Resources for determining value of rare high-end projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Resources for determining value of rare high-end projectors?

Any recommendations on the best market for selling quite old but (at the time) high end 3-chip DLP 1080p projectors meant for auditorium type use, and how to find ballpark value?

Its a Digital Projection Titan 1080p-500, which had an original MSRP of $51,995... but, that was back in 2006, and we all know how quickly electronics depreciate.

Of course I checked on projector central first, but they list no used value:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Digi..._1080p-500.htm

The next obvious idea was to look at completed Ebay listings, but only "shells" of this old flagship model have sold, in poor condition, with no optics, and no bulb which doesn't tell me much. I have a very low hour bulb (forget exact at the moment), fully functioning unit in like-new condition, so I have no idea.

I was thinking Craigslist, because this thing is an absolute tank so it would be great to demo it to someone and have them pay on the spot locally, but I have a feeling that this may be such a rare beast that this may be challenging as well and wouldn't know a fair asking price.

Any pro-tips or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
Any recommendations on the best market for selling quite old but (at the time) high end 3-chip DLP 1080p projectors meant for auditorium type use, and how to find ballpark value?

Its a Digital Projection Titan 1080p-500, which had an original MSRP of $51,995... but, that was back in 2006, and we all know how quickly electronics depreciate.

Of course I checked on projector central first, but they list no used value:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Digi..._1080p-500.htm

The next obvious idea was to look at completed Ebay listings, but only "shells" of this old flagship model have sold, in poor condition, with no optics, and no bulb which doesn't tell me much. I have a very low hour bulb (forget exact at the moment), fully functioning unit in like-new condition, so I have no idea.

I was thinking Craigslist, because this thing is an absolute tank so it would be great to demo it to someone and have them pay on the spot locally, but I have a feeling that this may be such a rare beast that this may be challenging as well and wouldn't know a fair asking price.

Any pro-tips or thoughts?
Audiogon.com? I see a number of high-end but old projectors listing there (Runco, Barco).
post #3 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 87
That old 2K thing? It's a boat anchor...totally worthless. But tell you what I'm going to do...to save you the trouble of recycling it responsibly (what with the mercury content and all), I'm willing to take it off your hands and pay for shipping from you to me. I'll send you a call tag and everything. I trust you still have the original carton and packing material?

Last edited by Pete; 04-15-2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: additional words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That old 2K thing? It's a boat anchor...totally worthless. But tell you what I'm going to do...to save you the trouble of recycling it responsibly (what with the mercury content and all), I'm willing to take it off your hands and pay for shipping from you to me. I'll send you a call tag and everything. I trust you still have the original carton and packing material?
That's very altruistic offering to save me the expense of recycling it, especially since I don't have the original shipping box anymore. I was really afraid you guys were going to charge me a hefty fee, as there was a rumor there were some cheapskates on the forum.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12701 Post(s)
Liked: 10321
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
That's very altruistic offering to save me the expense of recycling it, especially since I don't have the original shipping box anymore. I was really afraid you guys were going to charge me a hefty fee, as there was a rumor there were some cheapskates on the forum.
Pete being the nice guy that he is, would probably even pay for the shipping company to package it up for you.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Look at it this way Ducman.
The contrast specs on the Titan are 2000:1
Fan noise is 42 dB
There's no iris
etc..

The Panasonic PT-AE8000 has a contrast of 500,000:1 (overinflated spec probably, but still more them the Titan)
Fan noise is 22dB and it has an iris.
Plus a longer lamp life at a price of 1699.00$ with a full warranty.

Why would someone even pay 1699.00 for your Titan ?
Yeah it was 50,000.00, but that doesn't mean anything.

I would look at the Titan as the same as a Sliver Shadow Rolls Royce.
Expensive at the time, well made, over designed, heavy, costly to maintain.
Not the prettiest one to look at.

You would be hard pressed to give a Shadow away now.
Heavy, costly and very complex car to maintain, old specs, gas guzzler, out-dated slab sided body.

You may find someone on eBay, that hasn't done their homework and get some money, but no one here is going to bite or tell you it's worth 20, 10, or even 5,000.00$
Sorry...

EDIT.
In 1967 when the Shadow was released it was 6557 British Pounds, that equates to about 110,000, pounds.
Exchange that to Can. dollar and you get around 200,000.00$

You can pick up a Shadow in descent condition for around 20 to 25,000.00$ Can. the last time I checked.
Personally I would pay 2 cents for one.

Last edited by JeffR1; 04-15-2016 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I typically search an item on ebay, then go advanced, click the sold option and search. Make sure the item did sell and not just end.. Should give a fairly accurate idea

Looks like $1000

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&LH_Complete=1

I would think this is something that would be of value to a band that wants to do a larger rear projection or other larger venue like a church.. From a quick google, and not looking at quality, lamps range in price from $700-$1300 so not very apealing to anyone.
Then again, it is not a home theater projector at 6000 lumen..

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Last edited by airscapes; 04-15-2016 at 02:41 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Look at it this way Ducman.
The contrast specs on the Titan are 2000:1
Fan noise is 42 dB
There's no iris
etc..

The Panasonic PT-AE8000 has a contrast of 500,000:1 (overinflated spec probably, but still more them the Titan)
Fan noise is 22dB and it has an iris.
Plus a longer lamp life at a price of 1699.00$ with a full warranty.
50,000:1 is complete and utter BS, it's actually in the same ballpark as the Titan (per Cine4Home), but the Titan will have a much higher ANSI contrast. I think most say the DI on the Panasonic isn't good enough to use. It's massively brighter than the Panasonic, has much better lens, doesn't have blurscreen (I mean Smoothscreen), so it will provide a sharper, brighter punchier image.

Quote:
Why would someone even pay 1699.00 for your Titan ?
For $1600, I'd rather have a Titan than a Panasonic any day.

Of course I wouldn't buy either for $1600 personally, I don't have a use for a Titan, and I don't think the Panasonic is a very good projector, especially not for the money.

But the Titan would make a great option for those backyard projection setups I see people asking about. Like this guy might be interested:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...al-screen.html
The Titan would be a better fit for that application than just about anything else you could buy for $1000-2000.

Last edited by stanger89; 04-15-2016 at 03:07 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I typically search an item on ebay, then go advanced, click the sold option and search. Make sure the item did sell and not just end.. Should give a fairly accurate idea

Looks like $1000

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&LH_Complete=1
Same here, that was the first thing I had done.

The new bulb alone is around $1K-1.5K sold separately (I know, as we had just purchased it).

The units you linked that successfully sold for $1200-2000 didn't include bulbs or optics with some damage to the cases and other missing components, and I'm pretty sure are intended for parts. I couldn't find a working unit that sold, although they have some lower end 250 models for $7K right now (but not sold).

The SX+500 model, I believe is different unit as it sold for considerably less when new and had a lower 4:3 aspect ratio resolution and listed CR than the 1080p-500:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Digi...AN_sx+_500.htm

SX+500
Native Resolution: 1400x1050
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (SXGA+)

VS

1080p-500
Native Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)

I do agree, its not for us though, as it does have a loud fan and weighs a ton... even the optics on this thing are probably 20 lbs. Sure does make a crisp image with high brightness though! Be great for someone's church, auditorium, or extra large conference room where they want to blow up the image REALLY big.

Thanks guys, I think I'll try $5K or so local and throw it up on that audio site and perhaps ebay if it doesn't sell right away. Wish me luck.

PS: BTW, the contrast ratio is very confusing to me. My cheapo Optoma HD131Xe has a 18000:1 CR but doesn't look anywhere as good as this lowly 2000:1 CR old-school beast. Perhaps the bulb brightness is a factor. *shrugs*
post #10 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
50,000:1 is complete and utter BS, it's actually in the same ballpark as the Titan (per Cine4Home), but the Titan will have a much higher ANSI contrast. I think most say the DI on the Panasonic isn't good enough to use. It's massively brighter than the Panasonic, has much better lens, doesn't have blurscreen (I mean Smoothscreen), so it will provide a sharper, brighter punchier image.

For $1600, I'd rather have a Titan than a Panasonic any day.

Of course I wouldn't buy either for $1600 personally, I don't have a use for a Titan, and I don't think the Panasonic is a very good projector, especially not for the money.

But the Titan would make a great option for those backyard projection setups I see people asking about. Like this guy might be interested:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...al-screen.html
The Titan would be a better fit for that application than just about anything else you could buy for $1000-2000.
Maybe the OP has a starting price of 1600.00$ then ? Lamps still very expensive though...
Maybe start the biding at 5000.00$.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Maybe the OP has a starting price of 1600.00$ then ? Lamps still very expensive though...
Maybe start the biding at 5000.00$.
I'd much rather have a used JVC RS500 for a little less than that. It's a really fantastic projector.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'd much rather have a used JVC RS500 for a little less than that. It's a really fantastic projector.
Yeah, I could have picked a better example then a Panny 8000, if that's what you mean and you may have meant it even with out realizing.
I got a bit of a smack in the head from stranger.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-16-2016, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I could have picked a better example then a Panny 8000, if that's what you mean and you may have meant it even with out realizing.
I got a bit of a smack in the head from stranger.
No, I was referring to the "Maybe start the biding at 5000.00$" comment about the Titan. A used JVC RS500 is a little under $5,000.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-16-2016, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
To each their own. I think these units are still quite solid and are excellent quality. However, you would have to find someone with a specific need for a unit like this. Good luck on getting good dollars for the unit. It is an excellent piece. One of the problems now it that projectors have gotten so good that now we have a lot of good choices at reasonable prices. I would that a 3 chip DLP any day of the week though but that is just a personal preference.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-16-2016, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
To each their own. I think these units are still quite solid and are excellent quality. However, you would have to find someone with a specific need for a unit like this. Good luck on getting good dollars for the unit. It is an excellent piece. One of the problems now it that projectors have gotten so good that now we have a lot of good choices at reasonable prices. I would that a 3 chip DLP any day of the week though but that is just a personal preference.
They are beautiful machines for sure. If only it had 1/10th the contrast of modern machines I'd pay $10k for it in a heartbeat.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-17-2016, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I would think this is something that would be of value to a band that wants to do a larger rear projection or other larger venue like a church.. From a quick google, and not looking at quality, lamps range in price from $700-$1300 so not very apealing to anyone.
Then again, it is not a home theater projector at 6000 lumen..
I think this is your best bet. You might even want to donate it and use it as a tax write off.

If I was using this in a dedicated HT, then I would take this over a Panny every day of the week. I am a on/off cr junky, but I would deal with it. This pj is better in just about every other metric.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #17 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 298
So, whatever happened?

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page