AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Sony presented at IFA its new VPL-VW550ES pojector (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2561313-sony-presented-ifa-its-new-vpl-vw550es-pojector.html)

drdig 08-27-2016 12:21 AM

Sony presents at the IFA its new VPL-VW550ES projector
 
The web projection-homecinema.fr has announced at IFA 2015, namely September 1, 2016 at 13:00 (CET), Sony will launch its new VPL-VW550ES (European nomenclature).

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...y-vpl-vw550es/

So that it explains the news, and as many suspected, this new projector will be released to 'cover' the shortcomings of the problematic model VPL-VW520ES (665ES in USA), which has proven to be one of the worst manufactured projectors in the journey of Sony in this sector.

Thus, and as indicated by the news, it is expected that the 550ES model solve all failures 520ES (665ES) in reference to the low light with content HDR, problems colorimetry with HDR, color profile REC2020, failures with fluctuation lamp, noise in the first 30 minutes of operation, etc., etc.

All failures indicated in the model 520ES (665ES) could not be solved with the different updates Sony has been taking during 2016.
Moreover, Sony blamed Samsung blame the poor quality playback of content from discs HDR UHD Blu-ray in the UBD-K8500 player, claiming that it did not meet the standards HDR.

It is clear that Sony has deceived buyers a huge amount of money was spent, which are now as your projector 520ES (665ES) is completely obsolete, especially for playing BD UHD content with HDR.

Will they 520ES users (665ES) something about it?

Ideally file a joint complaint to Sony to show them that feel cheated by the brand.

What is clear is that having taken the new VPL-VW550ES model, Sony is admitting that he goofed with the VPL-VW520ES.


Sorry for my English. I use Google Translate

hasta666 08-27-2016 04:41 AM

Sony presented at IFA its new VPL-VW550ES pojector
 
From what I read, 520 users who updated their PJ to the last japanese firmware are quite happy now with HDR contents. I think it is more like a planned refresh than a bug correction. I think we can expect more light output but nothing revolutionary. I will follow closely the announce to see if an upgrade from my 320 makes sense. But I am also quite happy with mine so I will probably stick with it another year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seegs108 08-27-2016 06:08 AM

Supposedly the newest firmware fixes the issues. We'll have to see if there are any contrast or brightness changes to this new model compared to the 665ES.

maglito 08-27-2016 09:52 AM

As I understand it most UHD bluray problems with the 515/520/665 are due to the Samsung player seeing a 10.2Gbps HDMI link and not a full HDMI 2.0 18Gbps link and not offering the correct display modes to the projector as a result.

I believe this Sony line is one of a few displays (perhaps the only one) that claims (attempted) to implement HDR / REC2020 support over the older HDMI 10.2Gbps chips and it has proven to be mistake.

If the new 550 (2016 5XX/6XX 4k pj line) finally updates the HDMI chips to 18Gbps (like they should have last year), these compatibility issues should be a thing of the past. Personally I would say Sony should exchange the 2015 line for the 2016 or at least offer a steep discount on a Sony UHD Bluray player that fully supports this HDR over old HDMI implementation.

I'm thinking of going to CEDIA to see the refreshed 2016 Sony vs mass market 4k DLP vs the highly anticipated JVC laser ( BLU Escent ).

The 4k laser JVC will likely be beyond what I can justify financially.

If the Sony finally has 18Gbps HDMI I'll consider it (along with a quiet plumbed-to-drain dehumidifier).

I'm afraid these first gen 4k DLP units will either not be bright enough (1st gen HLD LED) or still have rainbows (lamp units).

If the 2015 Sony line had 18Gbps HDMI I'd have already had one.

The next three weeks should be very interesting.

W.Mayer 08-27-2016 01:39 PM

I have a 520 just install at my Holiday house 4 weeks ago and it looks very good.
At home I have a Sony 5000 and other pr. and the 520 perform good compare to this projectors.
For the Price the Sony 520 cost I think at least my unit was a very good one.

zombie10k 08-28-2016 07:22 AM

hopefully it's a fair assumption that the new model will have the full 18GB HDMI chipset. We should find out on Sept 1 @ IFA

Shepardos 08-28-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 46373929)
hopefully it's a fair assumption that the new model will have the full 18GB HDMI chipset. We should find out on Sept 1 @ IFA



And at least 2xxx lumen!

Bandyka 08-28-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maglito (Post 46358633)
As I understand it most UHD bluray problems with the 515/520/665 are due to the Samsung player seeing a 10.2Gbps HDMI link and not a full HDMI 2.0 18Gbps link and not offering the correct display modes to the projector as a result.

.

Yes this is correct. Those issues are not there with other players so the original article is misleading. However it will be nice to se a full 18Gbps chip in the new PJ I suspect it wil based on the the 5000ES' tech which is good. Hopefully we will get all of the motion options in 4K mode not just "impulse" which is useless, for that alone I may upgrade.

FreMo 08-30-2016 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdig (Post 46353001)
It is clear that Sony has deceived buyers a huge amount of money was spent, which are now as your projector 520ES (665ES) is completely obsolete, especially for playing BD UHD content with HDR.

Will they 520ES users (665ES) something about it?

Ideally file a joint complaint to Sony to show them that feel cheated by the brand.

What is clear is that having taken the new VPL-VW550ES model, Sony is admitting that he goofed with the VPL-VW520ES.


Sorry for my English. I use Google Translate


Concerning the shortcomings of the 520 for playing uhd blu ray contents, from my point of view you don t buy a several thousands $$$$ on the last chain link (display device) while the first one (source) and its specifications are not still finalized...

Eternal_Sunshine 08-31-2016 10:08 AM

Looks like not too many changes …

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...VW550_Test.htm

Seegs108 08-31-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine (Post 46451753)
Looks like not too many changes …

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...VW550_Test.htm

Looks like just an update to the HDMI input. Hopefully we get all the details tomorrow!

Eternal_Sunshine 08-31-2016 10:52 AM

Higher dynamic contrast supposedly … but remains to be seen if native CR is better or just a more aggressive DI.

maglito 08-31-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine (Post 46453113)
Higher dynamic contrast supposedly … but remains to be seen if native CR is better or just a more aggressive DI.

Last year the dynamic contrast spec was increased due to a native contrast increase so hopefully that trend continues.

Also nice to see confirmation of the long overdue HDMI chips upgraded to current 18Gbps standards...finally!

hasta666 08-31-2016 10:46 PM

Sony presented at IFA its new VPL-VW550ES pojector
 
That's really too little an upgrade for me. Let's wait another year then. Still from a commercial point of view, I can understand Sony not pushing too much their existing line of PJ. They are still the only consumer brand with "affordable" PJ and that alone is kind of a strong selling argument.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandyka 08-31-2016 10:54 PM

Its borderline for me but this is why I was holding back on the 520 I suspected a similar upgrade so this might suit me. We shall find out in a few hours I guess.

Ron Jones 09-01-2016 05:34 AM

While it appears Sony has upgraded the HDMI inputs, it's still not clear if it's now full bandwidth 2.0a or perhaps 2.1. Also no mention, so far, for offering any realistic support for WGC (I.e., with support for Rec 2020 input and the ability to display out to at least DCI-P3 color points). So there are still some unknowns, but perhaps we will get more info from IFA later today.

RickAVManiac 09-01-2016 05:39 AM

At first look, it's seem to be a small upgrade for Sony : http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/vpl-vw550es/

Shepardos 09-01-2016 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jones (Post 46472489)
While it appears Sony has upgraded the HDMI inputs, it's still not clear if it's now full bandwidth 2.0a or perhaps 2.1. Also no mention, so far, for offering any realistic support for WGC (I.e., with support for Rec 2020 input and the ability to display out to at least DCI-P3 color points). So there are still some unknowns, but perhaps we will get more info from IFA later today.

Don't think so, HDMI is not updated to 18Ghz, at least this is what the official Sony webpage is showing:

http://www.sony.de/pro/product/proje...ures/#features

480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1.080/60i, 1.080/50i, 1.080/60p, 1.080/50p, 1.080/24p, 3.840 x 2.160/24p, 3.840 x 2.160/25p, 3.840 x 2.160/30p, 3.840 x 2.160/50p*3, 3.840 x 2.160/60p*3, 4.096 x 2.160/24p, 4.096 x 2.160/25p, 4.096 x 2.160/30p, 4.096 x 2.160/50p*3, 4.096 x 2.160/60p*3

*3 YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8 Bit

Ron Jones 09-01-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepardos (Post 46472633)
Don't think so, HDMI is not updated to 18Ghz, at least this is what the official Sony webpage is showing:

http://www.sony.de/pro/product/proje...ures/#features

480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1.080/60i, 1.080/50i, 1.080/60p, 1.080/50p, 1.080/24p, 3.840 x 2.160/24p, 3.840 x 2.160/25p, 3.840 x 2.160/30p, 3.840 x 2.160/50p*3, 3.840 x 2.160/60p*3, 4.096 x 2.160/24p, 4.096 x 2.160/25p, 4.096 x 2.160/30p, 4.096 x 2.160/50p*3, 4.096 x 2.160/60p*3

*3 YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8 Bit


That appears correct, unless Sony simply failed to update the spec. sheet for the new capabilities. Too bad if they are really still stuck at 10.2 Gbps HDMI inputs.

jabz 09-01-2016 07:24 AM

wow why did they even bother

maglito 09-01-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jones (Post 46473553)
That appears correct, unless Sony simply failed to update the spec. sheet for the new capabilities. Too bad if they are really still stuck at 10.2 Gbps HDMI inputs.

Let's hope they simply didn't update the spec sheet. Hard to believe they would explicitly site updates to the HDMI ports and not employ the new 18Gbps chips.

I couldn't believe it last year when they didn't upgrade HDMI, but if it's true again...

Just wow.

Hopefully we'll get confirmation soon -- it's starting to feel like last year all over again!

RickAVManiac 09-01-2016 02:14 PM

The info seems right. Also look like it's confirm by many sources.

No 18gps, no full WCG support, same lumens, no MotionFlow in 4k.

Conclusion : same projector with very little modifications.

Walter Santos Filho 09-01-2016 02:30 PM

Shouldn't Sony have done this by the time it released the VPL 520 (665)? This may bring strong deterioration in prices of these pjs, though they are top of the line. It`s a Sony no show.

Bandyka 09-01-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickAVManiac (Post 46487473)
The info seems right. Also look like it's confirm by many sources.

No 18gps, no full WCG support, same lumens, no MotionFlow in 4k.

Conclusion : same projector with very little modifications.

It really does suck big time.

RickAVManiac 09-01-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandyka (Post 46490633)
It really does suck big time.

Agree. I was ready to upgrade if they have include 18gps chip and MotionFlow in 4k

My eyes are now on the JVC DLA-Z1 ...

Not for now, but maybe later this year or next year.

Will see the pro and user review before... Dont want to be the beta tester...

Bandyka 09-01-2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickAVManiac (Post 46490801)
Agree. I was ready to upgrade if they have include 18gps chip and MotionFlow in 4k

My eyes are now on the JVC DLA-Z1 ...

Not for now, but maybe later this year or next year.

Will see the pro and user review before... Dont want to be the beta tester...

exactly the same here.

Shame Sony got lazy.

Eternal_Sunshine 09-02-2016 03:23 AM

There is still conflicting information around the 18Gbps issue. But it looks like the chips are indeed upgraded.

http://www.grobi.tv/media/image/thum..._1280x1280.png

Bandyka 09-02-2016 04:48 AM

judging by the 60p 10bit input? Where is this info from?

hasta666 09-02-2016 04:54 AM

They had to add a red (new) next to the new features in order to help people spot them. Sad :-) However it's good news for us current Sony users.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandyka 09-02-2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasta666 (Post 46500329)
They had to add a red (new) next to the new features in order to help people spot them. Sad :-) However it's good news for us current Sony users.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

Yeah interesting, when will we find out more??


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.