Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10176Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Member
 
penfold99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
Been looking for a new 2:35.1 screen for my 770,so many to pick from! Any thoughts on the Elite Polor Star efinity? Was also looking at a SI slate 1.2
Despite being very inexpensive I am really happy with my Silver Ticket 2.35:1 125".
STR-235125-G Silver Ticket 2.35:1 4K Ultra HD Ready Cinema Format (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen (2.35:1, 125", Grey Material)

I bought it on Amazon, and it looks great. i originally bought their high gain screen material with it, and hated it, and they sent me the grey material replacement free of charge. Can't beat that customer service. I don't know if they have any technical specs on their screen material, but I love it.



Dave
penfold99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
Had some friends around last evening and watched "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 UHD" ....WOW!!! The depth and colour of the image on the X9500 is astonishing! When viewing material as good as this, i struggle to see how you could improve on it.

I see a couple of comments from RS4500 users regarding the opening scene looking a little "dark" .."overcast".... ?? On the X9500 with my 143" scope screen the scene is just fantastic...interesting..
woofer is offline  
post #2973 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,238
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked: 8066
Will all depend on your HDR "curve". Everyone is doing it a little different, so of course YMMV.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2974 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,247
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Had some friends around last evening and watched "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 UHD" ....WOW!!! The depth and colour of the image on the X9500 is astonishing! When viewing material as good as this, i struggle to see how you could improve on it.

I see a couple of comments from RS4500 users regarding the opening scene looking a little "dark" .."overcast".... ?? On the X9500 with my 143" scope screen the scene is just fantastic...interesting..
Sounds great, can't wait to watch it now.
blee0120 is offline  
post #2975 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
703
Senior Member
 
703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is there a way for the X7500 to convert HDR to SDR while still retaining the WCG color space? I am planning to get the Sony X800 player which doesn't have this function.
703 is offline  
post #2976 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mzs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by penfold99 View Post
Despite being very inexpensive I am really happy with my Silver Ticket 2.35:1 125".
STR-235125-G Silver Ticket 2.35:1 4K Ultra HD Ready Cinema Format (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen (2.35:1, 125", Grey Material)

I bought it on Amazon, and it looks great. i originally bought their high gain screen material with it, and hated it, and they sent me the grey material replacement free of charge. Can't beat that customer service. I don't know if they have any technical specs on their screen material, but I love it.



Dave
In order for me to go with a 120" I am going to have to find one with a very narrow edge. So far I have found the polarstar efinity or the SI zero edge. Cant find any reviews for the polarstar.
mzs22 is offline  
post #2977 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post
Is there a way for the X7500 to convert HDR to SDR while still retaining the WCG color space? I am planning to get the Sony X800 player which doesn't have this function.
You might want to look into the HDFury Integral.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2978 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Had some friends around last evening and watched "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 UHD" ....WOW!!! The depth and colour of the image on the X9500 is astonishing! When viewing material as good as this, i struggle to see how you could improve on it.

I see a couple of comments from RS4500 users regarding the opening scene looking a little "dark" .."overcast".... ?? On the X9500 with my 143" scope screen the scene is just fantastic...interesting..
Yep, this looked incredible, even just the regular bluray using MadVR was astonishing, this is my new reference movie.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2979 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Had some friends around last evening and watched "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 UHD" ....WOW!!! The depth and colour of the image on the X9500 is astonishing! When viewing material as good as this, i struggle to see how you could improve on it.

I see a couple of comments from RS4500 users regarding the opening scene looking a little "dark" .."overcast".... ?? On the X9500 with my 143" scope screen the scene is just fantastic...interesting..
Try to watch the 3d version.. My gosh its probably the best 3D I've seen.. Stuff was right on my face..
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #2980 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Limp Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newmanstown PA
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Not too many people post videos, for it does not really show how the projector performs.
I know, but I find enjoyment out of watching setup videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
I do game when time allows, with the added low lag mode it's great, just like on a TV or monitor.
Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone who games would chime in.
Bandyka likes this.

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)
Limp Fox is offline  
post #2981 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Limp Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newmanstown PA
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Any place that stands out price wise for someone looking at the RS620?

Best prices I've found were from dealers on eBay.

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)
Limp Fox is offline  
post #2982 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,247
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Try to watch the 3d version.. My gosh its probably the best 3D I've seen.. Stuff was right on my face..
Come on. I have wife and kids. Now I have to buy the UHD BD version and the 3D version lol.
blee0120 is offline  
post #2983 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,247
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Yep, this looked incredible, even just the regular bluray using MadVR was astonishing, this is my new reference movie.
How does MadVR blu rays upscaled to 4k compare to the UHD BD version? Or other movies?
blee0120 is offline  
post #2984 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post
Is there a way for the X7500 to convert HDR to SDR while still retaining the WCG color space? I am planning to get the Sony X800 player which doesn't have this function.
What's your goal? The whole point of HDR to SDR is to get the player to convert the video to a format the display better supports. The RSx00 line had/have a pretty terrible HDR implementation (Gamma D), so it was better to have a source convert the HDR to SDR so the projector never saw HDR. If you're feeding HDR to the projector then that conversion doesn't happen and is irrelevant. The question then is what's the best setup to configure HDR. I'll leave that mostly to the RSx20 owners, but my understanding is that the RSx20 line handles HDR quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Any place that stands out price wise for someone looking at the RS620?
AV Science, give Mike or Craig a call. Watch out for ebay dealers, JVC doesn't allow online sales, so they're probably not authorized dealers and thus you'd have no warranty.
stanger89 is offline  
post #2985 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
How does MadVR blu rays upscaled to 4k compare to the UHD BD version? Or other movies?
Pretty incredible. Except from the extra color and HDR sometimes sharpness and detail is on par or better depending on the movie.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2986 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM
703
Senior Member
 
703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
What's your goal? The whole point of HDR to SDR is to get the player to convert the video to a format the display better supports. The RSx00 line had/have a pretty terrible HDR implementation (Gamma D), so it was better to have a source convert the HDR to SDR so the projector never saw HDR. If you're feeding HDR to the projector then that conversion doesn't happen and is irrelevant. The question then is what's the best setup to configure HDR. I'll leave that mostly to the RSx20 owners, but my understanding is that the RSx20 line handles HDR quite well.
I want to be able to enjoy HDR content but dial down often the blooming effect often associated with HDR content, as it looks quite fake like a video game.
703 is offline  
post #2987 of 5131 Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,247
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Pretty incredible. Except from the extra color and HDR sometimes sharpness and detail is on par or better depending on the movie.
I need to stop standing still and grab a gtx 1080.
blee0120 is offline  
post #2988 of 5131 Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I need to stop standing still and grab a gtx 1080.
Get the 1080ti.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2989 of 5131 Old 08-23-2017, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Come on. I have wife and kids. Now I have to buy the UHD BD version and the 3D version lol.
yep go buy it its that good...
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #2990 of 5131 Old 08-23-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,638
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14063 Post(s)
Liked: 11742
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Any place that stands out price wise for someone looking at the RS620?

Best prices I've found were from dealers on eBay.
I would be careful there.
Limp Fox and Maddog56 like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #2991 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,461
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked: 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Watch out for ebay dealers, JVC doesn't allow online sales, so they're probably not authorized dealers and thus you'd have no warranty.
Any dealer that has add to cart of anykind or there best price is plain view is not authorized. Its literally that simple. Authorized dealer will display MSRP, no price at all, and certainly no online checkout on current JVC products.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #2992 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,455
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Stay away from ebay dealers unless you like to gamble.
sendtobrit likes this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #2993 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,036
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8062 Post(s)
Liked: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
Any place that stands out price wise for someone looking at the RS620?

Best prices I've found were from dealers on eBay.
Price, while important, isn't everything - you want a dealer that has your back and will go to bat for you if something breaks or is defective.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2994 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,638
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14063 Post(s)
Liked: 11742
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Price, while important, isn't everything - you want a dealer that has your back and will go to bat for you if something breaks or is defective.
Yep, here is a prime example of why:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54685318
Limp Fox and Maddog56 like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #2995 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,036
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8062 Post(s)
Liked: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yep, here is a prime example of why:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54685318
Da Lite HD Pro. screens going bad and developing " oily spots " would be another.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2996 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,638
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14063 Post(s)
Liked: 11742
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Da Lite HD Pro. screens going bad and developing " oily spots " would be another.
Yep, just a couple months ago got one of those replaced for a customer, after the warranty period.
Dandlj likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #2997 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Da Lite HD Pro. screens going bad and developing " oily spots " would be another.
Really? I have a 138" Cinema Contour HD Progressive 1.3 Gain (JKP) and haven't seen this (yet). How is it caused? Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?

Bought my screen in March 2016.
Sittler27 is offline  
post #2998 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Domcorleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have the JVC rs420/x570br and i feel like my picture is a little blurry and people on screen seem to have a dark outline around them. Is my unit messed up or do I have to fix any settings?
Domcorleone is offline  
post #2999 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,806
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post
I have the JVC rs420/x570br and i feel like my picture is a little blurry and people on screen seem to have a dark outline around them. Is my unit messed up or do I have to fix any settings?
Sorry but that is a little too vague for anyone to really help. Can you upload a screenshot pointing out what you are seeing? I assume you have done all you can with the focus adjustment of the projector correct?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #3000 of 5131 Old 08-24-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,638
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14063 Post(s)
Liked: 11742
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post
I have the JVC rs420/x570br and i feel like my picture is a little blurry and people on screen seem to have a dark outline around them. Is my unit messed up or do I have to fix any settings?
Has it been this way from day 1 or did something change?
Mike Garrett is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off