Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3558Likes

post #5821 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5204 Post(s)
Liked: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusticR6 View Post
wondering if i can get some help with loading the BT.2020 file. i bought a panasonic 420 and was following Dreamliner's guide to install the file on the projector.

i have downloaded the jvc calibration software on both my desktop and a laptop in my home. i have read the jvc instructions on connecting both directly and through a network.

my RS400 will not find an ip address when DHCP is on.

i have brought my laptop in the room with projector and connected directly. i turned DHCP off on the projector and input the ip address and subnet mask was correct. default gateway matched what the laptop said. i added 1 to the ip address of the pc to use for the projector.

i made a long cat5e cable to try different ports in my house but nothing. im about 10ft short of plugging directly into my router. i do have a switch that everything runs through so maybe thats a problem but i dont understand why it didn't work with the laptop direct.

it seems as though maybe the projector's ethernet port does not work?

is there anything else i can do?
For DHCP to work the projector needs to be connected to a DHCP server, which can be your router (can be through the switch), or your PC if you run the server software on it.

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-30-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
For DHCP to work you need the projector needs to be connected to a DHCP server, which can be your router (can be through the switch), or your PC if you run the server software on it.
i did look in the network setting and it says under network properties IP Assignment: Automatic(DHCP)

you think that qualifies?

i figured i wouldn't have to really mess with that

i may try looking in the router front end and see what i can mess with there i guess.

Do What?
post #5823 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i did look in the network setting and it says under network properties IP Assignment: Automatic(DHCP)

you think that qualifies?
For it to work the projector still needs to be connected to a DHCP Server.

If you use manual IP assignment you do not need a server. In either case, you need to enter the same IP address in the Autocal software, as what the projector is using.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
For it to work the projector still needs to be connected to a DHCP Server.

If you use manual IP assignment you do not need a server. In either case, you need to enter the same IP address in the Autocal software, as what the projector is using.

ok i think i just dont really know what a server actually is. i just have a 'normal' router/switch setup.

im gonna try again going direct

thanks.

Do What?
post #5825 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ok i think i just dont really know what a server actually is. i just have a 'normal' router/switch setup.

im gonna try again going direct

thanks.
A normal router will include the DHCP and is the easier way to connect.

If you connect direct you have to manually assign an IP address to the projector, and also enter the same address in the autocal software.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5826 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM

ok, a member pointed out that i should have a green light come on when i connect the Ethernet cable.

i am not having that light come on. i only have the yellow light. so i am thinking its that port that is bad. i am pretty sure im out of warranty and im guessing it would not be worth it to try and have someone look at it.

so i guess my next question would be: without that BT.2020 file, what am i missing or is it crucial to 4K?

Do What?
post #5827 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes nance View Post
I bought a Panny 420 yesterday (good Black Friday deal)
I saw those deals. The 420 is an excellent deal.
Quote:
So far looks good, but I only have one UHD disc- Fantastic Beasts. Not sure if that is a good example of a 4K disc or not. What should I use for a reference disc?
Almost anything works, if you shut off the SDR2020 and go back to the old way of watching with Gamma D or a Custom Curve, you'll see how massive of a difference it really makes.
Quote:
On the info screen my RS400 lists HDR. Is that correct?
Yes. I have a feeling it shows HDR if it is receiving a BT2020 signal, that is my guess.
post #5828 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i do have a switch that everything runs through so maybe thats a problem
Quote:
i made a long cat5e cable to try different ports in my house but nothing.
Do you have a network cable tester? I always assume I screwed something up or my configuration is wrong or my cables are wrong before anything else. I do find it highly unlikely the network jack is just dead on the projector. It's possible, but I'd be sure to rule out everything else. Test everything. Also, switches do not assign IP addresses, only routers do. If your laptop has an Ethernet connector, shut off WiFi and try to get internet through the cable/ports you're using for the projector. Test EVERYTHING.
Quote:
so i guess my next question would be: without that BT.2020 file, what am i missing or is it crucial to 4K?
Required.

Connecting through the router is what I suggest. It is easier and will eliminate configuration issues, but you gotta get it to see the router. Pretty sure the light staying orange means it doesn't think it is connected to anything, which indicates a cable/connection issues. Make certain the cable works and connect it directly into a ROUTER.
post #5829 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ok, a member pointed out that i should have a green light come on when i connect the Ethernet cable.

i am not having that light come on. i only have the yellow light. so i am thinking its that port that is bad. i
I believe the green led only comes on when communication is established. Lack of it does not necessarily indicate a bad port.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5830 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Do you have a network cable tester? I always assume I screwed something up or my configuration is wrong or my cables are wrong before anything else. I do find it highly unlikely the network jack is just dead on the projector. It's possible, but I'd be sure to rule out everything else. Test everything. Also, switches do not assign IP addresses, only routers do. If your laptop has an Ethernet connector, shut off WiFi and try to get internet through the cable/ports you're using for the projector. Test EVERYTHING.

Required.

Connecting through the router is what I suggest. It is easier and will eliminate configuration issues, but you gotta get it to see the router. Pretty sure the light staying orange means it doesn't think it is connected to anything, which indicates a cable/connection issues. Make certain the cable works and connect it directly into a ROUTER.
Hi, yes i do have a tester and with the laptop i used a store bought cable. i made the cable after i couldn't connect with the laptop. i used the made up cable to connect to the closest desktop(about 20ft away). i did shut off wifi on the laptop. when i first connected the laptop and tested the connection with the software it took at least a minute to say 'Connect NG' or whatever. once i shut the wifi off it says 'Connect NG' right away.

i will try your suggestion to connect the projector to my router, but im a tad confused now. that means i use DHCP ON? how will i know it sees the router?

Do What?
post #5831 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I believe the green led only comes on when communication is established. Lack of it does not necessarily indicate a bad port.
ok, i hope so. thanks

Do What?
post #5832 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Almost anything works, if you shut off the SDR2020 and go back to the old way of watching with Gamma D or a Custom Curve, you'll see how massive of a difference it really makes.

Yes. I have a feeling it shows HDR if it is receiving a BT2020 signal, that is my guess.
Thanks for the info. This upgrade definitely shows how well the rs400 was handling Blu-ray discs. Watching in 4K with the Panny 420 and BT. 2020 looks great, just not a world changer. I might be able to do some back and forth between Blu-ray and 4K with the same movie and notice more improvement. No plans to upgrade this projector, though!
post #5833 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, yes i do have a tester and with the laptop i used a store bought cable. i made the cable after i couldn't connect with the laptop. i used the made up cable to connect to the closest desktop(about 20ft away). i did shut off wifi on the laptop. when i first connected the laptop and tested the connection with the software it took at least a minute to say 'Connect NG' or whatever. once i shut the wifi off it says 'Connect NG' right away.

i will try your suggestion to connect the projector to my router, but im a tad confused now. that means i use DHCP ON? how will i know it sees the router?
Yes, if you’re connecting to the router turn on DHCP.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5834 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 04:25 PM

ok i have the projector plugged in to port 4 on the router.

i still have only the yellow light on the pj, no green

i have no lights on the router on port 4

i ran the obtain ip address with failure

if i take the cable out of the pj and plug into laptop, i get internet and lights on port 4 on the router.

its like the port on the pj is off or disabled. is there a setting that im missing to turn it on?

Do What?

Last edited by RusticR6; 11-30-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #5835 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ok i have the projector plugged in to port 4 on the router.

i still have only the yellow light on the pj, no green

i have no lights on the router on port 4

i ran the obtain ip address with failure

if i take the cable out of the pj and plug into laptop, i get internet and lights on port 4 on the router.

its like the port on the pj is off or disabled. is there a setting that im missing to turn it on?
What I said previously about the green light is incorrect. I just checked mine and the green light comes on as soon as there is a connection, regardless of the IP address.

I’m not aware of any option to disable/enable the port. Some people had to physically disconnect the power cord after powering down the projector, wait a minute and then restart the projector, before communications could be established. However, I’m not sure if their green light was off.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5836 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
What I said previously about the green light is incorrect. I just checked mine and the green light comes on as soon as there is a connection, regardless of the IP address.

I’m not aware of any option to disable/enable the port. Some people had to physically disconnect the power cord after powering down the projector, wait a minute and then restart the projector, before communications could be established. However, I’m not sure if their green light was off.

thanks for checking that. i might unplug it and leave it overnight and try one more time in the morning. if it doesn't work i think im gonna give up.

Do What?
post #5837 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like it would be easier, if you directly connect your PC or notebook via ethernet cable with your projector.
Just give both a different IP address but within the same subnet.

PC:
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Projector:
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

don't care about the rest (Gateway, DNS, ...)

Then enter the IP address of the projector in the Autocal software and you should be done.
bubbrik likes this.

If something walks out of your refrigerator: let it go!
post #5838 of 5851 Old 11-30-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you connect direct, shut off WiFi to ensure your PC is looking in the right spot. Make sure the Subnet Mask is the same. The setting above are a good recommendation.
post #5839 of 5851 Old 12-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ok, watched “Annihilation” last night in UHD on the Panny 420. I did use the DI (black level is a top priority in my black cave) and iris -3 or so, but switched to high lamp (my lamp has almost 3000 hours, time to start planning) and had HD optimizer on, and the dynamic range conversion adjustment to +7 (I have a big scope screen)

The verdict was that it was the best image I’ve seen from the rs400, with a total minimum of fuss. Could it be better? Maybe. Would I notice? Not sure.

I saw you were involved in the big custom curves thread with the wip/wip branch, Arve stuff a while ago. Is your conclusion that the SDR/BT2020/Panny solution pretty much 90+% of the way there with pretty much zero effort? Any use in looking at custom curves? I’m perfectly happy running my Roku+ at 4K/60hz and not doing HDR for Netflix, etc.

Thx!
post #5840 of 5851 Old 12-01-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I saw you were involved in the big custom curves thread with the wip/wip branch, Arve stuff a while ago. Is your conclusion that the SDR/BT2020/Panny solution pretty much 90+% of the way there with pretty much zero effort? Any use in looking at custom curves? I’m perfectly happy running my Roku+ at 4K/60hz and not doing HDR for Netflix, etc.
If your HDR viewing is based on UHD discs there’s no need for custom curves. The Panasonic essentially gives you tunable custom curves.

Custom curves allow you to watch HDR from any source.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5841 of 5851 Old 12-01-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I saw you were involved in the big custom curves thread with the wip/wip branch, Arve stuff a while ago. Is your conclusion that the SDR/BT2020/Panny solution pretty much 90+% of the way there with pretty much zero effort?
100%. I was one of the only people actually admitting how terrible the RSxxx projectors looked with custom curves and I got banned for 2 weeks because of it. Truth is painful sometimes.
Quote:
Any use in looking at custom curves? I’m perfectly happy running my Roku+ at 4K/60hz and not doing HDR for Netflix, etc.
I recommend loading JAVS V3 for those times you need to stream something. Luckily I've been able to mostly avoid it.

I knew in 2016 something was very wrong with the way HDR looked on the JVC projectors. It took about 2 years for everyone else to catch up. Once Tone Mapping rolled out on the Oppo player it was obvious to me it was the solution. When the 820 was available (before the 420 was announced) I bought it right away and loudly proclaimed it as the solution for disc content on the RSxxx projectors.

Now, even JVC has rolled out projectors with Tone Mapping built in, pretty much proving static curves were not going to cut it. Apparently the new JVC projectors use Dynamic Tone Mapping which is even better than what the 420/820/9000 can do, and it works on every single source. Obviously it will be my next projector but I'll likely wait for the next version...the RS400 still has more life, if streaming looked as good as discs from the 420/820, I'd probably keep it even longer.
post #5842 of 5851 Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now, even JVC has rolled out projectors with Tone Mapping built in, pretty much proving static curves were not going to cut it.
Technically the Panasonic tone mapping is still static. It selects one curve (for each movie) based on the metadata and sticks with it for the entire movie, even if the metadata applies only to a one-second highlight in the movie.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5843 of 5851 Old 12-02-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
So quick question for you guys I have to oppo 203 on the jvc rs400 and wondering at the sale price of 150 if it would be worth it to buy the Panasonic 420 for the optimizer and run 2 players in the rack

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #5844 of 5851 Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
So quick question for you guys I have to oppo 203 on the jvc rs400 and wondering at the sale price of 150 if it would be worth it to buy the Panasonic 420 for the optimizer and run 2 players in the rack
100% yes. Once you see how good the UB420 looks when configured the way I recommend, you'll be selling the Oppo.
post #5845 of 5851 Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks Dreamliner, was going to ask the same for ub820 vs my ub900 setup with some Arve curves. Great price at $150
post #5846 of 5851 Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennistermulo View Post
Thanks Dreamliner, was going to ask the same for ub820 vs my ub900 setup with some Arve curves. Great price at $150
Couldnt find the edit button, sorry referring to ub420 of course
post #5847 of 5851 Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:
100% yes. Once you see how good the UB420 looks when configured the way I recommend, you'll be selling the Oppo.
Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear. Also good news is my buddy actually bought me one yesterday as a thank you gift for helping him on his first theater build. Allready got the hdmi cable on the way. I'll be getting all your settings plugged in this weekend. I'm pretty excited to see what the image will look like.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
mtbdudex and Mahuzz13 like this.
post #5848 of 5851 Old 12-03-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
I just got a HDFury Integral at great price, now I’ll be using same techniques posted here for HDR, both 4K discs and streaming Netflix/ other.

Timely recent discussions, so I’ll read and apply that knowledge.
I may ask for help still

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
post #5849 of 5851 Old 12-07-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought a Roku Ultra last week to use with my JVC RS400. Installed last night and ran into a issue. I have a anamorphic lens and would like to keep using it with the Roku but cannot access the anamorphic modes on the JVC when using the Roku... grayed out. Is there a way to get the picture to go full frame when streaming from a Roku, or will I have to move the lens out of the way? If the Roku can't do this, then is there another relatively inexpensive device with streaming and 4k/HDR that will allow me to keep using the anamorphic lens with the JVC? I've been dragging the kids Playstation 4 into the room to use with Disney Plus (no Disney Plus on PS3), so might just have to buy another PS4 for the theater room since it works with the anamorphic lens.

My Build Thread
post #5850 of 5851 Old 12-07-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
^^ AppleTV

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
DigitalJackson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement