17Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 09-05-2016, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
JVC X550R or Epson 6040UB?

JVC X550R or Epson 6040UB at same price point? Considering same price, is it the consensus that the JVC is proven better after calibration? Better blacks? Maybe even brighter after cal? It's down between these two for me

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm up against the same decision. From my reading, the JVC seems to do better on black level, and the Epson does wildly better on input lag. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do wonder whether almost 5 frame latency might be enough to notice.

I've been considering the RS500 because of the extra light output, which complicates matters because the comparative reviews are not quite as plentiful.

I do get the distinct impression you can't go wrong with either of them.
KevinH likes this.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Metral View Post
I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do wonder whether almost 5 frame latency might be enough to notice.
It is, IMO. But then again I was used to gaming on my 16ms Planar 8150 before I got my RS49. I ended up keeping the Planar for games. Some people seem fine with it, I assume they never played games on a low lag machine. When you factor in the discount you can usually get on an X550/RS400, you can probably get one of those and an inexpensive DLP for gaming, and have the best of both worlds.
KevinH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Go with The JVC, I did LOVE it. Epson looks like a big toy.....
KevinH likes this.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 677
For a absolute "no gamer", JVC is the "game" as I keep reading.
Other than the input lag issue (that I don't care), what are other negatives of JVC compared to Epson 5040?
post #6 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My other concern with the JVC is 3D flicker as it runs at 95hz. I have not had chance to demo one sadly so I cant say if id find the flicker distracting. But as the JVC is a expensive purchase I don't think I can take the risk as knowing my luck id notice it straight away. Also more expensive bulbs.

Add in the fact I do play my PS4 I'm probably going for Epson.
KevinH and Ronman79 like this.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm a 50/50 games & movies person. My last projector was a JVC and FPS gaming was out of the question. Love my 5040. No regrets here.
KevinH and Ronman79 like this.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'll add:
Epson - motorized lens cover, cheaper replacement lamps, built in emitter
JVC - better 3D picture

I've heard that possibly the Epson does better for TV/Sports. Not sure why that would be however.
KevinH likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyisHome View Post
I'll add:
JVC - better 3D picture

I've heard that possibly the Epson does better for TV/Sports. Not sure why that would be however.
Does JVC have a lens cover....just not motorized?

Elunevision 140" 2.35
post #10 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I'll add:
JVC - better 3D picture

I've been reading its just about a toss up for 3D
post #11 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

No way, JVC 3D is much better.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
I'm taking Zombie10K's word. He said the JVC is the only projector that gets close to DLPs and meets his requirement for crosstalk. I've got the Epson for 30 days and there is definite crosstalk. It looks great compared to the crap served up at carmike theaters down the road from me but the 5040 is not in the same league as my old BenQ W7000.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I'm taking Zombie10K's word. He said the JVC is the only projector that gets close to DLPs and meets his requirement for crosstalk. I've got the Epson for 30 days and there is definite crosstalk. It looks great compared to the crap served up at carmike theaters down the road from me but the 5040 is not in the same league as my old BenQ W7000.
What about flicker though? I have seen in reviews and other people mention this? I imagine its like dlp rainbow effect where only certain people are bothard by it.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
What about flicker though? I have seen in reviews and other people mention this? I imagine its like dlp rainbow effect where only certain people are bothard by it.
I have minor issues with seeing 3D flicker on the JVC. It's minor and using the better 3D glasses really help.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #15 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Which "better" 3D glasses?
post #16 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yes are people finding better success using a non-JVC emitter and glasses?

Elunevision 140" 2.35
post #17 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
I have had the best luck from the Xpand glasses. I am using the JVC emitter.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #18 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I have had the best luck from the Xpand glasses. I am using the JVC emitter.
Allen, which xpands are you liking best?(model?)

Elunevision 140" 2.35
post #19 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Metral View Post
I'm up against the same decision. From my reading, the JVC seems to do better on black level, and the Epson does wildly better on input lag. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do wonder whether almost 5 frame latency might be enough to notice.

I've been considering the RS500 because of the extra light output, which complicates matters because the comparative reviews are not quite as plentiful.

I do get the distinct impression you can't go wrong with either of them.
I jsut posted the following on the Epson owners thread, and hope this helps:

I need to add my 2 cents about gaming and input lag here as it is being blown WAY out of proportion.

I was almost scared off of buying a X500r last year by folks here claiming it is "unplayable" on a JVC due to input lag.

It is total BS.

As a preface, I am a hardcore gamer, I play on all platforms including PC. I play on average 50 - 70 games a year. Play single player and a lot of online shooters (CoD, BF, etc) and also play a lot of Final Fantasy 14 online which requires twitch timing on boss fights. Also delve into games that have a lot of QTE which have to be very accurate.

Saying all that, I have NEVER had an issue with the X500R, my kill counts have not wavered coming from a Panny 8000 which had substantially lower input lag (about 35ms). Hell I finished CoD:BO3 on REALISTIC on the X500, if input lag was an issue this would not have been possible as pretty much 1 shot and you are dead.

When it comes down to it, an input lag of 140 or so is a total of about 4 lost frames from a 60fps refresh. That is 4 missing frame PER SECOND. Practically invisible to the eye.

Unless you are playing on a professional level, there is not a snowballs chance in hell this will affect you, and even then, I would be willing to bet most pro gamers in a blind side by side would not know the difference.

Do not be fooled folks, the JVC is perfectly capable of gaming and it looks downright amazing on the JVC projectors thanks to their black levels.

So if input lag is your only deciding factor, go with the JVC.

I think honestly the issue is that the vast majority of people have never tried it.

Now this is not surprising at all, who has the cash to blow on a projector that "may" work, so they jump on the "OMG, 140ms lag will make your game unplayable" train. When in really would likely not even know it if they tried.

They are in the same camp as the PC crowd that will scream doom and gloom if their game runs at 89fps instead of 90fps, claiming it is game breaking because they are missing 1 fps, when in reality without faps on they would have no clue.

What people of not realize is 140ms is .14 of a second. POINT ONE FOUR! One 8th of a second.

If someone is telling you that the reason they are not getting kills in CoD online is because of that 1/8 of a second, they are full of crap. The vast majority of people like to blame their lack of gaming prowess on anything but their ability.

I hear it all the damn time, "oh man, i am lagging so bad, that is why i suck tonight" No, you suck most of the time, and this just gives them something else to blame.

Just take gaming lag with a grain of salt, it is not nearly as bad as the nay sayers would have you believe.
KevinH, Max Metral, hrotti and 1 others like this.

Marantz AV8802A & 7055 / Rotel 2x RMB-1095 & RMB-1090 / Yamaha P7000S / DTech BP2000TL / DTech C/L/R 3000 / DTech BPVX/P Surr/Rears / DTech SM65 Wides / Polk RC60i / SVS PB13 Ultra & PB16 Ultra / Buttkicker LFE / JVC X750 / Panny UB900 / iRule & Insteon.
Coffin Family Theater Build
post #20 of 33 Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

I need to add my 2 cents about gaming and input lag here as it is being blown WAY out of proportion.

I was almost scared off of buying a X500r last year by folks here claiming it is "unplayable" on a JVC due to input lag.

It is total BS.

As a preface, I am a hardcore gamer, I play on all platforms including PC. I play on average 50 - 70 games a year. Play single player and a lot of online shooters (CoD, BF, etc) and also play a lot of Final Fantasy 14 online which requires twitch timing on boss fights. Also delve into games that have a lot of QTE which have to be very accurate.

Saying all that, I have NEVER had an issue with the X500R, my kill counts have not wavered coming from a Panny 8000 which had substantially lower input lag (about 35ms). Hell I finished CoD:BO3 on REALISTIC on the X500, if input lag was an issue this would not have been possible as pretty much 1 shot and you are dead.

When it comes down to it, an input lag of 140 or so is a total of about 4 lost frames from a 60fps refresh. That is 4 missing frame PER SECOND. Practically invisible to the eye.

Unless you are playing on a professional level, there is not a snowballs chance in hell this will affect you, and even then, I would be willing to bet most pro gamers in a blind side by side would not know the difference.

Do not be fooled folks, the JVC is perfectly capable of gaming and it looks downright amazing on the JVC projectors thanks to their black levels.

So if input lag is your only deciding factor, go with the JVC.

I think honestly the issue is that the vast majority of people have never tried it.

Now this is not surprising at all, who has the cash to blow on a projector that "may" work, so they jump on the "OMG, 140ms lag will make your game unplayable" train. When in really would likely not even know it if they tried.

They are in the same camp as the PC crowd that will scream doom and gloom if their game runs at 89fps instead of 90fps, claiming it is game breaking because they are missing 1 fps, when in reality without faps on they would have no clue.

What people of not realize is 140ms is .14 of a second. POINT ONE FOUR! One 8th of a second.

If someone is telling you that the reason they are not getting kills in CoD online is because of that 1/8 of a second, they are full of crap. The vast majority of people like to blame their lack of gaming prowess on anything but their ability.

I hear it all the damn time, "oh man, i am lagging so bad, that is why i suck tonight" No, you suck most of the time, and this just gives them something else to blame.

Just take gaming lag with a grain of salt, it is not nearly as bad as the nay sayers would have you believe.
I believe you have been countered in the other thread. I am not a gamer, but looks like if the gamers are looking for lag < 5ms then 140ms is way too much.
But anyways, I care less. I have zero interest in gaming..
post #21 of 33 Old 09-12-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

It is total BS.
It's not BS, it's just something that some people are more sensitive to than others. When I got my RS4910, I knew immediately something was "wrong" when I tried to play Forza on it, it was significantly harder to control the car than with my Planar 8150. Same thing with Halo, it's basically impossible for me to aim accurately quickly, due to the lag, when I would turn to aim I'd always overshoot what I was aiming at, by a large amount. And I'm not a hardcore gamer, I'm not talking about K:D ratio, I don't even play online, just by myself or local coop with my friends, and they've noticed it to. It just takes the fun out of playing.

FWIW, my RS4910 had ~140ms of lag, while my Planar 8150 has 16ms. And that's why I still have my Planar.

Also, 140 ms is 8 frames, not 4.

And I'm not saying you can't game on a JVC, I've seen plenty of reports from folks like yourself who don't seem to be affected by lag much, but people who do game should know going in that the JVCs have significant lag, and if they're worried about it, they should try and test it themselves first.

Last edited by stanger89; 09-12-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #22 of 33 Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's not BS, it's just something that some people are more sensitive to than others. When I got my RS4910, I knew immediately something was "wrong" when I tried to play Forza on it, it was significantly harder to control the car than with my Planar 8150. Same thing with Halo, it's basically impossible for me to aim accurately quickly, due to the lag, when I would turn to aim I'd always overshoot what I was aiming at, by a large amount. And I'm not a hardcore gamer, I'm not talking about K ratio, I don't even play online, just by myself or local coop with my friends, and they've noticed it to. It just takes the fun out of playing.

FWIW, my RS4910 had ~140ms of lag, while my Planar 8150 has 16ms. And that's why I still have my Planar.

Also, 140 ms is 8 frames, not 4.

And I'm not saying you can't game on a JVC, I've seen plenty of reports from folks like yourself who don't seem to be affected by lag much, but people who do game should know going in that the JVCs have significant lag, and if they're worried about it, they should try and test it themselves first.

Coworker of mine has the X550 and the lag is absolutely real and is very problematic. Certain games work fine but fast paced twitch style gaming is just a huge pain and playing competitively online is out of the question. I myself was sold on the X550 but just can't do it because I game half the time in my theater.
post #23 of 33 Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Here is my video. If this is invisible to the eye then I will admit I'm wrong about input lag. But to me I can clearly see the delay and when I go to aim down the sights there is a delay on the JVC. That same delay is there in every move you make. Every jump, turn, fore, etc...

OJ Bartley and DavidK442 like this.
post #24 of 33 Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have seen some online reviewers state that the Epson has clarity and detail levels than the JVC. Can anyone here comment on the detail levels of 4k content between the two projectors
post #25 of 33 Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage Fighter View Post
I have seen some online reviewers state that the Epson has clarity and detail levels than the JVC. Can anyone here comment on the detail levels of 4k content between the two projectors
All I can tell you is my dealer has the 6040 and x550r mounted right on top of one another, and I chose the JVC......just looked better to me. We watched the same content immediately back to back by covering one lens...then the other..........some 1080p blu-ray and some 4K content off of a Sony media player.

Elunevision 140" 2.35
post #26 of 33 Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
All I can tell you is my dealer has the 6040 and x550r mounted right on top of one another, and I chose the JVC......just looked better to me. We watched the same content immediately back to back by covering one lens...then the other..........some 1080p blu-ray and some 4K content off of a Sony media player.
Was there one particular thing you felt that tilted the advantage to the JVC?
post #27 of 33 Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage Fighter View Post
Was there one particular thing you felt that tilted the advantage to the JVC?
Blacks imo are definitely better, and both my sales rep and I thought the JVC had a more detailed picture....especially with eshift engaged and upconverting 1080p blu-ray......as compared to the 6040. I don't game on the projector so no opinion on the response time comparisons.

Elunevision 140" 2.35
post #28 of 33 Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Blacks imo are definitely better, and both my sales rep and I thought the JVC had a more detailed picture....especially with eshift engaged and upconverting 1080p blu-ray......as compared to the 6040. I don't game on the projector so no opinion on the response time comparisons.
Owning a JVC, i'm big believer in the black levels, but that's good to know on the opinion of the clarity and detail, as I was concerned about the variance reported between the LCoS vs 3LCD.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to get a projector and stuck between the Epson 6040 and the JVC x750R i do a lot of gaming and i just opened a computer business specializing in 4k gaming i am getting very confused on witch one to get to display the best in 4k gaming please help

My home theater setup 2 Martin Logan Vantage 1 Martin Logan Stage Marantz AV7701 Upgrading to the Marantz AV8805 2 Marantz MM8077 7-Channel Amplifier 1 Killer Systems HTPC All Watercooled using steiger dynamics leet Case Still deciding on Projector, screen
post #30 of 33 Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryan51 View Post
I am looking to get a projector and stuck between the Epson 6040 and the JVC x750R i do a lot of gaming and i just opened a computer business specializing in 4k gaming i am getting very confused on witch one to get to display the best in 4k gaming please help
keep an eye on the forum over the next week, an updated series of JVC's is being announced with low lag time for gamers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page