The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1121Likes

post #781 of 2056 Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Just checked the Sony Support website, they haven't released any firmware updates for the 675es yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2056 Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So should this one not have any degradation issues?

Last edited by ScottSFA; 02-06-2017 at 06:08 PM.
post #783 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
With my 665 the moment for me was turning down the brightness two clicks to 48 for HDR. You then realize that the brightness was crushing the blacks. I used the scene in Sully where Tom hanks and the union rep for the pilots are sitting in the back of the limousine as well as the scene where he and his co-pilot are being interrogated by the (2) NSTB agents in the hotel room. When they are zoomed in on the (2) agents that are wearing darker suits against the off white color in the background of the hotel conference room you can see that turning the brightness down slightly really affects the color of the dark suits and you can see how the blacks were being crushed.

Thanks for sharing.

Are you using the right term when you say "black crush"? It almost sounds like you're saying if the black level was too high that it was crushing black. It should be the other way around, the black level (brightness control) is set too low "crushing" any details in the blacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaggy View Post
You are correct that Limited/Auto mode tends to crush blacks a bit. You can even see this in the images I attached in the previous post. But this can be remedied greatly by raising brightness through the bluray player. You sacrifice a bit of shadow detail for much greater color depth, improved contrast and lower black floor. I find that Full mode just really hurts the overall color depth and raises the black floor too high. This may vary depending on the source material but after trying several different discs, I really do feel that Limited/Auto + the bluray player brightness adjustment is overall better than Full mode. You also don't need to overcompensate with the Color setting. I did also play around with the Contrast enhancer and HDR settings as well.

I will post some more images later tonight with various configurations.

OK I will certainly try it when I can. I do like black shadow details though and you mention that it seems to kill some of that as a tradeoff for better color saturation. I'm inclined to keep the shadow details AND just increase color to compensate. I'll definitely check this though, so thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
Just checked the Sony Support website, they haven't released any firmware updates for the 675es yet.

Yes I've been checking every once in awhile too. What exactly are you looking for them to provide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
So should this one not have any degradation issues?

That is still to be determined and decided unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes I've been checking every once in awhile too. What exactly are you looking for them to provide?
Just watching for the latest update.
When the OPPO 4K blu-ray arrived at their warehouse, They called me and said that they unpacked the shipping container and it was available for pickup. I had pre ordered it.
When I picked it up, they already had a firmware update for it on a DVD disk.
So just watching for Sony to come out with an update.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #785 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

Are you using the right term when you say "black crush"? It almost sounds like you're saying if the black level was too high that it was crushing black. It should be the other way around, the black level (brightness control) is set too low "crushing" any details in the blacks.

I guess I misunderstood the term "black crush", thanks for clarifying. What I meant was when I turned brightness back the blacks became much deeper and more crisp. With the brightness too high they start to look grey.
Dave Harper likes this.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #786 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The unthinkable has happened. I guess we drilled to far into the ceiling and punctured the roof when placing the mount screws. It's a Frank Lloyd Wright home and I guess, we went just a bit to far with one hole and punctured the rubber sheet on the rubber roof. The roof is much thinner than we thought. Since we installed it at night, we couldn't tell if a hole was there. Obviously we went up there today and patched the roof.

So of course, it rained cats and dogs all last night and most of today here in OH and rain slowly trickled down through the hole, down the mount and into my 675. My wife heard it clicking on and off which I thought was odd, so I killed the power. There was no sign of water anywhere until I got a ladder and felt the top (actual bottom) of the unit. There was a small puddle. Terror struck. I was in the Twilight Zone.

So I took the unit down and more water leaked out so I left it upside down. I didn't want to resaturate anything or saturate something that was never wet. So I popped the bottom panel off and dried the main board (Part 1-981-721-11 dated 09/27/16). There was some white foamy and black stuff on it where it was wet so cleaned it with 99% Alcohol, dried it and lightly went over those areas with a dry toothbrush. I then unscrewed the main top cover (on bottom), propped both sides open and put a bonnet hairdryer on both sides for an hour each to warm the unit and evaporate the remaining moisture out of it. Not sure if it worked yet as I haven't powered it on. I think worst case scenario, I may need to replace the main board. Who sells these?

Nevertheless, I ordered another 675 just in case this one is done and I'm not sure if my homeowner's insurance will cover this just yet.

Any additional suggestions from the experts will be much appreciated.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #787 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
The unthinkable has happened. I guess we drilled to far into the ceiling and punctured the roof when placing the mount screws. It's a Frank Lloyd Wright home and I guess, we went just a bit to far with one hole and punctured the rubber sheet on the rubber roof. The roof is much thinner than we thought. Since we installed it at night, we couldn't tell if a hole was there. Obviously we went up there today and patched the roof.

So of course, it rained cats and dogs all last night and most of today here in OH and rain slowly trickled down through the hole, down the mount and into my 675. My wife heard it clicking on and off which I thought was odd, so I killed the power. There was no sign of water anywhere until I got a ladder and felt the top (actual bottom) of the unit. There was a small puddle. Terror struck. I was in the Twilight Zone.

So I took the unit down and more water leaked out so I left it upside down. I didn't want to resaturate anything or saturate something that was never wet. So I popped the bottom panel off and dried the main board (Part 1-981-721-11 dated 09/27/16). There was some white foamy and black stuff on it where it was wet so cleaned it with 99% Alcohol, dried it and lightly went over those areas with a dry toothbrush. I then unscrewed the main top cover (on bottom), propped both sides open and put a bonnet hairdryer on both sides for an hour each to warm the unit and evaporate the remaining moisture out of it. Not sure if it worked yet as I haven't powered it on. I think worst case scenario, I may need to replace the main board. Who sells these?

Nevertheless, I ordered another 675 just in case this one is done and I'm not sure if my homeowner's insurance will cover this just yet.

Any additional suggestions from the experts will be much appreciated.
Wow sorry to hear that. You could just get a repair quote from Sony, however if you have the means to order a completely new projector then go for it! I'd go for the JVC Z1 instead
post #788 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm a complete newbie and would like some advice or suggestions on our new theater room. House hasn't started yet, but the theater room dimensions are set.

The room is 18 x 11.5 feet with a 10 foot ceiling. Currently leaning towards the Sony 657ES, an acoustic transparent screen, 13 speaker Dolby ATMOS system.

I saw a demo in town and they had the 665 or 675 in a room about the same size as ours with I believe a 138 2.35:1 screen. Before I saw this demo I was considering a 120 inch screen, but was blown away by the large screen.

I found a graph on the web that shows I could manage a 140 inch 2.35:1 screen and that would equate to about a 110 inch 16:9 image on the same screen.

The other option is 145 inch 16:9 screen which equates to about a 135 inch 2.35:1 image on the same screen. That's assuming I read the graph correct.

We'll have a mixture of movies and tv, but thinking of going with the 16x9 screen.

Will the Sony work with that large a screen in that size room for 2D and 3D? Is it too much for that size room?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #789 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 8221
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgolf View Post
I'm a complete newbie and would like some advice or suggestions on our new theater room. House hasn't started yet, but the theater room dimensions are set.

The room is 18 x 11.5 feet with a 10 foot ceiling. Currently leaning towards the Sony 657ES, an acoustic transparent screen, 13 speaker Dolby ATMOS system.

I saw a demo in town and they had the 665 or 675 in a room about the same size as ours with I believe a 138 2.35:1 screen. Before I saw this demo I was considering a 120 inch screen, but was blown away by the large screen.

I found a graph on the web that shows I could manage a 140 inch 2.35:1 screen and that would equate to about a 110 inch 16:9 image on the same screen.

The other option is 145 inch 16:9 screen which equates to about a 135 inch 2.35:1 image on the same screen. That's assuming I read the graph correct.

We'll have a mixture of movies and tv, but thinking of going with the 16x9 screen.

Will the Sony work with that large a screen in that size room for 2D and 3D? Is it too much for that size room?

Thanks

I don't know why a VW675 wouldn't work on a 138" 2.35:1 screen. I'm sure some folks here have much larger screens, but I'd consider that size about right myself.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS

Last edited by Craig Peer; 02-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #790 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

Thanks

I would consider the 140 inch 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 rather then a 16:9 screen.

Most movies are wide screen with the odd one at 16:9.
If a 16:9 comes along, you simply can draw some black curtains on the left and right side to cover up the black bars.

With a 16:9 you end up with black bars at the top and bottom with wide screen material.
It's much more difficult to easily mask the bars out in this situation.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #791 of 2056 Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info.
post #792 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks

Yes the projector will do thy size but it will rely on your throw distance and making sure that it will fit with its zoom level. Go to projectorcentral.com to use its calculator for throw distances and screen size. With your room at 18' that's as far back as you can go which will limit your screen size but I think you will be fine.
post #793 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelby1216 View Post
Yes the projector will do thy size but it will rely on your throw distance and making sure that it will fit with its zoom level. Go to projectorcentral.com to use its calculator for throw distances and screen size. With your room at 18' that's as far back as you can go which will limit your screen size but I think you will be fine.
Thanks, it looks like there shouldn't be an issue with the larger screen based on their calculator.
post #794 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Wow sorry to hear that. You could just get a repair quote from Sony, however if you have the means to order a completely new projector then go for it! I'd go for the JVC Z1 instead
I actually looked into the Z1 and follow the thread, but the physical size of it won't work in my space with the screen size and throw distance I have, so the 675 is my best option. I was very satisfied with the performance of the 675, especially after the HDR tweaks provided by Harpervision.

I did try to start the unit and it's not responding at all so it appears something is fried. I'm reaching out to Allstate to see if they will cover this incident. I would also like to know how to contact Sony to get the unit repaired. I couldn't find anything on the Internet regarding projector repair.

My new 675 will be here tomorrow thankfully. I think I'm starting to have withdrawals.
Dave Harper likes this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #795 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:

Thanks

I have my 675 throwing to the 138" Cinemascope screen in my signature from about 13.75 feet and the image is excellent, so you should have plenty of room throwing lengthwise. Even with adjusting the 2.35 to the green projector guidelines on screen I do have to use the 2.35:1 Zoom to fill the entire screen, but the picture still looks outstanding. I use the Lens Memory function to change between 2.35 and 1.85 and 1.78 with precision and it's incredible. It gives movie watching the true Cinema experience on the entire screen for 2.35 movies. Crazy immersive. Yes you do get the pillars on 1.78 and 1.85 content but it doesn't bother me or my wife at all for some reason.

I had a 120" 16:9 screen and am so happy I made the switch. 1.78:1 content still looks great and the smaller size isn't even noticeable to be honest. It's still plenty big. We watched Inferno 4K on it, which is 1.78:1 and it was as large and immersive as ever. The upside is 1.85 and 2.35 content is more immersive and larger than on a 16:9 screen. I'm actually regretting I didn't make the switch to a large Cinema scope screen much sooner.

post #796 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Speaking on 2.35:1, why is it that on my 675, even though I have the Zoom and Shift adjusted to the 2.35 green lines as specified in the manual, I still have to use the 2.35 Zoom to fill the entire Cinemascope screen?

post #797 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I have my 675 throwing to the 138" Cinemascope screen in my signature from about 13.75 feet and the image is excellent, so you should have plenty of room throwing lengthwise. Even with adjusting the 2.35 to the green projector guidelines on screen I do have to use the 2.35:1 Zoom to fill the entire screen, but the picture still looks outstanding. I use the Lens Memory function to change between 2.35 and 1.85 and 1.78 with precision and it's incredible. It gives movie watching the true Cinema experience on the entire screen for 2.35 movies. Crazy immersive. Yes you do get the pillars on 1.78 and 1.85 content but it doesn't bother me or my wife at all for some reason.

I had a 120" 16:9 screen and am so happy I made the switch. 1.78:1 content still looks great and the smaller size isn't even noticeable to be honest. It's still plenty big. We watched Inferno 4K on it, which is 1.78:1 and it was as large and immersive as ever. The upside is 1.85 and 2.35 content is more immersive and larger than on a 16:9 screen. I'm actually regretting I didn't make the switch to a large Cinema scope screen much sooner.

Thanks for the first hand knowledge. Curious if you watch any 3D content and if it's bright enough to fill the entire screen or if you have to scale it down.

I keep going back and forth between 2.35:1 and 16:9, but 140 inch 2.35:1 would be nice. Thanks for your input on that.

My theater will be a dedicated room without windows, so getting it dark shouldn't be an issue. Not quite finished with the plans, but the theater rooms dimension are. It's not highlighted on the plan, but the media closet will be in the theater room and under the stairs.

post #798 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually looked into the Z1 and follow the thread, but the physical size of it won't work in my space with the screen size and throw distance I have, so the 675 is my best option. I was very satisfied with the performance of the 675, especially after the HDR tweaks provided by Harpervision.

I did try to start the unit and it's not responding at all so it appears something is fried. I'm reaching out to Allstate to see if they will cover this incident. I would also like to know how to contact Sony to get the unit repaired. I couldn't find anything on the Internet regarding projector repair.

My new 675 will be here tomorrow thankfully. I think I'm starting to have withdrawals.

Here you go!
Sony does the projectors at Laredo Texas.
This should get you to where it needs to go.

Laredo Customer Satisfaction Center Sony Electronics Inc. 11302 EastPoint Drive Building B, Suite C Laredo, Texas 78045. Voice: 866-357-6230
post #799 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Thanks for the first hand knowledge. Curious if you watch any 3D content and if it's bright enough to fill the entire screen or if you have to scale it down.
We're 3D fanatics and I own well over 100 3D movies. 3D was one of the deciding factors on why I went with the 675 and bought 10 pairs of glasses. The 675 is plenty bright for 3D and we have no problems at all. Much brighter than I anticipated. Another incredible benefit of the 675 is it upscales each eye from 1080p to near 4K with Reality Creation for a real eye-popping and crisp 3D experience. The best I've ever seen. So needless to say, a commercial 3D theater will never get my money again.
roxiedog13 likes this.

post #800 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
We're 3D fanatics and I own well over 100 3D movies. 3D was one of the deciding factors on why I went with the 675 and bought 10 pairs of glasses. The 675 is plenty bright for 3D and we have no problems at all. Much brighter than I anticipated. Another incredible benefit of the 675 is it upscales each eye from 1080p to near 4K with Reality Creation for a real eye-popping and crisp 3D experience. The best I've ever seen. So needless to say, a commercial 3D theater will never get my money again.

Sweet!

How far back are you sitting?

post #801 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Here you go!

Laredo Customer Satisfaction Center Sony Electronics Inc. 11302 EastPoint Drive Building B, Suite C Laredo, Texas 78045. Voice: 866-357-6230
Perfect. That's what I needed. Thanks a lot.

post #802 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perfect. That's what I needed. Thanks a lot.
Glad I could help.
If they have changed location since I used them, they should be able to direct you to where you need to go.
post #803 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Here you go!

United Radio in NY actually does the repairs though. That's where I sent my 350ES that had issues and was eventually replaced by a 365ES.
post #804 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Sweet!

How far back are you sitting?

About 12 feet. And on the 138", it's the perfect width for incredible 3D immersion in Cinemascope format at that distance. The Hobbit trilogy was insane in 3D.
Dave Harper and roxiedog13 like this.

post #805 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
About 12 feet. And on the 138", it's the perfect width for incredible 3D immersion in Cinemascope format at that distance. The Hobbit trilogy was insane in 3D.

Thanks again for your help.

post #806 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
United Radio in NY actually does the repairs though. That's where I sent my 350ES that had issues and was eventually replaced by a 365ES.
It was quite some time ago when I used Laredo.
Like I said, you can use this as a starting place, and get directed to where you need to be.
As I recall, back a few years ago, Sony was "cleaning house" and closing down repair facilitates. It was the same time they were doing the upgrade on my projector from 1000es to a 1100es. as a mater of fact, the guy that did my upgrade at the time was a contractor.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #807 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, my 675es will be here Friday.
Will just have to try to be patient and relax watching TV.
The trouble is that there are so many channels on D* TV, you can sit there and flip channels for ever!

post #808 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
This is even more perfect since I'm in Ohio. I'll call them and find out what I need to do. Thanks for this.

post #809 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Quote:
Thanks again for your help.

No problem at all.

post #810 of 2056 Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
No problem at all.

And I hope your insurance covers the Sony!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page