Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3468Likes

post #661 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
in a few weeks I have an installer coming to do some stuff. including installing a X570R, screen etc. Since my experience with projectors is zero, just wondering if there is anything I should have him do for optimum performance. Settings for HDR?
I have the sony 4k player, so is there anything that needs to be set on the projector to get the best possible picture for 4K UHD blu-rays. I Know he is installing celerity cable too. basically my viewing will be UHD blu-rays and streaming with Roku. Any info appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
in a few weeks I have an installer coming to do some stuff. including installing a X570R, screen etc. Since my experience with projectors is zero, just wondering if there is anything I should have him do for optimum performance. Settings for HDR?
I have the sony 4k player, so is there anything that needs to be set on the projector to get the best possible picture for 4K UHD blu-rays. I Know he is installing celerity cable too. basically my viewing will be UHD blu-rays and streaming with Roku. Any info appreciated.
I would be worried about have an installer make any changes to the settings after hearing about some of the stories on here.
post #663 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
I would be worried about have an installer make any changes to the settings after hearing about some of the stories on here.
so basically keep settings from out of the box then, until I can get a proper calibrator to look at it? Not saying he can't. Installer does a lot of high-end stuff in the area- so I am assuming he knows his stuff. He has done some pretty nice home theaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so basically keep settings from out of the box then, until I can get a proper calibrator to look at it? Not saying he can't. Installer does a lot of high-end stuff in the area- so I am assuming he knows his stuff. He has done some pretty nice home theaters.
I would just try the out of the box settings and see what you think. He won't be able to do much without test equipment and the out of the box settings are pretty good. I just had mine calibrated last week and the biggest difference was with HDR material and that will depend greatly on your setup and screen size. JVC even has a screen correction setting that lets you put in a number and it adjust the projector to your screen. Might want to ask your installer about that. If he is good I'm sure you will be ok, and some of the choices are personal choice anyways.
post #665 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@flyinmunky99 @jbn008 @Javs @Bluescale @Craig Peer

Just heard back from JVC and they said the 5 setting is no added processing. Edited email below.

Me: On the enhance factory setting, does the 5 setting add any enhancement or sharpness to the image? Just wondering because 0 would seem to be the neutral setting, but movies look blurry at that setting.

JVC: Shane,

The enhancement at 5 or midrange is no added processing.
post #666 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would just try the out of the box settings and see what you think. He won't be able to do much without test equipment and the out of the box settings are pretty good. I just had mine calibrated last week and the biggest difference was with HDR material and that will depend greatly on your setup and screen size. JVC even has a screen correction setting that lets you put in a number and it adjust the projector to your screen. Might want to ask your installer about that. If he is good I'm sure you will be ok, and some of the choices are personal choice anyways.
thank you so much. valuable information about the screen settings. This is stuff i would never know. trying to put together a list of questions for him when he gets here. this will be on the list. thanks
Buddylee123 likes this.
post #667 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 491 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked: 6637
Quote:

Just heard back from JVC and they said the 5 setting is no added processing. Edited email below.

Me: On the enhance factory setting, does the 5 setting add any enhancement or sharpness to the image? Just wondering because 0 would seem to be the neutral setting, but movies look blurry at that setting.

I am sorry but that's 100% bollocks. Your JVC contact is wrong.

I had a look at this in depth the other day, even 3 is too much processing.

0 is off.
Bluescale likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #668 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I am sorry but that's 100% bollocks. Your JVC contact is wrong.

I had a look at this in depth the other day, even 3 is too much processing.

0 is off.
Could be, just passing the info along.
post #669 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Could be, just passing the info along.
Thanks Buddy for the feedback, i appreciate it either way
post #670 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Thank you for bringing this up, because I couldn't remember which thread this conversation happened in. Unfortunately, your JVC contact is full of crap. His statement is demonstrably false. If you put up the AVS709 sharpness pattern, once you hit 4, you can actually see movement on the screen as the pixels start twitching. You have to stand close to the screen, but focus should be done from close to the screen. If I remember correctly, it's most evident in the black field in the middle with the dots.
post #671 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't trust the YouTube version of the pattern, since YouTube does plenty of compression anyway, but this is the pattern I'm referring to:

You can get the entire disc of test patterns for free on this forum. Just search for AVS709, and you'll find the thread. There are a number of great patterns for setting up your projector to Rec709 standards (i.e., blu ray and HDTV standards). Even if you don't have the means to do measure grayscale and color, it'll help you set black and white point, as well as sharpness. Can't beat that for free.
post #672 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
I wouldn't trust the YouTube version of the pattern, since YouTube does plenty of compression anyway, but this is the pattern I'm referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrCE9p1GI

You can get the entire disc of test patterns for free on this forum. Just search for AVS709, and you'll find the thread. There are a number of great patterns for setting up your projector to Rec709 standards (i.e., blu ray and HDTV standards). Even if you don't have the means to do measure grayscale and color, it'll help you set black and white point, as well as sharpness. Can't beat that for free.
It's a good disc. Still use mine a lot. It, a free copy of HCFR and an inexpensive id3 meter taught me how to calibrate.
Bluescale likes this.
post #673 of 2678 Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 491 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked: 6637
Quote:
Thank you for bringing this up, because I couldn't remember which thread this conversation happened in. Unfortunately, your JVC contact is full of crap. His statement is demonstrably false. If you put up the AVS709 sharpness pattern, once you hit 4, you can actually see movement on the screen as the pixels start twitching. You have to stand close to the screen, but focus should be done from close to the screen. If I remember correctly, it's most evident in the black field in the middle with the dots.
Yep also stands out like dogs nuts on highly detailed textures like faces and woven clothing or some such...

I even had a look at this last night, 2 is OK, 3 is pushing it.

Enhance 2 and Clear Black Low are permanent settings on my rig, even with MadVR doing its thing.
Bluescale likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #674 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrCE9p1GI

Thanks for this, I will definitely be getting a copy.
Bluescale likes this.
post #675 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Wow. I just tried the Screen Adjust setting on the JVC. I'm very impressed!

I found my screen here and entered the number into the projector:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/projector/screen/

Previously when calibrating I really had to crank down the blue gain in the default 6500k color temperature setting when taking readings off the screen. It was -14. Now after entering proper screen number it's pretty much dead on at defaults.

Very cool.
So should the number be entered before making any other adjustments? What does it actually change, and whatever it does change are you able to see within the menu that those settings were changed?

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #676 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 12547 Post(s)
Liked: 10167
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
So should the number be entered before making any other adjustments? What does it actually change, and whatever it does change are you able to see within the menu that those settings were changed?
Make the change before making any adjustment to the image and no, you will not see the changes made.
post #677 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBJamon View Post
I performed the firmware update, and tried to get my PS4 Pro working through my Marantz after that. I thought it has actually worked, as it lasted as much as 30 seconds before flickering (it was <10 seconds before), but alas it was not meant to be.

But I highly do recommend this firmware update anyway - the signal lock and everything is much more stable than before! I went through many iterations of cable swaps like before, and the projector worked flawlessly (other than the blinking issue to begin with, of course). Good stuff! I bought the StarTech serial to null modem adapter FTDI USB chip:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked perfectly.
Must that part be used to perform the firmware update? There's not a way to do a firmware update from the menu via the internet? Maybe I'm not understanding what the purpose of the cord is.

post #678 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Must that part be used to perform the firmware update? There's not a way to do a firmware update from the menu via the internet? Maybe I'm not understanding what the purpose of the cord is.
Amazingly yes lol, I have had the lockup 4 times at least but haven’t updated because of this.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #679 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
It is a serial RS232 cable, and you have to connect it to the back. The process isn't all that different than older network devices from the 90s. Yes it's a bit archaic, but not that bad. But if you aren't technical enough to know what a RS232 cable is, or null modem, you may want to get help from an oldschool computer buddy.
Sweetmeat likes this.

Spoiler!
post #680 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6993 Post(s)
Liked: 8287
Quote:
Amazingly yes lol, I have had the lockup 4 times at least but haven’t updated because of this.
It's not that hard to do !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #681 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
It is a serial RS232 cable, and you have to connect it to the back. The process isn't all that different than older network devices from the 90s. Yes it's a bit archaic, but not that bad. But if you aren't technical enough to know what a RS232 cable is, or null modem, you may want to get help from an oldschool computer buddy.

Thanks. I knew it was a RS232 cable, but I wasn't sure why you were using that for updating the firmware. I thought I saw an Ethernet port in a picture of the projector, so I assumed the projector's firmware could be updated that way, or via wireless (but I wasn't sure if this projector even had a wireless radio, and now I know).

That's too bad that this requires the RS232 cable as I don't have one sitting around. In the past I never updated anything when it required that cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #682 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
thank you so much. valuable information about the screen settings. This is stuff i would never know. trying to put together a list of questions for him when he gets here. this will be on the list. thanks

I'll be in the same boat soonish, could you post your list of questions once you've compiled them pls?

post #683 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Firmware updates are a pain. You have to have a specific cable and a specific RS232 to USB converter. This is why we do these for our customers, before shipping the projector. Unless of course the customer does not want us to do so. Also, if not done correctly, you can brick your projector.
post #684 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
RS232 null modem cross cable. Also need one of the following: Tripp Lite Keyspan (model#: USA-19HS) & Staples USB-Serial
Adapter (Item: 837560)
post #685 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Personally I didn't miss the Darbee on the 420 due to its natural sharpness.
Darbee does not work with 4K anyway right?
post #686 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Darbee does not work with 4K anyway right?
Correct. At least mine doesn't

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #687 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread

I got my RS420 installed tonight and started watching Jack Reacher - Never Go Back on a UHD Blu-Ray.

I am trying to verify if my current 35' Active HDMI will work in the most demanding scenarios, but I'm not 100% sure how to verify.

The disc says it has HDR and appears to play fine.

Do these screens prove it works fine with an UHD disc and HDR?

Last edited by Sweetmeat; 05-04-2017 at 09:40 PM.
post #688 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got my RS420 installed tonight and started watching Jack Reacher - Never Go Back on a UHD Blu-Ray.

I am trying to verify if my current 35' Active HDMI will work in the most demanding scenarios, but I'm not 100% sure how to verify.

The disc says it has HDR and appears to play fine.

Do these screens prove it works fine with an UHD disc and HDR?
Yes. The last image shows that the projector is getting an HDR signal from the source.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #689 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. The last image shows that the projector is getting an HDR signal from the source.

Awesome, thanks for the information. So the Info screen shows the input signal then. What is Color Space YUV and shouldn't I see something like 4:4:4?

post #690 of 2678 Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the information. So the Info screen shows the input signal then. What is Color Space YUV and shouldn't I see something like 4:4:4?
YUV can be either 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 (or 4:2:0, for that matter). Basically you got 3 channels there, Luminance, Color Blue, and Color Red. That's why you'll often see YUV referred to YCbCr. So, while the last screenshot doesn't tell us whether you're getting a 4:4:4 signal, the second screenshot shows that the input colorspace is YCbCr 4:4:4. I don't know if it auto selected that, or if you manually selected it. On my projector I have it set to Auto, and let the JVC figure it out.

Here's a simple primer that discusses color subsampling, and explains 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0.

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/201...what_is_4.html

Keep in mind, while 4:4:4 is technically the best, the information on that UHD disc is stored as 4:2:0.
Sweetmeat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page