cable directly to the projector? Or can I go through my Yamaha RX-V679 receiver?
Through the receiver is fine as yours supports HDCP 2.2. Be sure to use a quality cable (clicky). I only recommend this cable for runs under 30 feet.
post #5616 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The guy who calibrated my X5000 said that it wasn't possible to calibrate 4K HDR
Calibrated Full HD looks very good, uncalibrated 4K HDR can look exceptional but sometimes not so good
Was the guy wrong, and is there something I can do myself?
I have imported a gamma curve but this makes the picture brighter in a way I don't like
So I use gamma D even though I know people hate it: it makes the picture darker and the colours deeper

Bonus info: I have the Panasonic UB9000 with great tone mapping
post #5617 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
The guy who calibrated my X5000 said that it wasn't possible to calibrate 4K HDR
Calibrated Full HD looks very good, uncalibrated 4K HDR can look exceptional but sometimes not so good
I have imported a gamma curve but this makes the picture brighter in a way I don't like
So I use gamma D even though I know people hate it: it makes the picture darker and the colours deeper

Of course it's possible to calibrate for UHD/HDR content. There's still a defined color space (DCI-P3 within a Rec.2020 container) and there's an EOTF for translating the HDR dynamic range to the luminance/gamma of the display.

That said unlike SDR, the varied luminance targets (e.g. some HDR is mastered at 1000 nits vs. others at 4000 nits) and varied capabilities of displays means that it's hard to make a "one size fits all" calibration, which could be what he meant. In my case, my calibrator created a really good "one size fits all" that looks great for any HDR content I've thrown at it. Some calibrators will go further and create 2-3 different custom Gamma settings for HDR that you can use for HDR titles mastered at different luminance levels.

But if you have the UB9000, and a PJ calibrated for regular HD/SDR content, then what you should do is utilize the HDR Optimizer and SDR conversion capabilities of the Panny which takes care of the EOTF portion of things. No need to mess with Gamma D or custom curves, let the UB9000 handle all that, it's really really good at it.

Set the UB9000 to output SDR with Rec.2020 color. Use your calibrated SDR settings except switch the color space to Rec.2020 instead of Rec.709, and it should be as close to optimal as you're going to get.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5618 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Set the UB9000 to output SDR with Rec.2020 color. Use your calibrated SDR settings except switch the color space to Rec.2020 instead of Rec.709, and it should be as close to optimal as you're going to get.
SDR is typically calibrated for 50 nits peak white. To watch HDR tone mapped by UB9000 to SDR2020, I would keep the peak luminance at the HDR level.
post #5619 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
SDR is typically calibrated for 50 nits peak white. To watch HDR tone mapped by UB9000 to SDR2020, I would keep the peak luminance at the HDR level.
Good point, you may have your SDR settings to low lamp mode with a clamped-down iris, so you'd want to crank up the peak luminance for HDR content.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5620 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Gamma D is where you end up when your calibrator isn’t on this forum and doesn’t know the pitfalls of the RS400 projector. (Normally I’d be harsher but the RS400 projector is a special duckling.)

In fact, I state this right at the beginning of my JVC 4K QuickStart Guide:

Quote:
You can choose to hire a calibrator before during or after any of these steps but whoever you hire, you MUST ensure they will create a custom gamma curve for you and fully understand the RSx00 pitfalls otherwise their services are not worth a single penny. Chad B gets talked about a lot on here. I have not used him but many RSx00 owners are happy. I am serious, if you hire someone local and you see them poking around in Gamma D, send them packing. You must make certain they fully understand these RSx00 projectors and custom gamma before they come out as it will not be an 'average' calibration.
If you have a UB9000 you need to get on SDR2020 pronto as it will normalize your HDR content and stop the good disc/bad disc pattern you are seeing...something I identified in 2017. I wrote this guide for the UB820 but should be similar maybe even identical for the UB9000.

I’m very curious to hear some comparisons between the 350 nits curve with JAVS V3 in the UB9000 vs SDR2020 with Gamma 2.4 on the RS400. My suggestion is you follow the steps above to get rocking quickly with SDR2020. Then later load the JAVS V3 curve (step 3 in my Guide) and compare it to SDR2020. One thing at a time though to keep from getting confused.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #5621 of 5652 Old 06-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But if you have the UB9000, and a PJ calibrated for regular HD/SDR content, then what you should do is utilize the HDR Optimizer and SDR conversion capabilities of the Panny which takes care of the EOTF portion of things. No need to mess with Gamma D or custom curves, let the UB9000 handle all that, it's really really good at it.
What is EOTF?
post #5622 of 5652 Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
What is EOTF?
EOTF = electro-optical transfer function

It's the technical term for what people are talking about when they say things like "tone mapping" and "custom gamma". It's the function that transfers/maps the full luminance range of the HDR signal to the capabilities of the display.

So for example the HDR content may be mastered at 1000 nits peak brightness, but the projector can only do 150 nits peak brightness off the screen. Somehow you have to translate the full dynamic range of the HDR signal to the lesser range of the projector.

One option is to just squish it all in with a direct linear transfer, but that will result in a very dark image since squeezing in all the dynamic range of the highlights will necessarily compress all the mid/shadow detail too (this is why many people complain that HDR looks too dark, and probably similar to what Gamma D does).

Alternately a custom EOTF curve, whether programmed by a calibrator or done automatically in the player or display, will "shape" it more intelligently to preserve the dynamic range of the shadows and middle regions and then roll things off more steeply in the highlights. So the image doesn't look dark and gross but you still maintain some detail in the specular highlights regions. The "HDR brightness" slider control you'll see on many players and displays basically changes the shape of this transfer function, but it will be a compromise in one direction or the other. If you try to preserve more highlight detail, then by definition you'll have to squish the dark/mid areas of the image down so the overall image will look darker. If you want the overall image to be brighter, then the inherent trade-off will be losing some of the detail in the highlights.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5623 of 5652 Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobear View Post
I've a Costco Yamaha TSR-7850, same Panny 820 going into a JVC RS500, with a high speed certified HDMI cable. Make sure all the interconnects are also high speed; do not skimp on cables. I use Monoprice as Dreamliner recommended, who has been very helpful in the tone mapping and setup.

Shoot me a mail if you need assistance on the Yammy.
post #5624 of 5652 Old 06-08-2019, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have tried all your suggestions without much luck
Maybe it's just a movie with bad PQ?
Usually bright outdoor scenes look amazing in 4K HDR... but on The Meg UHD they do not look good
Darker scenes in the movie look a lot better
I just don't can't find a mention of this problem in reviews
post #5625 of 5652 Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have tried all your suggestions without much luck
Maybe it's just a movie with bad PQ?
Usually bright outdoor scenes look amazing in 4K HDR... but on The Meg UHD they do not look good
Darker scenes in the movie look a lot better
I just don't can't find a mention of this problem in reviews
Reviews rarely mention real problems (Disney Atmos for example). The RS400 has a real finicky "HDR" system. It is also possible the disc PQ is bad but usually when I hear people complaining about "certain titles", it's because they are not using SDR2020. It is exactly what I went though.

Did you try following my Panasonic/JVC Guide (clicky)? The settings should be almost identical on the UB9000.

You either need to follow my guides for a baseline or list out every single video setting on your UB9000 and RS400 so we can see what is wrong.
post #5626 of 5652 Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I'll try that tonight with The Meg and another UHD movie
post #5627 of 5652 Old 06-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Dreamliner, I followed your directions and it looks good
But by choosing SDR/2020 on the Pana UB9000 do I miss out on HDR?
People seem to think that HDR is more important than the higher resolution... and I would have to agree
My JVC X5000 is fake 4K, after all

Last edited by jake51; 06-09-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #5628 of 5652 Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:
Dreamliner, I followed your directions and it looks good
But by choosing SDR/2020 on the Pana UB9000 do I miss out on HDR?
People seem to think that HDR is more important than the higher resolution... and I would have to agree
My JVC X5000 is fake 4K, after all
The naming of SDR/2020 gets confusing, it's still HDR. Here's the background:

all projectors require some form of tone mapping with HDR content. it either occurs at the source (Panasonic UB820/9000) or at the projector itself with it's built in HDR curve or a custom uploaded curve. The goal is still the same and the Panasonic does an excellent job, especially when compared to JVC's first attempt (Gamma D) and even later version of it on the 420/440 models.

There are several advantages letting the Panasonic doe the tone mapping. It can select a specific curve based on meta data that is sometimes present on UHD titles. If a specific title doesn't have that data, it defaults to a standard curve that is still quite good. It also allows the projector to use the DI with HDR content with the SDR/BT2020 mode.

The next level of HDR tone mapping is with an HTPC + MadVR which allows for dynamic tone mapping. a process where the software is constantly adjusting for optimal visual appearance per scene. Ideally one day projectors will have this built in, but today it requires a powerful graphics card to handle this kind of constantly changing workload throughout the movie.

For those that want set it and forget it, the UB820/9000 tone mapping is a blessing that would have been welcome if it was released several years ago when the JVC's first released this series with HDR capability. Better late than never
CoryW and Jive Turkey like this.
post #5629 of 5652 Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for clearing that up
Watched another UHD movie… it looked very good, hard to see how it could look much better
Unless I win the lottery and get the JVC 4K laser PJ (can't recall model name right now)
post #5630 of 5652 Old 06-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Projector issue, when I try and power on the standby light goes solid, bulb lights up, DILA on screen, then shuts off and standby light blinks until powers off. Tried cleaning filter, removing and reinserting bulb and plug and unplug no change? Is this fixable or am I screwed?
post #5631 of 5652 Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
I would try a new bulb if you can get one from a place that allows returns. It sounds like the projector's ballast is sending an error code as the bulb starts to get into the final stages of warming up. There is a very sophisticated series of electrical phases that happens with projector bulbs as they are warming up and shutting down. Could be a lot of other things though as well, could be a bad FAN or a bad ballast. Eliminate a potential faulty bulb first.

If you can get into the projector menu before the projector shuts off (sounds like you cannot), but if you can, there are a couple other things you can try. The first is to quickly set the bulb to High lamp mode and see if that helps bypass the issue, also set the PJ to High Alt mode, and finally the last step is go into the service menu and check that all the FAN RPM's are ok and that there are no active error codes anywhere.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.
post #5632 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 AM

We had a bad storm recently, just noticed two other things not working so I think that did it. What would that have likely damaged?
post #5633 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 04:09 AM

You still need to try a new bulb first, storm or no storm...
That's almost always the first step.

post #5634 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 04:18 AM

Ok thanks, any suggestions where I can buy one that will accept returns if it doesnt fix?
post #5635 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Not really, Amazon or Ebay I guess, both accept returns if you have a valid reason and as long as the seller does not say "no returns".

post #5636 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Did you ask the seller about the lamp hours? Sometimes people change the bulb but forget to reset the counter.
If you want to buy a bare bulb, make sure it says Ushio NSHA250JK. So-called “compatible bulbs are generally to be avoided.
Do you have NSHA250JK ushio lamp for sale?
post #5637 of 5652 Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by h9151105 View Post
Do you have NSHA250JK ushio lamp for sale?
Please see the classified section.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/215-d...pk-l2615u.html
post #5638 of 5652 Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Does the 820 play Atmos on Netflix? I've read where it does, but mine does not as far as I can tell.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #5639 of 5652 Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Don't you need the most expensive Netflix to get Dolby Atmos?
I have regular Netflix and there is no Atmos
post #5640 of 5652 Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Does the 820 play Atmos on Netflix? I've read where it does, but mine does not as far as I can tell.
It is possible, but works with some AVR's and electronics, and not with others.

The UB-820 is not *officially* listed as supporting Atmos as a device, by Netflix, and yet many of us do in fact get it. I have a Marantz SR7010, and it gives me 4k/HDR and Atmos when available. A friend had a somewhat older Yamaha AVR and didn't get Atmos, but when he upgraded to a newer model, he did.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page