The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1115Likes

post #1831 of 2038 Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Yes you are probably right. I can't understand why they have it in the 760 though. I sort of speculated from that that the lens assembly in all units is the same, just firmware.

That said the Sony tech I'm dealing with said there is a separate board in the projector for controlling the iris. It would make no sense to spend that money on a whole separate board when not used.

I wish you could find more teardowns of stuff like this. So much more complicated hardware gets good teardowns online. They are too rare and expensive I guess.
If I win the lottery, the first thing I am doing is doing teardown videos of kit like this!
MOberhardt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@MOberhardt , Have you got your projector back yet?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1833 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
@MOberhardt , Have you got your projector back yet?
No. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday. It is mid way between Melbourne and Brisbane at the moment...

Now I just need my seating. Hopefully next week they'll show up. Last week they were en route from the factory overseas.

Getting close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday. It is mid way between Melbourne and Brisbane at the moment...

Now I just need my seating. Hopefully next week they'll show up. Last week they were en route from the factory overseas.

Getting close.
Cool. Not long now then! It is certainly the best travelled 550 I have heard of!

A large sofa (if that is what you are getting) is a big thing to ship! I hope it gets to you around the same time as the projector arrives.

You are in for some fantastic movie watching when it does.

MOberhardt likes this.
post #1835 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool. Not long now then! It is certainly the best travelled 550 I have heard of!

A large sofa (if that is what you are getting) is a big thing to ship! I hope it gets to you around the same time as the projector arrives.

Well the sofa (a multi cinema recliner) is just from a local store, but stuff like that always gets manufactured to on demand overseas. They don't actually build the stuff here... It has taken them way too long though.
post #1836 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to post on here but can someone tell me where the for sale/classifieds are on the forum? I have to sell my 675es because my wife has health problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1837 of 2038 Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It has arrived.... Not really going to be able to play around with it until the weekend. I'll bring down the second subwoofer as well, get that hooked up and calibrated

Now, just the recliners... Sigh. I don't want to go all out tuning the Anthem until I have the soft deadening mass in the center of the room

Now to pick what my first UHD will be, and what my first 3D title on it will be...

Last edited by MOberhardt; 04-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
post #1838 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It has arrived.... Not really going to be able to play around with it until the weekend. I'll bring down the second subwoofer as well, get that hooked up and calibrated

Now, just the recliners... Sigh. I don't want to go all out tuning the Anthem until I have the soft deadening mass in the center of the room

Now to pick what my first UHD will be, and what my first 3D title on it will be...
Hey, excellent news!
I suggest you try to find time to fire it up and make sure you are okay with the image before you mount it. Also if you ceiling mount, turn it upside down to test as well.
If you would like my suggestions for some great UHD discs to show off the picture quality, try these:

X-Men Apocalypse (extremely clear picture)
The Dark Knight (4K master, very good)
Justice League (Warner discs in general I find are good transfers but this one is great)
Thor Ragnarok (great transfer if not true 4K)
etc.
For 3D try Edge of Tomorrow, watched it Sunday night and it may make you feel a little weird at first but once your brain adjusts, you can see it was filmed for 3D and is non stop whizzy things coming at you.

I hope you seats show up soon.
Did you have an ETA? Have they kept to it?
post #1839 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, excellent news!
I suggest you try to find time to fire it up and make sure you are okay with the image before you mount it. Also if you ceiling mount, turn it upside down to test as well.
If you would like my suggestions for some great UHD discs to show off the picture quality, try these:

X-Men Apocalypse (extremely clear picture)
The Dark Knight (4K master, very good)
Justice League (Warner discs in general I find are good transfers but this one is great)
Thor Ragnarok (great transfer if not true 4K)
etc.
For 3D try Edge of Tomorrow, watched it Sunday night and it may make you feel a little weird at first but once your brain adjusts, you can see it was filmed for 3D and is non stop whizzy things coming at you.

I hope you seats show up soon.
Did you have an ETA? Have they kept to it?
I am wanting to stick with native Atmos and 4k for the uhd, and native Atmos and 3d for the 3d title. For 3d, I'm not sure what that covers. Maybe the latest Transformers... I can't wait to see edge of tomorrow 3d again. I watched it again last month.

For uhd, I'm undecided. I might even go retro and do Independence Day! X-Men Apocalypse is a good suggestion but I'm torn as that is native 3d as well. And I want to remux the Atmos onto it.

I'm seriously more anticipating the 3d films on the big screen and finally having a kick axx sound system.

No idea in the recliner date. I'll call tomorrow. It has been too long. But it is now in the territory of how long the ship takes plus customs clearance that the store has to handle.

On mounting, my room is only 4.8m long, so the projector is on a shelf on the back wall. I would eventually post a link to the photo album of the construction if this forum allowed Google photo links to be posted without mangling them

Last edited by MOberhardt; 04-11-2018 at 03:49 AM.
post #1840 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am wanting to stick with native Atmos and 4k for the uhd, and native Atmos and 3d for the 3d title. For 3d, I'm not sure what that covers. Maybe the latest Transformers... I can't wait to see edge of tomorrow 3d again. I watched it again last month.

For uhd, I'm undecided. I might even go retro and do Independence Day! X-Men Apocalypse is a good suggestion but I'm torn as that is native 3d as well. And I want to remux the Atmos onto it.

I'm seriously more anticipating the 3d films on the big screen and finally having a kick axx sound system.

No idea in the recliner date. I'll call tomorrow. It has been too long. But it is now in the territory of how long the ship takes plus customs clearance that the store has to handle.

On mounting, my room is only 4.8m long, so the projector is on a shelf on the back wall. I would eventually post a link to the photo album of the construction if this forum allowed Google photo links to be posted without mangling them
The Bluray of Transformers Age of Extinction has an Atmos soundtrack so I am guessing the 3D version would too.

As for UHD there is also The Last Knight which is supposed to have excellent visuals. War For The Planet Of The Apes is also a doozy as far as image quality goes.
Lucy is another one and The fifth Element needs watching in 4K too!

Instead of linking pictures from Google photos why don't you just drag and drop pics from your PC onto the thread directly instead?
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1841 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11808 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yes you are probably right. I can't understand why they have it in the 760 though. I sort of speculated from that that the lens assembly in all units is the same, just firmware.

That said the Sony tech I'm dealing with said there is a separate board in the projector for controlling the iris. It would make no sense to spend that money on a whole separate board when not used.

I wish you could find more teardowns of stuff like this. So much more complicated hardware gets good teardowns online. They are too rare and expensive I guess.
The 285, 385, 675 and 885 all share the same lens. Hardware wise, what is in one should be in all.
post #1842 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelby1216 View Post
Sorry to post on here but can someone tell me where the for sale/classifieds are on the forum? I have to sell my 675es because my wife has health problems.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out okay.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/
post #1843 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out okay.

Thanks Mike. D you know where I go to post it on AVS?

post #1844 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The 285, 385, 675 and 885 all share the same lens. Hardware wise, what is in one should be in all.
Hi.
That doesn't necessarily hold true.

For the HW40 and 55 models I have seen pictures that show that the model with the iris has extra circuitry etc in there for the operation of the iris that isn't present in the lower model.
I realise that the iris could still be present inside there somewhere (in its fully open position) even if no provision is made for operation, but why would they spend money on bits of hardware that are not going to ever operate unless the economies of just using the same optical block for all models outweighs the wasted hardware?

Which leads to the obvious question of why the 760 has an iris that is obviously connected and powered if it isn't used for helping get an even better picture?

I have asked on the 285 forum if anyone would video their projector's lens as it powers up to see if an iris closes and opens again, a-la 760, but as yet no one seems willing/able to oblige.
It would put to bed whether the 260/285 has a powered iris even if not used. However my guess for the 260 is that even if an iris is actually in the optics, it will not be powered at all with none of the circuits present. However I am willing to be proved wrong on that.

Also I believe that the internals (optical block and internal chassis etc) on the 760/885 is quite different to the lamp based models.
post #1845 of 2038 Old 04-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Bluray of Transformers Age of Extinction has an Atmos soundtrack so I am guessing the 3D version would too.

As for UHD there is also The Last Knight which is supposed to have excellent visuals. War For The Planet Of The Apes is also a doozy as far as image quality goes.
Lucy is another one and The fifth Element needs watching in 4K too!

Instead of linking pictures from Google photos why don't you just drag and drop pics from your PC onto the thread directly instead?
Yes Age of Extinction and Last Knight 3d both have Atmos.

Yes I could do a Besson night. Valerian 3d Atmos plus Fifth Element UHD!

Too many photos. Maybe I'll put them on some blogspot page and link it.
post #1846 of 2038 Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
If I win the lottery, the first thing I am doing is doing teardown videos of kit like this!
If I won like 500 Million plus I would watch as I change the price of gold in the market place

Quote:
where I go to post it on AVS?
<<< Click Here >>> Man very sorry to hear this

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 04-12-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #1847 of 2038 Old 04-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

We!l, the projector is all working!

Can anyone assist with the Sony Image Director. I'm connecting to the projector OK via the network (and in the status bar at the bottom it is showing connected, and even detected the projector as a VPL-VW550ES), but the options for receive and send are not enabled.
post #1848 of 2038 Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
We!l, the projector is all working!

Can anyone assist with the Sony Image Director. I'm connecting to the projector OK via the network (and in the status bar at the bottom it is showing connected, and even detected the projector as a VPL-VW550ES), but the options for receive and send are not enabled.

I believe you have to hardware into it using usb or Ethernet cable from computer

post #1849 of 2038 Old 04-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

It started working. Oddly all I did was change the HDMI input to 1, which was what the cable was connected to.
post #1850 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread

So I've had an issue with the vw550es at a friends house and was wondering if anyone here encountered the same problem.

It's tied to the Apple tv and Netflix. I can't explain why it's happening and it doesn't happen with all shows that support hdr and 4k however I'm going to use chefs table as an example.

When you play that show the projector receives a 4k hdr10 signal from the Apple tv. Color is 4:2:2. Anyways at random the screen would go black and turn on again. We've watched other shows with hdr that did not present this issue like lost in space. Tried different cables tried the different ports and it's running the latest firmware. Anyone else experiance something similar? Here is the kicker if you play the same show on the ps4 it works just fine. I'm thinking it's something to do with the apple tv and the way it's communicating with the projector.

Another show that exhibits this issue is Santa Clarita diet.

Basically I'd just like to know if anyone else is experiencing this exact issue.

Last edited by mobiousblack; 04-14-2018 at 08:31 AM.
post #1851 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post
So I've had an issue with the vw550es at a friends house and was wondering if anyone here encountered the same problem.

It's tied to the Apple tv and Netflix. I can't explain why it's happening and it doesn't happen with all shows that support hdr and 4k however I'm going to use chefs table as an example.

When you play that show the projector receives a 4k hdr10 signal from the Apple tv. Color is 4:2:2. Anyways at random the screen would go black and turn on again. We've watched other shows with hdr that did not present this issue like lost in space. Tried different cables tried the different ports and it's running the latest firmware. Anyone else experiance something similar? Here is the kicker if you play the same show on the ps4 it works just fine. I'm thinking it's something to do with the apple tv and the way it's communicating with the projector.

Another show that exhibits this issue is Santa Clarita diet.

Basically I'd just like to know if anyone else is experiencing this exact issue.
This has been talked about many times in the 285 and 385 threads. It is an old bug that seems to effect a handful of DolbyVision Netflix titles on Apple TV. The best anyone can tell it is a bug in the Netflix app which causes the Sony to issue an HDMI sync every 20 seconds or so.

However, it seems to be fixed with all the newer Netflix DolbyVision titles. You can fix the problem by turning off HDR and running in SDR @ 60hz. But it is only a very few titles in the Netflix App of Apple TV that has the issue. Most will work just fine. It also doesn't happen in any other app that I have tried. i.e. Amazon Prime Video, iTunes movies or TV shows, etc. Only Netflix. and only for a handful of titles.
post #1852 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
This has been talked about many times in the 285 and 385 threads. It is an old bug that seems to effect a handful of DolbyVision Netflix titles on Apple TV. The best anyone can tell it is a bug in the Netflix app which causes the Sony to issue an HDMI sync every 20 seconds or so.

However, it seems to be fixed with all the newer Netflix DolbyVision titles. You can fix the problem by turning off HDR and running in SDR @ 60hz. But it is only a very few titles in the Netflix App of Apple TV that has the issue. Most will work just fine. It also doesn't happen in any other app that I have tried. i.e. Amazon Prime Video, iTunes movies or TV shows, etc. Only Netflix. and only for a handful of titles.

That explains it, and you are precisely correct it only happens with Netflix and not the other apps. I'm sure my friend will be relieved to know it's not just him with the issue. Thanks for the clarification.
post #1853 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^^should you turn off the HDR in the projector? or change the AppleTV output settings (if so to SDR 60)?

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.

Last edited by normandia; 04-14-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #1854 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
^^should you turn off the HDR in the projector? or change the AppleTV output settings (if so to SRD 60)?
On this projector, you should set the device playing netfix to limit it to 24p as well. 60hz Netflix HDR will give banding due to the bandwidth.

Regards HDR off, check the posts on the German gamma curves. Mainly on the 285 thread. I believe most of us run the projector with HDR forced off, bt2020 color space.
post #1855 of 2038 Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Got to say, pretty happy so far with my limited testing. Had to do a little panel alignment. The projector is plenty bright with 3D in low lamp mode. I was just trying it out with Kong Skull Island (I remuxed the Atmos onto it). Checked out a 4K disc and setup the gamma gurves. Looks nice. I hope I have my damn recliners this week so I can christen the movie room...

The 7.2.4 sound it great (Anthem 1120 and Kef Qs). I'm listening to music on it at the moment.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1856 of 2038 Old 04-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, what do people here run does there settings at for 1080p material? Including 3D. I've used the Harpervision settings on this thread, plus the German custom curve amendments for 4K, but haven't seem any on others. I was testing 3D and the colors looked pretty bizarre, and oddly the gamma was on gamma7 (and I didn't think hadn't put it to that as this was my first setup activity since I got the projector back, so maybe it was a default). I set the gamma correction to off and looked much better.

What is the general SDR or 1080p setting for gamma?
post #1857 of 2038 Old 04-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike. D you know where I go to post it on AVS?

Yes, I provided the link already in the post you quoted.
post #1858 of 2038 Old 04-16-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW, what do people here run does there settings at for 1080p material? Including 3D. I've used the Harpervision settings on this thread, plus the German custom curve amendments for 4K, but haven't seem any on others. I was testing 3D and the colors looked pretty bizarre, and oddly the gamma was on gamma7 (and I didn't think hadn't put it to that as this was my first setup activity since I got the projector back, so maybe it was a default). I set the gamma correction to off and looked much better.

What is the general SDR or 1080p setting for gamma?
If you are running the German curves that replace the built in gammas 7-10 then they will no longer be suitable for 3D. Once changed, the gammas will apply to any and all pre-sets using them, so if you had previously set Gamma 7 for 3D, it will subsequently look very odd.

As you found, switching gamma correction off or to D93 > D55 will yield much more acceptable results (depending on taste).
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1859 of 2038 Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are running the German curves that replace the built in gammas 7-10 then they will no longer be suitable for 3D. Once changed, the gammas will apply to any and all pre-sets using them, so if you had previously set Gamma 7 for 3D, it will subsequently look very odd.

As you found, switching gamma correction off or to D93 > D55 will yield much more acceptable results (depending on taste).
Yes thanks. I just wasn't sure why it was on 7 in the first place. I thought maybe that was factory default. The 3d disc was the first one I tried since I got it back with the new mainboard, so was just doing some setup. And I don't recall setting up 3d at all last time. I had put 4k on gamma 7 but I wouldn't have thought that would come across with the board.
post #1860 of 2038 Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes thanks. I just wasn't sure why it was on 7 in the first place. I thought maybe that was factory default. The 3d disc was the first one I tried since I got it back with the new mainboard, so was just doing some setup. And I don't recall setting up 3d at all last time. I had put 4k on gamma 7 but I wouldn't have thought that would come across with the board.
Easy thing to try is to reset the 3D pre-set you use and see what gamma it says it uses when you retry it.
I set 3D to D75 and upped the bulb to high on mine. Found the results very pleasing.

Edited to add, that IIRC, regardless of the preset used, when the projector detects a 3D signal the image parameters change. That is why it is important to use a separate preset for 3D. I use Bright Cinema as the starting point.
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by Archibald1; 04-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page