The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1115Likes

post #1801 of 2038 Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post
I have a Sony 665ES (virtually identical to your Sony 675ES) and when trying to update the projector's firmware I ran into exactly the problem that you described. The issue turned out to be using my Mac to prepare the USB flash drive. The Mac leaves hidden folders on the flash drive and these stop the Sony from doing the update. There are two solutions: (1) If you have Windows installed under Bootcamp on your Mac, boot into Windows, format the flash drive and install the downloaded firmware at the root level of the flash drive. (2) Use a PC to carry out the firmware update process for your Sony 675ES.

Tom
I also had this exact problem (with a 675) when trying to use my Mac. I even removed the hidden files on the USB and that still did not work. Used my Windows computer at work and the update worked fine.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2038 Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks. Guilty as charged...Mac user here. My work machine is a pc but encrypted and prevents offloading to a thumb drive. I’ll have to figure a way to boot my MBP to w8ndows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #1803 of 2038 Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
Thanks. Guilty as charged...Mac user here. My work machine is a pc but encrypted and prevents offloading to a thumb drive. I’ll have to figure a way to boot my MBP to w8ndows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe give one of the USB cleaner utilities a go?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usbc...07406031?mt=12
http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

Unrelated, the German Custom curves have been updated, and they now list the 550/675 as an option with curves for it.
https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/5svvtks3#file

Regards the instructions in the spreadsheet, it translates something like:
The Forums Edition 2.0 contains a variety of ready-made curves, which have finely graduated an ever brighter reference white.

The CustomCurveCalculator determines the peak brightness of your configuration and makes a recommendation (green box).

The recommendation is designed so that a film in SDR at about 16-18 footlambert in HDR should not appear darker.

Of course, the curves can also be manually selected and recorded, should the recommendation not meet the expectations.

It should be noted that as the brightness increases (reference white), the punctuation in the highlights will continue to decrease.

The projector settings are an important part of Forums Edition 2.0 and should be enforced.

Settings:
Cinema Black Pro : Contast Enhancer : HIGH
Cinema Black Pro : Advanced Iris : Brightness : MAX (VW360/VW550)
Contrast : MAX
Color Temp. Custom 5 : Gain: R +27 / G +4 / B +2
Expert Setting : HDR : OFF
Expert Setting : Color Space : BT.2020
Expert Setting : Gamma Correction :
BakeApples and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 2038 Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Maybe give one of the USB cleaner utilities a go?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usbc...07406031?mt=12
http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

Unrelated, the German Custom curves have been updated, and they now list the 550/675 as an option with curves for it.
https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/5svvtks3#file

Regards the instructions in the spreadsheet, it translates something like:
The Forums Edition 2.0 contains a variety of ready-made curves, which have finely graduated an ever brighter reference white.

The CustomCurveCalculator determines the peak brightness of your configuration and makes a recommendation (green box).

The recommendation is designed so that a film in SDR at about 16-18 footlambert in HDR should not appear darker.

Of course, the curves can also be manually selected and recorded, should the recommendation not meet the expectations.

It should be noted that as the brightness increases (reference white), the punctuation in the highlights will continue to decrease.

The projector settings are an important part of Forums Edition 2.0 and should be enforced.

Settings:
Cinema Black Pro : Contast Enhancer : HIGH
Cinema Black Pro : Advanced Iris : Brightness : MAX (VW360/VW550)
Contrast : MAX
Color Temp. Custom 5 : Gain: R +27 / G +4 / B +2
Expert Setting : HDR : OFF
Expert Setting : Color Space : BT.2020
Expert Setting : Gamma Correction :
Nice!

Will try these updated curves, i have run the ”older” ones on my VW550 for a while now and very happy with the result using those.
MOberhardt likes this.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #1805 of 2038 Old 03-15-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 2955
Quote:
I have a Sony 665ES (virtually identical to your Sony 675ES) and when trying to update the projector's firmware I ran into exactly the problem that you described. The issue turned out to be using my Mac to prepare the USB flash drive. The Mac leaves hidden folders on the flash drive and these stop the Sony from doing the update. There are two solutions: (1) If you have Windows installed under Bootcamp on your Mac, boot into Windows, format the flash drive and install the downloaded firmware at the root level of the flash drive. (2) Use a PC to carry out the firmware update process for your Sony 675ES.

Tom
You can also configure the Mac to stop writing those files:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-cards-and-usb
normandia and MOberhardt like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1806 of 2038 Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Tom

I had the same issue previously and this was the problem. The macOS creates some hidden files that cause issues for the 675ES. Use a PC and if you used the thumb drive on a Mac previously I would recommend formatting the thumb drive first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || B&W CCM-8.5 [pair] || JL Audio Gotham g213 [pair] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair] || Datasat RS20i || Mark Levinson No 532 || Datasat RA7300 || Furman IT-Reference 20i || Sony VPL-VW675ES || SI Series 7 Zero Edge - Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 || Control4 EA-5
HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
post #1807 of 2038 Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
2.301. It is specifically showing a 665 on the system information. 5.301 is the 550/675 firmware. That was what I'd downloaded and was unsuccessfully trying to upload, which led me to the problem.

I have no damn idea how. Yeah maybe an incorrect board was replaced. And of course I can't get in contact with them until Monday...

Even so, 665 or 675 I have no damn idea why this frigging uhd pana 900 is outputting uhds in damn 1080p, but blu-ray at 4k, pana menu at 4k.

This entire thing is giving me the xxxxs. I'm ticked off. I'm literally feeling sick about it all. When I got my first 1080p TV and blu-ray, it was a damn simple setup, 1:1 pixel mapping, no mucking about. Everything just worked. Why has technology gotten stupidly backwards? It is just like software development these days. Software development was trying to become an engineering discipline, with development methodologies, object oriented programming. Then with the internet boom it all went to xxxx with unstructured, devolved scripting rubbish that is javascript to "agile methodology" which we'd call cowboy programming back in the discipline days. It is just rubbish. Rubbish.
Hi there.
Just curious. How is it going with getting your projector rectified, any movement?
post #1808 of 2038 Old 03-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi there.
Just curious. How is it going with getting your projector rectified, any movement?
It's getting there... He is waiting for the board to arrive from Japan, and I'm shipping the projector back (it is a bit of a pain arranging with the useless courier services we have in Australia), and me or my wife having to be home to arrange it. He's giving me a spare new lamp for the troubles too.

I'm still waiting on my frigging recliner, so it is not like I'd be using the room yet I guess. Another disappointment on that side too.

It is all a bit frustrating, and such an anticlimax after all the physical work I've done since last September, building the entire room from scratch (eg concrete floor and bare stud walls).
post #1809 of 2038 Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's getting there... He is waiting for the board to arrive from Japan, and I'm shipping the projector back (it is a bit of a pain arranging with the useless courier services we have in Australia), and me or my wife having to be home to arrange it. He's giving me a spare new lamp for the troubles too.

I'm still waiting on my frigging recliner, so it is not like I'd be using the room yet I guess. Another disappointment on that side too.

It is all a bit frustrating, and such an anticlimax after all the physical work I've done since last September, building the entire room from scratch (eg concrete floor and bare stud walls).
Hi.
At least it is in hand. A new, spare bulb is not to be sniffed at either.
I suppose one could argue that it was all for the best if you haven't even got your proper seating in place yet.
Keep looking at it as a work in progress.
Just keep your mind on your ultimate goal. It will happen, although disappointing that it has been delayed.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1810 of 2038 Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi.
At least it is in hand. A new, spare bulb is not to be sniffed at either.
I suppose one could argue that it was all for the best if you haven't even got your proper seating in place yet.
Keep looking at it as a work in progress.
Just keep your mind on your ultimate goal. It will happen, although disappointing that it has been delayed.
Bear in mind this has been many years in the planning for me. It is a 19th century Australian timber colonial house, and we had it raised and built under (pretty common here). 12 years since we planned and did the major structural renovation work and I put the room aside for it, the time since completing all the other projects and jobs on my weekends and holidays (other rooms, kitchen craft room, study, complete paint removal and repainting inside and out, floors sanding and staining).The movie room was the last job. And I finished my side of it late January... And I'm coming from an open lounge room 2.1 setup to a new 7.2.4 setup, and I can't sit down and use it yet!!!
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.
post #1811 of 2038 Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bear in mind this has been many years in the planning for me. It is a 19th century Australian timber colonial house, and we had it raised and built under (pretty common here). 12 years since we planned and did the major structural renovation work and I put the room aside for it, the time since completing all the other projects and jobs on my weekends and holidays (other rooms, kitchen craft room, study, complete paint removal and repainting inside and out, floors sanding and staining).The movie room was the last job. And I finished my side of it late January... And I'm coming from an open lounge room 2.1 setup to a new 7.2.4 setup, and I can't sit down and use it yet!!!
Just think how cool it will be when it is finished. 'All good things' and all that!

I too live in a 19th Century house (circa 1850) and they are very time consuming to keep up together, but worth it!

Living in it is one of the main reasons I have a cinema room. The rooms are large with high ceilings and thus make a great space for a big screen and light cannon.

Mine was supposed to be the master bedroom, but as soon as we saw the shape and size of the room, we both thought the same thing! (Luckily for me).

Anyway, keep the faith, imagine how much more pissed off you would be if you had all the seating etc in place and were without a projector........

Have you put a screen up yet? I can't recall.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1812 of 2038 Old 03-22-2018, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just think how cool it will be when it is finished. 'All good things' and all that!

I too live in a 19th Century house (circa 1850) and they are very time consuming to keep up together, but worth it!

Living in it is one of the main reasons I have a cinema room. The rooms are large with high ceilings and thus make a great space for a big screen and light cannon.

Mine was supposed to be the master bedroom, but as soon as we saw the shape and size of the room, we both thought the same thing! (Luckily for me).

Anyway, keep the faith, imagine how much more pissed off you would be if you had all the seating etc in place and were without a projector........

Have you put a screen up yet? I can't recall.
Yes, screen is up. Just projector and recliner now.

All good things indeed.. After 14 years planning (2004 actually), what is a few more weeks... Sigh.

Honestly, it turned out a great time technologically speaking. Mainly for Atmos, but also 4k really being at the resolution max for the room and screen.
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by MOberhardt; 03-22-2018 at 04:37 AM.
post #1813 of 2038 Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Firmware Updating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
I also had this exact problem (with a 675) when trying to use my Mac. I even removed the hidden files on the USB and that still did not work. Used my Windows computer at work and the update worked fine.
Just a note to say that I updated the firmware on my 550 with a USB device prepared on a Mac, so it is quite possible to do this.

Just be sure that the stick is partitioned with a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition type, the Mac may try to default it to a GUID partition map (more modern type). When you have that, you can format it as MS-DOS (FAT) and put the firmware files on it. It was a while ago now I did mine, but I don't remember fiddling around with hidden files and such, and it worked ok for me.
post #1814 of 2038 Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^^Thanks, will try this on the next update.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #1815 of 2038 Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
^^Thanks, will try this on the next update.
I very much doubt there will be another.....
post #1816 of 2038 Old 03-28-2018, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@MOberhardt

Did you notice if your 550 was made in Japan or China at all?

Just trying to get a feel for where they make most of these now.

My 550 is made in Japan and it seems as though all of the latest models 260/360/760 are made in China.

I find it interesting that they are even making the 760 in China now, whereas in the past the top end models tended to be made in Japan, leaving the lower models for China production.

They must either have total faith in the QC over there now or perhaps costs are king? Who knows for sure....

post #1817 of 2038 Old 03-28-2018, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@MOberhardt

Did you notice if your 550 was made in Japan or China at all?

Just trying to get a feel for where they make most of these now.

My 550 is made in Japan and it seems as though all of the latest models 260/360/760 are made in China.

I find it interesting that they are even making the 760 in China now, whereas in the past the top end models tended to be made in Japan, leaving the lower models for China production.

They must either have total faith in the QC over there now or perhaps costs are king? Who knows for sure....

It was from Japan. It was a pre-360/365 release build. The tech did say no part numbers had been updated on the 550 though (when I was asking about the supposed revamped lens the newer 550s had).

He is still waiting on the replacement card from Sony Japan. He's no idea what that delay is. Unless they sent it Japan mail SAL...
post #1818 of 2038 Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It was from Japan. It was a pre-360/365 release build. The tech did say no part numbers had been updated on the 550 though (when I was asking about the supposed revamped lens the newer 550s had).

He is still waiting on the replacement card from Sony Japan. He's no idea what that delay is. Unless they sent it Japan mail SAL...
Interesting.
I am curious to know if later 550s are made in China also.
Regarding the lens, that corroborates the theory that the QC is all that has been supposedly improved on the lenses not the actual items themselves.
How one would be able to verify that they are being better tested before leaving the factory though is anyone's guess and I think it is just Sony saying what they think people want to hear.
Plausible deniability. Say they are improved. No one can prove otherwise as most people don't have the time, equipment or inclination to test lenses to the degree necessary. Job done.

MOberhardt likes this.
post #1819 of 2038 Old 04-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting.
I am curious to know if later 550s are made in China also.
Regarding the lens, that corroborates the theory that the QC is all that has been supposedly improved on the lenses not the actual items themselves.
How one would be able to verify that they are being better tested before leaving the factory though is anyone's guess and I think it is just Sony saying what they think people want to hear.
Plausible deniability. Say they are improved. No one can prove otherwise as most people don't have the time, equipment or inclination to test lenses to the degree necessary. Job done.

Well, the replacement board arrived and has been swapped in, and the system info page now showing the correct projector and firmware versions. Phew. I should have it next week.

It was the physically wrong board. Looking at the photos he sent me though, the only noticable difference between the two is the HDMI processing chip, as you'd expect. The surface area on the 550/675 HDMI chip is twice as large as the one on the 520/665. I'd post the photos but every time I attempt to post a link or image here the forum engine utterly destroys the link truncating it and putting ... at the end of it, even when I'm using the insert hyperlink/image tools.

My recliner should be arriving next week as well.

Soooo close....

I'm thinking I might send the weekend try remuxing some of my 3D blu rays to add the atmos tracks (where I have the UHD or 2D BR with the atmos as well).
post #1820 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, the replacement board arrived and has been swapped in, and the system info page now showing the correct projector and firmware versions. Phew. I should have it next week.

It was the physically wrong board. Looking at the photos he sent me though, the only noticable difference between the two is the HDMI processing chip, as you'd expect. The surface area on the 550/675 HDMI chip is twice as large as the one on the 520/665. I'd post the photos but every time I attempt to post a link or image here the forum engine utterly destroys the link truncating it and putting ... at the end of it, even when I'm using the insert hyperlink/image tools.

My recliner should be arriving next week as well.

Soooo close....

I'm thinking I might send the weekend try remuxing some of my 3D blu rays to add the atmos tracks (where I have the UHD or 2D BR with the atmos as well).
Hey, that is great news! I would like to see the pictures if you find a way (as I am sure would others here, it is always nice to get a glimpse inside these things!)

So, you will now have the projector you wanted (in its proper configuration) and still at the bargain price you paid for it. Worth it in the end.

Get ready for the superb images it can produce when dialled in.
post #1821 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, that is great news! I would like to see the pictures if you find a way (as I am sure would others here, it is always nice to get a glimpse inside these things!)

So, you will now have the projector you wanted (in its proper configuration) and still at the bargain price you paid for it. Worth it in the end.

Get ready for the superb images it can produce when dialled in.
Well the link to Google photos is photos.app.*******/07jKZdLtX9Qx0Q5o1 just put https in front. I've put notes on the pics.

Ffs... Replace the asteriscs with goo and then a dot and then gl

Last edited by MOberhardt; 04-04-2018 at 01:49 AM.
post #1822 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well the link to Google photos is photos.app.*******/07jKZdLtX9Qx0Q5o1 just put https in front. I've put notes on the pics.

Ffs... Replace the asteriscs with goo and then a dot and then gl
That was a bit of a palaver but got there in the end! Does that serial number match the one on the actual unit sticker?

If it does then either your guy input the number to match or it is stored elsewhere in the unit.

I wonder if it is like cars where the VIN and mileage are stored on various control units throughout the car and if they don't match (someone trying to clock the car for example) you get errors?

Anyway, looks like you are going to be up and running in the not too distant future now!
post #1823 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That was a bit of a palaver but got there in the end! Does that serial number match the one on the actual unit sticker?

If it does then either your guy input the number to match or it is stored elsewhere in the unit.

I wonder if it is like cars where the VIN and mileage are stored on various control units throughout the car and if they don't match (someone trying to clock the car for example) you get errors?

Anyway, looks like you are going to be up and running in the not too distant future now!
Oddly yes the serial number matches the one on the projector now. When it had the 665 board it was showing a different serial number. They do have software they copy some data off, something to do with voltage levels etc, from factory tuning.
post #1824 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 2955
I wonder how much that board costs and what would happen if someone with a 665 installed the 675 board.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1825 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I wonder how much that board costs and what would happen if someone with a 665 installed the 675 board.
That is a great question.

We know a 520 board will work in a 550 (albeit possibly not 100%) but if it worked the other way around then it could be a much cheaper way to upgrade to a 550 however, my cynical mind says that they will have put measures in place to prevent it.

All we need is someone who is willing to risk it to find out....
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1826 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is a great question.

We know a 520 board will work in a 550 (albeit possibly not 100%) but if it worked the other way around then it could be a much cheaper way to upgrade to a 550 however, my cynical mind says that they will have put measures in place to prevent it.

All we need is someone who is willing to risk it to find out....
I think it worked 100% as a 520/665. That was what was driving me nuts. I couldn't get 4k UHD working on HDMI1 (as HDMI1 is not the enhanced port on it). The menu options were all 665 as well. The tech is pretty perplexed about how it all worked too. Even the serial number (eg it was showing different to the physical unit with the 665 board, but with the replacement 550 board, it shows matching number).

I wonder if a 360/385 board would work in a 260/285, give you dynamic iris...
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1827 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if a 360/385 board would work in a 260/285, give you dynamic iris...
That would only have a hope of working if it was physically present.
No-one has yet confirmed if an iris is present in a 260/285. It would most likely show up in the first 30-60 seconds during power on and light up if present.

I noticed on the 520 board that the HDMI ports are connected to separate chips but on the 550 board they are both connected to one.

That proves it wasn’t a simple IC swap to get them both 2.2 compliant but an actual board redesign.
post #1828 of 2038 Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That would only have a hope of working if it was physically present.
No-one has yet confirmed if an iris is present in a 260/285. It would most likely show up in the first 30-60 seconds during power on and light up if present.

I noticed on the 520 board that the HDMI ports are connected to separate chips but on the 550 board they are both connected to one.

That proves it wasn’t a simple IC swap to get them both 2.2 compliant but an actual board redesign.
Hmm, I sort of figured it might have, given people here have posted videos showing the 760/875 has an iris, you just can't use it.
post #1829 of 2038 Old 04-05-2018, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, I sort of figured it might have, given people here have posted videos showing the 760/875 has an iris, you just can't use it.
I would be willing to bet that due to the price bracket that the 260 sits in, there is no physical iris mechanism present in the unit.
That is true of the 1080 projectors. For example the HW55 has an iris (which works) but the HW40 does not have one present at all.

I would assume the same is true of the 65 and the 45.

The 760 has one in there that is powered and operates (albeit briefly) so there must be a reason for including it. What that reason is, we don't yet know.
post #1830 of 2038 Old 04-05-2018, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that due to the price bracket that the 260 sits in, there is no physical iris mechanism present in the unit.
That is true of the 1080 projectors. For example the HW55 has an iris (which works) but the HW40 does not have one present at all.

I would assume the same is true of the 65 and the 45.

The 760 has one in there that is powered and operates (albeit briefly) so there must be a reason for including it. What that reason is, we don't yet know.
Yes you are probably right. I can't understand why they have it in the 760 though. I sort of speculated from that that the lens assembly in all units is the same, just firmware.

That said the Sony tech I'm dealing with said there is a separate board in the projector for controlling the iris. It would make no sense to spend that money on a whole separate board when not used.

I wish you could find more teardowns of stuff like this. So much more complicated hardware gets good teardowns online. They are too rare and expensive I guess.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page