Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3468Likes

post #1651 of 2678 Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
I just set up my LG UP970 to view my 1st HDR video ( Fate of the Furious.) I am using HDMI 1 on the 970 for video & HDMI 2 for audio only. I use an A-lens for 1080p material with a Lumagen XD vp. I bypass the XD for HDR & go directly to the 420 using its HDMI 2 port. The picture is fine, but the anamorphic stretch feature on the 420 has gone gray & is unavailable. So I am left to use zoom on my 2.35 screen. It's workable, but I'd rather use the anamorphic feature & use the lens stretch as it works with the Lumagen. Anyone know why the anamorphic feature is not available for HDR or am I doing something wrong?
Many people, including myself are scratching our heads on this 'greyed out' anamorphic feature as well...What's the point of having the control, but unable to use it??? My work-around was through my Oppo 203 player that has the 21:9 feature in it...(Or whatever setting that is in the aspect menu)....My Ol' JVC RS20 can switch both aspect and anamorphic stretch/squeeze without flinching.,..ALL THE TIME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2678 Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I have a few pairs of Samsung SSG3100GB glasses from a 2012ish Samsung Plasma. Is there any chance that these will work with an RS420?
There is an excellent chance they will work on the 420. Right now I have two pairs of XPand 3D glasses, and I'm borrowing a samsung pair, similar to yours...they all work on the Xpand 3D emitter that is plugged into my X570 (RS420). Just make sure they are active shutter, not passive ...
limbery likes this.
post #1653 of 2678 Old 01-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
There is an excellent chance they will work on the 420. Right now I have two pairs of XPand 3D glasses, and I'm borrowing a samsung pair, similar to yours...they all work on the Xpand 3D emitter that is plugged into my X570 (RS420). Just make sure they are active shutter, not passive ...

Thanks. That would be great. I believe the Samsung glasses were Bluetooth. The JVC only mentions RF, not Bluetooth, and even though I could see where Bluetooth is technically RF, I would have thought they would have just called it Bluetooth if that’s what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 2678 Old 01-07-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
Thanks. That would be great. I believe the Samsung glasses were Bluetooth. The JVC only mentions RF, not Bluetooth, and even though I could see where Bluetooth is technically RF, I would have thought they would have just called it Bluetooth if that’s what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was kinda confused on the whole 'bluetooth' thing as well...But both the Samsung and the Xpands work exactly the same way. I'm a 3D newb of sorts, but I got my X570 ROCKIN THE 3D...It's quite impressive, especially since this projector is so bright and vivid
post #1655 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Many people, including myself are scratching our heads on this 'greyed out' anamorphic feature as well...What's the point of having the control, but unable to use it??? My work-around was through my Oppo 203 player that has the 21:9 feature in it...(Or whatever setting that is in the aspect menu)....My Ol' JVC RS20 can switch both aspect and anamorphic stretch/squeeze without flinching.,..ALL THE TIME.
I submitted the query to JVC's website. It appears that a CSR passed it on to an engineer. Don't know if I'll hear back or not.
post #1656 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked up an RS420 last year and love it.

Over the holidays I tried some HDR gaming on my Playstation 4 (non-pro), but as soon as the PS4 switches to HDR, the picture gets tinted pink. I've been using my PS4 perfectly with the projector for awhile, but never had HDR on.

I'm assuming it's some kinda of issue with color space conversion? My PS4 only output RGB, where as the PS4 Pro can output YUV 4:2:0. I've fiddled with seemingly every option on the PS4 and projector and I'm at a loss for trying to fix.

For testing purposes, I have the PS4 connected directly to the projector, using the same HDMI cable I use with my Oppo 203 UHD.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8348.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	2342622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	599.2 KB
ID:	2342624  
post #1657 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalders View Post

Over the holidays I tried some HDR gaming on my Playstation 4 (non-pro), but as soon as the PS4 switches to HDR, the picture gets tinted pink. I've been using my PS4 perfectly with the projector for awhile, but never had HDR on.

I'm assuming it's some kinda of issue with color space conversion? My PS4 only output RGB, where as the PS4 Pro can output YUV 4:2:0. I've fiddled with seemingly every option on the PS4 and projector and I'm at a loss for trying to fix.

For testing purposes, I have the PS4 connected directly to the projector, using the same HDMI cable I use with my Oppo 203 UHD.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The only thing I can think of is to make sure that your 420 is setup to automatically detect the right kind of signal. I think the options are Auto, 422, and RGB?

I have not done Xbox One gaming on my projector, but I have only used it to play 4K UHD Blu-ray discs with HDR. I don't get any issues. And that's how I have my projector configured.

Hopefully that helps.

-T
post #1658 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12536 Post(s)
Liked: 10150
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
So I got my new RS420 all set up and stumbled upon a post that described a 4K gaming bug that got introduced into these JVC units when they fixed some other issue related to CMD (which I do not care for). I did not pay much attention but noticed some ghosting in movies and more with a PS4 game. Did some research on the CMD thread (last few pages). Essentially, if low latency and eshift are both turned on, then these units with the latest firmware display ghosting. It is actually not a 4K or a gaming bug, but applies to all content - just need eshift and low latency turned on.

I was a bit skeptical at first, knowing how finicky people on this forum are about PQ, and was scratching my head on the best content to test this. It turns out all I had to do was turn on ESPN on my Dish receiver and look at the ticker at the bottom. I saw the text clear and sharp when still but when the ticker started crawling it was so blurry it was unreadable. I then fired up the JVC menu and turned low latency off. Immediately the ticker cleared up. Of course, then I saw a couple of game highlights and it was obvious.

To me the issue is very obvious and noticeably bad. It is also completely unacceptable. Not sure what the next steps are or if a firmware fix is available.
Not all of them.
post #1659 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I bought my unit from Craig at AV Science. Contacted him and he gave me the info. He said the fix has been applied by JVC to all in stock units now.
Quote:
Although it is still a mystery to me why firmware is not user updateable on JVC projectors. Looks like they don't use flashable EPROM? That sounds incredible for 2018!
The correction is made to subsystems, so the projector has to be taken apart to get to these subsystems. So this will never be a user firmware update. As to the fix for all instock, that will not apply to any RS420 that a dealer may happen to have in stock. But you are correct, in there being projectors with CMD fix that do not have an issue with E-shift and low lag mode engaged.
post #1660 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Vertical stretch works for 4K content that is 24P or 30P, but it does not work for 50P or 60P content. That is why it is greyed out. Sounds like you are wanting to do vertical stretch for streamed content at 60P. If using a Roku or Apple TV, set it up so that the movies are played at 24P and you will be able to do vertical stretch.
post #1661 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The correction is made to subsystems, so the projector has to be taken apart to get to these subsystems. So this will never be a user firmware update. As to the fix for all instock, that will not apply to any RS420 that a dealer may happen to have in stock. But you are correct, in there being projectors with CMD fix that do not have an issue with E-shift and low lag mode engaged.
Great to hear! How is JVC going to handle units already in the field as far as a fix goes for the eshift/low latency bug?
post #1662 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
I submitted the query to JVC's website. It appears that a CSR passed it on to an engineer. Don't know if I'll hear back or not.
See post 1660 for the answer.
post #1663 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Vertical stretch works for 4K content that is 24P or 30P, but it does not work for 50P or 60P content. That is why it is greyed out. Sounds like you are wanting to do vertical stretch for streamed content at 60P. If using a Roku or Apple TV, set it up so that the movies are played at 24P and you will be able to do vertical stretch.
Hey Mike...This doesn't make much sense to me, as I thought frame-rate is not a direct relation to the vertical stretch/anamorphic feature??? I just don't get it, especially when my old RS20 can switch/stretch/squeeze in all kinds of frame-rates....Why is this a limitation in the first place? Limitation with the video processor in the JVC? I'm just curious...
post #1664 of 2678 Old 01-08-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalders View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I thought I'd chime in here, as I was just browsing on the RS440 thread...on page 3, I found this...and this should apply to your situation I would assume....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauline View Post
I tried to play COD WWII via PS4. The image changed to a bright pink which I presume happened again because my HDMI cable from my processor to my projector needs to be replaced....arghh I was so excited to try it out.
I had the same issue with my Xbox One X, connected as follows...

Xbox > Denon AVR 1913 > X590

I had to change my colour depth from 36bit to 8bit on the Xbox...that cleared up the issue. HDMI cable does support the higher bit rates AVR seems not to like them.

Now time for an AVR upgrade.

HOPE THAT SHEDS LIGHT ON YOUR ISSUE
post #1665 of 2678 Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings,

I’m having an annoying issue with the Netflix menu that I can’t solve. Every time a preview trailer starts, it triggers some setting change in the projector resulting in a black screen and a long lag before I have an image again. This basically makes the menu unusable for browsing. I would not be opposed to turning off the trailers if anyone knows how to do that.

I run the Netflix app on the Sony X800 UHD player and it performs perfectly outside of the menu issue.

Looking forward to any thoughts!
post #1666 of 2678 Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCardigan View Post
Greetings,

I’m having an annoying issue with the Netflix menu that I can’t solve. Every time a preview trailer starts, it triggers some setting change in the projector resulting in a black screen and a long lag before I have an image again. This basically makes the menu unusable for browsing. I would not be opposed to turning off the trailers if anyone knows how to do that.

I run the Netflix app on the Sony X800 UHD player and it performs perfectly outside of the menu issue.

Looking forward to any thoughts!
On my Netflix, once a couple of trailers have ran, I get a jerky picture and delay while moving through the menu. this lasts until I select a program and start watching it
post #1667 of 2678 Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For those having HDMI issues:
Ruipro 15m optical cable from Denon avr x4300h to the jvc dla x5500 worked for me up to 4k/60Hz HDR (10bit). Prior active cable didnt cut it. It could just do 1080.
From desktop to reciewer i now use Supra 3m cable. Prior certified Omars 3m cable didnt cut it at all even for for 8 bit colors. Other 2m no name cable could do a flaky 8bit 4k/60 connection - not usable at all. But the non certified Supra does its job.
post #1668 of 2678 Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I find the JVC manual a little confusing. I'm trying to find the best method to save and recall settings with the least number of button presses so I can program my Harmony remote.

I want to have one setting for TV/movies, with the appropriate settings for picture, MPC, CMD, etc, and then have another one for gaming, etc. What is the best way to accomplish that? Would I set my gaming settings in the Natural picture mode, then my TV/movie settings in Cinema mode, and then just push the "Natural" and "Cinema" buttons to jump between them?
post #1669 of 2678 Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Just watched Chefs table at Netflix hdr and is floored. Wow.

On a 108 inch screensize i set lamp mode down to low and tone up 4 and black up 2 and brightness up 2. Went fine. Used 20 sec for the settings so they can probably be better. The slight white burnout in a few spots sometimes didnt mean a single thing for the actual experience. Out the box on lamp auto on high was just perfect for this 108 on a plain white painted wall but noise is to intrusive for my liking.
I guess you have to ajust for much content but it seems netflix got it right.
What this pj needs is better brightness at more tollerable levels. Like imo max 3db above the low level now. But hey went good on this 108 size. Obviously screensize cant be big and ambient light should be next to zero.

I am 100% sold on hdr. Best thing ever. Nice saturated colors in spades. And tons of dynamics. Better than the move from 480 to 720p.
limbery likes this.
post #1670 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Signal Loss when AV Receiver Switches Source

I am hoping someone else has experienced this issue and has a solution.

I thought the first time it happened it was a fluke, but it has happened three times now on consecutive days. When switching the source on the AV receiver (Denon AVRX4300H) for example from BluRay to Satellite, the video becomes unwatchable. The JVC goes through the normal ~10sec HDMI sync, and then the image goes mostly black with very high frequency strobing color bar flashes, it almost hurts to look at. The only solution is to turn off the JVC Projector and turn back on.

When this occurs, I have tried restarting all the peripheral components (satellite box, blu-ray player, AV receiver), I've tried switching HDMI inputs on the JVC Projector, and unplugging HDMI cable from all sources and re-plugging in. Those tests do not fix the display issue.

Projector is not quite 1 month old, and the issue just started this week.
post #1671 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshMPH View Post

I thought the first time it happened it was a fluke, but it has happened three times now on consecutive days. When switching the source on the AV receiver (Denon AVRX4300H) for example from BluRay to Satellite, the video becomes unwatchable. The JVC goes through the normal ~10sec HDMI sync, and then the image goes mostly black with very high frequency strobing color bar flashes, it almost hurts to look at. The only solution is to turn off the JVC Projector and turn back on.

When this occurs, I have tried restarting all the peripheral components (satellite box, blu-ray player, AV receiver), I've tried switching HDMI inputs on the JVC Projector, and unplugging HDMI cable from all sources and re-plugging in. Those tests do not fix the display issue.

Yea I feel you, I got the exact same problem. I've been having it since I got the projector back in march. I think a few other members reported something similar also.
It happend to me when I change source, but also when I change resolution and or refresh rate on my HTPC.

By the way your projector should still be responding to controller command(so you can at least do a real power off cycle) but if you blindly put the projector in low lag mode(take a bit of practice), your image should be back(but this particular resoltion/refresh rate combo is gone until you power off with low lag mode off)

I've been able to pin point part of the problem : is the motion engine, if you put your projector in low lag mode it will not happend. I fugured it is probably the CMD engine that try to get data from a frame that just got cut of because of the signal change and it goes "boom". since this is a bug that happend randomly I have been having a hard time getting JVC to aknowledge it.

For now I've just decided to put the projector in low lag mode prior to a signal change et back off after. It is anoying to do, but this way I never got the issue anymore(exept when I forgot to switch it). This way I save my lamp life from multiple reboot in the same night.

If there was a way to reset it without a power down this will really be less of an issue...
MarshMPH likes this.

-Lunnar
"Tempo is everything, perfection unattainable..."
post #1672 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does it look like the attached image? In the image, I had those three colored bars across the screen but they scroll upward. They are not stationary.

-T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_211847_1515780063912.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2344468  
MarshMPH likes this.
post #1673 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Quote:

Does it look like the attached image? In the image, I had those three colored bars across the screen but they scroll upward. They are not stationary.

-T
Just a follow-up on my previous post, let me tell you what I did in order to get that image on the screen.

I purchased a new RuiPro 12m optical cable. Connected a 4K cable for my Xbox One S to my Onkyo rz920 AVR. Then I connected the optical cable from the AVR to the JVC rs420.

I went through the setup on the Xbox One S by setting the 4K capable setting and it successfully detected the JVC as being capable 4K 60 hertz 10-bit.

Then I wanted to see if the Xbox One S would output 12 bit 4K 60 hertz. The cable is supposed to support that. So and I toggled the bit depth to 12 bit on the Xbox 1s, it never successfully linked to the rs420... And the RS 420 displayed those colored scrolling bars anytime I sent it a 4K signal. And that includes the 4K signal at both 8 bit or 10 bit color.

In order to fix a problem, I had to cycle power on the projector.

I still have the original firmware and I have not had any fixes applied to this projector.

-T
post #1674 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunnar View Post
Yea I feel you, I got the exact same problem. I've been having it since I got the projector back in march. I think a few other members reported something similar also.
It happend to me when I change source, but also when I change resolution and or refresh rate on my HTPC.

By the way your projector should still be responding to controller command(so you can at least do a real power off cycle) but if you blindly put the projector in low lag mode(take a bit of practice), your image should be back(but this particular resoltion/refresh rate combo is gone until you power off with low lag mode off)

I've been able to pin point part of the problem : is the motion engine, if you put your projector in low lag mode it will not happend. I fugured it is probably the CMD engine that try to get data from a frame that just got cut of because of the signal change and it goes "boom". since this is a bug that happend randomly I have been having a hard time getting JVC to aknowledge it.

For now I've just decided to put the projector in low lag mode prior to a signal change et back off after. It is anoying to do, but this way I never got the issue anymore(exept when I forgot to switch it). This way I save my lamp life from multiple reboot in the same night.

If there was a way to reset it without a power down this will really be less of an issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

-T
T-Bone's example is exactly what we see - and yes the bars move and are sometimes vertical.

I will try to learn the low-lag steps to avoid power off resets. I cringe every time I have to turn on/off because I know it can't be good for the lamp.

I will capture an image on the next occurence so that additional documentation is available for JVC to *hopefully* pay attention to the issue.
post #1675 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I know its a mess to test but does it happen when the distance from the denon to the pj is very short eg 2 or 3 meters? I mean can it be a hdmi issue where the pj have trouble locking on the signal?
post #1676 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM

Had to make small panel ajustments to get picture sharp. In the order of 2 to 5 for both colors. Is it normal? And why is it so? Can lens shift cause it? Or is the pj just half bad out the box?
post #1677 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just another quick follow-up. This daggone projector is a mother effing lemon

I understand it has a issue that I experienced once or twice. When I first got the 420. I have not experienced the black screen and non-responsive power off for many months now. I tried updating the firmware, and I bought everything from Amazon, but for some reason there was always an error and I could not update the firmware.

I have experienced another issue and I experienced it a lot. If I power on my system and let's say I have my AVR connect the Xbox One S to the projector. That's fine and I could use my Xbox One S perfectly well. When I switch inputs on my AVR and then connect my home theater PC to the projector, my Denon X3100 sent the signal to the projector and I would get a black screen. Switching inputs back to the Xbox One S and I could see the Xbox One S image. I definitely waited long enough for the projected to sink the HDMI signal.

The same scenario above happens with my new AVR which is an Onkyo rz920. But the only difference is the JVC displays a blue screen instead of a black screen.

And if I turn my PC on first, and then later on try to switch the Xbox one s, I get a black screen when trying to see the Xbox One S picture.

The issue happens almost all the time when I try to switch inputs. Ordinarily it's not an issue because when I go power up my system it's either just to watch movies or play Xbox... and not to both.

I have the original firmware. Does the problem I explained above become fixed if I update to the latest firmware?

I know I can update the firmware and see if it fixes the problem. But as I've mentioned before, I could not update the firmware using the recommended equipment and my laptop. Perhaps if I had a PC with an a real serial output I would not have an issue.

-T
post #1678 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumme View Post
I know its a mess to test but does it happen when the distance from the denon to the pj is very short eg 2 or 3 meters? I mean can it be a hdmi issue where the pj have trouble locking on the signal?
I can attempt to test that, but I am doubtful of the HDMI handshake being the issue as I'm now using a Ruipro 10m (33ft) Fiber-HDMI cable. My copper "high speed" 35ft MonoPrice cable couldn't push any 4k content (regardless of chroma settings).
post #1679 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I can attempt to test that, but I am doubtful of the HDMI handshake being the issue as I'm now using a Ruipro 10m (33ft) Fiber-HDMI cable. My copper "high speed" 35ft MonoPrice cable couldn't push any 4k content (regardless of chroma settings).
Same ruipro stuff here but at 15m from a 4300h. Guess you are right. How about the connection to the reciewer? I had to change here too. Use supra now 3m.
Jd in the 4300 thread recommend to try different inputs on the denon as they can be different.
Yeaa. Hdmi 2.1 is comming... lol it will be the biggest mess ever.
post #1680 of 2678 Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumme View Post
Same ruipro stuff here but at 15m from a 4300h. Guess you are right. How about the connection to the reciewer? I had to change here too. Use supra now 3m.
Jd in the 4300 thread recommend to try different inputs on the denon as they can be different.
Yeaa. Hdmi 2.1 is comming... lol it will be the biggest mess ever.
My "home run" in the corner of my room for my AV gear is a passthrough. I'm direct cable from AVR to PJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page