Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10165Likes

post #4861 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jvc RS520 (x7500) Flicker

Hello
Jvc RS420(x7500) arround 300 hours.
Suddenly my jvc x7500 start to flicker. Both on Oppo 203 and Pannasonic UB 820 with different cabels. Both in menus and in movie (4k and 1080)

Just had the projector repaired(malfunction of the management board and video processor)and have use it 30 hours since then.

Any solution? just send back again for repair?

best
kalle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggener View Post
Hello
Suddenly my jvc x7500 start to flicker. Both on Oppo 203 and Pannasonic UB 820 with different cabels. Both in menus and in movie (4k and 1080)
Does it flicker in the High Power mode as well?
post #4863 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6397 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by apcreek View Post
Well I've found a buyer for my X5500 and I've found a great deal for a X9500 with a new bulb.

Can't wait to see the inky blacks in my batcave.
Congrats , enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Disagree here. In my room, my RS640 gets so dark that I literally cannot tell where the screen ends and the wall begins. I was playing this video game last week that's all black screen and a red logo and the logo literally looks like its floating in the air. The interstellar space scene, with iris allowed to clamp down all the way, looks like you're in a planetarium. Before I had a projector, I had 3 pioneer Kuro - one in each of my viewing rooms. The RS640 is about as good as that was for blacks.
Ya, If my unit hits a dead input, man its dark in that room

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Is anyone having issues with the fan in the RS520? Over the last couple of weeks it has started making a lot of noise and it is making me crazy. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?
Probably went bad, service call? Still in warranty I am guessing?
apcreek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Probably went bad, service call? Still in warranty I am guessing?
How do I tell if it went bad? I will make a service call this week but I am not sure it is still under warranty. I bought it in July 2017. I have less than 100 hours on it for sure. I will be irate if there is nothing I can do - it was not cheap.

Some more context - the fan was pretty quiet up until a couple of weeks ago. I could hear it but only during times of almost complete silence in the movie. Now I can hear it all the time over almost any dialogue. If I'm watching an action scene or something set to music I don't hear it because it is just drowned out but the speakers. It also makes the loud noise right away so I don't think it is heat related - it doesn't have to warm up or anything. It is frustrating - we watched Darkest Hour last weekend and I could hear the fan loudly the entire time to the point where I was not enjoying myself at all.

Is there something I could do myself to fix it? I'm going to try vacuuming the inside of the hush box but short of that I can't think of anything. Thanks.

Last edited by javeryh; 09-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.
post #4865 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do I tell if it went bad? I will make a service call this week but I am not sure it is still under warranty. I bought it in July 2017. I have less than 100 hours on it for sure. I will be irate if there is nothing I can do - it was not cheap.
The RS520 comes with a 3-year warranty.
post #4866 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The RS520 comes with a 3-year warranty.
Well that's some good news at least! What is the best way to go about this? I bought the projector from Mike Garret here at AVS - should I contact him first? Or is this like when my washing machine needs to be fixed and JVC will send a repair technician to my house?
post #4867 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggener View Post
Hello
Does it flicker in the High Power mode as well?
Yes in both high and low mode. and unit was used for about 45-60 min before it happens.

What i forget to say that it suddenly stoped flicker and become normal.(after 30min)

Unit was also powerless for 15 seconds. But no difference.
But after some
different clips it become normal again.

I have a feeling this will come back again.
post #4868 of 5034 Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
UPDATE/TWEAK/IMPROVE!!!!!

OK, all. Need advice. I have the X770/RS520, and I need to know what I NEED to do.

1. I have the CMD bug, but can live with it.
2. I've done nothing but proper HD setup discs for tweaking contrast, brightness, etc, (I do a good job with basic controls) and I've been super happy. However I realize there's so much more that can be experienced.
3. I'm in a dedicated, fully light controlled batcave.
4. 120 inch setup, main viewing at about 10.5 feet.
5. 981 hours on lamp.
6. Software w29.2
7. Connected to OPPO 203, Denon 4300H, Shield TV, Xbox one, Dish, etc.
8. Have done nothing with HDR auto preset (satisfied with it, though a little dark on some movies).
9. Don't have a meter, haven't had pro calibration, no custom curves (not confident on process or whether I should/could tackle it), but I want the best feasible, investment/reward ratio I can get!!!
10. Where does bulb life (after initial break in) play into things at this point, and will I be good for the next bulb, if considerable changes were made???

I'm OK with spending money, buy I'd like the most value I could get......

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

Ronman79

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #4869 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post

OK, all. Need advice. I have the X770/RS520, and I need to know what I NEED to do.

2. I've done nothing but proper HD setup discs for tweaking contrast, brightness, etc, (I do a good job with basic controls) and I've been super happy. However I realize there's so much more that can be experienced.
5. 981 hours on lamp.
6. Software w29.2
8. Have done nothing with HDR auto preset (satisfied with it, though a little dark on some movies).
9. Don't have a meter, haven't had pro calibration, no custom curves (not confident on process or whether I should/could tackle it), but I want the best feasible, investment/reward ratio I can get!!!
10. Where does bulb life (after initial break in) play into things at this point, and will I be good for the next bulb, if considerable changes were made???

Ronman79

My advice is to experiment and to play around with both blu-ray and 4k HDR discs and get to know what you like best in both and then get in a good calibrator. Depending on where you live that may be easy or hard, you may need to ask around. Then you watch closely what they do and why they do it and you can decide if you like their results or not. If we have no basis of comparison we don't know if something is much better or why it is better, we need a base line to begin with. We need to understand our own room and equipment, what they are capable of.

With 4k HDR it is much more complicated than with blu-ray because HDR has many more variables and everyone in the chain (and I mean everyone) is still learning how to get the best out of HDR, including JVC, Sony, Panasonic, Oppo, Samsung, Dolby , the Hollywood studios etc etc etc.

Fortunately there are many custom slots in the JVC's etc where you can save different setups so you can switch and compare with you favourite viewing material.
If we don't have some idea what our current projector or tv is capable of then it is much harder to know if a new model is going to make a worthwhile (to you) improvement.
The new projectors are aimed more at 4k HDR than blu-ray SD, some people seem to forget this. They are intended to make 4k HDR look better and that means making the tv's and projectors and disc players more flexible so that they can adapt to material mastered to 1000nits or 2000nits or 4000nits. If someone is not into 4k HDR then the new changes or improvements will probably not mean much to them. But if we don't have some idea about our systems it is hard to be able to judge. The big gun's here experiment and try this and that and learn from doing so. We, the average Norm's, need to experiment at least a bit ourselves, imo.
8. Have done nothing with HDR auto preset (satisfied with it, though a little dark on some movies. Then try opening up the iris a little (if it's not already wide open) or adding a bit of brightness or something and see how you like it. That is how we learn.

In the end all these things are a balancing act which finally depends on our personal preference.
Experienced, competent calibrators can show you things and explain things that it takes years of practice and expensive equipment to master so they can be really helpful, both in the short term and the long term.
Ronman79 likes this.

Last edited by catonic; 09-14-2018 at 03:30 AM.
post #4870 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 03:36 AM
Mike D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post

5. 981 hours on lamp.
6. Software w29.2

Ronman79

Your Software is old should be v.30.1 check the JVC website it gives all that info..
Ronman79 likes this.
post #4871 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Thanks @catonic and @Maddog56 . I have experimented a good bit. I think a knowledgeable calibrator would be good. I need suggestions on how to find for the Memphis, TN area...

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #4872 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:

Some more context - the fan was pretty quiet up until a couple of weeks ago. I could hear it but only during times of almost complete silence in the movie. Now I can hear it all the time over almost any dialogue. If I'm watching an action scene or something set to music I don't hear it because it is just drowned out but the speakers. It also makes the loud noise right away so I don't think it is heat related - it doesn't have to warm up or anything. It is frustrating - we watched Darkest Hour last weekend and I could hear the fan loudly the entire time to the point where I was not enjoying myself at all.

Is there something I could do myself to fix it? I'm going to try vacuuming the inside of the hush box but short of that I can't think of anything. Thanks.
Are you by chance running the bulb in "high" instead of "low"? Or perhaps the video preset got switched to one that runs on high. Running on high is way louder than running on low.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #4873 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6397 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Well that's some good news at least! What is the best way to go about this? Or is this like when my washing machine needs to be fixed and JVC will send a repair technician to my house?
Call JVC, 1 (800) 252-5722 They will trouble shoot with you, if it is bad they will have you ship it in.......
post #4874 of 5034 Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just need some help finishing up hd fury vertex settings w/ jvc macro function. I have a JVC rs520. I've downloaded manni's standard HDR10 curves and some other custom color profiles. Do I need to setup user settings for lamp, auto iris, CMD, etc when using vertex with JVC macro? For example, he has User 2 (HDR10-DC4k curve) set as the JVC picture mode for HDR10-Main content...What are the user settings for lamp, auto iris for this? Are there recommended settings for the other content calibration options on the JVC macro tab (SDR, 3D, HLG, etc...)?

I came across this old post from Dec 2015 in the JVC calibration for rs500 for these settings for SDR rec 709:
SDR Rec-709 in user1 (for HDTV and bluray)
Colour profile: Rec-709NF (you can use standard otherwise)
Color Temp: User1, with the 6500K preset
Gamma: User1, with the 2.4 preset and +2 on dark gamma for BT1886
Iris: -14 to get 47nits (-13 jumped to more than 70nits!) and around 100000:1 native on/off calibrated to D65
Lamp: Low

Are there newer setting recommendations, if so can someone include settings for 3D, HLD, and HDR10? Dedicated bat cave, 120" screen, PJ is 13.5ft back from screen. Thank you, any help is appreciated.
post #4875 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Hi guys,
I have been a proud owner of RS500 for a few years and still love how well the picture looks. I think JVC released new projectors this year. Any improvements in new models. I didn't really care about HDR much because 98% of the movies I watch are 1080P. So for me the most important thing is more Lumens so that I can get bigger image and higher contrast. Did we get any improvements in these areas?
post #4876 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Evening gents

Anyone seen this before? Just received my ex demo 9500 and am getting a completely red picture in HDR high lamp mode.

High lamp works fine with SDR and HDR is fine in low lamp. Could it be my hdmi cable?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #4877 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Evening gents

Anyone seen this before? Just received my ex demo 9500 and am getting a completely red picture in HDR high lamp mode.

High lamp works fine with SDR and HDR is fine in low lamp. Could it be my hdmi cable?

Thanks

Actually high lamp not working with SDR either.

post #4878 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Tried a factory reset?
apcreek likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #4879 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Gambit12 View Post
Just need some help finishing up hd fury vertex settings w/ jvc macro function. I have a JVC rs520. I've downloaded manni's standard HDR10 curves and some other custom color profiles. Do I need to setup user settings for lamp, auto iris, CMD, etc when using vertex with JVC macro? For example, he has User 2 (HDR10-DC4k curve) set as the JVC picture mode for HDR10-Main content...What are the user settings for lamp, auto iris for this? Are there recommended settings for the other content calibration options on the JVC macro tab (SDR, 3D, HLG, etc...)?

I came across this old post from Dec 2015 in the JVC calibration for rs500 for these settings for SDR rec 709:
SDR Rec-709 in user1 (for HDTV and bluray)
Colour profile: Rec-709NF (you can use standard otherwise)
Color Temp: User1, with the 6500K preset
Gamma: User1, with the 2.4 preset and +2 on dark gamma for BT1886
Iris: -14 to get 47nits (-13 jumped to more than 70nits!) and around 100000:1 native on/off calibrated to D65
Lamp: Low

Are there newer setting recommendations, if so can someone include settings for 3D, HLD, and HDR10? Dedicated bat cave, 120" screen, PJ is 13.5ft back from screen. Thank you, any help is appreciated.
These are someone else's settings for their room/screen/taste and have nothing to do with your situation except as perhaps some vague guide. You need to get to know your own room and equipment and how you like your movies, sports etc to look using this projector. And/or you could find a good calibrator and get them to calibrate it for you. At the moment the HDR stuff is quite complicated and always changing.

Last edited by catonic; 09-17-2018 at 02:12 AM.
post #4880 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Evening gents

Thanks

Your gamma baseline for High lamp mode is corrupt, you need to Autocal Gamma in high lamp.

They have different tables for high and low lamp. Looks like somebody ran Autocal and interrupted it from completely properly in high lamp.

Factory reset is not going to fix that, an Autocal session is required.

I am 90% sure this is the problem.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #4881 of 5034 Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Your gamma baseline for High lamp mode is corrupt, you need to Autocal Gamma in high lamp.

They have different tables for high and low lamp. Looks like somebody ran Autocal and interrupted it from completely properly in high lamp.

Thanks, I've emailed the seller to find out.
post #4882 of 5034 Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Pleas try different iris positions and see what happens. Now I remember when I had this issue only some positions were affected but I had a file to restore to.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #4883 of 5034 Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I too think this is the issue. If the OP does not have a meter to rerun autocal for now, a quick check would be to change the CMD or colour filter (by switching to a different colour profile), as those settings also use different gamma baselines.

EDIT: On second thought, an interrupted autocal would not have saved the calibration results in the projector.
I’ve seen similar behavior when gamma upload fails to work properly. The tables for the three colours are sent separately.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-17-2018 at 05:57 AM.
post #4884 of 5034 Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Do most of you use Auto 1 or Auto 2 for your iris setting?

Used to be that everybody used Auto 2, but I sense a shift to Auto 1. I'm curious why.
Ronman79 likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #4885 of 5034 Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM

Hello

Two questions.
I own JVC RS520 (x7500)
And i have flicker on screen. Lamp time arround 250hours.
Any ide? Both Low and High mode. Even after reset. Two diffrent plavers and cabels. Both in menus and in movie (4k+1080)

I still dont understand how to autocal. The more i read the more insecure i get...and dont feel to "auto"
I found a guide that seams ok. But after reading some replies that guide was not 100% right.
Is is so complicated or am i strupid? :-)
I have a Spyder 5 pro and understand its only good for gamma?

Best wishes
post #4886 of 5034 Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I thought that a factory reset would fix this issue? I remember last year when I tried calibrating and for some reason I got reddish blacks so I was told to do a factory reset to get rid of it and for some reason I thought it worked?
post #4887 of 5034 Old 09-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Hi Javs... Does the auto iris work on the rs520 while playing HDR.. I've been running your curves with the irus on manual so long I forgot if it works or if I would need an hd fury to get it working...

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 09-25-2018 at 04:20 PM.
post #4888 of 5034 Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Hi Javs... Does the auto iris work on the rs520 while playing HDR.. I've been running your curves with the irus on manual so long I forgot if it works or if I would need an hd fury to get it working...
No, I use a linker, or a source player which can still send HDR, but omit the actual metadata. In which I just select the HDR mode myself, and the iris works.

Its been a none issue for me since month one of ownership

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #4889 of 5034 Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I know many are using or experimenting with the Panasonic ub820 with HDR to SDR mapping in BT.2020 color space to the JVC. I find it very nice. I am debating between high lamp and low lamp with this tone mapping. The blacks are clearly better with low lamp but after watching so many UHD's with High lamp and custom gama curve I am not sure of my choice. Curious what others preference is for this setup to the JVC (low or high lamp).

Thanks
post #4890 of 5034 Old 09-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Question when using the Panasonic UB820 tone mapping to SDR2020: does this engage the color filter on the RS520? It's my understanding that you can't manually select whether or not to use the color filter on the RS520?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page