Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10170Likes

post #5071 of 5096 Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5525 Post(s)
Liked: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoospiff View Post
I had CMD on low for standard and off for HDR. Turned CMD off last night and got through 2 hours without a problem. Will update in a few days to see if this fixes this weird problem. Many thanks and fingers crossed!
I’m quite sure that’s the problem as I’ve seen it on quite a few JVCs.

You can even restore the screen while the projector is acting up; just practice a few times with the remote while the projector is behaving normally, as otherwise you won’t be able to see what’s going on.

Note that you have to double-click the button to switch the setting, as the first click displays the current setting. If you’re starting from Low you have to double-click a few time (pausing in between) before you get to Off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5096 Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I’m quite sure that’s the problem as I’ve seen it on quite a few JVCs.

You can even restore the screen while the projector is acting up; just practice a few times with the remote while the projector is behaving normally, as otherwise you won’t be able to see what’s going on.

Note that you have to double-click the button to switch the setting, as the first click displays the current setting. If you’re starting from Low you have to double-click a few time (pausing in between) before you get to Off.
Have had no problems for last 4 nights once I turned CMD off so that was it. A little disturbing that CMD causes unit to fail on a nightly basis but I can live without it. Thanks again to Dominic Chan for the help.
post #5073 of 5096 Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoospiff View Post
Have had no problems for last 4 nights once I turned CMD off so that was it. A little disturbing that CMD causes unit to fail on a nightly basis but I can live without it. Thanks again to Dominic Chan for the help.
I encountered the issue mostly when switching between certain sources. Once switched to a source CMD does not give me any troubles. As mentioned earlier, even when the issue arises you can still turn odd CMD to restore the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5074 of 5096 Old 11-27-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7134 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I am considering selling my RS 520. I looked in the classifieds but I can't find many prices listed for units that have sold. Can you guys give me a ballpark number to think about listing it for? I had the mechanism for the lens replaced earlier this year under warranty and it is working perfectly. It has 817 hours on the bulb. It has been calibrated by High Impact AV and has custom curves installed.

Edit: I see some for around $2500 but I need some more examples to make sure it is a reasonable number and I'm having trouble locating recent sales.
List it for $2500 and see what it sells for, its only worth what a buyer is willing to pay....
post #5075 of 5096 Old 11-27-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is the RS520U the same as the X770R?
Also what are the changes made/differences/advantages between this (X770R) and the RS400U?
post #5076 of 5096 Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am having issues with a RS620. This JVC projector is very high quality and love the image contrast. But there is some lens blur on a corner.

On this forum I've seen people complaining about the sharpness of some JVC projector. Is it something normal ?
Whatever I set the focus, I cannot get the right/bottom-right image side to be crisp.

Either all picture a bit blur, or only right side blur. For movies it okayish but for reading text or desktop it not nice.

It has only 500 hours but I sent it back in warranty. What do you think ?

There is other images that shows the blurriness attached below. I didn't want to spam the forum with huge pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setup1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2650188   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2650190   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2650192   Click image for larger version

Name:	blurry_right.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	2650194   Click image for larger version

Name:	blur1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2650196  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	2650198   Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	2650200  
post #5077 of 5096 Old 12-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi guys, what's the best 4k player to go with the JVC 520? I have the opportunity to get a panny 820 or an Oppo 203. Thanks for any input guys.
post #5078 of 5096 Old 12-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
Hi guys, what's the best 4k player to go with the JVC 520? I have the opportunity to get a panny 820 or an Oppo 203. Thanks for any input guys.
Panny 420, 820 doesn't add anything different for a projector. MadVR even better, if you want to watch movies on an HTPC.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #5079 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have read most of this thread as well as the CMD thread. I am looking at a used 520 and it is a big purchase for me so I want to make sure I have a good grasp on this PJ.

With the CMD issues on this model, my understanding is as long as CMD and LL are off, there are no issues correct? If I do want to get the CMD fixed, can I send it in and have JVC take care of this after the warranty is out or is this an in-warranty fix only?

Any other known issues inherent to this model?

Thank you again for the information. I will be updating from an FPJ1 (RS2) that I purchased 12 years ago. Should be a slight upgrade.

Chad
post #5080 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by radchad3 View Post
I have read most of this thread as well as the CMD thread. I am looking at a used 520 and it is a big purchase for me so I want to make sure I have a good grasp on this PJ.

With the CMD issues on this model, my understanding is as long as CMD and LL are off, there are no issues correct? If I do want to get the CMD fixed, can I send it in and have JVC take care of this after the warranty is out or is this an in-warranty fix only?

Thank you again for the information. I will be updating from an FPJ1 (RS2) that I purchased 12 years ago. Should be a slight upgrade.

Chad
I went from an FPJ1 to an RS45 and was amazed. Didn't think going to an RS520 from the RS45 was going to be much of an improvement. But it blew me away. I couldn't imagine the difference going from the FPJ1 straight to an RS520. Your mouth is going to hit the floor. It was a huge purchase for me, as well. I don't used CMD, so I've never even gaven that bug a minute's notice. I rarely watch TV on it, mainly movies, but I do not have any upgraditis since i picked up my used 520 10 months ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5081 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo_electro View Post
Hello,

I am having issues with a RS620. This JVC projector is very high quality and love the image contrast. But there is some lens blur on a corner.
There is other images that shows the blurriness attached below. I didn't want to spam the forum with huge pictures.
Did you buy this projector used or new?
What did you end up doing about this unit, send it back for RMA, still under warranty?

I think the reason no-one responded to your inquiry was because you didn't state much of your situation.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #5082 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd View Post
I went from an FPJ1 to an RS45 and was amazed. Didn't think going to an RS520 from the RS45 was going to be much of an improvement. But it blew me away. I couldn't imagine the difference going from the FPJ1 straight to an RS520. Your mouth is going to hit the floor. It was a huge purchase for me, as well. I don't used CMD, so I've never even gaven that bug a minute's notice. I rarely watch TV on it, mainly movies, but I do not have any upgraditis since i picked up my used 520 10 months ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I mainly watch movies as well, no games. I think the upgrade should be huge!
marchewd likes this.
post #5083 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Chad
I shipped mines from miami fl to I believe California and had it back in 14 days fixed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #5084 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Can the CMD fix only be done if it is under warranty?
post #5085 of 5096 Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Dull colors

I'm having a problem with dull colors on my X770/RS520 and am at a loss for how to proceed with troubleshooting. The colors are dull on both SDR and HDR material from what I can tell.

My standard signal path is Oppo BDP-203 -> Anthem MRX 1120 -> DLA-X770.

For the sake of testing, I've removed the Anthem from the middle and connected the PJ directly to the BDP.

The PJ has the latest firmware - 30.1. It auto-selects HDR correctly and configures rec 2020 color space and bt.2084 gamma. (I've tried HLG gamma but that causes things to be washed out even more.)

I've been running some tests and calibration with the Spears & Munsil HDR disc. I found that the colors are clipping if I have the BDP output in any of the YUV modes, but they don't clip when it's set to RGB (either video or PC). Is that expected? I would think that YUV 4:4:4 should work, but it seems that things are better when the BDP does the RGB conversion. That doesn't bode well for other sources that don't have output processing that's as flexible. (PS4, FireTV, etc.)

I've set brightness and contrast as close to ideal as possible. I've also set them back to 0, but neither seems to have an effect on the colors.

This probably isn't directly related, but the brightness setting reacts a little strange. The left (darkest) two bars and the checkerboard background alternately disappear and reappear as I cycle through the settings from -5 to +5.

I've seen references earlier in this thread where people have set incorrect color space when watching SDR and experienced oversaturated colors. I can say that I've never seen oversaturated colors regardless of any content or configuration.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the HDMI cable to the PJ. I find it hard to believe that it would work well for everything besides the extended color space, but I guess anything can happen.

At this point, I'm at a loss for what to try next. Are there any setting or other troubleshooting steps that I haven't tried yet? Or is there any other source content I can use to further identify how much of a problem I have?
- Dave
post #5086 of 5096 Old 01-20-2020, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post
At this point, I'm at a loss for what to try next. Are there any setting or other troubleshooting steps that I haven't tried yet? Or is there any other source content I can use to further identify how much of a problem I have?
Was it working properly before? Did you change something or did it happen suddenly?
post #5087 of 5096 Old 01-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Was it working properly before? Did you change something or did it happen suddenly?
I'm not sure that I've watched enough HDR content to say. There's only 140 hrs on the bulb. I should also mention that I've never autocal'd.

It could have always been like this.

I've seen references to gamma droop. Not sure if that's at play here or if it's relevant for me yet with such low hours.
- Dave
post #5088 of 5096 Old 01-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I'm not sure that I've watched enough HDR content to say. There's only 140 hrs on the bulb. I should also mention that I've never autocal'd.

It could have always been like this.

I've seen references to gamma droop. Not sure if that's at play here or if it's relevant for me yet with such low hours.
- Dave
I'd call JVC. I havent called them specifically but have called Yamaha and Denon in the past and they have provided great support

----------------------------------------------------------------------
JVC RS620 | 100" Stewart ST100 Screen | Panasonic UB900 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242
Atmos 7.3.4 | Denon 4300 | Outlaw M2200 for HTD Level 3 L/C/R & in-wall surrounds & atmos
3 x PE UM15-22 sealed subwoofers | Crown XLS 2502 | miniDSP HD
post #5089 of 5096 Old 01-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Can the CMD fix only be done if it is under warranty?
I also would like to know this?
post #5090 of 5096 Old 01-28-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi guys

Please can anyone advise what this error code is on my X9500?

Unit turns on and I get the blue screen and can access the menus for a min before powering off.

I've tried a factory reset which didn't solve the issue.

thanks.
post #5091 of 5096 Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Following up from my comments above, I think I'm ready to autocal.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I have to ask...

I'm having trouble finding the latest thoughts on optimizing performance using Arve's tool, custom gamma curves, getting to Rec709, etc. Many threads keep a summary on the first page with the latest calibration tools, settings, etc. but I don't see that here.

Does anyone know if there's a consolidated list of recommendations somewhere along the way? Or is there a timeframe to start from when these projectors were really getting dialed in? I'm hoping not to have to read through 5000+ messages to catch all of the details. I started reading backwards from the most recent messages but there is too much context missing.

There are some pretty good guides for the newer models, but their features and OOB performance don't seem to align well enough to use as a baseline.

Sorry for a lazy question, but I'm hoping to save myself some time so I can get to calibrating. I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious that would speed up the education process.

Thanks.
- Dave
post #5092 of 5096 Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Following up from my comments above, I think I'm ready to autocal.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I have to ask...

I'm having trouble finding the latest thoughts on optimizing performance using Arve's tool, custom gamma curves, getting to Rec709, etc. Many threads keep a summary on the first page with the latest calibration tools, settings, etc. but I don't see that here.

Does anyone know if there's a consolidated list of recommendations somewhere along the way? Or is there a timeframe to start from when these projectors were really getting dialed in? I'm hoping not to have to read through 5000+ messages to catch all of the details. I started reading backwards from the most recent messages but there is too much context missing.

There are some pretty good guides for the newer models, but their features and OOB performance don't seem to align well enough to use as a baseline.

Sorry for a lazy question, but I'm hoping to save myself some time so I can get to calibrating. I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious that would speed up the education process.

Thanks.
- Dave
You can use the RS540 settings:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-thread.html
post #5093 of 5096 Old 02-09-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
post #5094 of 5096 Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi,

Is there a big difference between the BT2020 and the Reference profile?
It seems i am getting "more" colors with BT2020, but i dont understand this, because the two profiles use the same color filter?
post #5095 of 5096 Old 02-15-2020, 01:11 PM

I seem to be having some problems with Autocal. I'm calibrating a DLA-X990 using Autocal 9 v 1.20. The projector has firmware v30.1. Everything is at its latest version from what I can tell.

I set everything up with initial settings as recommended in the RS540 thread, including manual iris (0 for HDR, -7 for SDR). I touched up the the brightness and contrast and then started the calibrations. My goal is to set up two profiles - one for SDR rec.709 and one for HDR bt.2020.

I'm using a Spyder 5 for gamma and i1pro2 for gamut and temp. Readings fall within the target box at the start of all calibrations.

Results are below.

SDR:

HDR:

Most of these results don't make sense.

1. What's with that HDR gamma curve? I can confirm that's actually what was loaded and it's obviously unwatchable. I ran the calibration 4 times with both the 20-point and 33-point settings but it always ends up the same.
2. Why do the gamuts look the same for both rec.709 and bt.2020? And why doesn't the rec.709 gamut match the pink ideal line?
3. Why are the color temps so far off from D65? (maybe because I measured them with the Spyder5?)

As a more general comment, I've found that I have to restart the Autocal software between measurement runs otherwise it gets stuck reading from the projector. Is that a common problem?

Does any of the above make sense? Or am I doing something wrong?
- Dave
post #5096 of 5096 Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. What's with that HDR gamma curve? I can confirm that's actually what was loaded and it's obviously unwatchable. I ran the calibration 4 times with both the 20-point and 33-point settings but it always ends up the same.
It's better to run autocal with the Normal gamma since the result can be verified easily.

Quote:
2. Why do the gamuts look the same for both rec.709 and bt.2020? And why doesn't the rec.709 gamut match the pink ideal line?
Your SDR calibration was run in Natural picture mode with the Reference colour profile which is not Rec. 709. You need to download or create the Rec. 709 colour profile, although I believe the unnamed Custom Profiles are also Rec. 709.

Quote:
3. Why are the color temps so far off from D65? (maybe because I measured them with the Spyder5?)
Did you apply any adjustments to the RGB gains?

Quote:
As a more general comment, I've found that I have to restart the Autocal software between measurement runs otherwise it gets stuck reading from the projector. Is that a common problem?
That happens sometimes.

Quote:
Does any of the above make sense?
Most of these have been already discussed on the JVC Autocal thread. It was originally meant for V5/V6 software but there are very few differences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page