AVS Forum banner

The Official Sony VPL-VW550ES/ VPL-VW675ES Owners Thread

221K views 2K replies 171 participants last post by  Grb2323 
#1 ·
I have noticed that there is no thread for the VPL-VW675ES yet, so I have decided to start one.
I have posted this already under the VPL-VW665ES thread, so I hope I am not violating any rules by posting this a second time:

I finally got my new VPL-VW675ES yesterday which is replacing a VPL-VW600ES.
I am projecting onto a 11 foot wide acoustically transparent 16:9 screen (~1.1 Gain - Weave material - Carada masking system).

So far, so good. Using the Samsung UBD-K8500 as a source through my Denon AVR-X7200WA.
Automatic HDR10 and BT709->BT2020 switching works as expected when playing UHD Blu-Ray - so the Samsung Player and the projector seem to get along.
The projector indicates HDR as incoming signal info.
The Denon signal info page shows a 10-bit HDMI signal coming out of the player which is passed as 10-bit into the projector.
In order to do HDR justice, I had the lamp mode to 'High'. Highlights look nice !
I wish there was a way to engage High-Lamp mode automatically (if desired) when a HDR signal is detected.
For normal HD/BT709 content 'Low' lamp mode is absolutely sufficient (as it was with my VW600ES).
As expected, the overall subjective contrast is increased (non-HDR, regular Blu-Ray and HD content) when compared to the VW600ES.
For HDR content, I set the HDR contrast control to 100% for the time being.
-Melgon

See less See more
#2 ·
I wondered why someone didn't start a separate VW675/550 thread should have been done. I had the VW600 myself and was considering the 665 in the spring but picked up the JVC RS600 instead . The 675ES is still on my radar but I'm not sure the move at this point would be beneficial . There are certainly pros and cons, though in reality I think they are weak.

Did you notice any significant difference between the 600 and 675? My 600 was not cutting the mustard for 3D on my 134" 2.35:1 curved screen and that was with a 1.8 gain screen anamorphic lens and shortest throw possible. The JVC RS600 does a better job on the brightness front and the 3D is incredible. I would hope the VW675ES would be about the same amount of light output for 3D, if only the same as the VW600 I would not want to switch.

Congrats on the purchase btw. Will be interesting to see your thoughts as you progress and tweak the settings a little more and possibly do a calibration once the lamp has some hours .

#24 ·
I wondered why someone didn't start a separate VW675/550 thread should have been done. I had the VW600 myself and was considering the 665 in the spring but picked up the JVC RS600 instead . The 675ES is still on my radar but I'm not sure the move at this point would be beneficial . There are certainly pros and cons, though in reality I think they are weak.

Did you notice any significant difference between the 600 and 675? My 600 was not cutting the mustard for 3D on my 134" 2.35:1 curved screen and that was with a 1.8 gain screen anamorphic lens and shortest throw possible. The JVC RS600 does a better job on the brightness front and the 3D is incredible. I would hope the VW675ES would be about the same amount of light output for 3D, if only the same as the VW600 I would not want to switch.

Since you have gone from the 600ES to the RS600, have you noticed a significant improvement in contrast/black level/shadow detail or just a marginal to a bit better improvement in low APL scenes? Also, does the RS higher brightness make much difference in 2D viewing?
I want to go 4K from my VW95, 120x51 scope 1.1 screen, and am on the fence to wait a year for the RS600 successor ( true 4K, I can't imagine another rehash of eshift on 2017 reference pj) with its better blacks/brightness or jump in now to 675ES and not punish myself conceding less blacks/contrast for not waiting.

#3 · (Edited)
Order placed for a 550 with estimated delivery around 16th of december:)
Apparently, there is currently a 400 units backorder for Europe and it seems that Sony have a hard time to keep the production rates up. My dealer also told me that they have never seen such a great interest in a Sony pj before as with the 550 which surely is related to the lack of supply.

#5 ·
According to another user in this forum who spoke with Sony engineers, this was corrected already in the 665 so i think its safe to say that any fix implemented in that projector is also implemented in the 675.

You can find this info in the 5000ES thread.

#6 ·
I also own the projector and its really awesome so far. :) (but had a big jump from dla x30)

I have a bit of a niche question but maybe someone knows.

My screen is 21:9 so i would like to game in 21:9. Is it possible via PC to give the projector a custom 21:9 resolution and display it 1:1 so that the rest (inactive pixels) are just blank or black? Anyone tried this yet?

#11 ·
Can't get it to work unfortunately. I can setup 3840x1646px with 30hz but with 60hz it fails.

What i noticed is that whenever i choose an custom resolution it has RGB enabled, maybe its just to much in 4k/60p with RGB. Can't select ycbcr 4:2:0 unfortunately.

Anyone was successfully or maybe can test it? Would be great because iam kinda stuck atm :(

#12 ·
When I set a 4K resolution on the PC it automatically changes to ycbcr. why are you trying to use a custom resolution instead of the standard ones?

#13 · (Edited)
Hey Bandyka,

maybe there is a better way for 21:9 gaming? Iam a noob when it comes to that so i tried to setup a 21:9 resolution. What i found out so far is that as long as you setup a custom resolution you are stuck with RGB because nvidia classifies it as a "PC" resolution, not a "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" resolution. (at least thats my observation so far)

Is there an easier way to make the games run in 21:9 which i not thought of? As said never tried it before.

On another note: Today i found out that no matter how i change the panel alignment, i can't get all parts of the image to be equally sharp. Is this normal or did i got an bad panel? Don't get my wrong its not that its totally unfocused and the picture itself is great but if i perfectly sharpen while standing in front of the screen i noticed that not all parts of the picture got the same sharpness. Ive tested with this picture: https://cl.ly/062x442b1A1H

How do you guys do your panel alignments, in the final zoom / shift (position) or just make the picture smaller to see everything at once? Any tips are appreciated. :) With my x30 it was a lot easier to align the panel but of course not that detailed.

#14 ·
Hey Bandyka,

maybe there is a better way for 21:9 gaming? Iam a noob when it comes to that so i tried to setup a 21:9 resolution. What i found out so far is that as long as you setup a custom resolution you are stuck with RGB because nvidia classifies it as a "PC" resolution, not a "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" resolution. (at least thats my observation so far)

Is there an easier way to make the games run in 21:9 which i not thought of? As said never tried it before.

On another note: Today i found out that no matter how i change the panel alignment, i can't get all parts of the image to be equally sharp. Is this normal or did i got an bad panel? Don't get my wrong its not that its totally unfocused and the picture itself is great but if i perfectly sharpen while standing in front of the screen i noticed that not all parts of the picture got the same sharpness. Ive tested with this picture: https://cl.ly/062x442b1A1H
Lens shift angles, chromatic aberration come to mind... If you use lens shift and move the image 50% to your left or right, does this sharpness change as you move the image or does it effectively stay still on your screen?

Make sure your lens is perfectly level with the screen. If the left side of your lens is further away from the right side etc this may be happening.

Also you may just have a bad lens sample. You would not be the first. That's an area where Sony decided to save some money on development it seems.

Reactions: Bandyka
#17 ·
That looks great!:cool:
I also plan to go the 21:9 route for gaming but in my case with a PS4. Will use my Radiance Pro VP to stretch the 16:9 image to fill the whole screen.

How do you feel about the black levels and contrast on the 675 so far?
I expect a small increase in this area from the previous 665 which i already think have great contrast performance.

#18 ·
Installed my VPL-VW675ES last night and am thoroughly impressed with the performance. The picture is phenomenal. Shocking actually. It looks like i have a giant 120 inch 4K UHD tv now. I'm just debating whether to upgrade the screen or not as I can't see how the picture can get any better.

She was very easy and straightforward to setup and the remote control operation of all the optics made the process so much easier and pinpoint accurate. She's a big mamma jamma though so be prepared for the physical size. She's not as heavy as she looks though and installation went without a hitch with the mount I used.

One thing I did discover is to turn off the image processing in the Denon 7200WA and let the 675 do all the heavy lifting on the image processing. It's obviously much more robust in this area than the Denon. The images were noticely even better after making this simple change.

So for aanyone on the fence, get it. Indulge and treat yourself. You only get one lap around the track. You better run it with everything you have and "Never stop. Never settle.", like the famous beverage states.

#23 ·
I received my 675 two weeks ago tomorrow and I am still floored by how beautiful it is. My dealer has not calibrated it yet, right now I'm just using an out of the box mode. Is it worth having an ISF tech come out and calibrate it?

Right now, I'm using the Samsung 8500 and DTV through a McIntosh MX122 for source until new Oppo comes out, then the Samsung is being routed to the living room and the OLED.

My wife, 2 year old son, and I have spent pretty much every night in the theater with the 675 and 125 inch Stewart StudioTek 100 instead of living room and 65 inch OLED!

#36 ·
'The RS600 has advantages of a faster board at 18Gbps and hits P3 100%, the Sony about 87% of P3.'

What is the current or near future limitation that 10Gbps has compared to an 18Gbps. Or conversely, those that have the 10Gbps Sonys are they having buyers remorse for lack of 18Gbps?

Secondly, does the Sony 87% P3 look much less ( saturated?) than on the 100% RS600?

#37 ·
There is a constant argument over this as current content does not require 4:4:4 so 10gbps is enough for 24fps content but who knows what the future holds.
The irony is only JVC has 18Gbps boards which will allow you to play games in 60fps HDR WCG full chroma but due to it's lag it's near impossible to play games on. So catch 22.

As for DCI at the moment most movies do not take advantage of the full DCI space but I expect this will likely change, I would opt for more horsepower in this space as this gives the most impact.

#54 ·
They were supposed to show up in Canada end of November, now it's going to be the new year apparently.

#78 ·
#77 ·
So how do you guys find HDR gaming on this thing? Anyone tested it yet? Is it comparable to a TV?

#81 ·
If the upgrade from the 665 to the 675 is as noticeable and positive as the one from the 350 to the 365ES, then you're in for a treat! :)

I'm thinking I'm going to ISF Calibrate and package up this VPL-VW365ES with the Panasonic UB900 and an HDFury Linker and sell it in the Classifieds here as an all in one ISF Calibrated UHD/ 4K Bluray/HDR package at an awesome price, below MSRP for the 365ES alone! I'm going to do this so I can get some additional capital to upgrade to the 675ES for my ISF demo room.

#84 ·
I currently own a vw600es, and am curious about what contrast differences are between 4k HDR and SDR.

Seems to me, you see the picture in either mode from ~.01 FL to ~ 1400-1600FL. so the brightest items are the same, and the darkest items are the same. Seems like HDR must compress the range of the 'lower' brightness areas to provide the headroom so the brightest items seem brighter. So for much of the 'normal' portions of the picture, SDR uses more of the capability of the projector, or a wider portion of the total contrast range. Seems this would make for more variance or range available for much of the movie using SDR.

Obviously if you have more lamp than you can use (5000es), you can really take advantage of HDR. High lamp mode also increases black level, so that isn't likely a setting I would use for most viewing, and would impact SDR and HDR similarly.

So how do you think the two modes really compare? Does the higher bit rate of HDR offset the compression of the 'normal' portions (may be the same for SDR?)

Trying to fight upgraditess, as I really want my next 4k projector to have FI.:)

Thanks for any input. (I posted this in the 665 thread also)

Paul

#85 ·
I had the VW600 , bought the JVC RS600 I have now, my VW675ES ordered yesterday, hoping to have for the holidays.

Don't fret over the HDR none of the projectors can do it properly and most get most benefits from converting HDR to SDR BT2020.
The 675 does have the DI working for 4K and the new HDR slider so it could be a little better. Problem is HDR was intended for
5000nits and above, our projectors can only do 100nits at best, even the 5000 lumen Sony will struggle with that. HDR is just another
sales gimmick , got to have feature that doesn't cut the mustard .

Reactions: muzeka
#100 ·
Someone has spoken to Sony and apparently they said to him that Sony finally managed to fix the degradation on the 665/75. Is that true? Can anyone confirm this?