Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3510Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Member
 
NormP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Big Sky, Montana
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Starting to think seriously about upgrading from my current RS1X to a RS400, I know it will be a huge improvement and the RS1 is getting close to EoL. One of the issues that caused a problem setting up the RS1 is that I live at 7,300 feet- had to run the lamp at low and in High Altitude Mode. How have projectors, the RS400 in particular, addressed this issue in the last few years?

Norm
NormP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
nucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well what do I think of the new X5000 RS400 compaird to the X500, once I pick my jaw up from of the floor then I will tell you. It is better in every way first the 3D is amazing I use my torture disc sammy's adventure. on the X500 I can't watch it as the crosstalk is so bad, on the new X5000 there is absolutely no crosstalk and it is very bright just what the doctor ordered. For normal films it's brighter and just as good for blacks. For me the X5000 is a very very big improvement. It's also more natural looking as well.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
nucky is offline  
post #63 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Which way to upgrade?

I have a RS-45, Lumagen Mini right now projecting onto a Carada 110" BW screen. It is in a basement with dark walls and ceiling. I want to add more brightness to 3-D. Adding a second projector, like an Epson 2040 is cheaper than upgrading to the RS-400. Will I get the same results? I could choose a different DLP for 3-D also. I can calibrate as I have Calman enthusiast, so out of the box being off is not an issue.
Secondly, if I go the route of the RS-400, do I need to keep the Lumagen? If not, that could help to defray the cost of the new projector.
kkpro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: New York,NY,USA
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
I have a RS-45, Lumagen Mini right now projecting onto a Carada 110" BW screen. It is in a basement with dark walls and ceiling. I want to add more brightness to 3-D. Adding a second projector, like an Epson 2040 is cheaper than upgrading to the RS-400. Will I get the same results? I could choose a different DLP for 3-D also. I can calibrate as I have Calman enthusiast, so out of the box being off is not an issue.
Secondly, if I go the route of the RS-400, do I need to keep the Lumagen? If not, that could help to defray the cost of the new projector.
I would trade in the Mini and the RS45 and get yourself a RS400/X550. It's an amazing machine compared to the older machines.
raoul is offline  
post #65 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
How are the grayscale and CMS controls? I read there were issues with the last year models. I really like the results with the Lumagen 3-D lut.
kkpro is offline  
post #66 of 5637 Old 01-21-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I would trade in the Mini and the RS45 and get yourself a RS400/X550. It's an amazing machine compared to the older machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I would trade in the Mini and the RS45 and get yourself a RS400/X550. It's an amazing machine compared to the older machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I see they still haven't fixed the double-posting bug in this forum completely yet.
I see they still haven't fixed the double-posting bug in this forum completely yet...
jjcook likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #67 of 5637 Old 01-22-2016, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
How are the calibration controls?
kkpro is offline  
post #68 of 5637 Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Anyone using the 400 in a non dedicated room?

With OLED and FALD LCD cost a projector in my living room has become a lot more appealing. I plan on calling Mike next week (we spoke via PM), but just curious if anyone is using it in the same way I would be.

During the day, there will be light, at night I run a small 40w lamp off in the corner, and for blu-ray its pitch black. I was curious if say the 1700 mode would make a good "day" calibration and then the lower lumen mode could be the "night" cal.

Here are a couple of pictures. I would be mounting on a wall shelf above our heads and behind us. I would easily be able to mount it height wise at the top of the screen. 400 to screen would be about 14 feet and I think I can go about 90" diagonal. This would be my first FP, so I am def a newb.





Other issue is I would have like a 75 foot HDMI run. Would be nice if there was a wireless solution for that.

First pic gives an idea of day time. The second pic, my current lamp bulb is not near that bright.
DavidHir likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #69 of 5637 Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Ive read through every thread here and don't see one person complain about bright corners on the 400, is this true?
The 500/600 thread is riddled with complaints!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #70 of 5637 Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ive read through every thread here and don't see one person complain about bright corners on the 400, is this true?
The 500/600 thread is riddled with complaints!
I dont have any bright corners with the JVC rs400..
john2910 is offline  
post #71 of 5637 Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
nucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ive read through every thread here and don't see one person complain about bright corners on the 400, is this true?
The 500/600 thread is riddled with complaints!
I don't have any bright corners ether.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
nucky is offline  
post #72 of 5637 Old 01-24-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
I don't have any bright corners ether.

You do however still have very slow long waits for the projector to sync don't you, like on the 500/600?
Going from 60 to 24 can take up to 17 secs.
50 > 60
60 > 24
Very LONG waits!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #73 of 5637 Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
nucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
You do however still have very slow long waits for the projector to sync don't you, like on the 500/600?
Going from 60 to 24 can take up to 17 secs.
50 > 60
60 > 24
Very LONG waits!
It only takes 7 seconds to lock on to a picture. I've not got 4K yet so will have to wait and see how long that takes.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
nucky is offline  
post #74 of 5637 Old 01-24-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
It only takes 7 seconds to lock on to a picture. I've not got 4K yet so will have to wait and see how long that takes.

Ok thanks for that but do you know how long it takes to go from say 60 > 24, I would find it odd to be only 7 secs when the 500/600 take 17 secs.
If its only 7 secs to do this Im buying it!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #75 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.


There was no official owners thread so i started one.


I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.


I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..
Hi guys

Long time forum reader, finally decided to pull the trigger and join officially this wonderful community where I already learnt so much over the years.

I´m setting up a dedicated small cinema room, and while we still have some work to do on the room it´s time to decide on the most important thing, the PJ.

I had the chance to try the Epson 5030UB /TW9200, and loved what I saw, specially 3D (I was shocked that it was so bright, detailed, and that were no signs of ghosting, I remember I told my gf “this is the way 3D is supposed to be”), in that very same demo session I could watch the same content on a JVC RS49/X500, and still enjoyed more the image from the Epson.

Lately i´ve been presented the opportunity to buy the new JVC RS400/X5000, there is not a lot of information out there on this one and I don´t have the chance to try it myself, but i´ve been told is a very nice upgrade over the RS49/X500, especially in 3D content (and it will supposedly be way better than the 5030ub on that regard, not only in 2D).

So now i´m kind of confused, i´m very tempted on going for the JVC,I did my research back in the day on the Epson and i´m well aware on its characteristics, but there are few things I need to clarify on the JCV.

First of all I checked the official JVC.com distance calculator, I need a 16:9 -100” screen and the maximum distance pj-screen I can get is 3.15m (I have to use metric system, folks, i´m based in Europe) the JVC distance calculator is telling me I need 3.12m minimum (while the JVC Europe site tells me I need 3.01m with a +-5% variation, which is kind of more of the same distance), so to me that looks too tight, I will have to use the zoom as its maximum capability, can u guys confirm these numbers on real life are right? Will zooming so much affect the quality of the image or the duration of the lens?

More on the pj location is that I won´t be able to place it right in front of the screen center, I could only do that by mount it on the ceiling, however the distance pj-screen would be around 3m, and that apparently it won´t get me a 100” screen.So I will have to place it on a wonderful hifi table, i will need to use the lens shift function, and i´m not sure the 34% horizontal lens shift JVC provides would be good enough, in my case the projector lens would be 85-90 cm from the center of the screen (screen center is 135cm from the wall, projector lens would be 45cm from the wall) .The Epson has a 47% horizontal shift which I think it won´t be good enough either but since it´s a smaller pj it would make the ceiling installation a kid´s game.

So location is kind of a headache for me.

Secondly, what about the 3D quality?, for me this is a deal breaker, I will be watching lots of 3d movies, so I need not only top quality but also a relaxed experience (I remember the 5030ub 3D watching experience being perfect since it was like looking like a 2D image, the active glasses felt like normal glasses and the image brightness was phenomenal, however on the JC RS49 there was clearly some brightness missing, it was a nice experience, there is no bad on this product level, but the Epson was way better to my eyes).

And finally i´m worried about the input lag for games, I don´t play online, I only play offline driving games, I have a nice Playseat+Logitech Wheel and I like enjoying some races, I also play some offline sports games , not more than that, we used to play on a 2011 Led TV, with an input lag of 46s, we never felt any kind of disturbing sensation with that lag, but I read the JVC has a 120ms input lag, which is quite more than we are used to? Would that be problematic? Would it affect our gaming experience?

That is all so far, I will surely have few more doubts, ultimately I think I can manage with the PJ location, but not sure about 3D and gaming performance an, so hopefully some lucky owners will help me on that regard.
Eva2016 is offline  
post #76 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
nucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ok thanks for that but do you know how long it takes to go from say 60 > 24, I would find it odd to be only 7 secs when the 500/600 take 17 secs.
If its only 7 secs to do this Im buying it!
I won't know that until I get my new 4K player.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
nucky is offline  
post #77 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post
I won't know that until I get my new 4K player.
Ok you obviously don't use an HTPC. One can still do the test by using a mix of youtube content 60/50/24 and placing them on a USB stick.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #78 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ximori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Irvine, Ca
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ive read through every thread here and don't see one person complain about bright corners on the 400, is this true?
The 500/600 thread is riddled with complaints!
For such a bargain price, I probably wouldn't even complain even if I had seen one - after it throws such a spectacular image.
Macroblocker likes this.
Ximori is offline  
post #79 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
nucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: scotland
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ok you obviously don't use an HTPC. One can still do the test by using a mix of youtube content 60/50/24 and placing them on a USB stick.
4K 50 through my denon amp 11 seconds.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
nucky is offline  
post #80 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Mike Garrett over in the RS500/600 Owners Thread gave really good advice on how to properly align the projector to the screen. It was helpful to me and I've mounted 10 projectors before.
Link please
wse is offline  
post #81 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: New York,NY,USA
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Anyone using the 400 in a non dedicated room?

With OLED and FALD LCD cost a projector in my living room has become a lot more appealing. I plan on calling Mike next week (we spoke via PM), but just curious if anyone is using it in the same way I would be.

During the day, there will be light, at night I run a small 40w lamp off in the corner, and for blu-ray its pitch black. I was curious if say the 1700 mode would make a good "day" calibration and then the lower lumen mode could be the "night" cal.

Here are a couple of pictures. I would be mounting on a wall shelf above our heads and behind us. I would easily be able to mount it height wise at the top of the screen. 400 to screen would be about 14 feet and I think I can go about 90" diagonal. This would be my first FP, so I am def a newb.





Other issue is I would have like a 75 foot HDMI run. Would be nice if there was a wireless solution for that.


First pic gives an idea of day time. The second pic, my current lamp bulb is not near that bright.
I run mine with a fair amount of ambient light. It's spectacular. The room is big and white and there's a lot of contrast killing bounce (and I project on a white wall) but at the same time the picture is quite special and bright. You can do the fancy Day / Night calibration thing but I just shoved mine in brighter mode and I don't sit in the dark. I am not using a 4k source yet because I have a 50ft hdmi run. Instead I'm using the DVDO Air3c which had a few hiccups but is now quite reliable. (You need to use HDMI 2 with EDID mode = 2 so it identifies as a 1080p projector). I don't have 4k yet, I will try it as soon as I find a halfway decent cable.

You can agonize a tonne about if the projector is right for you. Basically, you pay 4k for a 75" sony flatscreen or the same amount for the projector + install.
gadgtfreek likes this.
raoul is offline  
post #82 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Mount?

Hi All

Just buying a DLA-400RS. Need a ceiling mount.

Was looking at Peerless PRG-UNV $98 and Chief RPMA281 $198

Peerless don't say it's compatible but an Amazon reviewer said it is. I'd rather trust you guys :-)

It's my first ceiling mount projector, so I have a few questions
  1. Will the Peerless fit?
  2. Will the Peerless fit?
  3. Is the Chief worth double the price, if so, what are the top benefits?
  4. Do I need to buy an adapter plate with either?


I'll probably be mounting through lathe and plaster to a joist. Do i need a ceiling plate?

TIA

Mark

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
post #83 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Other issue is I would have like a 75 foot HDMI run. Would be nice if there was a wireless solution for that.

First pic gives an idea of day time. The second pic, my current lamp bulb is not near that bright.
I'd forget wireless. I have a very long HDMI run and got one of these: http://keydigital.com/Downloads/Cham...DMI_Cables.pdf (KD-HIFI75ProK). Shop around for a good price.

They're expensive but pretty much future proof and guaranteed to work. I looked at baluns with Cat6, but there expensive and every one I looked at 93 months ago was limited in one way or another, esp. with 4k and newer stuff)

Regards

Mark
gadgtfreek likes this.

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
post #84 of 5637 Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Link please

I was looking for it too: I think this is it: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post40404738

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
post #85 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I run mine with a fair amount of ambient light. It's spectacular. The room is big and white and there's a lot of contrast killing bounce (and I project on a white wall) but at the same time the picture is quite special and bright. You can do the fancy Day / Night calibration thing but I just shoved mine in brighter mode and I don't sit in the dark. I am not using a 4k source yet because I have a 50ft hdmi run. Instead I'm using the DVDO Air3c which had a few hiccups but is now quite reliable. (You need to use HDMI 2 with EDID mode = 2 so it identifies as a 1080p projector). I don't have 4k yet, I will try it as soon as I find a halfway decent cable.

You can agonize a tonne about if the projector is right for you. Basically, you pay 4k for a 75" sony flatscreen or the same amount for the projector + install.
Thanks, I have been back and forth with Mike at AVS sales (thanks for the help Mike) and I have decided Im going with the 400. I have put my flat panel up for sale and as soon as I can move it, I will proceed with the purchase.

We settled on:
RS400
80ft Fiber Optic HDMI Cable
Elite 3D Cinegray screen

Since I use Chad B, I would have him setup a day and night mode. Day is mainly for football season when its bright in the living room. Would use night for Dish network evenings and Blu-ray. If for some reason I can't move the flat panel any time soon, Ill have the cash put back by March and will proceed anyways.
Mike Garrett likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #86 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM
Member
 
fjendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4910 -> 400?

Anyone go from a 4910 to a new 400?

Any impressions, thoughts, comparisons?

Thanks,

Frank
fjendra is offline  
post #87 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjendra View Post
Anyone go from a 4910 to a new 400?

Any impressions, thoughts, comparisons?

Thanks,

Frank
I think DavidHir went from a 4810 IIRC. He loves the 400 (guilty party for getting me thinking about spending $$$), but you could PM him if it doesn't answer here.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #88 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Member
 
YanivZX6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
Hi All

Just buying a DLA-400RS. Need a ceiling mount.

Was looking at Peerless PRG-UNV $98 and Chief RPMA281 $198

Peerless don't say it's compatible but an Amazon reviewer said it is. I'd rather trust you guys :-)

It's my first ceiling mount projector, so I have a few questions
  1. Will the Peerless fit?
  2. Will the Peerless fit?
  3. Is the Chief worth double the price, if so, what are the top benefits?
  4. Do I need to buy an adapter plate with either?


I'll probably be mounting through lathe and plaster to a joist. Do i need a ceiling plate?

TIA

Mark
I have the PRG-UNV with the 400, perfect fit.

1.yes
2.yes
3. i have no idea
3.no
YanivZX6R is offline  
post #89 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Does this sound right for estimated fL's?

16:9 screen at 100"
11 foot throw
1.0 gain (not sure on true gain, going to use a Cinegray 3D screen because of ambient light)
1500 calibrated lumens for RS400

7.27'x4.08'=29.66 sqft

1500 * 1.0 / 29.66 = 50.5 fL max?

Edit, not sure thats right. Wouldn't throw distance figure in there?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #90 of 5637 Old 01-26-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Using this calculator, I get some insanely high fL numbers.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...alculator.html

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400 , DLA-RS500U

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off