Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3462Likes

post #61 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6315 Post(s)
Liked: 6320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
No such thing as a perfect product that's for sure....
I certainly don't mean to belittle those that find it distracting because we all have things that bother us...I mean I'm still obsessing over the motion settings having come from a Sony...But to ME the banding with CMD is a 'first world problem'. But I'm glad it was discussed with examples provided so I could decide if it was a trade off I'm willing to make.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #63 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Regarding banding...

I can't remember what thread mentioned it but someone posted that a good test was the finale of Skyfall with all the fire in the background. It was even mentioned that toggling CMD when paused made it very apparent...You didn't have to watch it in motion.

So I ran that test. And yes I can see it. But frankly it's very subtle IMO.

Of course it should be said that my screen isn't completely uniform and that is evident with sky pans etc so maybe I'm just used to a similar artifact.
All HT problems are first world problems. Having said that, like any video related issue its subjective how big of an issue it is depending on who you ask. Thanks for confirming you see it though and hopefully this can be fixed, preferably with a FW update (wishful thinking probably).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Noob question. My 420 is installed on a shelf and I have maxed out the shift range. Can I raise the back of the projector up to lower the image or do I need to keep it level so no keystone adjustment is needed?
post #65 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Noob question. My 420 is installed on a shelf and I have maxed out the shift range. Can I raise the back of the projector up to lower the image or do I need to keep it level so no keystone adjustment is needed?
keystone will always be recommended to not be used as it can effect image quality. It should be the last option really.
post #66 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
keystone will always be recommended to not be used as it can effect image quality. It should be the last option really.
Ya I don't want to use keystone, was just wondering if raising the back of the projector to get my image lower would make the use of keystone necessary. This is my first time installing a projector correctly.
post #67 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My (very) mini review...I got my 420 installed over the weekend with a little trouble and have about 7 hours on the bulb now. The trouble started when no picture was presented even when I was sending 1080i to the projector, assumed I needed a new HDMI run and something with the HDCP 2.2 in the AVR and the existing HMDI run was to blame. No problems with that cable and the 4910. I needed a 24 footer that had to be run in the wall. The cable came from BestBuy, paid to much, but wasn't about to wait the rest of the weekend and early next week for something from amazon. I wanted that bad boy up and running.
Tested the new cable and I was good to go and got it run in the wall. I'm moving from a 4910. First reaction was WOW, this projector is much brighter than my 4910, even in low lamp auto 2 and iris set -15. I then started to notice, it appears a little sharper, at least to my eye, must be the eShift 4 compared to the 4910's eShift 3, nice change. I played some Infamous First Light on PS4 Pro, very cool looking HDR with the neon lights. Then played some Rise of the Tomb Raider...no HDR, but supports 4k resolution, very sharp looking. Playing games on a 4910 was OK, I got used to the lag...The low lag mode is a dramatic difference on the 420, and is now my favorite feature of the new projector....worlds better. I watched The Accountant in 4k HDR Blu Ray, was not that impressed. Maybe not that great of a 4k example. Any recommendations? Highlights were great, black level was raised too much. JVC just needs to get the DI working with HDR. 1080p looks great and again, appears sharper. Overall I'm enjoying the projector.
jorgebetancourt likes this.
post #68 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomet View Post
BMac1203 - are you using this projector with an ALR screen? I have a Dark Energy Abyss 0.9 ALR screen on its way and am really torn trying to decide between the Epson 5040 and this JVC RS420. Only concern about the JVC is the lower lumen output on this screen.
Currently projecting onto BOC from Joanne's w/black felt tape edge from Carl's (see attached pic of my DIY 92" screen).

I'm used to a hand me down Optoma HD180 w/~400hr on the bulb, which is supposedly 1700 lumens, but I doubt that.

I saw the Epson 6040 & JVC RS400 side-by-side and the Epson is definitely a bit brighter, but from what I understand once they're calibrated it's a little dimmer?

I preferred the image from the JVC at the store - then went home and purchased the 2017 model
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	1967673  

Media Room: JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Sony UBP-X800, Klipsch RF-7ii fronts, RC-64ii center, RS-62ii x2 surrounds && RS-41ii x2 backs, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2 subs, Micca M-8C heights, ATV 4K

Living Room: 65" Sony XBR65X900E; Sonos Playbase
post #69 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
All HT problems are first world problems. Having said that, like any video related issue its subjective how big of an issue it is depending on who you ask. Thanks for confirming you see it though and hopefully this can be fixed, preferably with a FW update (wishful thinking probably).
The plot thickens. My wife and I just watched The Arrival (via Blu-ray instead of 4K due to audio sync issues on the Oppo..It's going back tomorrow via an RMA) and the banding was very evident in that film. So I may be back to getting used to the poor native motion resolution with all the smoothing enhancements turned off. Which is a bit of a shame because I like a touch of smoothing. I may need to revisit ripping my Blu-ray collection and using SVP via a HTPC to get around the CMD limitations. I also don't expect a fix from JVC. What a PITA.
post #70 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Toe

Quote:
The plot thickens. My wife and I just watched The Arrival (via Blu-ray instead of 4K due to audio sync issues on the Oppo..It's going back tomorrow via an RMA) and the banding was very evident in that film. So I may be back to getting used to the poor native motion resolution with all the smoothing enhancements turned off. Which is a bit of a shame because I like a touch of smoothing. I may need to revisit ripping my Blu-ray collection and using SVP via a HTPC to get around the CMD limitations. I also don't expect a fix from JVC. What a PITA.
This echoes my experience so far as well and it stinks because you just don't know how often the banding will pop up for any given film. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I watched Lego movie all the way through Fri night and the banding popped up enough to put a damper on the experience and next watch I will definitely be turning CMD off which is a shame because I really like the added smoothness this brings to the motion (for animated movies and 3d).

On the flip side I watched Lichtmond 1 in 3d Sun and didn't see banding once and it was excellent. Problem is you just never know until you try it.

Really hoping for a fix, but not holding my breath of course.
post #71 of 2645 Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
This echoes my experience so far as well and it stinks because you just don't know how often the banding will pop up for any given film. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I watched Lego movie all the way through Fri night and the banding popped up enough to put a damper on the experience and next watch I will definitely be turning CMD off which is a shame because I really like the added smoothness this brings to the motion.

On the flip side I watched Lichtmond 1 in 3d Sun and didn't see banding once and it was excellent. Problem is you just never know until you try it.

Really hoping for a fix, but not holding my breath of course.
I'm watching Elysium now (I actually like that movie and the space scenes look great on the JVC) with CMD on low and Motion Enhance entirely off (and if it matters EShift is back on unlike when we watched the film earlier). It's too early to tell for sure but my gut impression is that it lessens the banding. I'll have to test with The Arrival again but it's getting late so that might not happen until tomorrow. It could just be the difference in transfer quality drawing my eye. Elysium is a pretty vibrant film while the artistic choices in The Arrival don't exactly make it a demo disc.

Toe likes this.
post #72 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Regarding banding...

I can't remember what thread mentioned it but someone posted that a good test was the finale of Skyfall with all the fire in the background. It was even mentioned that toggling CMD when paused made it very apparent...You didn't have to watch it in motion.

So I ran that test. And yes I can see it. But frankly it's very subtle IMO.

Of course it should be said that my screen isn't completely uniform and that is evident with sky pans etc so maybe I'm just used to a similar artifact.
Do you think you could post some pics of both states (before and after CMD)? I know I'd really appreciate it as I was convinced this was the projector for me... after watching this thread for a week or so now, I'm not so sure.
post #73 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Do you think you could post some pics of both states (before and after CMD)? I know I'd really appreciate it as I was convinced this was the projector for me... after watching this thread for a week or so now, I'm not so sure.
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it would show up well in pictures. I'll see what I can do.

post #74 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it would show up well in pictures. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you...

Stupid question... but is there any chance the banding is due to the player or combination of the BD player and the projector?
post #75 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Toe

Quote:
Thank you...

Stupid question... but is there any chance the banding is due to the player or combination of the BD player and the projector?
No, the banding has been here since the models before the 400/500/600 from my reading. I have used the same player (Oppo 93) with 3 projectors (RS40, RS45 and benq 7000) prior to this with no CMD banding issues.
post #76 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you...

Certain combinations might mitigate it but I doubt hardware interaction causes it since quite a few reviews mention it.

I'm still conflicted about how I feel about it. Is it there under some circumstances? Yes. Should JVC try to get simple things like this corrected at this price point? Probably. But as far as artifacts go I've seen worse.

If the projector otherwise checks a lot of boxes I'd keep it on your short list.
post #77 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
If the projector otherwise checks a lot of boxes I'd keep it on your short list.
It certainly does... but is there anything more frustrating than watching a kick-ass movie only to have audio drop or frame stutter... let alone banding?

Appreciate the input!
post #78 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Toe

Quote:
Certain combinations might mitigate it but I doubt hardware interaction causes it since quite a few reviews mention it.

I'm still conflicted about how I feel about it. Is it there under some circumstances? Yes. Should JVC try to get simple things like this corrected at this price point? Probably. But as far as artifacts go I've seen worse.

There's no probably about it for me. This should absolutely be fixed and hopefully can be fixed with a FW update with these models. This is a step backward from the 45 and 40 that I owned which did not have banding, so why is it now there? Every time it pops up it takes me back to the 720p lcd projector vertical banding days with the Sanyo Z3 and Panasonic AE900

Last edited by Toe; 02-15-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #79 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back to investigating SVP on my HTPC. Just need to determine if all the effort is worth it.

post #80 of 2645 Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5228 Post(s)
Liked: 4760
Are these projectors 10-bit or 12-bit. I thought 12. The reported banding is surprising.

I would like to purchase a JVC but I am hoping for Dolby Vision support in the near future.
post #81 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Can anyone share their initial settings for normal viewing (not HDR)? I'm aware that every room and screen and even PJ are different Just looking for a decent starting point.

I've spent some time adjusting and I'm still crushing the blacks. It's great to have black blacks instead of gray, but I'm losing the detail.
post #82 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Set the iris to auto 2. That will help a lot.

post #83 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out my projector purchase. I haven't purchased anything yet but I thought I was going with the Epson 5040/6040 option but reading about all the issues I've included the 420.

My room isn't a bat cave the walls are painted matte grey and I've made a 2 foot overhang above the screen painted the wall cover (the ceiling for the rest of the room is textured white).

Light is controlled with blind (one window at the far end of the room) but this is a basement so not a ton of light.

So my question is can the new JVC 420 do well in this environment? Are most JVC guys watching in batcaves and the rest of us using "brighter" Epsons?

I'm in Canada so Epson jacks the price of their projectors here so the cost difference is very minimal.

Any thoughts?
post #84 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Can anyone share their initial settings for normal viewing (not HDR)? I'm aware that every room and screen and even PJ are different Just looking for a decent starting point.

I've spent some time adjusting and I'm still crushing the blacks. It's great to have black blacks instead of gray, but I'm losing the detail.
Right now I'm running clear black off, iris set at -8 and in auto 2 mode, I love it. This really helped when using the auto iris. Before I could see that the iris was moving but now it really looks smooth and I don't notice it. Also upped the contrast up to 2 and turned down the e-shift enhance from the factory 5 to 2. Turning down the e-shift enhance was one of the biggest improvements for me. Couldn't figure out why parts of the picture seemed so noisy no matter the signal and turning it down to 2 solved that problem.
post #85 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

So I ran a few more tests with CMD trying to reduce the banding. I also did a bit of research seeing if anyone had mentioned anything in the past.

I may have found some settings to mitigate it slightly. At least with 1080p Blu-ray. But I could as easily be imagining the improvement since it's so subtle of an effect.

Force your player to feed 4:4:4 color.
Turn EShift and MCP entirely off.
Turn Clear Black off.
Set CMD to Low
Set Motion Enhance to off (this may not matter).

Let me know what you think. A second opinion would be useful as this is starting to make me cross eyed.

I use Chapter one of Prometheus as a test. The banding is normally very evident on the aliens face as he drinks.
post #86 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So if CMD is not used at all, is vertical banding 100% gone?

How is native motion compared to a Epson 9300 (5040) native motion? I didnt like motion on the Epson.

All this banding talk has dampened my excitement for a 420 or 520.
post #87 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
So if CMD is not used at all, is vertical banding 100% gone?

How is native motion compared to a Epson 9300 (5040) native motion? I didnt like motion on the Epson.

All this banding talk has dampened my excitement for a 420 or 520.
Yes. No CMD no banding. I've never had an Epson 5040 but being 3 LCD I imagine it's NATIVE motion resolution is very similar.

I've had experience with cheaper Epson's and O didn't like their method of FI. Not sure if it's better on the higher end models.

post #88 of 2645 Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

So I haven't calibrated with a meter or anything but I'm really digging these settings with 1080p Blu-ray. Full light control room with dark walls, floor and ceiling. 14 foot throw and 130 inch 2.35:1 1.0 gain screen.

Picture Mode Natural.
Clear Black Off
Lamp Power Low
Auto 2 Lens Aperture
-8 Iris
Color Profile Standard
Color Temp Custom 1 6500k
Gamma Custom 1 Correction Value 2.3
Picture Tone, Dark and Bright Level All 0
MPC All off including E Shift
Blur Reduction: CMD Low all else off
Contrast etc at default

I like the motion with these settings and don't see any distracting banding.

Also as I mentioned my Sony Blu-ray is sending 1080p/24 in 4:4:4 color.
Ronman79 likes this.

Last edited by AMartin56; 02-16-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #89 of 2645 Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
So I got my new x570 setup and rocking. After a few strange issues with my OPPO 203, everything is great now.
I have to admit, the low lag mode works awesome! I tried out some destiny and NHL 17, not noticeable at all! Low lag mode doesn't seem to change the PQ either.

PQ is the same as my x550 bit the extra features were worth the upgrade for me! All in one JVC.... Who would have thunk it! Lol
Morning,
Sorry to hack this thread, but I have not found a dedicated thread for the JVC 550RB so if I could ask some setup questions, that woudl be great!

I have the DLA-X550RB JVC projector, Denon AVR-X4300H, Samsung UBD-K8500 blu ray, and Bell 9400 Sat receiver (in Canada eh...!)
I am using Monster Black Platinum Ultra HD HDMI cords ( 35 ft to projector, 5 ft lengths for Sat and Blu Ray player.)
All connections go thru my receiver for output to the projector.

I have upgraded my firm ware for the projector to "take care of HDMI connection issues"

When playing a blu ray movie, the sound and video are great. The projector does a good job of E shifting the 1080 P source to
4K and I am happy with it.

The issue is with playing 4K movies.

The colour is "washed" out and not brilliant at all. The picture is view able, but not nearly as brilliant and accurate as the standard blu ray copy of the same movie. (I have tried several different movies with the same outcome)

At JVC recommendation, I changed the HDR gamma levels, But the results are the same.

Any help in getting the 4k movies to work and the picture to be "wow....amazing" would be appreciated.

Is there an adjustment.setting on the Samsung or projector that I am missing??
Peter
post #90 of 2645 Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksop View Post
Morning,
Sorry to hack this thread, but I have not found a dedicated thread for the JVC 550RB so if I could ask some setup questions, that woudl be great!

Is there an adjustment.setting on the Samsung or projector that I am missing??
Peter
I sent you a PM that might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page