AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official Sony HW65ES Projector Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2290458-official-sony-hw65es-projector-thread.html)

seijen74 01-14-2016 03:01 PM

Official Sony HW65ES Projector Thread

Seems like a good idea to have an official thread for the HW65ES.
Any favourite settings,issues or thoughts are welcome.

FreMo 01-17-2016 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seijen74 (Post 40650338)
Seems like a good idea to have an official thread for the HW65ES.
Any favourite settings,issues or thoughts are welcome.

As far as I am concerned I prefer the Reference preset than the user mode calibrated.
I prefer also the True cinema mode than the motion flow smooth low, even if the 24p looks not fluid but it is better than the camrecorder look of the frame interpolation process...

seijen74 01-17-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreMo (Post 40719490)
As far as I am concerned I prefer the Reference preset than the user mode calibrated.
I prefer also the True cinema mode than the motion flow smooth low, even if the 24p looks not fluid but it is better than the camrecorder look of the frame interpolation process...

I use the same as you. Motion flow is terrible ( the Epson 5030Ub has actually a better, less noticable motion flow). They should really work on creating a better motion flow system which is less noticable, I wouldn't recommend anybody using it.
I actually prefer a bit of natural blur in frames, when motion is too sharp it becomes jerky in 24 frames ( like there are frames missing) and when you use a motion flow which creates inbetween frames it becomes soapy, so either way it looks crap haha
That is also a point in not raising RC and sharpness farther then 20 since it will increase judder.
I have found that using the lag reduction on the projector with a 1080p movie from my computer will have better fluid motion ( less jerky/judder) while you can still increase sharpness/RC (although I would keep it at maximum 20). The projector menu tells me my computer sends out 1080/60p, so perhaps this creates the better motion ???

FreMo 01-17-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seijen74 (Post 40721434)
I use the same as you. Motion flow is terrible ( the Epson 5030Ub has actually a better, less noticable motion flow). They should really work on creating a better motion flow system which is less noticable, I wouldn't recommend anybody using it.
I actually prefer a bit of natural blur in frames, when motion is too sharp it becomes jerky in 24 frames ( like there are frames missing) and when you use a motion flow which creates inbetween frames it becomes soapy, so either way it looks crap haha
That is also a point in not raising RC and sharpness farther then 20 since it will increase judder.
I have found that using the lag reduction on the projector with a 1080p movie from my computer will have better fluid motion ( less jerky/judder) while you can still increase sharpness/RC (although I would keep it at maximum 20). The projector menu tells me my computer sends out 1080/60p, so perhaps this creates the better motion ???

I wonder why there not a gradual setting from 0 to 100 for instance for the motion flow instead of 3 because off, smooth low and high are not enough. Smooth low is already too much for me and provides too fluid and unnatural motion.

FreMo 01-17-2016 08:56 AM

As far as fluidity is concerned, I wonder if 24p is really a good thing. I think I rather prefer the 60i.
In 24p vertical travelling looks even more terrible...

seijen74 01-17-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreMo (Post 40723962)
As far as fluidity is concerned, I wonder if 24p is really a good thing. I think I rather prefer the 60i.
In 24p vertical travelling looks even more terrible...

Do you know if there are any bluray players which can convert a 24p disc to 60i output ?

FreMo 01-17-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seijen74 (Post 40724818)
Do you know if there are any bluray players which can convert a 24p disc to 60i output ?

I was talking about 60i of the dvd but I don t even know what s happen when the blu ray player 24p option is turned off, because I always see 1080p24 on the projector's display menu.

Tsunamijhoe 01-20-2016 05:19 AM

As a current owner of this projector, beware of lamp flickering. I have had a longer discussion with my retailer and Sony, and the 2 options they give me to "make me happy" in their words,is a full refund,or a replacement of the projector!
Needless to say,i am returning this unit,as Sony has made NO attempt to fix the flickering from previous models..

denisoftus 01-21-2016 01:12 PM

Wondering if anyone else here experienced this issue, I'm still at 5 hours, but the store I bought it from assured me they take it back should flickering issue occur. Will see.

smorsm3 01-29-2016 03:41 PM

What settings on the Contrast Enhancer do people use? Should I just have it turned off completely and use the Dynamic Iris?

FreMo 01-31-2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smorsm3 (Post 41098138)
What settings on the Contrast Enhancer do people use? Should I just have it turned off completely and use the Dynamic Iris?

I don t use contrast enhancer neither dynamic iris since I calibrated my projector to have a linear gamma close to 2.2. But these two options should provide quite good results at low value.

WarrenBerry 01-31-2016 11:12 AM

I had some flicker too but it seems to be gone now. Usually happened when I went from a 3D movie ( high lamp mode) to a 2D or game( low lamp mode).

I now have it almost exclusively in low lamp mode sans problems. I usually dont run the projector after a 3D movie( bed time)

I also just run two presets. Either movie mode or game for gaming. I find the low input lag really good for gaming on this projector.

jelt 01-31-2016 07:43 PM

Has anyone compared this to the 55ES? I have that now..

Michael Medeiros 02-10-2016 11:57 AM

Has anyone noticed and noise other than fan coming from the internals of the pj? I hear a medium pitched buzzing like a similar sound of a florescent bulb.

seijen74 02-11-2016 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Medeiros (Post 41432489)
Has anyone noticed and noise other than fan coming from the internals of the pj? I hear a medium pitched buzzing like a similar sound of a florescent bulb.

I run in high lamp mode. PJ is very quiet. I havent heared any noises.

Frohlich 02-11-2016 03:42 AM

I just sold the HW50 and moved to the HW65. Wanted to stay in the Sony family because of the low lag for gaming. Definite improvement in brightness and contrast.

I notice a little more fan noise than the HW50 but I believe that is mainly because they moved the fan from facing backwards to forwards in this model so it comes more into the room for me. Certainly not a whining/buzz noise with my unit...just regular fan noise.

Michael Medeiros 02-11-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seijen74 (Post 41452473)
I run in high lamp mode. PJ is very quiet. I havent heared any noises.

Damn i wonder what this could be. I confirmed it was not the front fan. Has to be the lamp. It coming from the direct center of the unit. I was hoping the lamp needed some burn in time but the sound has not gone away after 30 hours. Might grab another bulb for testing.

Michael Medeiros 02-15-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Medeiros (Post 41458857)
Damn i wonder what this could be. I confirmed it was not the front fan. Has to be the lamp. It coming from the direct center of the unit. I was hoping the lamp needed some burn in time but the sound has not gone away after 30 hours. Might grab another bulb for testing.

Its a centrifugal fan in the rear of the pj which is an exhaust for the lamp. The sound is extremely annoying! Going to call Sony for a possible replacement fan.

echols8 03-13-2016 11:33 AM

Hey Guys, If I get an anamorphic lens for my HW65, will I need to remove lens to watch 16.9 material?

denisoftus 03-14-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echols8 (Post 42359425)
Hey Guys, If I get an anamorphic lens for my HW65, will I need to remove lens to watch 16.9 material?

Yes, you do, that is why they come with motor to operate anamorphic lens. There is a thread about it.

Frohlich 03-14-2016 05:45 PM

Another very favorable review for the HW65.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...B3kd1T0qkQu.97

Mike Garrett 03-15-2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echols8 (Post 42359425)

You can have a fixed in place lens using the 4:3 button on the projector to watch 16:9 content or you can use a slide to move the lens to the side, when watching 16:9 content. I have used both methods. I currently have a powered lens slide.

RobTi 04-25-2016 02:29 AM

I'm thinking of buying this projector. How's the 3D playback? I've read about annoying blinking/flickering of sorts every few seconds and projector central also criticized its 3D capabilities.

The Sony ticks all the other boxes, such as low input lag, but 3D is a pretty big deal for me too. Is the 3D aspect on the 45ES any better?

Colozeus 04-25-2016 08:00 AM

I'm on my second hw65es. Had to return the first one due to really bad panel alignment and flickering. So far this second unit is ok. Better alignment but it appears to have focus uniformity issues.

RobTi 04-25-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colozeus (Post 43547658)
I'm on my second hw65es. Had to return the first one due to really bad panel alignment and flickering. So far this second unit is ok. Better alignment but it appears to have focus uniformity issues.

Geez.. :/ I'm thinking of forking out some more JVC perhaps, and a cheaper low input lag PJ for gaming. Can't fathom how many complaints I've seen about Sony's projectors lately. Doesn't give me much confidence in purchasing.

smorsm3 04-27-2016 07:29 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation on what 3D glasses a person should purchase for this projector?

Colozeus 04-30-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobTi (Post 43552322)
Geez.. :/ I'm thinking of forking out some more JVC perhaps, and a cheaper low input lag PJ for gaming. Can't fathom how many complaints I've seen about Sony's projectors lately. Doesn't give me much confidence in purchasing.

Yeah, i was actually considering this too. I should have kept the last epson 5030 i went through. It had perfect panel alignment and focus. I only switched to the sony for better input lag since i do quite a lot of gaming on both PC and ps4 in my theater.

I might just keep this projector. I've been messing with it over the last week or so and after some further adjustments i seem to have more uniform focus. Honestly, i'm getting tired of mounting and messing with projectors.

RobTi 04-30-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colozeus (Post 43677266)
Yeah, i was actually considering this too. I should have kept the last epson 5030 i went through. It had perfect panel alignment and focus. I only switched to the sony for better input lag since i do quite a lot of gaming on both PC and ps4 in my theater.

I might just keep this projector. I've been messing with it over the last week or so and after some further adjustments i seem to have more uniform focus. Honestly, i'm getting tired of mounting and messing with projectors.

I've decided to skip the JVC's due to the required throw distance of my room. I'll likely go for the VW520ES. Will use a HW40ES for gaming as it's input lag is reported as low as 24ms, which is even faster than my TV.

James 56 05-12-2016 03:37 PM

My old Marantz is starting to act up. I am thinking about getting this projector. How is this projector for movies, sports and gaming? Does it really have 1,800 lumens? That is a lot brighter than my Marantz.

JeremyR 06-06-2016 05:15 PM

If anyone has experience with the 40es, how does reality creation 2 on the 65es compare with it? Can you tell a difference? 40es seemed to sharpen everything, even continuous tones like the sky which introduced noise, curious if rc2 does a better job there or not.