Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10165Likes

post #4981 of 5034 Old 01-16-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Each colour temperature setting is independent. The three Custom Colour Temperatures do not “inherit” the settings from their Correction Values.
Thanks! On my RS 520 I only have two custom color temperatures - maybe HDR takes one of the slots? In any case thanks for the info. Always a great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5034 Old 01-16-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have decided to redo my screen frame. I found the screen calculator but I get confused with ratio. Is it 2.35 or 2.40 for wide viewing?
Calculator site: https://www.projectorscreen.com/proj...en-calculators
Thx
post #4983 of 5034 Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
I have decided to redo my screen frame. I found the screen calculator but I get confused with ratio. Is it 2.35 or 2.40 for wide viewing?
Calculator site: https://www.projectorscreen.com/proj...en-calculators
Thx
Unfortunately, the answer is both. LOL

Movies are shot in both ratios. What's really frustrating are movies like what Christopher Nolan puts out (Dunkirk, Interstellar, Black Knight, Inception) that jump back and forth with each scene from 2.35 to 1.78 (16:9).

Most people who do wide screen use 2.35, I believe, then just zoom in for 2.40 to fill their screen.

I use 16:9 to also accommodate TV and video games without having to zoom out or incorporate an anamorphic lens.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 5034 Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When are most of you replacing your bulbs? I just hit 2,000 hours and it looks good, but I'm not exactly sure how much brightness I've slowly lost. Do most buy the OEM bulbs, and are there deals on those anywhere?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #4985 of 5034 Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Count me in on the bulb question. I plan to measure the foot lamberts whenever I calibrate and when it drops below a point I can not compensate for in low lamp by opening the Iris I will consider a new bulb. JVC claims 3500 hours I think but I doubt many will get that in practice.

I like it brighter so I want at least 14 foot lamberts in low lamp. I currently have around 16 I think with my iris setting and I have been adjusting the iris to keep it there. I suppose my 3D viewing could suffer if my High Lamp gets too dim (I run 3D with 0 on IRIS) and I might consider upgrading then as well.
post #4986 of 5034 Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
When are most of you replacing your bulbs? I just hit 2,000 hours and it looks good, but I'm not exactly sure how much brightness I've slowly lost. Do most buy the OEM bulbs, and are there deals on those anywhere?
There are deals on the PK-L2615U lamps once in a while but you need to watch for them:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57203324

Another option would to buy Ushio NSHA250JK bare bulbs and reuse your housing. They are supposedly the same type as the ones used in the JVC PK-L2615U, but some say JVC screen the bulbs to get the brightest ones.

Both are also occasionally seen on the AVSForum Classified section.
post #4987 of 5034 Old 01-18-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
There are deals on the PK-L2615U lamps once in a while but you need to watch for them:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57203324

Another option would to buy Ushio NSHA250JK bare bulbs and reuse your housing. They are supposedly the same type as the ones used in the JVC PK-L2615U, but some say JVC screen the bulbs to get the brightest ones.

Both are also occasionally seen on the AVSForum Classified section.
Thank you, Dominic, I really appreciate the heads up. Just ordered one from that link.

I trust these are genuinely OEM lamps?

post #4988 of 5034 Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Still looking for some advice on this.

In regard to black levels - I have matte black walls, trim, and the first 4 feet of the ceiling coming out from projector painted. The ceiling is white above the seating area (for now, wife prefers to keep it but if needed it will be done). Could this be causing my black floor levels to be underwhelming? I thought that this would give me pretty good blacks however I am not happy with the picture yet.

I am up to page 55 or so now - some quick questions.

Is Manni custom curves still the way to go because it seems like they are at the point. Is there a guide on the process to go through with doing the custom gamma first, autocal, adjusting after that?

Is autocal fixed yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarryd Bryshun View Post
I just recently traded my Epson 5040ub up to a x770.

Some quick questions

1) I am seeing a lot more noise or grain. I see it on all sources from Apple TV 4k with HDR on or off and with my UBK90 UHD 4K player. Strong examples would be during Star Wars when they are on the planet evacuating. Even with cartoons on something like a blue sky that was always solid on the epson it has this grain/noise. (Not sure what the proper wording is for it.) I have adjusted the enhancement on MPC from 0 - 5 with no improvement.

2) I thought the THX mode was for HDR but if try using it it looks horrible with HDR and great with SDR so it is clearly not on mine. Was this changed? Have only got to page 30 of this thread so far so that may of been in the firmware update.

3) Black floor and colour saturation do not seem as impressive as I was expecting. I have used some of the settings that I have found on the recent pages here and the x40 recommendations. These did help substantially.

I guess my biggest concern is the grain or noise. Any feed back?

I do have a Spyder 5 that got here today so I will be autocaling. After I get back from my trip I will go ahead and try custom gammas but this will not really help with my biggest concern.

Thanks in advance,
post #4989 of 5034 Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarryd Bryshun View Post
Still looking for some advice on this.

In regard to black levels - I have matte black walls, trim, and the first 4 feet of the ceiling coming out from projector painted. The ceiling is white above the seating area (for now, wife prefers to keep it but if needed it will be done). Could this be causing my black floor levels to be underwhelming? I thought that this would give me pretty good blacks however I am not happy with the picture yet.
The room does not affect “fade to black” blacks. If that’s underwhelming I would first check for input level mismatch, and see if lowering the Brightness helps.

Quote:
I am up to page 55 or so now - some quick questions.

Is Manni custom curves still the way to go because it seems like they are at the point. Is there a guide on the process to go through with doing the custom gamma first, autocal, adjusting after that?

Is autocal fixed yet?
You can start with Dreamliner’s Quick Guide.
post #4990 of 5034 Old 01-30-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Dominic Chan! Will start with that. On page 120/160 something now.

I have managed to get a pretty great HDR picture without doing a custom curve yet but will be looking to do that next.

Question about Linker - I just recently put it in between my Rs520 and the AVR - 3ft to the Linker and then 30ft to the projector. I used to have 4:2:2 but now my Apple TV when set to that gives a black screen. If I go back to 4:2:0 it works.

Settings are EDID 2, HDR disable, and HDCP 2.2 on Linker.

Monoprice fibre cable. Highest rated one on the HDMI test thread. Have had no issues passing before. Any thoughts? Do I need to change EDID?
post #4991 of 5034 Old 01-31-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Troubleshooting help please.

JVC RS 520 with dim image.

The iris is apparently stuck in some mostly closed position. The iris does not open when I attempt to do so with the manual aperture adjustment. I can hear the motor making noises when I select a different aperture. However, the iris clearly does not move. It is very closed down at all times. And the picture does not change from its dim state.

I have cycled the PJ and unplugged it. I went into different modes like HDR etc and and no luck. Tried different sources. I remember reading that @Roger Dressler had a similar issue and they ended up replacing his lens.....

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a quick fix or do I have a mechanical failure that needs replacement?
post #4992 of 5034 Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Troubleshooting help please.

JVC RS 520 with dim image.

The iris is apparently stuck in some mostly closed position. The iris does not open when I attempt to do so with the manual aperture adjustment. I can hear the motor making noises when I select a different aperture. However, the iris clearly does not move. It is very closed down at all times. And the picture does not change from its dim state.

I have cycled the PJ and unplugged it. I went into different modes like HDR etc and and no luck. Tried different sources. I remember reading that @Roger Dressler had a similar issue and they ended up replacing his lens.....

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a quick fix or do I have a mechanical failure that needs replacement?
You will need to initiate a repair. I have e-mailed you the information. I just sold my RS620 loaner unit. However, I have an extra NX7 arriving soon that I may be able to loan you while yours is being repaired. I'll also stop by and do a new calibration after you receive your RS520 back.
jedimastergrant likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #4993 of 5034 Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6400 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Thank you, Dominic, I really appreciate the heads up. Just ordered one from that link.

From what I read when that topic was hot, there where indeed.......
post #4994 of 5034 Old 02-05-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:

From what I read when that topic was hot, there where indeed.......
Yep, it is the real McCoy.

post #4995 of 5034 Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
The room does not affect “fade to black” blacks. If that’s underwhelming I would first check for input level mismatch, and see if lowering the Brightness helps.

You can start with Dreamliner’s Quick Guide.
I tried you gamma settings you posted in the RS420 thread and gotta say you nailed those pretty good. I don't see much difference between those and the Arve ones. I've been using those the last couple weeks and I'm very pleased. Thanks Dom.

I did an autocal at 300hrs. How often should that be done?

I'm at 600 now. I lost about 10-15 percent light after the first autocal. I have 25ftls cal'd without the filter and 21ftls with filter so the 70nit works nicely.
post #4996 of 5034 Old 02-07-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I tried you gamma settings you posted in the RS420 thread and gotta say you nailed those pretty good. I don't see much difference between those and the Arve ones. I've been using those the last couple weeks and I'm very pleased. Thanks Dom.
Thanks for the feedback. My objective was indeed to match custom curves as closely as possible, for those who prefer simplicity.

Quote:
I did an autocal at 300hrs. How often should that be done?

I'm at 600 now. I lost about 10-15 percent light after the first autocal. I have 25ftls cal'd without the filter and 21ftls with filter so the 70nit works nicely.
That’s faster than I expected. Some users reported little loss even after 1000 hours (of low power use). Autocal is primary for gamma droop and doesn’t help with light loss. If you’re unsure just run it in Log Only mode to see if you need to run it again.
post #4997 of 5034 Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. My objective was indeed to match custom curves as closely as possible, for those who prefer simplicity.

That’s faster than I expected. Some users reported little loss even after 1000 hours (of low power use). Autocal is primary for gamma droop and doesn’t help with light loss. If you’re unsure just run it in Log Only mode to see if you need to run it again.
I’ve run the bulb on high pretty much from day one so that’s probably why the more than expected loss. It been very stable though after losing some lumens with the first autocal. I use autocal for gamma only.
post #4998 of 5034 Old 02-14-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellihugo View Post
Hi everyone! I've been dealing with JVC and Mendtronix for a while due to a very strange light bleeding issue on my RS620. The light bleeding started suddenly while watching a movie after a noise similar to when the automated lens cover open/close. The bleeding is vertical and is outside of the projected picture (see pictures) and changes colors and shapes depending on the action on the movie. Any ideas?

JVC states that the projector is ok and is within their specs... After almost two months and lots of calls and emails with technical support, someone in JVC agreed to have the projector send from Mendtronix San Diego to JVC corporate headquarters in Long Beach, CA for evaluation by their own technicians...

Someone experienced something similar? is this normal?
I have this, but it is only visible when the projector is syncing. If yours is visible during any content, that is NOT normal.

post #4999 of 5034 Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This has probably been discussed ad nauseam, but.....

Why, with a Vertex disabling HDR metadata and my UB820 sending SDR2020, does my 620 not fade to black on 4K/HDR movies?

The iris closes some, but not enough to fade to black.

post #5000 of 5034 Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picture issues

Hi guys,

I got a new rs520 a couple of month ago, had it professionally calibrated (4 hours ) but the difference was amazing.

I just plugged in an Nvdia shield and when i watch 4K content the picture sort of lags behind, i cannt find the exact terminology... When i watch scene with movement in it, the picture starts Stuttering. I tried to play with the optput to 24HZ or 50HZ, didnt help. Any idea?
post #5001 of 5034 Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Probably a stupid question, but I cannot seem to find the answer on here, or it's too late and my brain isn't working properly. I just picked up an X770R to replace my RS45. I have been using the PK-EM IR 3D emitter and it's worked great on my RS1, RS2 and RS45. I assume it will work on the X770R as well? Or does it require the PK-EM2 RF emitter?

Thanks!
post #5002 of 5034 Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd View Post
Probably a stupid question, but I cannot seem to find the answer on here, or it's too late and my brain isn't working properly. I just picked up an X770R to replace my RS45. I have been using the PK-EM IR 3D emitter and it's worked great on my RS1, RS2 and RS45. I assume it will work on the X770R as well? Or does it require the PK-EM2 RF emitter?

Thanks!
The newer projectors work with both IR and RF emitters.
post #5003 of 5034 Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 AM

Thanks Dominic! I figured so, but just wanted to verify. Can the RF emitter be used on the RS45?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5004 of 5034 Old 04-24-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dominic! I figured so, but just wanted to verify. Can the RF emitter be used on the RS45?
The RS45 is the same as the X30, which is listed as compatible with the EM2 according to JVC:
http://ca.jvc.com/projectors/accessories/pk_em2/
post #5005 of 5034 Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 AM

Thanks again Dominic!

post #5006 of 5034 Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
I am looking to get a wall mount for my RS520 (ceiling is not a good option for me)
I have a metal stud running horizontally about 3" from the ceiling and it is the only anchoring spot for the mount.
Probably not a lot of options...
If I cant find something decent, Ill have to construct a shelf
Thanks for any suggestions
post #5007 of 5034 Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hello, I’m looking for a little input from someone who may have gone from an older JVC projector to an RS520/X770. I’m currently using an RS35 in my dedicated theater, full light control, and dark walls/ceilings/floors. I’m overall pretty pleased with the RS35 but I’ve found an open box x770 for a pretty good price. Has anyone here made the switch from something like the RS35 to the 520/770 and can share their thoughts on the value in the upgrade? Use would be for both games and movies.
Maddog56 likes this.
post #5008 of 5034 Old 06-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post
Hello, I’m looking for a little input from someone who may have gone from an older JVC projector to an RS520/X770. I’m currently using an RS35 in my dedicated theater, full light control, and dark walls/ceilings/floors. I’m overall pretty pleased with the RS35 but I’ve found an open box x770 for a pretty good price. Has anyone here made the switch from something like the RS35 to the 520/770 and can share their thoughts on the value in the upgrade? Use would be for both games and movies.
I just recently went from an RS45 to an X770. I don't play games, just watch movies and TV on it. It was honestly a bigger jump in quality than I ever imagined. I thought my RS45 with a darbee looked so good. However, the color fidelity and contrast bump on the X770 are several levels above the RS45.

I have a dedicated, light controlled media room. I have a 126" 1.85/145" 2.35 custom screen I built. If you can get it for a great price, I think it's a no brainier. I wish I could get a new model, but can only afford to stay a couple of years behind the current model.

post #5009 of 5034 Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well, I pulled the trigger on the x770R. Now to digest as much of this thread as possible. Looks like I plan to use MadVR to strip the HDR metadata. Most of the info I’ve read about custom gamma curves seems to center around the X00 models, do the X20 models still need curves loaded?
post #5010 of 5034 Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
I just recently went from an RS45 to an X770. I don't play games, just watch movies and TV on it. It was honestly a bigger jump in quality than I ever imagined. I thought my RS45 with a darbee looked so good. However, the color fidelity and contrast bump on the X770 are several levels above the RS45.

I have a dedicated, light controlled media room. I have a 126" 1.85/145" 2.35 custom screen I built. If you can get it for a great price, I think it's a no brainier. I wish I could get a new model, but can only afford to stay a couple of years behind the current model.

Sounds like a winner. Notice any improvement in sharpness?

What do you think of 4k sources on e-shift vs. the RS-45?

The RS-45 is absolute hell to calibrate, especially after it ages as it goes too blue and the gamma gets real messed up. If you don't have a calibration meter, another way to check a projector is by comparing to another more accurate projector's color, or using a known accurate mode on a TV or LCD monitor. I actually have to calibrate using Animation Mode of all things, but the color does look pretty good after that even compared to a Benq w7000 which has pretty accurate color post-calibration.

However, you should get a huge bump in contrast at least.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page