Official JVC RS520/RS620 (X7500/X9500) Owner's Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10165Likes

post #781 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Why do you need to use Best Buy?
I work there, so I get a decent discount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quick autocal question: I don't have the Spyder meter yet (on the way) but I'm wondering if I can use functions of JVC autocal (like uploading a gamma curve) without the meter connected ? I know I could try it and see, but I'd rather know this ahead if possible.
post #783 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
Quick autocal question: I don't have the Spyder meter yet (on the way) but I'm wondering if I can use functions of JVC autocal (like uploading a gamma curve) without the meter connected ? I know I could try it and see, but I'd rather know this ahead if possible.
Yes you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavidson View Post
OK. Let me know if it comes back. Ill give you a few days to play before I reach out to JVC. FWIW, when I get the flashing color bars, the projector seemed unresponsive as well even when changing sources, but if I use the JVC remote and toggle the CMD a few times to cycle through to off, the picture came back. It would still reproduce the flashing bars though if I turned CMD back on until a power recycle like you witnessed.

I just chalked it up to a software bug with 4K HDR and the Ultra because I could never initiate it on other sources and since I didn't really care for CMD anyways, I would live with it... but if your replacement actually fixed it, I might RMA as well just so I'm not looking at a projector that could potentially fail over time.

Bradley
Wouldn't you know it. I quit out of Sneaky Pete and .... colored flashing bars on all inputs ! Same damn problem. I'm going to turn off CMD and see if the problem ever manifests again. When it originally happened, I was on the phone with a JVC rep and he decided it was a faulty unit. And it did have non Roku issues sometimes as well. We'll see....
Thank you for the heads up on this !
post #785 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you know it. I quit out of Sneaky Pete and .... colored flashing bars on all inputs ! Same damn problem. I'm going to turn off CMD and see if the problem ever manifests again. When it originally happened, I was on the phone with a JVC rep and he decided it was a faulty unit. And it did have non Roku issues sometimes as well. We'll see....
Sorry man. :-( At least you are not alone, yea?

Bradley
mintakaX likes this.
post #786 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11815 Post(s)
Liked: 9350
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Quote:

Bradley
Connect bd player direct to projector. If no problem there, then I would not just assume that the problem is the projector.
Vinilp likes this.
post #787 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Connect bd player direct to projector. If no problem there, then I would not just assume that the problem is the projector.
(I know you recommended the same thing to me Mike, but...)

Could be the Roku Ultra through the Denon AVR to the JVC and or anyone of the cables in between, but given that it only happens (for me) when CMD is enabled on HDR content and once it is triggered every source has it, it simply feels like a software problem... Maybe in the Denon... maybe in the JVC, but likely not the cables. Also, two different projectors models, a year apart, and four physical units (someone else in the other JVC thread reported the same problem with color bars and the Roku in HDR) it just feels like software in the JVC triggered possibly by a poor Roku implementation.

I haven't bothered moving my Roku out of the equipment rack and near my projector to verify if I can reproduce. CMD on HDR sources just isn't interesting to me. Maybe ill give it a go this weekend.

Bradley
post #788 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
(I know you recommended the same thing to me Mike, but...)

Could be the Roku Ultra through the Denon AVR to the JVC and or anyone of the cables in between, but given that it only happens (for me) when CMD is enabled on HDR content and once it is triggered every source has it, it simply feels like a software problem... Maybe in the Denon... maybe in the JVC, but likely not the cables. Also, two different projectors models, a year apart, and four physical units (someone else in the other JVC thread reported the same problem with color bars and the Roku in HDR) it just feels like software in the JVC triggered possibly by a poor Roku implementation.

I haven't bothered moving my Roku out of the equipment rack and near my projector to verify if I can reproduce. CMD on HDR sources just isn't interesting to me. Maybe ill give it a go this weekend.

Bradley
If they all had the Roku Ultra in common and nothing else, then I would be looking there. I know a lot of people have had trouble with the Roku Ultra so far.
post #789 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
If they all had the Roku Ultra in common and nothing else, then I would be looking there. I know a lot of people have had trouble with the Roku Ultra so far.
I can't disagree with that. From reports I have seen and provided feedback on, it happens when the Roku Ultra re-syncs into and/or out-of HDR content. I noticed it specifically using Netflix. (Haven't really watched any other HDR sources on the Roku.) It does seem bad enough, though, to get the JVC into a mode where CMD is borked until a power cycle on the JVC. Once this "CMD Color Bar Mode (TM)" is flipped, it doesn't matter the source device or content (HDR, non HDR), if CMD is enabled, only a power cycle of the JVC fixes it. Tivo, Oppo, Roku... 1080p, 1080i, 4k SDR, 4k HDR... once triggered, only a JVC power cycle fixes it.

Bradley
post #790 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, when I was on the phone with the JVC rep, that is exactly what we did, and we did it when the color bars were flashing. Direct connection between any source and PJ had same result, flashing colored bars. At this point I don't trust my memory when I said I had issues that did not somehow involve the Roku, I just can't really confirm that now.

Even if we assume the issue starts with the Roku Ultra, is it really OK that an input source can cause the PJ to completely bork (love that word ) and require a power cycle ? If it is actually related to the CMD, then I could live with that because I really don't want to swap out PJs again.
post #791 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bradley
Exactly !
post #792 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well, when I was on the phone with the JVC rep, that is exactly what we did, and we did it when the color bars were flashing. Direct connection between any source and PJ had same result, flashing colored bars. At this point I don't trust my memory when I said I had issues that did not somehow involve the Roku, I just can't really confirm that now.

Even if we assume the issue starts with the Roku Ultra, is it really OK that an input source can cause the PJ to completely bork (love that word ) and require a power cycle ? If it is actually related to the CMD, then I could live with that because I really don't want to swap out PJs again.
Not at all acceptable, but if the Roku is broken, you do not try to fix the problem by fixing the projector. I am not saying that is your case, but often times the display gets blamed, when it is not the problem. Lots of times the source device is the problem, not the display device. Put it another way, If the display worked fine with 4 sources that were using the same resolution, bit rate and HDCP protection and yet had trouble with a 5th source also at the same resolution, bit rate and HDCP protection, would you be looking at the projector for the problem or the source? keep in mind the display does not know what device is sending what. So if the display has proven that it can accept that resolution at that bit rate with that same HDCP, then the problem has to be with the source.
Mikenificent1 likes this.
post #793 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
You can pay, using Paypal and then get six months.
If you use your BB card, you get 24 months. Again, it wouldn't really be worth it if they don't allow you to haggle (or, in ScottSFA's case, get the employee discount). If all things are equal, 24 months same as cash, or 6% back in rewards is pretty enticing.

That said, I've never bought a TV from Best Buy (or Amazon, or any other big box), so I suppose for me, all things aren't equal .
post #794 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
My previous RS620 had intermittent issues (those flashing color bars) when also switching sources other than the Roku. When it happened, the PJ became completely locked and would not respond to any commands. The only rectification was turning it off, waiting for cooling and turning it back on. I just set the replacement RS620 up last night and haven't seen any issues. I am watching Amazon's Sneaky Pete UHD on the Roku (set to 4K HDR), which does initiate the HDR mode on the PJ. I confirmed that I do have CMD on low for the HDR picture mode.
So it looks like the replacement doesn't have the issue you mention.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to check.
Same as mine, it got replaced and no issues so far.

@mintakaX by what you are describing I am quite certain yours is DOA as well.

If all three of us having the same issue in one forum it seems to be a bad batch.

Also you don't need to pull the plug to destroy the lamp, simply hold down the power button on the PJ itself and it will shutdown gracefully.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 02-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #795 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not at all acceptable, but if the Roku is broken, you do not try to fix the problem by fixing the projector. I am not saying that is your case, but often times the display gets blamed, when it is not the problem. Lots of times the source device is the problem, not the display device. Put it another way, If the display worked fine with 4 sources that were using the same resolution, bit rate and HDCP protection and yet had trouble with a 5th source also at the same resolution, bit rate and HDCP protection, would you be looking at the projector for the problem or the source? keep in mind the display does not know what device is sending what. So if the display has proven that it can accept that resolution at that bit rate with that same HDCP, then the problem has to be with the source.
Thanks Mike. I guess time will tell and for the record, it was the JVC rep that blamed the original , PJ, not me . I dont know how to determine exactly what is broken since I'm not sure I can reproduce the problem at will. I'm hoping the issue is what @bdavidson hypothesized.... some weird interaction between CMD and the Roku Ultra. I've turned CMD off for now. At this point I have my hands full figuring out how to do JVC autocal and importing a custom gamma curve. I'll report back if I experience any further issues.
post #796 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post

If all three of us having the same issue in one forum it seems to be a bad batch.

Also you don't need to pull the plug to destroy the lamp, simply hold down the power button on the PJ itself and it will shutdown gracefully.
Just to be clear, I am experiencing this problem on the replacement unit ! I'd really like to know for sure if its a bad PJ and from a bad batch.
post #797 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, I am experiencing this problem on the replacement unit ! I'd really like to know for sure if its a bad PJ and from a bad batch.
Well it does seem so unfortunately.

So please clarify:

Does the PJ lock up and become unresponsive?
Do you see colored random bars?
How often does it happen?
Does it happen when switching sources?
Does it happen by any chance when you are playing HDR content and switching back to another source?

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #798 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:

So please clarify:

Does it happen by any chance when you are playing HDR content and switching back to another source?
I haven't even tested HDR on mine yet.

Was watching Chefs table last night in 4k on Netflix.

I am still awestruck at the sharpness I am seeing from this projector. The lens is extraordinary.
Spizz, woofer, pnwrs5 and 1 others like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #799 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Dishonourably.
kitti and Bandyka like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #800 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So please clarify:

The PJ is not completely locked up. It will do a resync when changing sources, but after the sync, I see random colored bars for any source I switch to. It has only happened once (today) since I set up the PJ last night, and it wasnt when switching sources, rather it happened when I was watching HDR content from the Roku and exited from that content. So the PJ had to switch out of HDR.
I've decided to remove the Roku from the chain and see if I experience any issues with other sources.

I wish I could exactly remember what happened with the previous unit, I know that there were some instances when that PJ completely locked up with the random flashing colored bars.
post #801 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

I am still awestruck at the sharpness I am seeing from this projector. The lens is extraordinary.
I am coming from a JVC 500 and I notice a bit better sharpness on the 520. Could be wrong, but both my wife noticed watching the same content that it seemed sharper.
Dandlj likes this.

Last edited by sfitzger; 02-23-2017 at 05:30 PM.
post #802 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3749 Post(s)
Liked: 6392
Do not use the auto calibration software for actual calibration as the new V9 software has issues. You can still use it to upload profiles or to do custom gamma adjustments, but doing a cal will result in bad results which will require a reload of init file. JVC has been told so hopefully we will se an update the fixes it at some point.
post #803 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

I second that, and just to stir things up I am now watching native 1080p content in 1080p resolution as it's incredibly sharp and detailed. Never thought I would ever watch 1080p again without upscaling.

Quote:
The PJ is not completely locked up. It will do a resync when changing sources, but after the sync, I see random colored bars for any source I switch to. It has only happened once (today) since I set up the PJ last night, and it wasnt when switching sources, rather it happened when I was watching HDR content from the Roku and exited from that content. So the PJ had to switch out of HDR.
I've decided to remove the Roku from the chain and see if I experience any issues with other sources.

I wish I could exactly remember what happened with the previous unit, I know that there were some instances when that PJ completely locked up with the random flashing colored bars.
If it makes you feel any better I have just hooked up a Roku ultra and it plays perfectly. Tried to switch sources a million times no issues.

post #804 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I second that, and just to stir things up I am now watching native 1080p content in 1080p resolution as it's incredibly sharp and detailed. Never thought I would ever watch 1080p again without upscaling.

If it makes you feel any better I have just hooked up a Roku ultra and it plays perfectly. Tried to switch sources a million times no issues.
No, that makes me feel worse ! Misery loves company
Seriously though I hope you dont have any issues.
post #805 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
I work there, so I get a decent discount.
Get in touch with Mike..
post #806 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just updated the latest beta on the Oppo and now we can set the HDR target luminance which is great.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #807 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Just updated the latest beta on the Oppo and now we can set the HDR target luminance which is great.
I updated mine today also. Now I can play Batman vs Superman in 4K HDR, without it skipping.
post #808 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Watching the Roku Ultra WITH HDR content AND with CMD on low or high? If you have Netflix, test playing and stopping hdr content like Luke Cage. And going back and forth from playing hdr content and the Roku home screen.
post #809 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Does that mean no eshift as well? If so, Javs will be very disappointed in you.
Javs likes this.
post #810 of 5034 Old 02-23-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Does that mean no eshift as well? If so, Javs will be very disappointed in you.

Already told him.

UHD looks flat he says

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page