AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Screen size? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2460218-screen-size.html)

huskerbear 05-21-2016 06:17 AM

Screen size?
 
Hello, I'm in the planning stage of my home theater. I am thinking of a projector like this, JVC DLA-X550R D-ILA. My room is big (24x24x9ft), I'm trying to decide on screen size. Is bigger always better? My tendency would probably be to go as big as possible, 180"? Will I kill picture quality going that big? Pros vs cons? Thanks

Seegs108 05-21-2016 06:35 AM

A 180" unity gain screen is about as big as one should go if paired with a X550. In it's brightest mode and setup for the most lumens, you're looking at around 1800 lumens. This means you can expect ~19ftL on a screen this size. That's decently bright and will give you some wiggle room as far the lamp dimming over time.

huskerbear 05-21-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seegs108 (Post 44185354)
A 180" unity gain screen is about as big as one should go if paired with a X550. In it's brightest mode and setup for the most lumens, you're looking at around 1800 lumens. This means you can expect ~19ftL on a screen this size. That's decently bright and will give you some wiggle room as far the lamp dimming over time.

Sorry for the dumb questions just trying to understand. "unity gain screen-19ftL"?? So the more lumens the bigger the screen? Seems like Iv'e seen some cheap projectors with 3000 lumens, this is where I'm getting confused. Do I want higher gain for 3D? Thanks

Seegs108 05-21-2016 08:47 AM

A unity gain screen is one that reflects back as much light as you project on it, even at wide viewing angles. This is a 1.0 gain. If you're looking at different screen materials they will almost always list what the gain of the screen is. If the screen has a 0.8 gain that means you're only going to get .8x the amount of light reflected back to the viewer. Or a 1.3 would be 1.3x the amount of light reflected back to the viewer. So yes, the more lumens you have, the larger the screen size you can typically go. For 3D, generally speaking, the brighter the better the viewing experience.

Mike Garrett 05-21-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44185130)
Hello, I'm in the planning stage of my home theater. I am thinking of a projector like this, JVC DLA-X550R D-ILA. My room is big (24x24x9ft), I'm trying to decide on screen size. Is bigger always better? My tendency would probably be to go as big as possible, 180"? Will I kill picture quality going that big? Pros vs cons? Thanks

With that size screen, I would want a screen with a little gain, so that you can have good lamp life. Something between 1.1 and 1.3 gain. If we can help you, give us a call.

huskerbear 05-21-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Garrett (Post 44192226)
With that size screen, I would want a screen with a little gain, so that you can have good lamp life. Something between 1.1 and 1.3 gain. If we can help you, give us a call.

Iv'e read higher gain is better for 3D? and it sounds like it's better for light levels, so what's the payoff? Why would somebody go with .8 or 1.0? Sorry just trying to understand, Thanks for your reply!

Seegs108 05-21-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44192586)
Iv'e read higher gain is better for 3D? and it sounds like it's better for light levels, so what's the payoff? Why would somebody go with .8 or 1.0? Sorry just trying to understand, Thanks for your reply!

Typically speaking a screen with a higher gain has more optical coatings on it to get that extra gain. These optical coatings more often then not can be seen on the screen material, especially during brighter movie/TV scenes as there's more light hitting the screen compared to a darker movie/TV scene. Often these optical coatings look like sparkles and/or grain. And typically speaking the closer to 1.0 and sometimes a little less than 1.0 the screen materials look more transparent and without any artifacts. That is, you're seeing more of what the projector is projecting and less of what the screen "looks like". It's a much smoother material that holds less back from the projected image.

Mike Garrett 05-21-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44192586)
Iv'e read higher gain is better for 3D? and it sounds like it's better for light levels, so what's the payoff? Why would somebody go with .8 or 1.0? Sorry just trying to understand, Thanks for your reply!

180" and 1.0 gain, forget about much 3D. You will not have enough brightness for that.

huskerbear 05-22-2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Garrett (Post 44194418)
180" and 1.0 gain, forget about much 3D. You will not have enough brightness for that.

Sorry, most movies I watch will be in 3D. What do I need to adjust, better projector or smaller screen? Anybody have this projector, or similar have an opinion of 3D with it and what screen you are using?....Thanks for the replies

Javs 05-22-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44203186)
Sorry, most movies I watch will be in 3D. What do I need to adjust, better projector or smaller screen? Anybody have this projector, or similar have an opinion of 3D with it and what screen you are using?....Thanks for the replies



X550? Is that an RS400/X5000?

180 is gigantic. That would be so cool, great for 2d but you will probably lose 60% of the light through the glasses. You probably want 130/140 max for 3d.

DavidHir 05-22-2016 08:36 AM

97 Attachment(s)
180" would be amazing. I don't watch 3D, so 1.0 gain would probably work for me with an RS500 and I don't like a very bright image. Even something closer to 160" would be great. In several years, I'll likely be moving and will make sure my next house can accommodate something close to that.

I'm at 117.4" diagonal scope today and it's great, but doesn't seem as big anymore. :eek:

roxiedog13 05-22-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44203186)
Sorry, most movies I watch will be in 3D. What do I need to adjust, better projector or smaller screen? Anybody have this projector, or similar have an opinion of 3D with it and what screen you are using?....Thanks for the replies


I have the Sony VW500, the light output identical to the projector you are considering. I do watch 3D when I can, turns out for me that is about 25% of the time. I have optimized my setup to try to have best of both worlds for 2D and 3D one screen only .


My current screen is 122" wide or 134" diagonal the format 2.35:1. The screen material is the Draper Tecvision X1800 which is a 1.8 gain ,white screen material,direct reflecting. Mt screen is curved, has a 36ft radius .


The 3D on this screen high lamp mode is just adequate . For bright cartoon type movies that has a lot of color pop and brightness you will be pleased . For movies like Spider Man, it does the job, Tron and other really dark movies even this screen gain and size will not be enough.


Choices for your situation are: 1) do as I have done, certainly no bigger screen but best compromise for one screen. 2) Have two screens, one unity gain, the second super high gain in the 2X gain area. Not possible for dual curved but for electric or manual pull down this is a great compromise .


One more thing. My theater is really dark and I have 100% light control. I would assume that most of the suggestions given are based on a 100% light controlled
dedicated home theater. Add light pollution to that room and all the suggestions go out the window. You can only have the largest screen possible when the room is
optimized ,basically. The projector will have to be moved to the closest possible throw range for optimal brightness, might as well tell you that now for planning purposes.

huskerbear 05-22-2016 10:37 AM

Thanks all ^^^^ I have a lot to learn. That huge screen sounds great, and I'd like to just have one fixed screen. Maybe there is a good compromise that will work? Or a brighter projector? My room has zero light so totally controllable. I have quite a collection of 3D discs but once I'm thru those it will probably be more 2D than 3D, since they seem to be trying to kill it off, in the U.S anyway. Would be nice if there was a chart you could plug in different projectors and screens along with room conditions to figure out what will work. I don't believe there are any home theater design centers near me lol..

muzz 05-22-2016 01:48 PM

Coderguy has tool you can use for Lumens, search his name in this forum.

huskerbear 05-23-2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzz (Post 44212690)
Coderguy has tool you can use for Lumens, search his name in this forum.

Thanks I'll check that out.

stanger89 05-23-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44185130)
Hello, I'm in the planning stage of my home theater. I am thinking of a projector like this, JVC DLA-X550R D-ILA. My room is big (24x24x9ft), I'm trying to decide on screen size. Is bigger always better? My tendency would probably be to go as big as possible, 180"? Will I kill picture quality going that big? Pros vs cons? Thanks

Consider the whole viewing experience, just because you have the room to go that big doesn't mean you have to, or that you should. What sort of seating are you planning? How many people? How many chairs across, etc? Remember that you can place your seating closer to the screen and have a similar sense of immersion that you would with a larger screen and a larger viewing distance. This would allow you to run a smaller screen, to have more brightness for 3D but still a similar experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44208578)
Thanks all ^^^^ I have a lot to learn. That huge screen sounds great, and I'd like to just have one fixed screen. Maybe there is a good compromise that will work? Or a brighter projector? My room has zero light so totally controllable. I have quite a collection of 3D discs but once I'm thru those it will probably be more 2D than 3D, since they seem to be trying to kill it off, in the U.S anyway. Would be nice if there was a chart you could plug in different projectors and screens along with room conditions to figure out what will work. I don't believe there are any home theater design centers near me lol..

You're going to have a hard time finding a brighter projector without spending a lot of money. Let me qualify that, a brighter Home Theater projector. There are lots of business class projectors with enormous light output, but they have comparably terrible contrast. The RS400/X550 you're looking at is capable of >100,000:1 contrast with the dynamic iris enabled (>20,000:1 without it), if you want more light output with respectable contrast/black level, you're basically going to have to increase your budget to >$20k, and be looking at things like DPI and Barco.

The other option is to look at a screen with gain, like Mike said, a screen with more like 1.3 gain. That effectively makes any given projector 30% brighter (1.3 gain), which would help with 3D. I think there are even brighter materials out there, which would be even better for 3D (like the no-longer available DaLite High Power), but you'll have to see if you're OK with the artifacts that come with those high-gain screens.

huskerbear 05-24-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger89 (Post 44225938)
Consider the whole viewing experience, just because you have the room to go that big doesn't mean you have to, or that you should. What sort of seating are you planning? How many people? How many chairs across, etc? Remember that you can place your seating closer to the screen and have a similar sense of immersion that you would with a larger screen and a larger viewing distance. This would allow you to run a smaller screen, to have more brightness for 3D but still a similar experience.



You're going to have a hard time finding a brighter projector without spending a lot of money. Let me qualify that, a brighter Home Theater projector. There are lots of business class projectors with enormous light output, but they have comparably terrible contrast. The RS400/X550 you're looking at is capable of >100,000:1 contrast with the dynamic iris enabled (>20,000:1 without it), if you want more light output with respectable contrast/black level, you're basically going to have to increase your budget to >$20k, and be looking at things like DPI and Barco.

The other option is to look at a screen with gain, like Mike said, a screen with more like 1.3 gain. That effectively makes any given projector 30% brighter (1.3 gain), which would help with 3D. I think there are even brighter materials out there, which would be even better for 3D (like the no-longer available DaLite High Power), but you'll have to see if you're OK with the artifacts that come with those high-gain screens.

Most of the time it is just the 2 of us watching.......99% of the time. I was planning on 3 rows anyway with 2-3 nice theater chairs up front and I have a nice leather sofa and love seat we no longer use, so I was going to use those for the other rows. It would be nice if I could see a demo of different screens, 3D/2D. I spent a little time trying to figure out coders projector calculator but haven't figured out what info I can get out of it. Is it possible to use a 180" screen for most things (2D) then decrease the amount of the screen you are using (within the same screen) for 3D? Thanks for the replies.

Mike Garrett 05-24-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskerbear (Post 44250210)
Most of the time it is just the 2 of us watching.......99% of the time. I was planning on 3 rows anyway with 2-3 nice theater chairs up front and I have a nice leather sofa and love seat we no longer use, so I was going to use those for the other rows. It would be nice if I could see a demo of different screens, 3D/2D. I spent a little time trying to figure out coders projector calculator but haven't figured out what info I can get out of it. Is it possible to use a 180" screen for most things (2D) then decrease the amount of the screen you are using (within the same screen) for 3D? Thanks for the replies.

Yes, you can go 180" for 2D and then use lens memory to reduce the size for 3D, to gain brightness. If you would like to discuss, give us a call.

erkq 05-24-2016 07:30 PM

I totally agree with stranger89. With a 180" screen and 3D you are headed into big money, and may be unnessesarily so. You have a big room, but how many people are going to be watching at one time? It isn't the size that counts, it's the angle of view. With a big screen more people can have a good angle of view. With my 10' wide screen 8 people can have a good angle of view. The "house" is very rarely full. When you are sitting and actually watching it will be a very similar experience and your pocket book will thank you many times over.

So... if you just want the "cool" factor of a huge screen, that's fine. But it will cost you. I don't think the JVCs are up to it and you have to go considerably (3 or 4 times) more expensive to get brighter. Even the uber expensive Sony 4k pjs are not appreciably brighter... just 10% brighter than my excellent RS500 that cost 1/5th the price.

stanger89 05-25-2016 04:53 AM

Yeah, for an average of 2 people, you might want to think about a more "intimate" size, both screen and overall size (seating distances, etc).

That said, like Mike points out, you can use the Lens Memory to shrink the image for 3D which would get you more brightness for 3D.

huskerbear 05-28-2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger89 (Post 44278234)
Yeah, for an average of 2 people, you might want to think about a more "intimate" size, both screen and overall size (seating distances, etc).

That said, like Mike points out, you can use the Lens Memory to shrink the image for 3D which would get you more brightness for 3D.

i'm thinking I like big over intimate, heck my dogs are Great Danes lol. As long as that projector can do 2D at 180" and I can shrink it for 3D that might be my answer?

Haven't had much time to play with that calculator but I did notice it was recommending the screen be 2ft off the floor? that would kill the 180", I think?
Thank's for the replies!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.