Epson LS10500 4K (enhance) laser projector - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 468Likes

post #1321 of 1342 Old 10-31-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I am guessing he could maximize his pixel resolution and brightness by using the lens. It would still project onto the 16x9 screen vs a scope screen, so the picture would be smaller, but would still use all the light and pixels available. He could always mask the 16x9 to a scope ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1342 Old 10-31-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12717 Post(s)
Liked: 10340
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlustosch View Post
I am guessing he could maximize his pixel resolution and brightness by using the lens. It would still project onto the 16x9 screen vs a scope screen, so the picture would be smaller, but would still use all the light and pixels available. He could always mask the 16x9 to a scope ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, sliding the A-lens in front of the projector lens, will not make the image smaller. It will make the image much larger. The UH480 is a horizontal expansion lens, not a vertical compression lens. Without A-lens the image is 53" x 94". With lens in place the scope image would be 53" x 127". To do what he is talking about doing, he would have to also use lens memory, reducing the height of the image to 39". Then when he slid the lens in place he would have a 39" x 94" wide image for scope.
post #1323 of 1342 Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
OK, as promised I'm updating everyone regarding my order of the refurbish LS10500 that I just received today. Well, so far it is not so good! My machine is very used, you can tell with all the scratch marks (a lot of them) on the top and feet of the projector; and it has well over 1500 hrs on it! They didn't bother to reset the hrs on this one. But that is not the problem for me as I know I bought a refurbish with killer prices. The problem for me is HDMI 1 input is dead! Only HDMI 2 is working. So just called to have an exchange under warranty to arrive next week. Will update everyone again for Part II...
Yikes!

Sounds like it wasn't even refurbished (but interesting mine was apparently reset while yours was not, maybe I did get one with a new light engine?)

XBox: King Nuthin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Yikes!

Sounds like it wasn't even refurbished (but interesting mine was apparently reset while yours was not, maybe I did get one with a new light engine?)
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed as it looks like the one I got was a return with a dead HDMI port, Epson didn't even fix anything, just repackaged and sent it out again as B stock. All the pictures setting of the first owner are still there, nothing got reset and it's dirty! The filter is full of dirt. Well, let see the one I will receive next Monday will be any better. Will update!
CoreyM likes this.
post #1325 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very curious about this projector for a replacement for my aging Sony HW55ES now that the refurb models are in the ballpark of acceptable cost. Wondering how much of an upgrade it would be in my close to pitch black theater. I do already have a Sony 4K player, PS4 Pro & Nvidia sheild capable of 4K. Been holding out to get the most money out of my projector as I do still love 3D on my 120" screen but kinda feel like i'm missing out on better resolution imaging. The 4K laser units just haven't dropped in price as much or as fast as i was hoping (never moves as fast as the TV market). Weight on this bad boy seems worrisome for my current mount also.

I also assume laser projectors don't suffer from the stupid bulb flicker most are susceptible too as well. That's been my main gripe with the Sony (along with some minor panel degradation, could just be my imagination though too after being used to the image for the past 6 years).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	176982_full.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	2635226  
post #1326 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was initially looking at a refurb 5040. I believe i would be at max throw distance and could only achieve about a 48 inch high image.

I love scope movies and used the uh480 with a mitsubishi hc5 with great results in my last theater.

So I was thinking the anamorphic mode and lense would allow full use of the projectors s pixels and maximize light output... And allow me to hopefully keep pj in a low or medium mode (pj will be close to seating pj... Thi king fan noise)

While not as good as the paladin, I think these intermediate pixel shifters resolution will fall nicely within the capabilities of the 480.

So then I stumbled upon this laser model. Which I believe has the advantage of a larger image at a given throw distance. And since it is dimmer... Would benefit from full panel use (light output) even more.

And I already own it... So as long as the pj has the mode (thx for confirming, Mike!). It should work. I do realize I'm a little shorter throw than recommended, but I was in the last theater. I build a curved screen there, but think I can live with a bit of pincushion if it can't be adjusted out.

I would do magnetic masking panels removed for scope movies.

The room is 13'7". Minus pj length and however much the screen I choose sticks out... So pretty short throw.

Last edited by armstrr; 11-01-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #1327 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post
I was initially looking at a refurb 5040. I believe i would be at max throw distance and could only achieve about a 48 inch high image.

I love scope movies and used the uh480 with a mitsubishi hc5 with great results in my last theater.

So I was thinking the anamorphic mode and lense would allow full use of the projectors s pixels and maximize light output... And allow me to hopefully keep pj in a low or medium mode (pj will be close to seating pj... Thi king fan noise)

While not as good as the paladin, I think these intermediate pixel shifters resolution will fall nicely within the capabilities of the 480.

So then I stumbled upon this laser model. Which I believe has the advantage of a larger image at a given throw distance. And since it is dimmer... Would benefit from full panel use (light output) even more.

And I already own it... So as long as the pj has the mode (thx for confirming, Mike!). It should work. I do realize I'm a little shorter throw than recommended, but I was in the last theater. I build a curved screen there, but think I can live with a bit of pincushion if it can't be adjusted out.

I would do magnetic masking panels removed for scope movies.

The room is 13'7". Minus pj length and however much the screen I choose sticks out... So pretty short throw.
You will need to also set up two lens memories. Since you will need to reduce the image size, when the A-lens is slid in front of the projector lens. Image height will need to be reduced to 39" high. Your 11'-7" throw will actually be toward the long side of the throw range. So not much pincushion.
post #1328 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
Very curious about this projector for a replacement for my aging Sony HW55ES now that the refurb models are in the ballpark of acceptable cost. Wondering how much of an upgrade it would be in my close to pitch black theater. I do already have a Sony 4K player, PS4 Pro & Nvidia sheild capable of 4K. Been holding out to get the most money out of my projector as I do still love 3D on my 120" screen but kinda feel like i'm missing out on better resolution imaging. The 4K laser units just haven't dropped in price as much or as fast as i was hoping (never moves as fast as the TV market). Weight on this bad boy seems worrisome for my current mount also.

I also assume laser projectors don't suffer from the stupid bulb flicker most are susceptible too as well. That's been my main gripe with the Sony (along with some minor panel degradation, could just be my imagination though too after being used to the image for the past 6 years).
The LS10500 will be a big improvement in nearly every PQ category over your Sony (which very likely has suffered from panel degradation).
post #1329 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Doesn't the A lens take a full 16:9 image and stretch it optically after the pj stretches it vertically?

That's how I thought it worked with the hc5.

Feel like I'm missing something
post #1330 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Doesn't the A lens take a full 16:9 image and stretch it optically after the pj stretches it vertically?

That's how I thought it worked with the hc5.

Feel like I'm missing something
Yes, his UH480 is a horizontal expansion lens, so it will stretch the image wider than his screen. So he will have to reduce the image size to 39" high, so that once stretched, the image will be 94" wide. Then have a second memory for 16:9 size.
post #1331 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Ahhhh I see.

I miscommunicated.

I can build the screen any width... So the 16 9 image would be approx 108 diagonal... The actual screen will be a scope 2.4 to 1 whatever width is necessary... 127 inches or there abouts.

Thx for taking the time to help. Always appreciated!
post #1332 of 1342 Old 11-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Ahhhh I see.

I miscommunicated.

I can build the screen any width... So the 16 9 image would be approx 108 diagonal... The actual screen will be a scope 2.4 to 1 whatever width is necessary... 127 inches or there abouts.

Thx for taking the time to help. Always appreciated!
Then you are fine. No need of lens memory. You would be running a constant image height setup.
armstrr likes this.
post #1333 of 1342 Old 11-03-2019, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yikes!

Hi CoreyM,

Sent you a PM.
post #1334 of 1342 Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Refurbish LS10500 update Part II

Alright, second time's the charm! I received the replacement for my refurbish LS10500 that has a dead HDMI I port last night. This replacement machine is like new (or new?), I can't find a single scratch on the body. The laser hr is 0 and all picture settings have been reset, unlike the 1st one where the laser hr was more than 1500 hrs and all the picture settings are still there. The 2nd one is clean, very clean the filter is brand new as well. I spent the whole last night testing all the functions to be sure nothing was broken and there was none, so I'm happy with this replacement. It might be just my imagination, but the replacement seems to be brighter and quieter as well. Anyway, I'll ceiling mount the new one tonight and will spend more time watching TV/movies then I'll provide my feedback regarding the differences between (pro and con) this LS10500 and my current JVC RS520. However, so far I'm very pleased with the performance of this PJ. Stay tuned!!!
post #1335 of 1342 Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 AM

All:
Does anyone know how to automatically trigger the LS10.5K to switch the laser power from medium to high power when it receives the 4K HDR flag? The LS correctly switches the color profile (Rec. to BT2020) but won't switch the laser power, so I have to manually switch back and forth, which is kind of annoying. The JVC RS520 can do that automatically. Also, does anyone know the latest firmware for this PJ? I want to see if mine has the latest FW.
Thanks!
CoreyM likes this.
post #1336 of 1342 Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very curious about the above as well!

post #1337 of 1342 Old 11-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you tried using Memory function on the remote
post #1338 of 1342 Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post
Have you tried using Memory function on the remote
you are correct, one can use the Memory function to set up a picture profile for whatever setting they need and recall; however, it's still a few clicks to get to that and a few clicks to get back. I just wish they have a more auto setting that when an HDR flag called, then High Power mode is kicking in as well as BT2020 as JVC has been doing that. Not a big deal, it is just a little annoying...
post #1339 of 1342 Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM

Is anyone has the Nvidia Shield TV (2017 model not the new 2019) coupling with the LS10.5K? I have a problem that I can't seem to find the solution and wish someone can point me to the solution. For some strange reason, my Shield TV (2017) when coupling with this PJ is always upscale to 4K. I have set the resolution to 1080P 60Hz, then go back to the PJ info it's still listing the incoming signal at 4K. it doesn't matter what resolution or refresh rate I picked, the PJ always reports at 4K. This caused a problem that with 4K signal, one can't change any of the settings such as frame interpolation or super-resolution with 1080P source. I'm using the Shield TV for everything: Netflix, Hulu, and Kodi and most of my sources are 1080P so I want to have the ability to adjust some settings. Also, having the resolution lock-down in 4K, preventing the Kodi to automatically adjust the display refresh rate and causes audio out of sync when viewing content in 60hz (TV show). I don't have any of these problems with the JVC RS520, so kind of puzzle here...Note: I tested hooking up a bluray player directly to the PJ, the resolution is correctly reported at 1080p/60Hz so I know this PJ does support that resolution (well, it should!)
Thanks!
post #1340 of 1342 Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Another weird thing that I hope someone with the the Shield TV can check for me; I'm currently set the resolution on the Shield at 3840 X 2160 / 24hz with HDMI input; however the LS reports in info menu the input source is Component! which is very weird as it should be HDMI. I think I see this on both LS so wonder if it's an error or bug?
post #1341 of 1342 Old 11-07-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use a Shield (2017) - have 3 so I guess I won't be updating any...

re: resolution, I think I have mine set to 4k and then I manually force it to 24fps if I am going to watch a HDR stream. It's going through a Denon x3600h which may also be doing some upscaling so I'm not sure how much I'd have to change to get to 1080p and I'm very happy with the image I am getting with youtube tv right now so I probably won't be monkeying with this, sorry.

I have not noticed the component switch, but I'm happy to check that out.

I'm using a Harmony remote, is there a way to program the memory setting to switch to high lamp and back if there isn't a way to do this automagically?

post #1342 of 1342 Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I use a Shield (2017) - have 3 so I guess I won't be updating any...

re: resolution, I think I have mine set to 4k and then I manually force it to 24fps if I am going to watch a HDR stream. It's going through a Denon x3600h which may also be doing some upscaling so I'm not sure how much I'd have to change to get to 1080p and I'm very happy with the image I am getting with youtube tv right now so I probably won't be monkeying with this, sorry.

I have not noticed the component switch, but I'm happy to check that out.

I'm using a Harmony remote, is there a way to program the memory setting to switch to high lamp and back if there isn't a way to do this automagically?
Thanks, Corey! if you can check for me when you set the Shield to 4K 24hz and check the Info menu on the LS to see what the source report there. Then if you can also just for checking, change the Shield to 1080p 60hz or anything and see if the LS report in the menu resolution at 4K or 1080P. My set up is the Shield--->Preamp Marantz AV7702MkII--->PJ; I don't let the Preamp to upscale just pass through the signal to the PJ, so whatever the Shield set the resolution at the LS should receive the same but somehow that is not what I see. I don't have Harmony Remote, but I have the URC 980 remote which I can macro a button to recall the memory and access the memory slot for HDR with High laser that way, but it will be a point and pray operation as there will be no discreet button to recall the High laser power. So far I'm happy with the picture on this LS as well, just a few minor things. But the major thing for me is Kodi won't be able to switch refresh rate and that causes audio sync problem with TV show at 60hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
ls10500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page