The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1111Likes

post #61 of 2036 Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
If you're referring to Frame Interpolation, yes it does and it works very well. It's called MotionFlow and depending on the signal, it has I think 6 different variations. Very smooth and fluid on everything I threw at it from 3D MVC MKV to 4K UHD Blu-ray. Also, keep in mind that the default Picture and Feature settings for all modes, including Gaming, are well done also right out of the box. I've had to do very little tweaking to get the perfect picture.

Thanks for the response however I'm confused, you say it does work for 4K and RickAVManiac says it is not working for 4K. I know it works for 1080, 1080 up-scaled to 4K and also 3D but I'm talking about 4K UHD motion flow .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2036 Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post
You have a Sony 675 ?

As reported by Ekki and Sony spec sheet, on the 675, I am pretty sure MotionFlow is not available with a 4k source.

Thanks Rick, this is also what I gathered from Ekki, couldn't find anything in the spec sheet. This was a important feature for me
not sure why it was dropped as the early reports had this feature included.

So, for those that have this unit now, if you wouldn't mind checking this feature and letting me know for sure , would be appreciated.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #63 of 2036 Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The brightness is about the same as what we experienced on the Optoma HD37, which is very good, and I'm sure will be sufficient for you as well. I haven't seen any Ghosting at all on my unit and even when operating the glasses on the Bright setting which is the default. I'm also only using the glasses recommended for the projector, which do deliver a brighter, clearer image overall. Sony TDG-BT500A 3D Glasses. The picture is plenty Bright even at the default settings. And the 3D pic appears to be upscaled to 4K for each eye. So with a clearer picture and upping the Reality Creation a little bit, you've more than likely never experienced 3D like what the 675 can put out. Unless you go with their higher end models of course.

I'm throwing at right around 13' to a 120" diagonal screen. The make/model is in my sig. The gain is 1.1, special coated, fiberglass backed. Excellent luminescence. I've also been considering upgrading to a Da-Lite motorized screen but can't visually see any reason on why I should. The picture is phenomenal and I have a hard time believing that the Da-Lite will improve the picture. If I'm wrong, someone tell me why the upgrade would be worthwhile.

Standard Sony lens. Regarding the 4K BR player, I'm using the Philips for now. I was about to go with the Panasonic but decided to wait for the Oppo, so I can compare the two and get the better of the two. I let the Sony do all of the image processing and disabled that functionality in my Denon X7200WA. No other image processing takes place at this point.

I can see the 675 being the projector to beat moving forward for quite a while. And with HLG already being in place for 4K UHD broadcasts, with no other 4K projector even having HLG yet, the 675 is creating quite a bit of space between it and the closest competitor IMO. I'm thoroughly satisfied and content enough to not be able to justify another projector purchase for years. There would have to be major very noticeable enhancements to make me upgrade. Even my wife has been blown away at the performance of this projector and feels that this was money well spent and a worthwhile upgrade/investment. She thought I was nuts to spend $15K on a "projector". She doesn't feel that way anymore at all because now she knows that the money was spent on a "visual experience" not just a projector.

Thanks a million, saw your next post as well, after I already responded, so you can ignore. When you do figure it out for sure please do let me know. I do think it is not available for 4K based on what I have read and that is disappointing. I'm sure the motion is descent on 4K anyway, I didn't use motion flow on my Sony like I use FI on the RS600, I just didn't seem to need it.

12' throw is really short and I assume the 120" screen you have is 2.35:1. If it was 16:9 120" I don't think you could fill that size with only 12' of throw. Great throw distance and screen size for 3D and HDR, you will have the most light available with that set up. HLG is not a feature I will probably use personally as I do not watch TV , stream any programing on my projector , nor do I game. Movies only and the odd bit of sports I suppose but that is it .

Without a HDFury Integral in the chain you cannot change UHD 4K HDR to SDR, I assume you are satisfied with the HDR results. The new Oppo is also not able to deny the HDR at this point, unless you have a Lumagen Pro then you are running UHD HDR as is to the Sony. How's that working out over all? I personally find it too dark, so I prefer to change the HDR to SDR BT2020 which allows the DI to work again on the RS600. The VW675 can still use the DI while displaying HDR I believe, maybe this is why you are OK with it.

Great projector, happy you and your family are enjoying it . It's certainly future proof enough to get by the next couple of years with current movie specs, unless that changes you are set.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 12-02-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
They were supposed to show up in Canada end of November, now it's going to be the new year apparently.
What a bummer! It seems Sony have had a hard time to keep up the production rate and Europe also had a lot of backorders but now it seems that dealers are starting to have these in stock again. I was really surprised when my dealer emailed me this week and told me that it was ready for pickup. Maybe Canada will get them a bit earlier as well if Sony caught up.

Still havn`t installed mine because i need to lay new HDMI cables which takes time..
Will write a quick review maybe tomorrow or early next week
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #65 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Thanks Rick, this is also what I gathered from Ekki, couldn't find anything in the spec sheet. This was a important feature for me
not sure why it was dropped as the early reports had this feature included.

So, for those that have this unit now, if you wouldn't mind checking this feature and letting me know for sure , would be appreciated.

Yes, if motion flow is not available on 4K sources, how does it do with side panning with detailed images or closely spaced vertical edges? I have the 95ES now, and use it on low which works fairly well, but without it on a 4K image with even greater detail the blurring would drive me to distraction as it did on my prior RS20 which led me to the Sony.
post #66 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Yes, if motion flow is not available on 4K sources, how does it do with side panning with detailed images or closely spaced vertical edges? I have the 95ES now, and use it on low which works fairly well, but without it on a 4K image with even greater detail the blurring would drive me to distraction as it did on my prior RS20 which led me to the Sony.
It's not available for sure. You simply need to rely on it's native motion handling which is quite good. I am extremely sensitive to judder and I could live with it but I would much prefer to have it available.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #67 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
What a bummer! It seems Sony have had a hard time to keep up the production rate and Europe also had a lot of backorders but now it seems that dealers are starting to have these in stock again. I was really surprised when my dealer emailed me this week and told me that it was ready for pickup. Maybe Canada will get them a bit earlier as well if Sony caught up.

Still havn`t installed mine because i need to lay new HDMI cables which takes time..

Wow , you really have patience . Any time I have a new projector I cannot sleep until I have it installed and running. You could have used your old HDMI cable if it was inside a wall, just need one of these : https://www.conferenceroomav.com/Ethereal-/HDM-GA1.cfm When JVC displayed their new RS4500 they used this devise apparently . If I had my time back I would have done that too. Running new cables inside the walls and ceiling was a nasty process that I would rather not have done. What started as a 2 hour walk in the park ended up being a 10 hour nightmare .
BakeApples likes this.

post #68 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
It's not available for sure. You simply need to rely on it's native motion handling which is quite good. I am extremely sensitive to judder and I could live with it but I would much prefer to have it available.

I think I actually confused the DI feature for HDR with the FI at 4K . I'm not sure it was ever going to be available , I just had the two mixed up in my head .

Indeed the native motion handling is good and I miss that. I can't put my finger on why the motion on the JVC messes with my equilibrium but it does cause me grief at times.

post #69 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Indeed the native motion handling is good and I miss that. I can't put my finger on why the motion on the JVC messes with my equilibrium but it does cause me grief at times.
Exactly the same, I can't tell you why but I just cannot tolerate J motion. Our brains must be processing at a much higher rate

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #70 of 2036 Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 474 Post(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Exactly the same, I can't tell you why but I just cannot tolerate J motion. Our brains must be processing at a much higher rate
You call it motion, I call it flicker...

Ever get a headache with Florescent light bulbs sometimes? Same thing. I am 100% sure the phenomenon you are talking about is bulb flicker from the electrical arc in the lamp.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #71 of 2036 Old 12-04-2016, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
You call it motion, I call it flicker...

Ever get a headache with Florescent light bulbs sometimes? Same thing. I am 100% sure the phenomenon you are talking about is bulb flicker from the electrical arc in the lamp.
Could be but I never got sick of those lights before. Perhaps it's the combination of motion and flicker?

post #72 of 2036 Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If only JVC could correct this flickering or what to call it. Personally, i can`t stand it and it`s the main reason for me to choose Sony which have always had a very calm looking image without this type of distraction. I also find the Sony image to look more natural where i find the JVC to be more "digital looking".
Although these differences are very small, they become apparent in my eyes at least.

Other than this, i really liked the image from the RS600 when i watched it.

I also noticed that the LS10000 didn`t have this flickering either when i saw it recently, very good motion and calm looking image.
Dave Harper and Bandyka like this.
post #73 of 2036 Old 12-04-2016, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow , you really have patience . Any time I have a new projector I cannot sleep until I have it installed and running. You could have used your old HDMI cable if it was inside a wall, just need one of these : https://www.conferenceroomav.com/Ethereal-/HDM-GA1.cfm When JVC displayed their new RS4500 they used this devise apparently . If I had my time back I would have done that too. Running new cables inside the walls and ceiling was a nasty process that I would rather not have done. What started as a 2 hour walk in the park ended up being a 10 hour nightmare .
Tell me about it I already purchased new premium high speed cables a while back so i had to go to through the process, luckily i didn`t have to run them inside the walls because i have my HT in my livingroom so it`s just inside a cable channel running along the walls. But when there is a bunch of others cables that also need room it can be quite challenging to close the channel.

Last edited by BakeApples; 12-04-2016 at 03:06 AM.
post #74 of 2036 Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Thanks a million, saw your next post as well, after I already responded, so you can ignore. When you do figure it out for sure please do let me know. I do think it is not available for 4K based on what I have read and that is disappointing. I'm sure the motion is descent on 4K anyway, I didn't use motion flow on my Sony like I use FI on the RS600, I just didn't seem to need it.
Actually the only MotionFlow option available on 4K sources is "Impulse". It does work well however but as well as other options.

Quote:
12' throw is really short and I assume the 120" screen you have is 2.35:1. If it was 16:9 120" I don't think you could fill that size with only 12' of throw. Great throw distance and screen size for 3D and HDR, you will have the most light available with that set up. HLG is not a feature I will probably use personally as I do not watch TV , stream any programing on my projector , nor do I game. Movies only and the odd bit of sports I suppose but that is it.
It's actually right around 13' not 12', which is farther that the minimum distance of a little over 12'. And yes the brightness is great. It's a 16:9 screen also.

Quote:
Without a HDFury Integral in the chain you cannot change UHD 4K HDR to SDR, I assume you are satisfied with the HDR results. The new Oppo is also not able to deny the HDR at this point, unless you have a Lumagen Pro then you are running UHD HDR as is to the Sony. How's that working out over all? I personally find it too dark, so I prefer to change the HDR to SDR BT2020 which allows the DI to work again on the RS600. The VW675 can still use the DI while displaying HDR I believe, maybe this is why you are OK with it.

Great projector, happy you and your family are enjoying it . It's certainly future proof enough to get by the next couple of years with current movie specs, unless that changes you are set.
We think the 3D and HDR looks fantastic and don't feel we need anything else in place. Maybe because we're operating the projector at almost the bare minimum projection distance, we were able to squeeze enough light out of it to provide the brightness we need.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #75 of 2036 Old 12-04-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If only JVC could correct this flickering or what to call it. Personally, i can`t stand it and it`s the main reason for me to choose Sony which have always had a very calm looking image without this type of distraction. I also find the Sony image to look more natural where i find the JVC to be more "digital looking".
Although these differences are very small, they become apparent in my eyes at least.

Other than this, i really liked the image from the RS600 when i watched it.

I also noticed that the LS10000 didn`t have this flickering either when i saw it recently, very good motion and calm looking image.
You are bang on about this on all 3 parts.

post #76 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
First review I have seen

trustedreviews.com/sony-vpl-vw550es-review
post #77 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So how do you guys find HDR gaming on this thing? Anyone tested it yet? Is it comparable to a TV?

post #78 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0ws View Post
First review I have seen

trustedreviews.com/sony-vpl-vw550es-review

Cinehome4 did a review beginning of November .

https://translate.google.ca/translat...e/&prev=search

post #79 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You must be busy setting up, haven't heard a sound from you.

post #80 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Cinehome4 did a review beginning of November .

https://translate.google.ca/translat...e/&prev=search
Yes, a very positive review.

Very curious myself to see the dynamic iris working in HDR and the new Reality Creation algorithm.
post #81 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
If the upgrade from the 665 to the 675 is as noticeable and positive as the one from the 350 to the 365ES, then you're in for a treat!

I'm thinking I'm going to ISF Calibrate and package up this VPL-VW365ES with the Panasonic UB900 and an HDFury Linker and sell it in the Classifieds here as an all in one ISF Calibrated UHD/ 4K Bluray/HDR package at an awesome price, below MSRP for the 365ES alone! I'm going to do this so I can get some additional capital to upgrade to the 675ES for my ISF demo room.
Bandyka likes this.
post #82 of 2036 Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
B&H Photo has a few in stock. That's where I got mine from. It was overnighted also for about $40 to get it last Friday for weekend installation. I also grabbed a 50ft Celerity HDMI over Fiber with Detachable Ends cable from MyCableMart to drive the signal and it is phenomenal. Crazy clear with very quick reponse times. The cable is about as thick as four sticks of hard spaghetti and my picture is un frickin real. And I've never seen 3D this good in my life. With the Reality Creation feature it's absolutely stunning. Just stunning.
I wish I could get it from somewhere other than Magnolia! But I'm paying a fraction of its retail price through them so I'm stuck. Was supposed to get it Dec 1st so called up their corporate center they said they won't be getting any so my order will get cancelled in 2 weeks. Told them this thing just got released so I'm sure they'll get more. But she seemed to think otherwise and told me they had 2 more orders that were being cancelled in another week also. I'm pissed and don't want to settle on a 365. Anyone order through Magnolia run into issues?
post #83 of 2036 Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
I wish I could get it from somewhere other than Magnolia! But I'm paying a fraction of its retail price through them so I'm stuck. Was supposed to get it Dec 1st so called up their corporate center they said they won't be getting any so my order will get cancelled in 2 weeks. Told them this thing just got released so I'm sure they'll get more. But she seemed to think otherwise and told me they had 2 more orders that were being cancelled in another week also. I'm pissed and don't want to settle on a 365. Anyone order through Magnolia run into issues?
Sent you a PM.
-Melgon
post #84 of 2036 Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I currently own a vw600es, and am curious about what contrast differences are between 4k HDR and SDR.

Seems to me, you see the picture in either mode from ~.01 FL to ~ 1400-1600FL. so the brightest items are the same, and the darkest items are the same. Seems like HDR must compress the range of the 'lower' brightness areas to provide the headroom so the brightest items seem brighter. So for much of the 'normal' portions of the picture, SDR uses more of the capability of the projector, or a wider portion of the total contrast range. Seems this would make for more variance or range available for much of the movie using SDR.

Obviously if you have more lamp than you can use (5000es), you can really take advantage of HDR. High lamp mode also increases black level, so that isn't likely a setting I would use for most viewing, and would impact SDR and HDR similarly.

So how do you think the two modes really compare? Does the higher bit rate of HDR offset the compression of the 'normal' portions (may be the same for SDR?)

Trying to fight upgraditess, as I really want my next 4k projector to have FI.

Thanks for any input. (I posted this in the 665 thread also)

Paul
post #85 of 2036 Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
I currently own a vw600es, and am curious about what contrast differences are between 4k HDR and SDR.

Seems to me, you see the picture in either mode from ~.01 FL to ~ 1400-1600FL. so the brightest items are the same, and the darkest items are the same. Seems like HDR must compress the range of the 'lower' brightness areas to provide the headroom so the brightest items seem brighter. So for much of the 'normal' portions of the picture, SDR uses more of the capability of the projector, or a wider portion of the total contrast range. Seems this would make for more variance or range available for much of the movie using SDR.

Obviously if you have more lamp than you can use (5000es), you can really take advantage of HDR. High lamp mode also increases black level, so that isn't likely a setting I would use for most viewing, and would impact SDR and HDR similarly.

So how do you think the two modes really compare? Does the higher bit rate of HDR offset the compression of the 'normal' portions (may be the same for SDR?)

Trying to fight upgraditess, as I really want my next 4k projector to have FI.

Thanks for any input. (I posted this in the 665 thread also)

Paul

I had the VW600 , bought the JVC RS600 I have now, my VW675ES ordered yesterday, hoping to have for the holidays.

Don't fret over the HDR none of the projectors can do it properly and most get most benefits from converting HDR to SDR BT2020.
The 675 does have the DI working for 4K and the new HDR slider so it could be a little better. Problem is HDR was intended for
5000nits and above, our projectors can only do 100nits at best, even the 5000 lumen Sony will struggle with that. HDR is just another
sales gimmick , got to have feature that doesn't cut the mustard .
muzeka likes this.

post #86 of 2036 Old 12-09-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
my VW675ES ordered yesterday, hoping to have for the holidays.
Cool

I am thinking about ordering one for me too...
post #87 of 2036 Old 12-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had the VW600 , bought the JVC RS600 I have now, my VW675ES ordered yesterday, hoping to have for the holidays.
Nice roxiedog! You will not regret it.
This is by far the best projector i have seen to date and i still havn`t played any UHD blu-rays on it yet. I wonder how that will look?
post #88 of 2036 Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice roxiedog! You will not regret it.
This is by far the best projector i have seen to date and i still havn`t played any UHD blu-rays on it yet. I wonder how that will look?

If a movie was recorded 4K or higher then you can see a difference , nothing substantial . A movie mastered 4K on blue ray looks almost as good to my eyes
really. HDR is all over the place because we are left to guess the settings as the source does not have the mapping on board . HDR Movies are made for 1000 to 4000 nits' so it's a bit of a crap shoot, then add to this the projectors do not have the brightness anyway. If you have a HD Fury or Lumagen Pro you can deny the HDR and instead allow SDR BT2020 which IMHO the hidden jem . Then again the 675 will have the DI working for HDR, the JVC RS600 cannot. Many can set up the JVC to display descent HDR but the fades to black end up more grey and this is one of the negatives most do not like. Even with DI for HDR I expect the SDR BT2020 will be better. You'll have it figured out before me I expect.

post #89 of 2036 Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If a movie was recorded 4K or higher then you can see a difference , nothing substantial . A movie mastered 4K on blue ray looks almost as good to my eyes
really. HDR is all over the place because we are left to guess the settings as the source does not have the mapping on board . HDR Movies are made for 1000 to 4000 nits' so it's a bit of a crap shoot, then add to this the projectors do not have the brightness anyway. If you have a HD Fury or Lumagen Pro you can deny the HDR and instead allow SDR BT2020 which IMHO the hidden jem . Then again the 675 will have the DI working for HDR, the JVC RS600 cannot. Many can set up the JVC to display descent HDR but the fades to black end up more grey and this is one of the negatives most do not like. Even with DI for HDR I expect the SDR BT2020 will be better. You'll have it figured out before me I expect.
Congrats! I am using the Fury as well and it does it's magic pretty well SDR/WCG looks pretty awesome, will be interesting to see what you think of the working DI now after having the J without it. Will be also interesting to see how the new J PJ will handle this.

Another option is to get a Lumagne Pro to remap HDR to 100 nits that I guess would look semi-proper.

post #90 of 2036 Old 12-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
I can fudge a 365es using various settings to get a good HDR image on screen, so I'm sure you should be able to even easier with the 675es.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page