Official Sony HW65ES Projector Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redix View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a Sony VPL-HW65.
This is my first projector so I'm still quite inexperienced with the tech.
I was wondering if some of you more experienced users could give me feedback on my projection setup?

As you can see in the picture below, the lower part of the projection is definitely a little distorted and arched.
I think it is mostly visible when looking at the windows taskbar in the second image.
The top part of the projection is also narrower than the bottom part.From what I've read this is called the keystone effect?
I was wondering if this is normal?

Regarding the setup, I've used the integrated Lens Shift to shift the projection as low as possible (to fit with the screen on the wall).
The optic is definitely being pushed to the extreme by the lens shift, which certainly contributes to this effect.
However, even when I shift the projection back up where the optic is in a more "neutral/central" position, I still notice a distortion in the lower part (although to a lesser degree).

The store tells me that this effect is unavoidable as it even happens on their 4k Sony projector?
Could you confirm that this is true?

I would appreciate any feedback.Thank you very much in advance!
Hi.

Seems to me like you need to tilt you projector up at the front a tad. (Ideally it should be level on both axis, not tilted at all). Possibly a longer pole for the mount too?

Size the screen about an inch inside the border of the screen all round, line up the top of the pattern with the top edge of the viewing area of the screen and then line it up (side to side and up and down using lens shift not tilting the unit) and only zoom once it is fully squared up. Then once sized, do the focus.

Never had issues like that on any of my Sony's in the past. Most likely a small bow in the screen material if you ask me.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.

Seems to me like you need to tilt you projector up at the front a tad. (Ideally it should be level on both axis, not tilted at all). Possibly a longer pole for the mount too?

Size the screen about an inch inside the border of the screen all round, line up the top of the pattern with the top edge of the viewing area of the screen and then line it up (side to side and up and down using lens shift not tilting the unit) and only zoom once it is fully squared up. Then once sized, do the focus.

Never had issues like that on any of my Sony's in the past. Most likely a small bow in the screen material if you ask me.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for this, I'll give it a try.
post #63 of 74 Old 04-02-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11707 Post(s)
Liked: 9254
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Right side of your projector, as you look at the screen, needs to be dropped down just a touch, until both sides look the same.
Then you need to tilt the projector down, until the sides are straight.
Then lens shift back onto the frame and adjust size of image as needed to fit frame.

Yes, you do have some bow in the bottom of the image. It could be in the frame, but I am pretty sure it is the projector. It is pretty common. If everything else with the projector looks good, then I would keep it. If it has other problems, I would talk exchange.
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Right side of your projector, as you look at the screen, needs to be dropped down just a touch, until both sides look the same.
Then you need to tilt the projector down, until the sides are straight.
Then lens shift back onto the frame and adjust size of image as needed to fit frame.

Yes, you do have some bow in the bottom of the image. It could be in the frame, but I am pretty sure it is the projector. It is pretty common. If everything else with the projector looks good, then I would keep it. If it has other problems, I would talk exchange.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your insight.
I'm a little confused now, as you seem to recommend the opposite of what Archibald1 offered as solution, unless I misunderstood something?
If I understand correctly, you're recommending to tilt the projector even further while Archibald1 says to level the projector and avoid any tilt at all...

Quote:
Seems to me like you need to tilt you projector up at the front a tad. (Ideally it should be level on both axis, not tilted at all).
Below is a picture of my projector as I have it currently mounted on the ceiling. As Archibald1 mentioned, it is indeed a little tilted towards the bottom on the front side of the projector.

So based on Mike's comment I should further tilt the projector down, but based on Archibald1's comment I should tilt it back up so that it is leveled...
Could somebody please confirm which is the right method? Or are both valid? Am I misunderstanding something?

In any case, thank you for the feedback so far.
post #65 of 74 Old 04-03-2018, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for this, I'll give it a try.
No probs.
Making sure you square the image on each axis (sized slightly inside the border of your screen) before zooming to fit is the best way of doing it. Notwithstanding lens distortions, then you should be able to get it spot on if the projector lens and screen are perfectly perpendicular of course.
post #66 of 74 Old 04-03-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your insight.
I'm a little confused now, as you seem to recommend the opposite of what Archibald1 offered as solution, unless I misunderstood something?
If I understand correctly, you're recommending to tilt the projector even further while Archibald1 says to level the projector and avoid any tilt at all...

Below is a picture of my projector as I have it currently mounted on the ceiling. As Archibald1 mentioned, it is indeed a little tilted towards the bottom on the front side of the projector.

So based on Mike's comment I should further tilt the projector down, but based on Archibald1's comment I should tilt it back up so that it is leveled...
Could somebody please confirm which is the right method? Or are both valid? Am I misunderstanding something?

In any case, thank you for the feedback so far.
Hi.

The manual states and common sense suggests that the projector unit should be level and that lens shift should be used as much as possible to line the screen up.
Any sort of tilt on the unit will mean having to use keystone, which while versatile, is not ideal. It introduces extra picture processing for example and can mean that native pixel mapping is no longer taking place and therefore should be used as minimally as possible.
In your case tilting it down more will result in an even more trapezoidal shape to the picture.
Looking at the picture of your installation, use a spirit level to check your projector is level as the ceiling may not be completely level either.
Ideally the centre of the projector lens would line up with the centre of the screen but as that is mostly impractical in everyday scenarios, that is why lens shift is such a boon.
Just take your time with it and you will get there in the end.
post #67 of 74 Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Hi.

The manual states and common sense suggests that the projector unit should be level and that lens shift should be used as much as possible to line the screen up.
Any sort of tilt on the unit will mean having to use keystone, which while versatile, is not ideal. It introduces extra picture processing for example and can mean that native pixel mapping is no longer taking place and therefore should be used as minimally as possible.
In your case tilting it down more will result in an even more trapezoidal shape to the picture.
Looking at the picture of your installation, use a spirit level to check your projector is level as the ceiling may not be completely level either.
Ideally the centre of the projector lens would line up with the centre of the screen but as that is mostly impractical in everyday scenarios, that is why lens shift is such a boon.
Just take your time with it and you will get there in the end.
Again thank you very much for all your insight, it really helps me understand where the issue might come from.
It definitely makes sense to me that the centre of the projector should ideally line up with the centre of the screen and that you should only rely on lens shift to correct the projection (vs. physically tilting the unit).

As far as I know, they removed the keystone correction feature from the HW65, but even so, I understand you argument why it should be avoided (which is probably why they removed it altogether).

I will use a spirit level to check whether the projector is leveled, although just by looking at it, it definitely seems to be tilted downwards on the front end (which fits your explanation regarding the trapezoidal shape of the projection). Also, very good point on the ceiling maybe not being leveled, I would have definitely missed that
Following this line of though, what if the wall (on which the image is being projected) is not straight? Could this also create a trapezoidal shape or impact the shape of the projection in any way?

In any case, I will try to level the projector and see if this fixes the trapezoidal projection. Once the distortion is solved, I will see if I can still align the projection with the screen.
I fear however that I will require a different - lower - mount, (if I level the unit upwards) as I'm already using the full lens shift to fit with the lower border of the screen.

Anyway, cheers for the quick and informative replies, much appreciated
Archibald1 likes this.
post #68 of 74 Old 04-03-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again thank you very much for all your insight, it really helps me understand where the issue might come from.
It definitely makes sense to me that the centre of the projector should ideally line up with the centre of the screen and that you should only rely on lens shift to correct the projection (vs. physically tilting the unit).

As far as I know, they removed the keystone correction feature from the HW65, but even so, I understand you argument why it should be avoided (which is probably why they removed it altogether).

I will use a spirit level to check whether the projector is leveled, although just by looking at it, it definitely seems to be tilted downwards on the front end (which fits your explanation regarding the trapezoidal shape of the projection). Also, very good point on the ceiling maybe not being leveled, I would have definitely missed that
Following this line of though, what if the wall (on which the image is being projected) is not straight? Could this also create a trapezoidal shape or impact the shape of the projection in any way?

In any case, I will try to level the projector and see if this fixes the trapezoidal projection. Once the distortion is solved, I will see if I can still align the projection with the screen.
I fear however that I will require a different - lower - mount, (if I level the unit upwards) as I'm already using the full lens shift to fit with the lower border of the screen.

Anyway, cheers for the quick and informative replies, much appreciated
Hi.
You are correct, having checked the manual, the keystone control is missing from your model. Bit of an oversight there maybe as it adds a little more versatility than not having it.
You are also correct in that the wall being projected onto may not be perfectly parallel with the lens. In your case it doesn't look like it is out though as the it is not wider on the left than the right and vice versa, it is only slightly wider at the bottom than the top.
This is why siting of the projector for any given room is so crucial. The lens shift feature gives a modicum of protection against oddly shaped rooms.
You also need to remember that you may not get it bang on in any case, and that is how many are I would venture.
I live in a very old house and there are no 90 degree angles anywhere! Quite the challenge.
post #69 of 74 Old 08-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are Sony going to release a VPL-HW75es or some other model in the same tech/price range as the 65ES, or are they going to stick to the VPL-HW45ES range only below 4K now? I've noticed that here in the UK the 65ES appears to be OOP with no new alternatives in that range.
post #70 of 74 Old 08-25-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Are Sony going to release a VPL-HW75es or some other model in the same tech/price range as the 65ES, or are they going to stick to the VPL-HW45ES range only below 4K now? I've noticed that here in the UK the 65ES appears to be OOP with no new alternatives in that range.
I dont think they will release 1080p projectors anymore
post #71 of 74 Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yowza, so you don't think they'll at least keep that entry level 1080p range that's currently on the VPL-HW45ES going? Or do you think they will soon phase that out and introduce a lower-proced 4K projector around the £3000/$3000 range as their new entry-level?

I'm basically in the situation where I can afford a projector up to around £2500, but not really £3000 and above so 4K projectors have not really been on my radar. I'm wondering if I'll have to "bite" on the cheaper 1080p Sony range now while they are in production to at least safeguard a projector purchase for the next 3yrs or more.
post #72 of 74 Old 08-26-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Yowza, so you don't think they'll at least keep that entry level 1080p range that's currently on the VPL-HW45ES going? Or do you think they will soon phase that out and introduce a lower-proced 4K projector around the £3000/$3000 range as their new entry-level?

I'm basically in the situation where I can afford a projector up to around £2500, but not really £3000 and above so 4K projectors have not really been on my radar. I'm wondering if I'll have to "bite" on the cheaper 1080p Sony range now while they are in production to at least safeguard a projector purchase for the next 3yrs or more.
I reckon they will keep on selling the 45 and 65 until they simply don't sell anymore or the price will reduce to 'bargain basement' levels to reflect that 1080 is no longer anything other than completely mainstream and at the lower end.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #73 of 74 Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
what do you guys say how different is the light bleed on corners between different 65Es units ?
post #74 of 74 Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone,

Is there anybody using Sony 65 with apple TV 4? Is frame rate match on ATV works with Sony? Does it really switches the projector's frame rate to match the source?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
5030UB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page