Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10166Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 5062 Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Anybody noticed difference in audio quality while using his/her jvc projector? I get a huge peformance drops. Just unplug the projector and start a movie. Plug the jvc in and listnen again.
Nope.
What is the source and the AVR? What does the AVR report as the audio input for both conditions?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 5062 Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Anybody noticed difference in audio quality while using his/her jvc projector? I get a huge peformance drops. Just unplug the projector and start a movie. Plug the jvc in and listnen again.
No audio difference here.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is offline  
post #4053 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Anybody noticed difference in audio quality while using his/her jvc projector? I get a huge peformance drops. Just unplug the projector and start a movie. Plug the jvc in and listnen again.
Nope.
What is the source and the AVR? What does the AVR report as the audio input for both conditions?
I am using a modded oppo 203, datasat rs20i. The audio input stays the same. With the projector on the surround bubble gets smaler and the sounds is getting stuck on my speakers
Masterkale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4054 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
I am using a modded oppo 203, datasat rs20i. The audio input stays the same.
What is the audio? PCM, bitstream, any particular title?

With the projector on the surround bubble gets smaler and the sounds is getting stuck on my speakers[/QUOTE]Are you connecting the 203 video directly to the PJ with HDMI 1, and connecting the audio through HDMI 2 to the RS20i? If not, give that a try.

This might be a better question for the Datasat thread. I doubt it's a projector issue.

Might also be useful to inspect the detailed Info screen (hold info button 5 sec) from the Oppo just to see if that reveals any clues between the two conditions (PJ connected or not).

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 01-04-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #4055 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 04:14 AM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
What is the audio? PCM, bitstream, any particular title?

With the projector on the surround bubble gets smaler and the sounds is getting stuck on my speakers Are you connecting the 203 video directly to the PJ with HDMI 1, and connecting the audio through HDMI 2 to the RS20i? If not, give that a try.

This might be a better question for the Datasat thread. I doubt it's a projector issue.

Might also be useful to inspect the detailed Info screen (hold info button 5 sec) from the Oppo just to see if that reveals any clues between the two conditions (PJ connected or not).
It doesn`t matter. PCM, dd, dts. Auro, atmos i tried all. When i plug in a sony vw360 i don`t get this problem. Only with the JVC. I also tried a JVC of a friend of mine, and it is still the same. He also noticed the problem with his modded Marantz Av8802.

I also tried, the both HDMI options on the oppo.

Last edited by Masterkale; 01-04-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Masterkale is offline  
post #4056 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
It doesn`t matter. PCM, dd, dts. Auro, atmos i tried all. When i plug in a sony vw360 i don`t get this problem. Only with the JVC. I also tried a JVC of a friend of mine, and it is still the same. He also noticed the problem with his modded Marantz Av8802.

I also tried, the both HDMI options on the oppo.
Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you can measure a difference I can't think this is anything but a placebo effect. The only way a display can impact the audio is if something like Audio Return Channel is at work (which the projector doesn't have IIRC). I use a Marantz 7702 MK2 with both a JVC RS520 and Acer 22" monitor hooked up. When I listen to audio I switch the computer monitor so that I don't have to fire up the projector. I notice no difference in audio quality between either display (or no display for that matter). The Marantz information about the signal is the same regardless of what display is being used and since the preamp is receiving the signal before the display, there shouldn't be any way the display is altering upstream data.

It's possible that the white noise of the projector fan is altering what you hear enough to be noticeable, but it's more likely perception. I generally close my eyes when listening to music just to eliminate the visual distractions. You may also want to check that the listening mode on your pre amp or AVR isn't changing on you. That would definitely perceptibly change the sound.

jeahrens is offline  
post #4057 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,551
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Anybody noticed difference in audio quality while using his/her jvc projector? I get a huge peformance drops. Just unplug the projector and start a movie. Plug the jvc in and listnen again.
As has been said, adding a visual cue to your experience will cause you to focus less on the audio by itself as now you have to focus on both. Definitely agree this is likely a placebo affect otherwise, or something terribly wrong with your datasat settings somewhere.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #4058 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Dimitri_ISF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I believe there is such a thing as negative feedback that one electrical device can give to another device causing these problems.

There are specialized companies that actually do modifications to reverse this effect by modifying the internal electrics, like the power supply.

One that I know of is "cinemike" in germany, they do modifications to projectors, receivers etc. I was told that picture quality also benefits from these mods.


It could be something like that...
Dimitri_ISF is offline  
post #4059 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Member
 
PHINSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have emailed the three calibrators routinely recommended on this board regarding calibrating my RS520 in the ATLANTA area. Anyone know of any other good calibrators who work or regularly travel to Atlanta? Thanks.

Paul W. Hinson
PHINSON is offline  
post #4060 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri_ISF View Post
I believe there is such a thing as negative feedback that one electrical device can give to another device causing these problems.

There are specialized companies that actually do modifications to reverse this effect by modifying the internal electrics, like the power supply.

One that I know of is "cinemike" in germany, they do modifications to projectors, receivers etc. I was told that picture quality also benefits from these mods.


It could be something like that...
I suppose if they are using the same power distribution the power supply from the JVC could cause noise that the amps are being colored by. But I find that highly unlikely given that amps or AVRs are built to filter out noise from the wall socket. Which is likely much noisier than anything a projector is likely to introduce (I don't find it likely the projector would introduce anything to begin with).

jeahrens is offline  
post #4061 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri_ISF View Post
I believe there is such a thing as negative feedback that one electrical device can give to another device causing these problems.

There are specialized companies that actually do modifications to reverse this effect by modifying the internal electrics, like the power supply.

One that I know of is "cinemike" in germany, they do modifications to projectors, receivers etc. I was told that picture quality also benefits from these mods.


It could be something like that...
Yes my datasat is cinemike modded, also my oppo is. They can mod the jvc, but its so weird nobody hears difference with the projector on.
I dont think you will hear difference on the most audio systems because they aren't good enough to create a good surround bubble. If you dont have it, you cant loose it.
Masterkale is offline  
post #4062 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri_ISF View Post
I believe there is such a thing as negative feedback that one electrical device can give to another device causing these problems.

There are specialized companies that actually do modifications to reverse this effect by modifying the internal electrics, like the power supply.

One that I know of is "cinemike" in germany, they do modifications to projectors, receivers etc. I was told that picture quality also benefits from these mods.


It could be something like that...
I suppose if they are using the same power distribution the power supply from the JVC could cause noise that the amps are being colored by. But I find that highly unlikely given that amps or AVRs are built to filter out noise from the wall socket. Which is likely much noisier than anything a projector is likely to introduce (I don't find it likely the projector would introduce anything to begin with).
I think you are wright... but by example, if a preamp filter work from 10-20 mhz. And the jvc produces 50mhz noise it will be a problem.
Masterkale is offline  
post #4063 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Yes my datasat is cinemike modded, also my oppo is. They can mod the jvc, but its so weird nobody hears difference with the projector on.
I dont think you will hear difference on the most audio systems because they aren't good enough to create a good surround bubble. If you dont have it, you cant loose it.
I think considering you are posting in the $3k+ projector forum you may seriously want to rethink whether the posters in here have inadequate setups to hear this. It's a bit of an insulting generalization. There are many in here with very high end setups and the fact that no one is hearing a difference is more of a reflection on your situation than theirs. Having said that, setup a mic and see if this is measurable.
Bandyka likes this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #4064 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
It's very hard to digest that there is an audio problem that is caused by the PJ, the cable or AVR might have a loop back or something that is not happy with the PJ but there is no way the PJ would cause this. What happens when you hit the hide button ?

My audio equipment isn't considered low end at all in fact it's up there and there is no difference whatsoever and if this was such a problem surely someone else would have discovered it by now.
It still is possible you have a weird isolated problem with something in your chain.

I have a pair of electrostatic STAX headphones that are considered the top of the heap as they reproduce absolutely everything, with them once I had a problem where there was a weird noise coming through, this turned out ot be the electricity flowing through the HTPC' power supply, only a $500.00 diamond rated power supply eliminated this issue.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 01-04-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Bandyka is offline  
post #4065 of 5062 Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Yes my datasat is cinemike modded, also my oppo is. They can mod the jvc, but its so weird nobody hears difference with the projector on.
I dont think you will hear difference on the most audio systems because they aren't good enough to create a good surround bubble. If you dont have it, you cant loose it.
I think considering you are posting in the $3k+ projector forum you may seriously want to rethink whether the posters in here have inadequate setups to hear this. It's a bit of an insulting generalization. There are many in here with very high end setups and the fact that no one is hearing a difference is more of a reflection on your situation than theirs. Having said that, setup a mic and see if this is measurable.
I tried several setups. And the only preamp that gets close to a cinemike modded one is the Theta. But there is a possibility people will hear difference with different setups....
Masterkale is offline  
post #4066 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XktYXbM-M very good info about the jvc projector. Only in german
Masterkale is offline  
post #4067 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
^^ Does the video explain what's going on with the JVC that's causing your audio problem?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #4068 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
I tried several setups. And the only preamp that gets close to a cinemike modded one is the Theta. But there is a possibility people will hear difference with different setups....
Everyone understands that different setups will sound differently. However implying that people in this thread aren't hearing it because their equipment is lacking is absurd. There are several participants in this thread that take their equipment and room setup to a very high standard. These people are using precise equipment to measure and calibrate. If a JVC projector was causing an audible issue, I have complete confidence they would see it. You aren't in a thread with folks that buy a soundbar at Wal-Mart and call it high end.

Setup a mic and get conclusive evidence. People in here would be happy to help diagnose and fix any issue that can be shown. As it is, this feels like a placebo effect. The projector is not going to manipulate upstream digital data between the source and processor and I doubt the power supply in the projector would have any way to color the incoming power on the amplification to the point you would hear it. And the probability that people that are doing professional calibrations with top notch equipment have never noticed this issue on the countless setups with JVC projectors is near 0.

jeahrens is offline  
post #4069 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
jowicrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I've got some UHD discs, i got me an Apple TV 4K that can play these (using the Infuse app, great!) and my JVC X7500 switches to HDR when it sees the input. The X7500 is only calibrated for SDR.
I've been comparing a lot of scenes from e.g. Mad Max Fury Road from bluray in 1080P SDR against the 4K HDR version, but... i'm not convinced what all the fuzz is about yet... probably my HDR settings are totally wrong. I've also tried Manni01's 1000nit and 4000nit gamma curves (from the Arve tool) but also with these, i'm not sure if this is better... it is just... different.

I have no real clue about what i am supposed to see, what to look at? Overall the UHD version is darker, and some colors, especially the flames and explosions, look very darkish red and unrealistic. On the SDR bluray they look like actual flames. Greens look extremly oversaturated, almost neon like. Yellows look pale. So something is wrong, but what? I know that the 1000 and 4000nit custom gamma's is not the complete story, surely there must be some (ISF?) calibration done as well?

Are there some scenes in e.g. Fury Road that clearly should show some specific improvement over the bluray?
What can i do to make my HDR experience better?

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
jowicrt is offline  
post #4070 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
I've got some UHD discs, i got me an Apple TV 4K that can play these (using the Infuse app, great!) and my JVC X7500 switches to HDR when it sees the input. The X7500 is only calibrated for SDR.
I've been comparing a lot of scenes from e.g. Mad Max Fury Road from bluray in 1080P SDR against the 4K HDR version, but... i'm not convinced what all the fuzz is about yet... probably my HDR settings are totally wrong. I've also tried Manni01's 1000nit and 4000nit gamma curves (from the Arve tool) but also with these, i'm not sure if this is better... it is just... different.

I have no real clue about what i am supposed to see, what to look at? Overall the UHD version is darker, and some colors, especially the flames and explosions, look very darkish red and unrealistic. On the SDR bluray they look like actual flames. Greens look extremly oversaturated, almost neon like. Yellows look pale. So something is wrong, but what? I know that the 1000 and 4000nit custom gamma's is not the complete story, surely there must be some (ISF?) calibration done as well?

Are there some scenes in e.g. Fury Road that clearly should show some specific improvement over the bluray?
What can i do to make my HDR experience better?
Hmm I didn't do the nuts and bolts of my calibration, but your experience doesn't mirror mine. I believe when you setup the custom curve you should be saving it to a user slot and it should use the calibrated SDR gamma curve as the baseline (not the factory HDR preset).

Except for some outliers (I think Arrival is one that is just a dark master) you should generally see much more realistic colors and a more dynamic image without a dim picture. Just as an example we recently got the 4K Harry Potter set. The first 2 films don't show much resolution improvement, but the HDR grading manages to bring a lot more nuance into the skin tones. Also touches like McGonagall's outfit and hat have color detail I've never noticed (and I've seen these films a lot). So overall you should be seeing improvements and the color shouldn't be unnatural for the most part. Although I have yet to see Fury Road, so I can't comment.
jowicrt likes this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #4071 of 5062 Old 01-05-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
I've got some UHD discs, i got me an Apple TV 4K that can play these (using the Infuse app, great!) and my JVC X7500 switches to HDR when it sees the input. The X7500 is only calibrated for SDR.

Overall the UHD version is darker, and some colors, especially the flames and explosions, look very darkish red and unrealistic.
What can i do to make my HDR experience better?
I felt the same at first. Aside from the automatic detection of HDR, I eventually found I had to make some changes manually based on info I got from JVC that they do not provide in the owner's manual. Go figure.

Start here:
Play the UHD discs in a UHD player connected directly to the PJ. No Infuse app needed here.

Check the PJ settings:

Picture Mode: HDR
Lamp Power: High
Color Profile: BT2020
Color Temp: HDR
Gamma: ST.2084

Now some "user preference" adjustments I like to use

On the Gamma Menu:
Picture Tone: 2 (this is a powerful adjustment -- see what it does)
Dark Level: 3
jowicrt likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #4072 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
jowicrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Picture Mode: HDR
Lamp Power: High
Color Profile: BT2020
Color Temp: HDR
Gamma: ST.2084

Picture Tone: 2 (this is a powerful adjustment -- see what it does)
Dark Level: 3
Using this in stead of the custom gamma adviced from the Arve tool, made it look a lot better! Offcourse the Arve gamma's may not be suited for my projector.
Are there some guides or patterns in e.g. R. Masciola's testsuite for setting these properly?
jowicrt is offline  
post #4073 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,019
Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
Using this in stead of the custom gamma adviced from the Arve tool, made it look a lot better! Offcourse the Arve gamma's may not be suited for my projector.
Are there some guides or patterns in e.g. R. Masciola's testsuite for setting these properly?
wha?

The Arve tool suits all JVC's. Match made in heaven.

Follow guide in my sig.

You will also find info on the masciola patterns there for setting black clipping.

If using the bright level setting then you should also be checking your HDR Greyscale white clipping pattern in the masciola suite, try for 1000nits clipping.
jowicrt likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4074 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
jowicrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Thanks, but it is not clear to me what clipping actually means, i can see all black bars blinking on and off, e.g. if i turn down brightness, all bars get blacker or brighter. When do i know it is 'clipping'? Does it mean it is still flashing? If it stops flashing, it is not clipping?

Btw, what i meant with "not suited for my projector" is that the files included with the tool were made by someone else (as a starting point) and needs tweaking and tuning for my specific screen/environment etc.

And what about colors? I've downloaded this LG 4K HDR demo clip: http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/
If you look at this at youtube (i know, bare with me...) where it is converted to SDR, then at 00:05 seconds there is a closeup of a speakercone filled with red, blue and yellow paint (see picture below).

If i play the actual 4K HDR clip on my X7500, either using the default HDR settings or slightly adapted like above posts, or with the 1000nit and 4000nit gamma's according to your guide, the clip has absolutely no yellow. All yellows look like a pale beige, and also the brass of the saxophone and lighting etc are totally wrong. Green is almost neon. Is this also due to a wrong gamma setting, or do i need a HDR calibration (if there even is such a thing)?

This lack of yellow is something i'm seeing in lots of other video's and UHD discs at well. E.g. the flames in Mad Max Fury Road coming from the guitar and flamethrowers and also explosions, are just dark red with some beige. Weird. If i play the 1080P bluray using an ISF calibrated SDR usermode, they look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG_yellow.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2341352  

Last edited by jowicrt; 01-06-2018 at 06:51 AM.
jowicrt is offline  
post #4075 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Masterkale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Everyone understands that different setups will sound differently. However implying that people in this thread aren't hearing it because their equipment is lacking is absurd. There are several participants in this thread that take their equipment and room setup to a very high standard. These people are using precise equipment to measure and calibrate. If a JVC projector was causing an audible issue, I have complete confidence they would see it. You aren't in a thread with folks that buy a soundbar at Wal-Mart and call it high end.

Setup a mic and get conclusive evidence. People in here would be happy to help diagnose and fix any issue that can be shown. As it is, this feels like a placebo effect. The projector is not going to manipulate upstream digital data between the source and processor and I doubt the power supply in the projector would have any way to color the incoming power on the amplification to the point you would hear it. And the probability that people that are doing professional calibrations with top notch equipment have never noticed this issue on the countless setups with JVC projectors is near 0.
Sound quality is not only seen by frequency responce.. So what kind of tool, measurement do i need to use. I got a XTZ mic.
Masterkale is offline  
post #4076 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,019
Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
Thanks, but it is not clear to me what clipping actually means, i can see all black bars blinking on and off, e.g. if i turn down brightness, all bars get blacker or brighter. When do i know it is 'clipping'? Does it mean it is still flashing? If it stops flashing, it is not clipping?

Btw, what i meant with "not suited for my projector" is that the files included with the tool were made by someone else (as a starting point) and needs tweaking and tuning for my specific screen/environment etc.

And what about colors? I've downloaded this LG 4K HDR demo clip: http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/
If you look at this at youtube (i know, bare with me...) where it is converted to SDR, then at 00:05 seconds there is a closeup of a speakercone filled with red, blue and yellow paint (see picture below).

If i play the actual 4K HDR clip on my X7500, either using the default HDR settings or slightly adapted like above posts, or with the 1000nit and 4000nit gamma's according to your guide, the clip has absolutely no yellow. All yellows look like a pale beige, and also the brass of the saxophone and lighting etc are totally wrong. Green is almost neon. Is this also due to a wrong gamma setting, or do i need a HDR calibration (if there even is such a thing)?

This lack of yellow is something i'm seeing in lots of other video's and UHD discs at well. E.g. the flames in Mad Max Fury Road coming from the guitar and flamethrowers and also explosions, are just dark red with some beige. Weird. If i play the 1080P bluray using an ISF calibrated SDR usermode, they look good.
Quote:
Thanks, but it is not clear to me what clipping actually means, i can see all black bars blinking on and off, e.g. if i turn down brightness, all bars get blacker or brighter. When do i know it is 'clipping'? Does it mean it is still flashing? If it stops flashing, it is not clipping?
Content has a range in which it is defined black and white, then everything in between that is gamma. We need to set up our displays both in SDR and HDR to 'clip' i.e. set the correct levels using brightness and contrast controls on the machine to tell it p[recicely where black and white is by using a pattern.

So, if you have the Masciola HDR patterns, my recommendation is to raise dark level or brightness until the black bar is very very lightly blinking at bar 81, and 77 is solid black. That means you have told the projector exactly where black is, so, in content, which is mastered for a particular black level, its going to look right.



Same goes for white, with SDR (If using the AVS709 patterns) we need to have bar 235 solid white, and bar 234 slightly blinking, this means you are not losing any detail in the really bright content, for that you use the contrast control on the JVC, but I know for a fact all JVC's out of the box are pretty much perfect for SDR white clipping, though I would recommend dialling back the contrast one click for SDR.

For HDR white clipping, half the titles clip at 1000 nits, and the other half 4000 nits, but about 70% or so never actually go above 1000nit in real world, so in the meantime you should probably set your HDR white clipping point at 1000nits.

That looks like this:

10,000 nits full range.



Adjust contrast until it does this, you will see now at 1000nits its white, there will be no information above this brightness level when you set this. Some titles like MadMax clip at 4000 nits, but it will only be a couple of shots where the content goes above 4000nits, in which case they will blow out, but you may not even see it at all. But what a lot of us do, is we have two curves each set for 1000 nits and 4000 nits, and we chose the right curve based on what we are watching.



Quote:
And what about colors? I've downloaded this LG 4K HDR demo clip: http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/
If you look at this at youtube (i know, bare with me...) where it is converted to SDR, then at 00:05 seconds there is a closeup of a speakercone filled with red, blue and yellow paint (see picture below).

If i play the actual 4K HDR clip on my X7500, either using the default HDR settings or slightly adapted like above posts, or with the 1000nit and 4000nit gamma's according to your guide, the clip has absolutely no yellow. All yellows look like a pale beige, and also the brass of the saxophone and lighting etc are totally wrong. Green is almost neon. Is this also due to a wrong gamma setting, or do i need a HDR calibration (if there even is such a thing)?
That link is not real HDR, there are no HDR versions of that file whatsoever there.

This is a real HDR youtube clip. I have an app that can download the actual video from youtube links, and the link you have me has no HDR files in it, this one does.


My guess is you were not watching real HDR content and certainly not BT2020 colour space. You want to make sure you are using the right gamma, if using my curves MAKE SURE you are watching the IMPORT slot on whichever Custom Gamma you uploaded the curve to. And make sure your colour profile is BT2020.

Take a photo of your picture menus for us with your phone and show us what you mean by this beige colour, I would like to see which Gamma you are using, and colour space.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4077 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,019
Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Anybody noticed difference in audio quality while using his/her jvc projector? I get a huge peformance drops. Just unplug the projector and start a movie. Plug the jvc in and listnen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
I am using a modded oppo 203, datasat rs20i. The audio input stays the same. With the projector on the surround bubble gets smaler and the sounds is getting stuck on my speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
It doesn`t matter. PCM, dd, dts. Auro, atmos i tried all. When i plug in a sony vw360 i don`t get this problem. Only with the JVC. I also tried a JVC of a friend of mine, and it is still the same. He also noticed the problem with his modded Marantz Av8802.

I also tried, the both HDMI options on the oppo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Yes my datasat is cinemike modded, also my oppo is. They can mod the jvc, but its so weird nobody hears difference with the projector on.
I dont think you will hear difference on the most audio systems because they aren't good enough to create a good surround bubble. If you dont have it, you cant loose it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Sound quality is not only seen by frequency responce.. So what kind of tool, measurement do i need to use. I got a XTZ mic.
Its possible you are hearing the effects of a ground loop. I used to have that issue and it originated from my HTPC graphics card, it would manifest as distortion while playing content through MadVR, its almost a coil whine but coming from the speakers, I fixed it by getting 10db in line attenuators and also making custom grounding cables.

Sounds to me like if you really are hearing a difference, something is not grounded right, or causing problems in your specific circumstance.

Also, suggesting your gear is so good nobody could hear what you are describing is ridiculous.





My room has a phenomenal 'bubble' as you call it, I hear everything, all imperfections in mastering etc, I even pointed out flaws (clipping) in movie mastering to Bluray reviewers who apparently didn't hear it themselves and gave the movies full points for sound, even those with very very expensive Martin Logan systems (Not you Bandyka). My AMT's reveal everything and are silent as night when they need to be.

That said, yes, I used to have an issue with ground loops, and I solved it. Are you hearing any actual feedback through the speakers? Try muting your amp while content is playing, if there is a groundloop you will still hear it through the speakers even when muted.

What speakers are you running btw?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4078 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
jowicrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
That link is not real HDR, there are no HDR versions of that file whatsoever there.
Are you sure? It even activates HDR mode on the JVC...?!?

I will study the rest of your comments and get back to you, thanks so far!
jowicrt is offline  
post #4079 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,019
Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
Are you sure? It even activates HDR mode on the JVC...?!?

I will study the rest of your comments and get back to you, thanks so far!
Ahh yeah sorry, I didn't even see the download link, I just looked at the youtube video.

Anyway, I did download the actual linked file just now.

Its still not HDR. it plays with full colour and gamma in SDR, which means it is not optimised for HDR...

It may have an HDR flag on the JVC but this is not correct HDR gamma.

The peru clip I linked you to, when I open the HDR file it looks like this on my PC which is the expected look, when I enable HDR on my display it looks outstanding, deep and rich in colour.



The 1080p non HDR file looks like this, which is also what the HDR version looks like with correct HDR mode engaged using the file above:



But opening your LD demo, I am seeing the same gamma and colour as the Youtube non-HDR video, indicating its not real HDR...





Also MadVR is not reporting it as HDR, it is saying its BT2020 though...

Try the Peru clip.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4080 of 5062 Old 01-06-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,080
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Wow, the Peru clip is impressive even viewing on a 1080p only projector...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off