Epson LS10500 4K (enhance) laser projector - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 452Likes

post #1081 of 1284 Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wondering out loud. Is it possible to upgrade the HDMI board in the 10500? This is a great projector where the real weakness is the HDMI input and processing. With a projector designed to last 20,000 hours I would like to pressure Epson into offering a paid upgrade to get an 18gb hdmi connection.

Other Av manufacturers offer similar options, why not the projector market.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1284 Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2573 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlustosch View Post
Wondering out loud. Is it possible to upgrade the HDMI board in the 10500? This is a great projector where the real weakness is the HDMI input and processing. With a projector designed to last 20,000 hours I would like to pressure Epson into offering a paid upgrade to get an 18gb hdmi connection.

Thoughts?

Very unlikely to happen.
post #1083 of 1284 Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlustosch View Post

Thoughts?

Given that Epson has just recently introduced (at IFA) a replacement for the 9300 which is the 9400, and the 9400 now has an 18ghz board, I'd think rather than offer an upgrade to the 10500, they'll produce a new model instead. And having said that, it doesn't look like a replacement for the LS10500 is due anyway as there's no mention of one at either IFA or CEDIA, not even with upgraded boards or improved HDR handling.

That means they've either dropped development of that particular model or there's a 4K version waiting in the wings and all development is going towards that instead.
myllaki73 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 1284 Old 09-12-2018, 01:02 PM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
well let's hope it's a 4k version on the drawing board.

Walter
post #1085 of 1284 Old 09-12-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope so too. It's a great machine and it would be such a shame for it not to be continued in some fashion.
myllaki73 likes this.

Quote:

post #1086 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
[QUOTE=WTS;56798596]well let's hope it's a 4k version on the drawing board.[/QUOTE

I disagree. I'd much rather have the laser with 1080p and eshift with laser modulation and a DI for something like the current price than 4K and laser for a price closer to the Sony laser or the JVC laser.

Are you willing to pay close to $40,000 for the LS10500 + 4K? Give me better 3D handling and black level for close to the same price. I'm not paying 3Xs or more just for 4K, which in my opinion is over hyped.
post #1087 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 11:34 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Well if you put it that way then I'd tend to agree with you 100%. No way I'd be willing to pay what the Sony is going for.

Walter
post #1088 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 11:35 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I disagree. I'd much rather have the laser with 1080p and eshift with laser modulation and a DI for something like the current price than 4K and laser for a price closer to the Sony laser or the JVC laser.

Are you willing to pay close to $40,000 for the LS10500 + 4K? Give me better 3D handling and black level for close to the same price. I'm not paying 3Xs or more just for 4K, which in my opinion is over hyped.
You're essentially making the argument for not having a projector at all I fear... now both Sony and JVC are doing native 4K, selling non-native 4K at >$5K just got much, much harder, even if fricken' lasers are involved...

I'd hope Epson have something in the works. But they might equally has said "Too hard, let's just mop up the volume sales in the space below the JVC and Sony units". This was always playing in a space they hadn't operated in before, and maybe it doesn't work for them commercially. I wouldn't like to bet my hard-earned that there will be a successor to the LS10500 (at least not in the guise of reflective LCD), which makes me quite sad as I had hoped we might see something this year.
post #1089 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
well let's hope it's a 4k version on the drawing board.

I agree with you, but it doesn't look like Epson is doing much with it any more so I'm hoping it's because they have (affordable) 4k rather than nothing on the horizon.

I think Epson have a real winner with the 10000 and the 10500, but as it's not as high contrast as the JVCs it's overlooked by many people here as that seems the primary criteria. yes it's important, but overall image quality is important too, and I thinjk the LS has that over the JVCs. It would be a real shame to discontinue it, especially when you see how well it can render the Quick Brown Fox test image compared to the JVCs (slightly better) and 4K machines (very close, kinda making 4K moot), and doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same problems people are reporting from the JVCs. These threads are pretty dead because no one is reporting any problems. That may partly be due to more people owning JVCs but even so, how many issues are we seeing reported by anyone anywhere?

More lumens and contrast are all it needs as an eshift machine at it's current price to really pick up sales from JVC IMHO but if Epson were continuing development of this platform I would have thought we would have seen something at IFA or CEDIA - at least an 18ghz board like the 9400, but there wasn't anything at all.

So the only hope IMHO is that a 4K laser is in the works, and at a more affordable price than the JVCs or Sonys.
jnation, Aztar35 and myllaki73 like this.

Quote:

post #1090 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
More lumens and contrast are all it needs as an eshift machine at it's current price to really pick up sales from JVC IMHO but if Epson were continuing development of this platform I would have thought we would have seen something at IFA or CEDIA - at least an 18ghz board like the 9400, but there wasn't anything at all.
The LS10500 seems to have been launched in November 2016 so to have a significant update for CEDIA this year would make that only a two year cycle, which seems somewhat aggressive based on projector manufacturers behavior in recent years, noting that I stress significant update. I don't think only adding 18 Gbps HDMI would cut it at this price point. On this basis I am hoping Epson are working on a significant upgrade for next year.

I agree that the LS10500 seems to have suffered from lack of lumens and contrast and a significant improvement there would go a long way IMHO, with better control of the laser for fade to black. I'm not so sure about the need for 4K unless a user is particularly seeking strong gaming performance (or sits close enough to appreciate for film). A number of commenters in the JVC threads have stated a preference for laser+e-shift vs 4K (if not heavily into games) to get away from bulbs; both the costs assuming frequent replacement to maintain lumens and the associated 100+ hour new bulb "aging" before calibration and then ongoing calibration requirements as the bulb further ages.

I suppose the wish list line up for 2019 tempered by some reality might be an improved laser+e-shift at $6k with a native 4K variant at $8k-$10k. This would seem to position against JVC's new range quite well while offering much more vs Sony, where the latter seems to have a large price gap in its lineup. All subject to the hypothetical new projectors performance of course.
post #1091 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnation View Post
The LS10500 seems to have been launched in November 2016 so to have a significant update for CEDIA this year would make that only a two year cycle, which seems somewhat aggressive based on projector manufacturers behavior in recent years, noting that I stress significant update. I don't think only adding 18 Gbps HDMI would cut it at this price point. On this basis I am hoping Epson are working on a significant upgrade for next year.
The original LS10000 came out a year earlier I think which kinda makes it a three year cycle for the chassis which is why I've a bad feeling about this.

Edit: It was revealed at CEDIA 2014 which makes it four years now, so feels even more ominous.

Quote:
I agree that the LS10500 seems to have suffered from lack of lumens and contrast and a significant improvement there would go a long way IMHO, with better control of the laser for fade to black. I'm not so sure about the need for 4K unless a user is particularly seeking strong gaming performance (or sits close enough to appreciate for film). A number of commenters in the JVC threads have stated a preference for laser+e-shift vs 4K (if not heavily into games) to get away from bulbs; both the costs assuming frequent replacement to maintain lumens and the associated 100+ hour new bulb "aging" before calibration and then ongoing calibration requirements as the bulb further ages.

I suppose the wish list line up for 2019 tempered by some reality might be an improved laser+e-shift at $6k with a native 4K variant at $8k-$10k. This would seem to position against JVC's new range quite well while offering much more vs Sony, where the latter seems to have a large price gap in its lineup. All subject to the hypothetical new projectors performance of course.
Yeah, I agree with you about 4K not really being that necessary in the most part but I do think that as a marketing point it does sell more product to the masses not here on the forum.

I'd love to see an eshift and 4K model at the price points you suggest as that would shake up the market nicely. Fingers crossed..
myllaki73 likes this.

Quote:

Last edited by Gary Lightfoot; 09-16-2018 at 04:20 PM.
post #1092 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The original LS10000 came out a year earlier I think which kinda makes it a three year cycle for the chassis which is why I've a bad feeling about this.

Edit: It was revealed at CEDIA 2014 which makes it four years now, so feels even more ominous.
My mistake. I was thinking the LS10000 was the non 4K-enhanced version, whereas it seems it was just HDR that was the difference. Four years on does give one pause and I hope your bad feelings prove to be ill-founded. I guess the main problem with the platform was that it seems to have been designed as a non-HDR platform, and the LS10500 then attempted to address that. Maybe they held off updating at this level while they developed something more robust. For example it seems unreasonable to expect RS4500 performance under $10k but clearly it has to be significantly better than 1500 lumens ... or maybe I'm just grasping at straws?

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you about 4K not really being that necessary in the most part but I do think that as a marketing point it does sell more product to the masses not here on the forum.

I'd love to see an eshift and 4K model at the price points you suggest as that would shake up the market nicely. Fingers crossed..
No doubt, 4K is an easy marketing point.
post #1093 of 1284 Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The LS10000/10500’s 1500 lumens IMHO felt brighter than conventional lamp based projectors with the same rating.

That said it definitely needs more lumens to do HDR Justice.

I think 2000 like on my 760ES is the bare minimum. But ideally 2500 - if only to stave off competition for the next gen.

The contrast is decent on the 10000
post #1094 of 1284 Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Epson native 4k 3LCD HDR laser projector with 12,000lm.... Probably not going to be good for home cinema though:

https://www.epson.com.au/news/press_...1203&Year=2018

Still, seems like Epson has native 4k LCDs in the wild so I wonder why this isn't being talked about more....
jnation likes this.
post #1095 of 1284 Old 09-17-2018, 10:41 AM

My guess is that is going to be their direction for home theater vs LCoQ.
post #1096 of 1284 Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Epson native 4k 3LCD HDR laser projector with 12,000lm.... Probably not going to be good for home cinema though:

Still, seems like Epson has native 4k LCDs in the wild so I wonder why this isn't being talked about more....
LCD seems to be their main product line so I can see why they might want to develop that first before putting it into the home, so we may see 4K LCD in the not so distant future, possibly with laser.

IIRC from developing their LCoQ tech to actually releasing it took a few years - it was seen at a show and then seemed to disappear for some time before it was finally revealed maybe 5 years later in the LS10000. So maybe they are doing something with 4K LCoQ but aren't going to release it until it's fit for purpose. We can only wait and see.

Quote:

post #1097 of 1284 Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I for one hope they keep the LCoQ technology with the laser light engine and not go to LCD which would be a step backwards.
Gary Lightfoot likes this.

Walter
post #1098 of 1284 Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post

Thanks for posting as this was news to me. I suspect this projector and native 4K from Epson is flying under the radar because it doesn't seem to have been shown anywhere else but Oz so far and doesn't seem to be listed on the Epson product pages yet based on a few quick searches? Its also a large venue projector for commercial applications so that would also tend to "hide it" from the home theater market.

What is encouraging from Epson for future home theater laser projector development is the already existing significant investment in their commercial models. Epson clearly have all the components/expertise to produce both pseudo 4K and now native 4K laser projectors and their history of commitment to sub-$10k pricing with LS10000 and LS10500 is hugely encouraging for future affordable models in my view. Lumens clearly isn't a problem in the context of large venue projectors but perhaps combining this with accurate colors to home theater standards, light control/good contrast in an affordable chassis with low noise and at these price points is what has held back updated offerings so far.
post #1099 of 1284 Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Thanks for posting as this was news to me. I suspect this projector and native 4K from Epson is flying under the radar because it doesn't seem to have been shown anywhere else but Oz so far and doesn't seem to be listed on the Epson product pages yet based on a few quick searches? Its also a large venue projector for commercial applications so that would also tend to "hide it" from the home theater market.

What is encouraging from Epson for future home theater laser projector development is the already existing significant investment in their commercial models. Epson clearly have all the components/expertise to produce both pseudo 4K and now native 4K laser projectors and their history of commitment to sub-$10k pricing with LS10000 and LS10500 is hugely encouraging for future affordable models in my view. Lumens clearly isn't a problem in the context of large venue projectors but perhaps combining this with accurate colors to home theater standards, light control/good contrast in an affordable chassis with low noise and at these price points is what has held back updated offerings so far.
It was news to me too, I only just caught the mention from Projector Central. Such a quiet launch for what as far as I can tell is their first native 4k panels, even if the intended market isn't the same as the usual crowd here. Weird too that it's only on Australian sites and even then, it's not even on Epson AU's site properly, just the news post. Perhaps it hasn't actually launched yet but it will be interesting to see the pricing and how it performs.
post #1100 of 1284 Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have owned this projector for a long time,
so far I have never tried UHD material, and now I would like to try.

I do not care about HDR, I would just like to take advantage of the higher resolution of UHDs.

What are the best settings on this machine and on the entire chain?

Source player (HTPC) ---> Eecolor Lut-Box ---> LS10500

Do I necessarily need an HDFury if I do not want to use the HDR?

Thank you

Sorry for my bad English
Epson LS10500 - AMD RX580 - LightSpace CMS
post #1101 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
4K source into the LS and you are watching in UHD. I have noticed that a second picture setting profile is required to get UHD content looking right. You can't just use your old HD settings as the picture will be too dark.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Atmos 5.2.2 setup: Silver Ticket 100" screen, Epson LS10000, Denon AVR X2200, Xbox One X.
post #1102 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12536 Post(s)
Liked: 10150
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I agree with you, but it doesn't look like Epson is doing much with it any more so I'm hoping it's because they have (affordable) 4k rather than nothing on the horizon.

I think Epson have a real winner with the 10000 and the 10500, but as it's not as high contrast as the JVCs it's overlooked by many people here as that seems the primary criteria. yes it's important, but overall image quality is important too, and I thinjk the LS has that over the JVCs. It would be a real shame to discontinue it, especially when you see how well it can render the Quick Brown Fox test image compared to the JVCs (slightly better) and 4K machines (very close, kinda making 4K moot), and doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same problems people are reporting from the JVCs. These threads are pretty dead because no one is reporting any problems. That may partly be due to more people owning JVCs but even so, how many issues are we seeing reported by anyone anywhere?

So the only hope IMHO is that a 4K laser is in the works, and at a more affordable price than the JVCs or Sonys.
I agree more lumens and more contrast and this would have been a much bigger seller, especially lumens. But this projector has problems just like any other. Have had to do several exchanges due to uniformity and other issues. You just read about as many problems because JVC represents a 50:1 margin or more here on this forum. I agree the Epson LS series are good projectors and I hope that Epson does not drop the line. A few improvements and this projector could have sold well. These days, at this price point, it needs to be native 4K, for Joe Public.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 09-20-2018 at 07:31 AM.
post #1103 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5saladz View Post
4K source into the LS and you are watching in UHD. I have noticed that a second picture setting profile is required to get UHD content looking right. You can't just use your old HD settings as the picture will be too dark.

What settings specifically?

is that an HDR setting because that's usually the problem with HDR content. You may find changing the UHD players HDR controls will fix it. The Panasonics have a slider for HDR IIRC.

Quote:

post #1104 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I agree more lumens and more contrast and this would have been a much bigger seller, especially lumens. But this projector has problems just like any other. Have had to do several exchanges due to uniformity and other issues. You just read about as many problems because JVC represents a 50:1 margin or more here on this forum. I agree the Epson LS series are good projectors and I hope that Epson does not drop the line. A few improvements and this projector could have sold well. These days, at this price point, it needs to be native 4K, for Joe Public.
I know there was an unusual incidence of one guy getting 4 bad ones, but they were all B stock IIRC. I mentioned it to my dealer who is the Chromapure rep for the UK and he frowned with disbelief as he's supplied and calibrated a few of them now (both 10000s and 10500s - you have to look at white and grey fields to calibrate them so he would notice issues like that immediately and he calibrates everything he sells). Otherwise both LS threads are extremely quiet and problem free. Even with the 50:1 ratio you mention, I would have thought we would have seen some owners coming here for advice regarding a problem but there doesn't seem to be any. Maybe they just got them fixed by Epson under warranty and don't mention it here. Nothing is perfect though so I would expect to see something.

Of the AV people I know personally there is a bigger percentage of LS ownership then the 50:1 ratio you mention, but maybe that's because they all went to demos and saw the Epson laser as well as the JVC, whereas here I don't see a lot of people who get an opportunity to view both as mostly it's just JVC. That could be why I tend to get PMs from people asking about the Epson - they can't get a demo.

I think the most common problems with JVCs are bright corners and noisy eshift mechanisms (ignoring the image noise and micro flicker which they all have), and it seems to be quite a high ratio. Someone I know who recently got a mid level JVC had to return it with a failed iris (unusual and just bad luck). The second one has bright corners that I think he said measure considerably brighter than the middle. Even so, he's disappointed with it and it does seem like a crap shoot.

I agree that 4K is the only thing Joe Public really understands and why advertising that is what gets you sales over everything else (what's HDR or WCG P3?? for example), so lets hope that's what Epson has in the pipeline rather than nothing at all.

Quote:

post #1105 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12536 Post(s)
Liked: 10150
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I know there was an unusual incidence of one guy getting 4 bad ones, but they were all B stock IIRC. I mentioned it to my dealer who is the Chromapure rep for the UK and he frowned with disbelief as he's supplied and calibrated a few of them now (both 10000s and 10500s - you have to look at white and grey fields to calibrate them so he would notice issues like that immediately and he calibrates everything he sells). Otherwise both LS threads are extremely quiet and problem free. Even with the 50:1 ratio you mention, I would have thought we would have seen some owners coming here for advice regarding a problem but there doesn't seem to be any. Maybe they just got them fixed by Epson under warranty and don't mention it here. Nothing is perfect though so I would expect to see something.

Of the AV people I know personally there is a bigger percentage of LS ownership then the 50:1 ratio you mention, but maybe that's because they all went to demos and saw the Epson laser as well as the JVC, whereas here I don't see a lot of people who get an opportunity to view both as mostly it's just JVC. That could be why I tend to get PMs from people asking about the Epson - they can't get a demo.

I think the most common problems with JVCs are bright corners and noisy eshift mechanisms (ignoring the image noise and micro flicker which they all have), and it seems to be quite a high ratio. Someone I know who recently got a mid level JVC had to return it with a failed iris (unusual and just bad luck). The second one has bright corners that I think he said measure considerably brighter than the middle. Even so, he's disappointed with it and it does seem like a crap shoot.

I agree that 4K is the only thing Joe Public really understands and why advertising that is what gets you sales over everything else (what's HDR or WCG P3?? for example), so lets hope that's what Epson has in the pipeline rather than nothing at all.
First one was B-stock. The other three were A-stock. Have been a failed laser or two also. But in general, they have had a pretty good track record, above average. If talking bright corners, I think you would need to compare the 4 series JVC with the LS models, because those are close in native. You rarely read about bright corner issues with the 4 series, since it has a higher black floor than the 5/6 series.

I agree that I hope Epson continues and moves into native 4K with the LS series, The LS10000 was a remarkable first effort.
post #1106 of 1284 Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

I agree, the LS is a good projector but indeed has its own issues like everything else. I went through several swaps with Epson due to grey uniformity issues (which were visible in content after calibration and I posted images a while back elsewhere). Several forum members noted this on theirs too (Seegs, Zombie, and one other person who name slips me). But I recall Gary was good with his. One my swaps had really bad bright corners too, but the others were fine. The lens sample was not good on one either as only half of the image could be focused properly at a time. I ended up talking to the QA manager at Epson on the phone who had someone on his team handpick me an LS10000 unit (which even included a personal letter confirming), but it still had the same problem. They even pulled units with very different serial numbers and months they were built. My first unit was B stock, the three after A stock. He then escalated the matter to the actual product manager and at that point they decided to give me a refund even though I was willing to do another swap as I had no qualms with the projector otherwise. However, it was implied "this is just how they are". I'm sure there are probably some golden samples out there and/or some people are not very sensitive to it (like bright corners on the higher end JVCs). I will say I was very impressed and happy with how Epson handled the matter despite not getting the issue resolved. I would like to see this projector improve and evolve into a native 4K unit as more competition is always better, but I just get the feeling it's not going any further and we are more likely to see a 4K consumer LCD from Epson.

Last edited by DavidHir; 09-20-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #1107 of 1284 Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It does seem strange that Epson US couldn't find you an acceptable LS10000 whereas here in the UK the vast majority seem pretty good and Mike has said they have had a pretty good track record overall, so that doesn't seem to be "this is just how they are" and I can't believe over here we are lucky to have mostly golden samples. The PMs I had a while back form other LS owners suggested there are good units there too. I wonder if you were just being given lip service and they weren't really trying as hard as they told you - I've seen similar things said to JVC owners here when they get units with bright corners, then returned and get a unit with a noisy eshift and are told "this is just how they are" to fob them off. Being told an unacceptable unit is 'within spec' is another common line fed to unhappy customers so they don't have to deal with them.

When I got my LS my room wasn't quite ready for it so I asked my dealer if he could run it up and check it for me which he did. My previous dealer would do the same for most of his customers too and he did that for me every time so I would be collecting a good unit. I think a good dealer is worth his weight in gold and worth the extra bucks than getting one from a box shifter sight unseen. My current dealer also offers free calibration (which is handy as he has better kit than me) either at the lens or on site (him or a local well known calibrator if it's in a different part of the country), so I've been kinda spoiled with the two dealers I've had over the past 18+ years.

But anyway.

You could well be right about there being just a 4K LCD coming from Epson as there was a large venue model shown on an Australian website IIRC, but it would be great if they were trying to get the 4K R-LCD tech up to speed as well. However, if JVCs new 4K units have resolved the image noise problem (bright corners will still be a potential issue apparently), and they add a laser in the next two years, it's going to make things even harder for Epson or Sony to to sell their products. Right now JVC are making Sony's 4K offerings seem pretty poor and overpriced in comparison, and that's with a preproduction unit that doesn't even have a working iris.

I'm hoping to get to see one later this year and in split screen with a 4K Sony (probably a laser 760) and the LS10500 if he still has it, so that will be an interesting day.

Oh, and are you guys having any problems getting onto avs the past couple of days? I get the top part of the page but not the content, so have to refresh a few times to bring it up. This is the only site I visit that has the problem so I was wondering if it was the site or something else. I cleared my cache and that doesn't seem to have helped much.

Cheers

Quote:

post #1108 of 1284 Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
What settings specifically?

is that an HDR setting because that's usually the problem with HDR content. You may find changing the UHD players HDR controls will fix it. The Panasonics have a slider for HDR IIRC.
Didn't see which thread I was in. I have the non-hdr LS10k. I have HD sources running via Digital Cinema and UHD discs on a separate memory slot, also on Digital Cinema but with colour saturation, brightness and gamma tweaked. My 4k player is an Xbox one X do no HDR to SDR remap options there

Atmos 5.2.2 setup: Silver Ticket 100" screen, Epson LS10000, Denon AVR X2200, Xbox One X.
post #1109 of 1284 Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5saladz View Post
Didn't see which thread I was in. I have the non-hdr LS10k. I have HD sources running via Digital Cinema and UHD discs on a separate memory slot, also on Digital Cinema but with colour saturation, brightness and gamma tweaked. My 4k player is an Xbox one X do no HDR to SDR remap options there

Ok, so in this case, the HDR-SDR conversion is done inside the LS10000?

But in my case, with the LS10500, with source an HTPC with MadVr, what are the best settings on HTPC and VPJ?

Color depth, pixel format, dynamic range, HDR-SDR conversion from MadVr or VPJ?

8bit or 10bit?

I now with HD material, I leave the HTPC in 8bit, Y:Cb:Cr 4:2:2, 16-235 ---> Eecolor Lutbox (3DLut from Lightspace CMS in Rec.709)--->
on the VPJ Natural mode.

With UHD material, avoiding the HDR, to use only the highest resolution or higher bit rate, how should I set the chain to get the best conversion to SDR?

Sorry for my bad English
Epson LS10500 - AMD RX580 - LightSpace CMS

Last edited by Icaro; 09-23-2018 at 03:28 AM.
post #1110 of 1284 Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Loving my ls10500, no regrets even if there was a better option at the same price point
I really wanted a laser and this picture looks great

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
ls10500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page