Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3517Likes

post #5671 of 5708 Old 07-29-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4654 Post(s)
Liked: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Yes, that's correct and I do that with my ATV4K. I have it set to output 4K SDR for all content which outputs streaming sources as 4K resolution with SDR + REC709 color space. The downside is I lose out on wide color gamut for content that supports it, but the ATV4K doesn't have an SDR.BT2020 option.
Depending on the shows I'm watching the most at any given time, I sometimes set the ATV4K to HDR mode and have everything played as HDR. The wide colour gamut is preserved in that case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5708 Old 07-29-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked: 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Depending on the shows I'm watching the most at any given time, I sometimes set the ATV4K to HDR mode and have everything played as HDR. The wide colour gamut is preserved in that case.
Yeah, but then I have to deal with Gamma D nonsense ... personally I hate having to deal with flipping settings all the time based on the content, so for me the convenience of just letting it output 4K SDR outweighs the minor gains I'd get from the WCG/HDR stuff.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #5673 of 5708 Old 07-29-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, but then I have to deal with Gamma D nonsense ... personally I hate having to deal with flipping settings all the time based on the content, so for me the convenience of just letting it output 4K SDR outweighs the minor gains I'd get from the WCG/HDR stuff.
In my case I have an HDFury Linker in the video path, which gets rid of the Gamma D issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5674 of 5708 Old 07-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
........ I believe that's true, it's outputting REC709 in a BT2020 container. However, with the color gamut set to my calibrated REC709 setting everything looks obviously desaturated, whereas when I switch to the calibrated BT2020 color gamut on the RS400 it looks correct. Which is what I'd expect with REC709 being output as BT2020.

To be clear, are you saying this happens also with HDR content from Netflix as well? In other words, it's not converting to SDR while maintaining the BT2020 color gamut, but instead accessing the alternate SDR + REC709 stream for HDR content?

Relevant to both comments above -- I believe this may be a Netflix limitation where if the end client requests an SDR stream, it's getting SDR + REC709 straight from the source rather than the streaming client getting an HDR + BT2020 stream and converting to SDR.BT2020?
I'm not an expert. Ask Claw - he is. You should post this question in the 820 thread. You can search his posts where he's gone into detail on the Netflix issue.

Pip

Here's his most recent on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

If you have the UB820 in SDR/BT2020 output mode, it will do a really good job with Amazon HDR titles. Unfortunately, Netflix will output SDR/REC709 when the UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode. I think this is a bug that should really be fixed.....

I watch Netflix in UB820 HDR output mode with the HDR Optimzer turned ON and HDR Display Type set to Projector (500 nits). I use a 1000 nit custom Arve curve in my JVC that I think works out really well. I much prefer this for Netflix HDR over what I get from my Apple TV 4K.
post #5675 of 5708 Old 07-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, pulled the trigger on this used RS-400, looks like I've got some work to do.

RS-400 with 2934 hours, 5X10 elite screens fixed screen, and ceiling mount for $1200. Set it on a tote, fired it up, and looks great so far with just an xbox hooked up. Can't tell if there's any calibration beyond factory.

The air filter was embarassingly clogged with dust. Cleaned that immediately.

Screen looks like plain white with just a few wrinkles from being folded up. Hope those flatten out.

Peerless celing mount with extra extension poles.

This the champagne taste HT build on a beer budget!

Luckily I'm in the a large metro area. Craigslist abounds with used audiophile quality gear. There seems to be a trend of repurposing dedicated HT rooms here locally. Lots of high end gear hitting the market.

Looking at a Classe Sigma sap signal processor. I dont think it has been upgraded to atmos, ect...$1600. There's some nice phase tech speakers floating around as well. 5.2.4 is my goal sound wise. I already had 2 PBS subs, power conditioner and an 8 channel speaker craft amp that weighs like 90 pounds.

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt
post #5676 of 5708 Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfootmatt View Post
Okay, pulled the trigger on this used RS-400, looks like I've got some work to do.

RS-400 with 2934 hours, 5X10 elite screens fixed screen, and ceiling mount for $1200. Set it on a tote, fired it up, and looks great so far with just an xbox hooked up. Can't tell if there's any calibration beyond factory.
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Follow my instructions and you will be very happy.
post #5677 of 5708 Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Screen looks like plain white with just a few wrinkles from being folded up. Hope those flatten out.

Luckily I'm in the a large metro area. Craigslist abounds with used audiophile quality gear. There seems to be a trend of repurposing dedicated HT rooms here locally. Lots of high end gear hitting the market.

Looking at a Classe Sigma sap signal processor. I dont think it has been upgraded to atmos, ect...$1600. There's some nice phase tech speakers floating around as well. 5.2.4 is my goal sound wise. I already had 2 PBS subs, power conditioner and an 8 channel speaker craft amp that weighs like 90 pounds.

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt
Once I finally setup the Gamma curves, this Pj puts out one hell of a picture ! I’ve been streaming HDR movies as well as 4K Blu-ray‘s. I swear the picture just keeps getting better and better you’re gonna love it.

I made the upload of the curve is way too complicated in my head, don’t think about it just do his instructions say and you’ll be fine... Enjoi

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #5678 of 5708 Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt
You got a heckuva deal! I did pretty well buying mine used too but let's just say you beat me! You may want to take some of those savings and buy a new bulb and consider a professional calibration to really make the PJ shine. I am a pretty frugal guy and I consider the money I paid ChadB to be well worth the investment. You also may want to consider a more mass market processor instead of spending the money on the Classe as the new HDMI standards are coming soon and you can get 5.2.4 with preouts covered a lot less than what the Classe will cost you. You might as well not spend as much now and have to spend more later when the new HDMI standards arrive. As a fellow frugal guy that is my opinion anyway...
post #5679 of 5708 Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I also leave my AVT at 4K SDR, but thank to this excellent idea of Dominic's, even without a custom curve, one might want to try this if you have an 820.

Quote:
The 2015 JVC projectors would switch the gamma to Gamma D on detection of HDR,...Since the UB820 HDR settings are highly customizable, one could leave the projector in Gamma D and adjust the UB820 settings to compensate.

I recently compared (simultaneously) a TCL 6 series (streaming internally), to streaming from the 820 to my RS500 using Dominic's Game D revisited settings. This combination of the 820 Optimizer and Dominic's settings yields a remarkably similar image. On a wide variety of material, colors and EOTF seem very close to the Dolby Vision Dark mode of the TCL.

It's not as good as an add-on or custom curve, but for someone who hasn't installed one, it can often yield a great image. The 820 currently won't stream Netflix HDR when set to SDR/BT2020. Without a custom curve, this can be an excellent substitute.

You can navigate to his settings through his signature

Thanks Dominic

Pip
Dominic Chan likes this.
post #5680 of 5708 Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
It's not as good as an add-on or custom curve, but for someone who hasn't installed one, it can often yield a great image. The 820 currently won't stream Netflix HDR when set to SDR/BT2020. Without a custom curve, this can be an excellent substitute.
I'm glad you like the custom settings.

Most of the HDR custom curves "floating around" were designed for 1000 nits or 4000 nits. If you set the UB820 for 500 nits displays, there may be too much roll-off in the highlights due to double tone-mapping.

I have uploaded two curves that contain minimal tone mapping. They should produce brighter highlights with the UB820, at the expense of reduced gradation.
post #5681 of 5708 Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
USC1995

THANKS! I like showing the wife posts that confirm my CL deal getting prowess!

I've moved on from the Classe AVR as it didn't have the atmos upgrade.

Currently looking at a Yamaha RX-A3040 with atmos firmware. I can run 7.2.4 using an existing speaker craft 8 ch amp I have.

Also a set of Mordaunt-Short THX 7.1 Speakers - $750 locally.

As for the rest of you, way over my head!

Current inputs for the projector are an xbox and Cox Contour wireless streaming box that I can't get to work. With Amazon Prime.

Need to figure out a good streaming service

Missed on some Oppo DVD players cheap last weekend.😟

Obviously I've got some work to do.

Thx,

Matt
post #5682 of 5708 Old 08-03-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The Panasonic UB820 blu ray player will stream Amazon and Netflix or you can hook up an HTPC.
post #5683 of 5708 Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi Everyone -

This being my first post, I had submitted a longer post and don't see it showing up after about 30 minutes. I wanted to send another one to see if it just takes awhile for it to post to go through moderator before I re-did the other post. So consider this a test case...
post #5684 of 5708 Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Well apparently I hit wrong button on the first post, sorry about the test above!

I just wanted to say thank you to Dominic and Dreamliner. Because of you I now have my x550 running HDR and the picture looking great! I had given up on it for a few years and just put through my ATV 4k using the non-HDR setting. Thanks to your recommendations I went out and bought the Panasonic UB820, loaded a few custom curves and pictures is awesome! Now my only challenge is the dreaded Gamma D going back automatically when using my ATV4k. But thanks to Dominic's suggestion I just ordered the HD Fury Linker and that will solve that problem!

My only question is I went cheaper on my screen a few years back and have a Elite Screens Sable Frame 2, 138-INCH DIAG. 2.35:1 screen that CineWhite with 1.1 gain. I have a dedicated theater room so ambient light is not an issue. I have a 7.4.2 atmo system so sound is amazing and now with the x550 pumping HDR really happy. Would I notice a substantial difference if I upgraded screens? If so to what?

Also, for anyone interested RedBox is now testing renting 4k Blu Rays in a few areas. Lucky enough I am one of them and love this option! $2.50 a night I get to watch the best source possible in a 4k disc and since I don't re-watch many movies a huge bonus for me since other alternative was buying them! Not great selection yet but bet will come.

Finally, I can't find a calibrator in Iowa that seems to know these JVC projectors. If anyone has a recommendation I'd love to have it!

Thanks again Dominic, Dreamliner and everyone else on here for their contributions. Been huge for me to get my theater to an awesome place!!
Modicen and Dominic Chan like this.
post #5685 of 5708 Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Dominic what setting do you use on the HD Fury for connecting the Apple TV 4K to the x550? Just got mine in mail and noticed different settings you can do. I’m excited to get the default to Gamma D gone. Thanks!
post #5686 of 5708 Old 08-10-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy13 View Post
Dominic what setting do you use on the HD Fury for connecting the Apple TV 4K to the x550? Just got mine in mail and noticed different settings you can do. I’m excited to get the default to Gamma D gone. Thanks!
I just use the default setting other than checking the option to disable HDR.
post #5687 of 5708 Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I just use the default setting other than checking the option to disable HDR.
So you you do not change anything on the HD Fury and set the Apple TV to be on the 4k SDR setting?
post #5688 of 5708 Old 08-10-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy13 View Post
So you you do not change anything on the HD Fury and set the Apple TV to be on the 4k SDR setting?
The ATV has to be on the HDR setting. The HD Fury blocks the metadata so the projector does not switch to Gamma D. The user has to select an picture mode manually according to the source Dynamic Range.
post #5689 of 5708 Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi, my X5000 after re-run the autocal after 100 hours, if I switch on the CMD to low, it crushes the black, OFF it, then all the black details are back to normal, happen to all calibration either SDR or HDR

I have run the autocal for both CMD on and off, and re-do it after seeing the crush black, but same result after re-run the autocal.

Also, if anyone using a HDfury Linker here, does your Linker giving problem for the HDMI handshake? Mine on fw ver 0.23 and 0.24 had been very unstable lately (using since 2016), the projector does received signal but no picture showing (the JVC 4k24p indicator did show up), just blank black screen.

I have since remove the Linker to the chain and the signal is all good but I misses the auto iris of 4k source.

Any help here?

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
post #5690 of 5708 Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
The ATV has to be on the HDR setting. The HD Fury blocks the metadata so the projector does not switch to Gamma D. The user has to select an picture mode manually according to the source Dynamic Range.
Just FYI, the Apple TV does not have to be set to HDR and can be left on 4K SDR in order to stream HDR content as long as the Match Content setting is enabled. The menus, games and so forth will be in SDR but the rest will be in HDR. You also do not have to select the "Enable HDR" mode in the Apple TV as well.
post #5691 of 5708 Old 08-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
Just FYI, the Apple TV does not have to be set to HDR and can be left on 4K SDR in order to stream HDR content as long as the Match Content setting is enabled. The menus, games and so forth will be in SDR but the rest will be in HDR. You also do not have to select the "Enable HDR" mode in the Apple TV as well.
I didn’t know that. Nice tip. Thanks. Should post this in the ATV thread also.

Thanks.

Pip
post #5692 of 5708 Old 08-19-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn’t know that. Nice tip. Thanks. Should post this in the ATV thread also.

Thanks.

Pip
You can set the ATV in either SDR or HDR mode, and it will automatically switch modes according to the source. The reason I avoided this approach is to eliminate the long resync every time the show/movie starts.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-19-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #5693 of 5708 Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can set the ATV in either SDR or HDR mode, and it will automatically switch modes according to the source. The reason I avoided this approach is to eliminate the long resync every time the show/movie starts.
Even better tip

Pip
post #5694 of 5708 Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 717
So I just set up my Panasonic UB820 to the recommended settings, but it only seems to be able to put out a 1080p 24fps 12 bit YUV color space picture. I can’t seem to get it to send 4k.

I have 4k eshift set to on and original resolution set to Auto. In the setup hdmi menu, when I try to force 4k, it will do a test and revert back to 1080p.

Could this be a limitation of my 45’ monoprice cabernet active cable, or do I likely have something set wrong? Panasonic to Marant SR8012, Marantz to projector.

Edit: Hmm, when I connect the Panasonic directly to the 45’ monoprice cabernet, bypassing the Marantz, it goes into 4k 60hz 4:4:4 instantly. So it seems the issue is some setting or lack of pass through in the Marantz 8012.

Edit 2: After having the Panasonic directly connected and having success with 4k 60hz 4:4:4, then powering down and unplugging everything and routing back through the receiver, everything now works perfectly. Strange, but I’ll take it!

Edit 3: So when I turn zone 2 on in the Marantz to pass the original hdmi audio to my secondary receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR3010 that extracts front heights, wides, and two more subwoofer channels, I lose the 4k image and get a blank screen. When I turn zine 2 off, it comes back on in 4k. More work to do.

Last edited by SteveCallas; 08-21-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #5695 of 5708 Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So my issue was using zone 2 to get extra surround processing from a second receiver. By not using zone 2 and instead using the second hdmi out from the Panasonic to feed the Onkyo directly, I have solved that issue.
post #5696 of 5708 Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Earlier in this thread it was talked about having to download a BT2020 update to send to the projector. Is the BT 2020 profile that’s already loaded in the projector inaccurate?

Also, am I supposed to keep switching between BT 2020 and standard when I switch from a 4K disc to a 1080 disc?
post #5697 of 5708 Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Earlier in this thread it was talked about having to download a BT2020 update to send to the projector. Is the BT 2020 profile that’s already loaded in the projector inaccurate?

Also, am I supposed to keep switching between BT 2020 and standard when I switch from a 4K disc to a 1080 disc?
The earlier projectors did not have the BT2020 profile, but later ones have it preloaded. The profile is the same in either case.

For 4K discs it’s not just the colour profile that’s different; you also need to have a different Gamma, and different iris and possible lamp power settings. It’s much easier to configure a User Picture Mode for that.
post #5698 of 5708 Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
..... Also, am I supposed to keep switching between BT 2020 and standard when I switch from a 4K disc to a 1080 disc?
Quote:
....For 4K discs it’s not just the colour profile that’s different; you also need to have a different Gamma, ..... It’s much easier to configure a User Picture Mode for that.
Yes, you do need to use BT2020 for 4K discs, and Standard for all other discs. As Dominic says, the easy way to do this is to set up one of your six User Picture modes with all the settings for 4K from the 820. (You can find the proper RS400/UB820 settings earlier in the thread.) If you want you can rename your user setting "4K" or "UHD" or something, Then when playing a 4k disc, you switch to that User mode, and all the changes are taken care of for you.

Pip
post #5699 of 5708 Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then when playing a 4k disc, you switch to that User mode, and all the changes are taken care of for you.
A further note: the RS400 has a nasty habit of switching automatically to Gamma D when detecting HDR. The easiest way to deal with this is to set the UB820 to output SDR/BT2020, at least for watching discs.
post #5700 of 5708 Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I have the Panasonic not sending the separate HDR signal, so no gamma trigger.

What type of iris adjustments are you guys doing for 4k vs 1080? I’m on auto 2 with the itis knocked down a couple notches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page