The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1110Likes

post #1051 of 2031 Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by perioms View Post
I`ve got one question. How is it possible, to save picture mode setting and dynamic range setting together, because the last one seems to be a global setting. This is necessary to adjust the HDR settings from Dave Harper.

Unfortunately you can't. I wouldn't use that Enhanced setting as gospel either. It seems to be source dependent after using those settings for a few different discs. I would leave it at Limited/Standard unless you see a certain disc seems to need a little more "ooomph", but make sure to reset the black and white levels along with that.

On The Revenant at the time it did seem
to help, plus there has been reports that certain engineers from some brands that make HDR projectors have said that you should use Enhanced mode. It looked good on the Sony once levels were readjusted, but with the Epson 5040 it seemed to raise the black floor, similar to raising backlight on LCD TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 2031 Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Everyone -

I recently sold my JVC DLA-RS500U and purchased the Sony VPL-VW675ES, and couldn't be happier - the picture quality is simply outstanding with 4K.

One issue I'm having - the brightness of the projector is very high (typically a good thing) even on Low Lamp power, the intensity of whites during moving is almost blinding in my home theater room on the HD Progressive 1.1 screen.

On the JVC, I had the ability to control the dynamic iris and turn down the light output for my preference.

On the Sony - in the Dynamic Iris menu, there is the option of "Brightness" - but when changing this value, I don't see any change to the light-output of the projector. I can set it to MIN all the way up to 100, and the light-output to the screen appears the same, I don't see any change?

Am I doing something wrong? If I reduce the Brightness under the "Dynamic Iris" menu, shouldn't this be closing the Iris and limiting the light output, similar to the control on the JVC?

Is there maybe something wrong in the current firmware of the projector, not allowing the control of the Iris? When the iris is opening/closing, should I be able to hear this (the JVC had a mechanical noise when the iris would shift) on the Sony? I don't hear anything changing, so is maybe the iris not working properly?

Thanks for everyone's help!
post #1053 of 2031 Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Quoted: 6704 Post(s)
Liked: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Koegler View Post
Hey Everyone -

I recently sold my JVC DLA-RS500U and purchased the Sony VPL-VW675ES, and couldn't be happier - the picture quality is simply outstanding with 4K.

One issue I'm having - the brightness of the projector is very high (typically a good thing) even on Low Lamp power, the intensity of whites during moving is almost blinding in my home theater room on the HD Progressive 1.1 screen.

On the JVC, I had the ability to control the dynamic iris and turn down the light output for my preference.

On the Sony - in the Dynamic Iris menu, there is the option of "Brightness" - but when changing this value, I don't see any change to the light-output of the projector. I can set it to MIN all the way up to 100, and the light-output to the screen appears the same, I don't see any change?

Am I doing something wrong? If I reduce the Brightness under the "Dynamic Iris" menu, shouldn't this be closing the Iris and limiting the light output, similar to the control on the JVC?

Is there maybe something wrong in the current firmware of the projector, not allowing the control of the Iris? When the iris is opening/closing, should I be able to hear this (the JVC had a mechanical noise when the iris would shift) on the Sony? I don't hear anything changing, so is maybe the iris not working properly?

Thanks for everyone's help!
Try Dynamic LIMITED rather than FULL?

Or turn off Dynamic completely and try then.

Else, your iris may be stuck.
Dave Harper likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 2031 Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried the Limited versus Full mode, and I do see a change - but the effect is rather minimal. Even on the "Off" mode, I can see a change from MIN to 100 mode, but it seems to be a very limited change, not a significant shift. Maybe a reduction in light output of 10% to 20%, but it still leaves full-whites too bright (to the point it is tough on the eyes).

Is this just the norm with the Sony, or is there potentially an issue? Can anyone test this and see how much of a light shift this creates? I would have guessed the "MIN" mode would make the screen near-dark (similar to reducing the iris fully on the JVC), or is the effect limited on the Sony?
post #1055 of 2031 Old 04-08-2017, 09:28 PM

What is your contrast set to and is it set with a test pattern?
post #1056 of 2031 Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Koegler View Post
I tried the Limited versus Full mode, and I do see a change - but the effect is rather minimal. Even on the "Off" mode, I can see a change from MIN to 100 mode, but it seems to be a very limited change, not a significant shift. Maybe a reduction in light output of 10% to 20%, but it still leaves full-whites too bright (to the point it is tough on the eyes).

Is this just the norm with the Sony, or is there potentially an issue? Can anyone test this and see how much of a light shift this creates? I would have guessed the "MIN" mode would make the screen near-dark (similar to reducing the iris fully on the JVC), or is the effect limited on the Sony?
Do you see your lens iris closing when you look at your lens?

Ps Don't look directly into the lens, you should be able to see it from off to the side

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1057 of 2031 Old 04-09-2017, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Unfortunately you can't. I wouldn't use that Enhanced setting as gospel either. It seems to be source dependent after using those settings for a few different discs. I would leave it at Limited/Standard unless you see a certain disc seems to need a little more "ooomph", but make sure to reset the black and white levels along with that.

On The Revenant at the time it did seem
to help, plus there has been reports that certain engineers from some brands that make HDR projectors have said that you should use Enhanced mode. It looked good on the Sony once levels were readjusted, but with the Epson 5040 it seemed to raise the black floor, similar to raising backlight on LCD TVs.
I am using the Sony with with an Oppo 203. I calibrated the Sony with the RM_UHD_HDR10_Test_Pattern_Suite. For this configuration it was necessary to set the Dynamic Range of the Sony to FULL. Otherwise You lose all the low levels. Until now I don`t know, if this is a bug from the Oppo. This behaviour is annoying, because every time, when You switch from UHD to BD, You have to go in the menu from the Sony. The Dynamic Range setting is global.
post #1058 of 2031 Old 04-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perioms View Post
I am using the Sony with with an Oppo 203. I calibrated the Sony with the RM_UHD_HDR10_Test_Pattern_Suite. For this configuration it was necessary to set the Dynamic Range of the Sony to FULL. Otherwise You lose all the low levels. Until now I don`t know, if this is a bug from the Oppo. This behaviour is annoying, because every time, when You switch from UHD to BD, You have to go in the menu from the Sony. The Dynamic Range setting is global.

That must be something in the Oppo, because I could always get all levels of black and white if I adjusted brightness and contrast when I've used everything from the Xbox one S, Philips UHD BR and Panasonic UB900.

I do agree though, that using Full can seem to help a lot with the Sony on HDR.
post #1059 of 2031 Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can anybody post some experience how the lamp performs in terms of light loss?
post #1060 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Does anyone know when the replacement model for the 675ES ie. the 685ES would be announced by Sony? Are we looking years end? I was looking at the JVC X9500 but that has a few issues reading the owners thread and banding thread. The Sony 675ES is lacking a few features the X9500 has. It would seem there is no perfect projector or one that does it all unless you are willing to spend $$$$.

I'm now hoping the 685ES will incorporate some more up to date features and improvements and until then continue to hold onto my trusty Marantz DLP projector. When was the 675ES announced as that would give an indication on when to expect its replacement. IFA 2017 in September?
post #1061 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Does anyone know when the replacement model for the 675ES ie. the 685ES would be announced by Sony? Are we looking years end? I was looking at the JVC X9500 but that has a few issues reading the owners thread and banding thread. The Sony 675ES is lacking a few features the X9500 has. It would seem there is no perfect projector or one that does it all unless you are willing to spend $$$$.

I'm now hoping the 685ES will incorporate some more up to date features and improvements and until then continue to hold onto my trusty Marantz DLP projector. When was the 675ES announced as that would give an indication on when to expect its replacement. IFA 2017 in September?

Likely beginning of the 4th quarter. But they might also skip the update this year for the 5xx serie and solely update the 320ES and/or replace the 1100ES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1062 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm now hoping the 685ES will incorporate some more up to date features and improvements and until then continue to hold onto my trusty Marantz DLP projector. When was the 675ES announced as that would give an indication on when to expect its replacement. IFA 2017 in September?[/QUOTE]

Shame the current versions of projectors are not made as well as those old Marantz DLP's. THat was my first foray into projectors, and if mine didnt get damaged during a move, i would probably still own that one. They were built like tanks and their optics were always top notch. I have been on the outlook for a used 3 chipper that marketed right before they got out of the market but i have only seen one on the used market and it got snapped up before i got the chance to even inquire about it
post #1063 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Yes, likely the end of year. I got my 550 in december 2016 but i think they started shipping ever earlier in november. So any announcement should come around this time if they plan to replace the 550/675.
Personally, i am more than satisfied with the features on the 550 and there's really nothing that i feel is missing currently. Therefore i am more looking forward to a replacement for the VW1100, supposedly with a laser light source. That would make me really excited for a upgrade later on.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #1064 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11463 Post(s)
Liked: 9055
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

You might want to go check one out for yourself as far as banding is concerned. While it is there, it is not near the issue that it is being made out to be. No more so than the banding and posterization that some see with Sony projectors. In other words it is there, but few are really bothered by it. All projectors have small flaws. If waiting for the perfect projector, you will be sitting on the sidelines forever.

Sony and JVC should make their announcements at IFA and CEDIA in September. Then new models would usually ship between October and end of the year. Usually closer to end of the year.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1065 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Which is why I am looking at a "close enough" temp solution until then.
post #1066 of 2031 Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you everyone for their replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
All projectors have small flaws. If waiting for the perfect projector, you will be sitting on the sidelines forever.
I would be the first to agree with that but my Marantz has tide me over until now so I can wait a bit longer.

Quote:
Sony and JVC should make their announcements at IFA and CEDIA in September. Then new models would usually ship between October and end of the year. Usually closer to end of the year.
Thanks Mike. I will wait until the next range releases.
post #1067 of 2031 Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for their replies.

I would be the first to agree with that but my Marantz has tide me over until now so I can wait a bit longer.

Thanks Mike. I will wait until the next range releases.
I am quite familiar with the Marantz projectors. Gave away a 15S1 to my brother a little over a year ago and still have a VP-12S4 sitting in storage. My RS45 was a step up over the 15S1 and the VW600 and RS600 were steps up over the RS45. Had them at same time, so I could compare side to side.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1068 of 2031 Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am quite familiar with the Marantz projectors. Gave away a 15S1 to my brother a little over a year ago and still have a VP-12S4 sitting in storage. My RS45 was a step up over the 15S1 and the VW600 and RS600 were steps up over the RS45. Had them at same time, so I could compare side to side.
Thanks Mike. Maybe I'm just so accustomed to that DLP "pop" or look (ANSI contrast?).
post #1069 of 2031 Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike. Maybe I'm just so accustomed to that DLP "pop" or look (ANSI contrast?).
That is not ANSI that gives the pop. My RS600 gave more pop than the Marantz. Has more to do with Gamma.
post #1070 of 2031 Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:

I put 211 hours on those two projectors, the VW675 has a much sharper picture and the image will just have a more naturalistic calm appearance that only a true 4K can produce . The JVC is great and from the seat very convincing until you start to a/b the two . JVC produces better fade to black but on normal APL Sony is just as good.
I have no idea why people still talk about banding or posterization on the Sony, it's long since dealt with . Any posterization I have seen on the Sony was on the JVC because it exists in the source.
If you are a hard core gamer the Sony may be a bottleneck for 4K . I have yet to bottleneck my projector on any source material and I have most 4K HDR movies made. 4K HDR standards for now and into the foreseeable future require 8bit 4:2:0 24P .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #1071 of 2031 Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I put 211 hours on those two projectors, the VW675 has a much sharper picture and the image will just have a more naturalistic calm appearance that only a true 4K can produce . The JVC is great and from the seat very convincing until you start to a/b the two . JVC produces better fade to black but on normal APL Sony is just as good.
I have no idea why people still talk about banding or posterization on the Sony, it's long since dealt with . Any posterization I have seen on the Sony was on the JVC because it exists in the source.
If you are a hard core gamer the Sony may be a bottleneck for 4K . I have yet to bottleneck my projector on any source material and I have most 4K HDR movies made. 4K HDR standards for now and into the foreseeable future require 8bit 4:2:0 24P .
The very fact that you deny banding and posterization means I could never trust your judgement on anything. I realize you don't care what I think, but I just want others to see this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #1072 of 2031 Old 04-15-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
...... 4K HDR standards for now and into the foreseeable future require 8bit 4:2:0 24P .

I think you mean 10 bit 4:2:0 for HDR 4K.
post #1073 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I think you mean 10 bit 4:2:0 for HDR 4K.

4K standards below:

8 bit I'm pretty sure will cover it off, those with VW655 have no issues. It says up to 10 bit color.
Easy enough to confuse certainly.

Bottom line though is there are no limitations to playing any 4K movies now and well into the future.
My library is still 90% 1080 and the Sony is particularly good at upscaling this material .

Up to 4K resolution
4:2:0 color sub-sampling
Up to 10 bit color
Up to 60 frames per second
Support for wide color gamuts (REC.2020)
Support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision
No 3D support
HDCP2.2

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #1074 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The very fact that you deny banding and posterization means I could never trust your judgement on anything. I realize you don't care what I think, but I just want others to see this.

Like I said I have never seen it on one that is not on the other. Go read what @ccool96 has said a few times now," It was noticeable , software removed it and he has not seen the issue since." I do trust his judgement and I trust my own eyes . I noticed the CMD banding issue on the RS600 when my attention was brought to it. I can still see it when I use FI now that I am aware of the problem . Posterization and banding was brought to my attention as a problem with Sony a while back and likewise I have kept an eye out for it . As I stated I have not seen it on one not on the other.

No one ever denied it may have been an issue, it obviously must have been dealt with . Sony listened and fixed the issue, did what they were supposed to as it should be. ccool96 and myself are not the only ones to state the issue is non existent either, I doubt only the two of us received the software fix .

If I haven't seen this in 211 hours of critical a/b viewing then it's removed or so insignificant as to be irrelevant.

post #1075 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Yes, likely the end of year. I got my 550 in december 2016 but i think they started shipping ever earlier in november. So any announcement should come around this time if they plan to replace the 550/675.
Personally, i am more than satisfied with the features on the 550 and there's really nothing that i feel is missing currently. Therefore i am more looking forward to a replacement for the VW1100, supposedly with a laser light source. That would make me really excited for a upgrade later on.

I also am looking forward to the vw1100 successor as it is speculated to be the long throw version of the current short throw laser. I would think the extra potential brightness of laser will make HDR content really shine...ok, that was lame. I'm sure the cost will be in the 20K range but still cheaper than current full 4K laser projectors.
post #1076 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K standards below:

8 bit I'm pretty sure will cover it off, those with VW655 have no issues. It says up to 10 bit color.
Easy enough to confuse certainly.

Bottom line though is there are no limitations to playing any 4K movies now and well into the future.
My library is still 90% 1080 and the Sony is particularly good at upscaling this material .

Up to 4K resolution
4:2:0 color sub-sampling
Up to 10 bit color
Up to 60 frames per second
Support for wide color gamuts (REC.2020)
Support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision
No 3D support
HDCP2.2
UHD BR at 24p is 10 Bit in all cases.

-
post #1077 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Like I said I have never seen it on one that is not on the other. Go read what @ccool96 has said a few times now," It was noticeable , software removed it and he has not seen the issue since." I do trust his judgement and I trust my own eyes . I noticed the CMD banding issue on the RS600 when my attention was brought to it. I can still see it when I use FI now that I am aware of the problem . Posterization and banding was brought to my attention as a problem with Sony a while back and likewise I have kept an eye out for it . As I stated I have not seen it on one not on the other.

No one ever denied it may have been an issue, it obviously must have been dealt with . Sony listened and fixed the issue, did what they were supposed to as it should be. ccool96 and myself are not the only ones to state the issue is non existent either, I doubt only the two of us received the software fix .

If I haven't seen this in 211 hours of critical a/b viewing then it's removed or so insignificant as to be irrelevant.
He was specifically talking about the 5000ES. I've already told you this at least 3 times now. You CANNOT take his statement and use it for models he hasn't owned or seen. Can you please post a l ink to that post where you're quoting him. I've never seen him mention it in a way that seems like it's completely gone. The only time I've seen him talk about it he's said it's been reduced and much less noticeable.

Last edited by Seegs108; 04-16-2017 at 06:26 AM.
post #1078 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

If anyone thinks banding & posterization is an issue on the 550/675 to the degree that it`s a distraction to the viewing experience, i would seriously question what they think is a major issue in the image. I would also question if they actually watch the movie or just keep looking for faults in the image. Because not once since i bought my 550 have i felt like banding is a issue while watching. And i am usually very sensitive to all kind of artifacts. There is absolutely nothing distracting in the image produced by the 675 in my opinion and even though the VW5000 was the only pj who apparently got the special software to reduce these artifacts, i can`t imagine why the 675would not have had the same type of software installed from factory. Especially given that the announcement about this software came before the 675 launch so they would have had plenty of time to implement it.
Dave Harper likes this.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #1079 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
If anyone thinks banding & posterization is an issue on the 550/675 to the degree that it`s a distraction to the viewing experience, i would seriously question what they think is a major issue in the image. I would also question if they actually watch the movie or just keep looking for faults in the image. Because not once since i bought my 550 have i felt like banding is a issue while watching. And i am usually very sensitive to all kind of artifacts. There is absolutely nothing distracting in the image produced by the 675 in my opinion and even though the VW5000 was the only pj who apparently got the special software to reduce these artifacts, i can`t imagine why the 675would not have had the same type of software installed from factory. Especially given that the announcement about this software came before the 675 launch so they would have had plenty of time to implement it.
It's not about how obvious the artifact is, it's more about what it takes away from the image. If we look here you'll see the issue takes out fine detail from the source it should be putting on screen:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184516

With that said, you can't make assumptions that the 675ES automatically got the update the 5000ES received to lower the artifact's occurrance. The two have two totally different video processors from a software standpoint and that would mean time and money would have been needed to give the fix to the 676ES too. I would love if Javs could get his hands on one to take some comparison photos to see if the issue is gone, lessened or still there in the same amount. If Sony has finally resolved panel degradation as it seems, this is the last major issue I have with 4K SXRD projectors and like the FI problem on JVC projectors I'm going to complain about it until it's gone.
post #1080 of 2031 Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It's not about how obvious the artifact is, it's more about what it takes away from the image. If we look here you'll see the issue takes out fine detail from the source it should be putting on screen:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184516

With that said, you can't make assumptions that the 675ES automatically got the update the 5000ES received to lower the artifact's occurrance. The two have two totally different video processors from a software standpoint and that would mean time and money would have been needed to give the fix to the 676ES too. I would love if Javs could get his hands on one to take some comparison photos to see if the issue is gone, lessened or still there in the same amount. If Sony has finally resolved panel degradation as it seems, this is the last major issue I have with 4K SXRD projectors and like the FI problem on JVC projectors I'm going to complain about it until it's gone.
Fair enough but if Sony was aware of the issue with banding & posterization on the 5000 and developed this special software and also knowing that the 675 launch was just around the corner, don`t you think that they at least gave a thought to add these measures to the 675 also, even if it meant that they needed to write new code because of the different video processors?
I am no expert in programming but my guess is that if they managed to figure out how to solve the problem on the 5000, they would also have the foundation to develop a variant of the software to work with the 675 and thus shortening the time and money needed.

But this is just a guess on my part so we will probably never know how they went about unless someone can confirm directly with Sony engineers.

Either way, it`s a non issue for me so i will not continue this discussion but i just wanted share my thoughts. If anyone else thinks the banding & posterization is a big issue on the 675, please share your thoughts. I am curious to know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page