Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3468Likes

post #1711 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Canceled my BenQ HT2550 pre-order from Amazon and instead ordered an RS-420 from Mike Garrett yesterday. BTW...if you're considering the RS-420 (or any other projector), definitely reach out to Mike. Not only will you get a good deal, but his support is unmatched. In this case, he even confirmed that the CMD fixes have been applied to his stock. Other (local) dealers I contacted weren't even aware of the well-known CMD/latency issues on the RS-420.

I'm looking forward to receiving it later this week and seeing the performance of this bad-boy compared to our BenQ W1070 that we're replacing.
coderguy and Mike Garrett like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
I'm looking forward to receiving it later this week and seeing the performance of this bad-boy compared to our BenQ W1070 that we're replacing.
Slaughterfest...
DRaven72 and Doc_Ox like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #1713 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
lol, Slaughterfest.
Too funny. And definitely expected. BTW...your advice on these threads when I originally considered the RS420 was very valuable, so it's much appreciated.

I'll be perusing this lengthy thread for bits of wisdom about this projector, so if you have anything specific (e.g., settings, etc.), please post. I'm sure others that are taking the plunge on this projector would benefit as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Too funny. And definitely expected. BTW...your advice on these threads when I originally considered the RS420 was very valuable, so it's much appreciated.

I'll be perusing this lengthy thread for bits of wisdom about this projector, so if you have anything specific (e.g., settings, etc.), please post. I'm sure others that are taking the plunge on this projector would benefit as well.
Sorry to make you spend extra money, but I think 90% of people that do the change, find that it is worth it. I think most people don't realize what they are missing.

Also the RS-520 vs. the RS-420 is not nearly (and I mean nearly) as much difference as between the contrast of a 420 and a Benq DLP. The 420 has 20x to 25x the native contrast of the Benq, whereas the RS-520 only has 2x to 3x the contrast of the RS-420, and that 2x - 3x is much harder to see because that difference is only seen primarily in total blackouts or an A/B comparison.

Coming from a Benq DLP to a JVC, you can see the difference in contrast on everything that is even starting to get dark (including evening type scenes), and the black bars are going to be way darker on the JVC when watching darker movies in 2.35.
Doc_Ox likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #1715 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Sorry to make you spend extra money, but I think 90% of people that do the change, find that it is worth it. I think most people don't realize what they are missing.

Also the RS-520 vs. the RS-420 is not nearly (and I mean nearly) as much difference as between the contrast of a 420 and a Benq DLP. The 420 has 20x to 25x the native contrast of the Benq, whereas the RS-520 only has 2x to 3x the contrast of the RS-420, and that 2x - 3x is much harder to see because that difference is only seen primarily in total blackouts or an A/B comparison.

Coming from a Benq DLP to a JVC, you can see the difference in contrast on everything that is even starting to get dark (including evening type scenes), and the black bars are going to be way darker on the JVC when watching darker movies in 2.35.
Agree but I have a scope screen and watching the football game last night I wished I had a masking system to cover the sides. I wonder if I can just build a pair of masking panels myself but not sure what material will be rigid yet light weight.
post #1716 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Agree but I have a scope screen and watching the football game last night I wished I had a masking system to cover the sides. I wonder if I can just build a pair of masking panels myself but not sure what material will be rigid yet light weight.
Check out the post by Zombie10k, he used magnets and panels.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54735385

post #1717 of 2678 Old 01-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Check out the post by Zombie10k, he used magnets and panels.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54735385
Very cool, exactly what I was looking for. The magnet is a great idea.
post #1718 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:

lol The budget actually wasn't the issue once I convinced myself that it's justifiable to spend that much on a projector. It's the fact that in order to cancel the HT2550 and get the RS-420, I had to promise the 'boss' that we would visit her (out of town) folks twice this coming summer for two different large family events.

Quote:

The contrast was actually one of the biggest selling points for going with the 420. Also, I'm hoping that even 1080p content, which still makes up a chunk of our viewing content, looks markedly better than what we're used to with the W1070. Is this the case?

Question...how much calibration will I need to do with the 420 out of the box? I don't have calibration hardware, only a Disney WOW Blu-ray calibration disc (don't laugh!), so I'm hoping I can put it in 'cinema' mode (or the JVC equivalent) and not be too far off. Assuming significant calibration is needed, does a list of recommended settings exist that could be used to start with, and then you only have to slightly fine tune it according to your specific environment for an optimal picture?
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #1719 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 AM

Calibration would mainly improve HDR, you'll have to decide if you wish to pay someone else or tackle the HDR gamma issues yourself. You can get a Spyder 5 for just over $100 and run the auto-calibration, I don't think it's that hard. Whether or not it actually improves the image by itself is hard to say.

Yes, 1080p content looks far better, the extra contrast of a JVC adds a new dimension to the image. It's like with Benq DLP's you have great bright scenes, but mid-level to low-level APL start to look a bit washed out. I still own BOTH a Benq and an older JVC.

I do not own this specific model of JVC, but calibration will probably only make a very mild improvement for most movies, it should be fairly accurate OOTB for Rec 709. It is important to get your gray scale neutralized though, you don't want color shifts there. You can check a gray scale pattern by eye to see if there is any obvious red or green shift anywhere, I mean just to check for a severe shift.

Calibration actually makes more difference for things like documentaries, the news, dramas, and stuff like that because the color balance is very neutral and it's easier to spot off skin tones in bright balanced lighting. The problem with most movies is it's harder to see a difference because the lighting is often not very balanced anyhow. So tiny differences are hard to see even in A/B...

For MOST Games, a calibration will not help at all, because game studios do not budget much (if anything) for color grading. Most of them use blending and matching palettes rather than actual grading, in other words they just want the color to match the rest of the game, they don't care about accuracy or hitting any specific point.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-23-2018 at 07:13 AM.
post #1720 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

In my family room setup I had an RS45 and an RS57. Had them stacked. I ran split source to them. Both projectors had very good convergence. Brightness matched, I was surprised at just how much better the image on the 57 was compared to the 45 and the biggest difference that I noticed was the contrast and black levels. A/B comparison was pretty obvious. I have also had an RS640 stacked with RS45. The difference is huge. Contrast, black level and sharpness. Not to mention the obvious difference in brightness, the 640 could do. I also compared the RS640 stacked with RS57, difference was still pretty big, but less so on the contrast. With the 640, it was more the sharpness and clarity. I used 1080P sources when comparing, except for the 57 and 640. With the 57 and 640, I also looked at some 4K sources, using an HD Fury Integral on the 57. I used a piece of cardboard to block off the lens, so instant switching from one to the other. I no longer have the RS45, but still have the RS57 and I plan to get another RS640.
post #1721 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
In my family room setup I had an RS45 and an RS57. Had them stacked. I ran split source to them. Both projectors had very good convergence. Brightness matched, I was surprised at just how much better the image on the 57 was compared to the 45 and the biggest difference that I noticed was the contrast and black levels. A/B comparison was pretty obvious. I have also had an RS640 stacked with RS45. The difference is huge. Contrast, black level and sharpness. Not to mention the obvious difference in brightness, the 640 could do. I also compared the RS640 stacked with RS57, difference was still pretty big, but less so on the contrast. With the 640, it was more the sharpness and clarity. I used 1080P sources when comparing, except for the 57 and 640. With the 57 and 640, I also looked at some 4K sources, using an HD Fury Integral on the 57. I used a piece of cardboard to block off the lens, so instant switching from one to the other. I no longer have the RS45, but still have the RS57 and I plan to get another RS640.
Sample variances distort our opinions, both mine and yours, so I'm not immune either.

I've measured contrast quite a bit higher on (1) RS-46 than another when I had 2 of them next to each other, and I know it was NOT my meter as I was using an almost $1000 sekonic, so it depends on the sample.

Since the RS-57 produces at max throw around 70,000:1 on/off before the DI, whereas the RS-45 at max throw produces around 25k:1 to 35k:1 depending on sample. That is only a doubling of the native contrast, that is certainly a difference and it can be seen in an A/B, but how huge that is --- a somewhat subjective opinion.

That is far less than the difference between most Sony's and even the low-end JVC.

The RS-57 definitely looks a bit darker than an RS-45, no doubt, but it also depends how bright you are watching the image to how easily you see it. When I opened up the aperture a bit, then yah, the RS-56 would easily beat the RS-46, no contest. When both apertures were closed and the PJ's were brightness matched (relatively), the difference wasn't huge, but was still there.

I agree in some budget cases, an RS-520/RS-540 is a good step up, but it's ALMOST hair splitting if someone is moving up from a DLP.

Because come on, we're still talking 2x to 3x increase vs. 20x to 30x...

Last edited by coderguy; 01-23-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #1722 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 AM

The last few JVC's I have seen, still haven't beat my JVC RS-45 for sharpness, the RS-400 I saw was at least the equal but perhaps sharper (nothing to A/B and bad lighting conditions).

I didn't have my RS-45 on me when I went to look at the RS-46's and the RS-56's, and the RS-67 and RS-65 (Which the RS-65 was so dim I couldn't compare anything). I think I checked an RS-57 as well, but at this point it's all becoming a blur because I looked at so many.

Here is what I've seen personally, YMMV...

I don't have enough SAMPLE SIZES to say this is TRUE across the board, but this is what I've seen...

Sharpness appears random to me thus far, whether the low-end JVC or high-end JVC is sharper is pot luck. Black levels are NOT totally random, but there is some randomness to it...

I have only seen (1) JVC from the new line, but around 8 from the old line (maybe 9-10, I forget).

The RS-20 had the worst sharpness, the RS-67 next, then the RS-46 and RS-56 being better, but still not perfect. The RS-46 and RS-56 (Edit - actually the RS-56 had some uniformity issue now I recall, but pixel delineation near the same), but the actual pixel delineation was still below my RS-45, it wasn't as defined (I attribute this to pot luck).

So what does that mean, not much, it's just sample variances.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-23-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #1723 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
The last few JVC's I have seen, still haven't beat my JVC RS-45 for sharpness, the RS-400 I saw was at least the equal but perhaps sharper (nothing to A/B and bad lighting conditions).

I didn't have my RS-45 on me when I went to look at the RS-46's and the RS-56's, and the RS-67 and RS-65 (Which the RS-65 was so dim I couldn't compare anything). I think I checked an RS-57 as well, but at this point it's all becoming a blur because I looked at so many.

Here is what I've seen personally, YMMV...

I don't have enough SAMPLE SIZES to say this is TRUE across the board, but this is what I've seen...

Sharpness appears random to me thus far, whether the low-end JVC or high-end JVC is sharper is pot luck. Black levels are NOT totally random, but there is some randomness to it...

I have only seen (1) JVC from the new line, but around 8 from the old line (maybe 9-10, I forget).

The RS-20 had the worst sharpness, the RS-67 next, then the RS-46 and RS-56 being better, but still not perfect. The RS-46 and RS-56 (Edit - actually the RS-56 had some uniformity issue now I recall, but pixel delineation near the same), but the actual pixel delineation was still below my RS-45, it wasn't as defined (I attribute this to pot luck).

So what does that mean, not much, it's just sample variances.
From what I have seen, starting with the RS400, 500 and 600 series, there was an improvement in sharpness over the earlier models. I also have an RS15, nearly same projector as the RS20, it is definitely not as sharp as any of the current JVC's. Still throws a decent image, but much softer. Watched the RS15 for a few hours last night.
post #1724 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
From what I have seen, starting with the RS400, 500 and 600 series, there was an improvement in sharpness over the earlier models. I also have an RS15, nearly same projector as the RS20, it is definitely not as sharp as any of the current JVC's. Still throws a decent image, but much softer. Watched the RS15 for a few hours last night.
Probably, the RS-400 pixel grid looked sharper than the RS-46 or RS-56 I saw, but the lens uniformity on the RS-46 was the same as the RS-400 (perfect on both samples). The difference was how defined the pixel grid itself looked, slight bump to the RS-400. I don't know if the RS-400 was better than my RS-45, because would have to A/B. The Rs-46 and RS-400 were at different places, and I saw them 6 hours apart, but that is to the best I could tell.

The problem is a few of the projectors I went to look at were B-stock models that this guy (whom I wont name) was intentionally trying to pawn off as 'floor models'. They weren't floor models, they were bad samples, and the only good samples well he was trying to get near retail for. I left pretty fast.

He had a good price on the RS-56, but it had a focus uniformity issue. That was the only reason I went, was to buy his RS-56, and of course I would have liked to have it over the RS-45, but I'm not buying a bad sample and taking a step back.

The sharpest projector I have ever seen remains the Mits hc8000, it was sharper than the Runco LS-5 (without an A/B) and the Benq w7000 / w1070. I did A/B the Mits against the Benq, the Benq fell short.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #1725 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Agreed - that is my experience too even with 1080p. I think the lens and video processing improved starting with the 2016 models with 4K emphasis.
post #1726 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM

Yah, I three-gree, but it's still not as sharp as some of those older DLP's that you could cut through butter.

The sharpness is more beneficial for 4k stuff, but at my seating distance (10-12' from 100"), and with my no longer perfect vision, it's just not going to help that much, if at all.

I don't do much 3d (average 2-4 movies per year), not enough to justify an upgrade. I rarely play games either (a few hours a year, maybe a bit more some years).

Give me laser or give me freedom...

I do gain a reduction of mercury in my blood if these old JVC lamps keep blowing up in my face.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-23-2018 at 11:18 AM.
post #1727 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 AM

No offense to anyone at all, but it seems sometimes in here that tiny differences are over-emphasized...

For instance, the difference in sharpness between a JVC RS-4xx,5xx,6xx is not NEARLY the same difference in sharpnes as between an old Sharp or even the Mits hc8000 and any JVC.

As per sharpness, no-one else has hardly noticed any improvement in the RS-6xx over the RS-5xx in the forums. On average, it seems to have been going the opposite direction (likely a coincidence).

I think the fact that several JVC LTD's showed up with bad convergence is near proof they haven't been QC'n these things on sharpness, I've always suspected they were NOT doing it. They do QC the panels, they have to.

I wish there were NOT a lottery, but I think there is no matter which JVC model you buy.

post #1728 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 11:18 AM

It would be nice to see an eshift + laser (along with good laser dimming) at a reasonable price for 2019.
post #1729 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
It would be nice to see an eshift + laser (along with good laser dimming) at a reasonable price for 2019.
Yes, please under $5k

I'm a huge fan of these JVC's, and I would never tell anyone the older JVC's look exactly the same, they don't. But whether or not an upgrade is worth it, totally depends on every person's unique situation.

Almost everyone should upgrade due to the LAMP LONGEVITY, just for that reason alone it's worth it. But, for me, I really am sick of lamp based projectors completely, I'd love to get rid of it and wait for a laser.

I have come VERY VERY close to upgrading, I was sweating with the phone in my hand

Then I keep thinking, oh how nice to never change another lamp out again, then I hang the phone up.

post #1730 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I upgraded to get 4k on Netflix so i got 18Mbit vs 6Mbit. That and hevc vs 264 makes a day. Lol.
As expected the 4k is not that interesting but the hdr container and aparently less agressive hdr mixing on the two series i have watched have given me a huge bonus experience. Though the german 4k non hdr series Dark was both extremely good and beautiful. So i guess its also a matter of making a good job.
HBO is boxed now. Swords and tits content with low bitrate. Man.
coderguy likes this.
post #1731 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumme View Post
I upgraded to get 4k on Netflix so i got 18Mbit vs 6Mbit. That and hevc vs 264 makes a day. Lol.
As expected the 4k is not that interesting but the hdr container and aparently less agressive hdr mixing on the two series i have watched have given me a huge bonus experience. Though the german 4k non hdr series Dark was both extremely good and beautiful. So i guess its also a matter of making a good job.
HBO is boxed now. Swords and tits content with low bitrate. Man.
4k will get better once they stop converting them and focus on the remastering techniques. The problem is a lot of these documentaries that look so incredible in '4k', also look so incredible at 1080p.
I've seen some of this new content at 1080p and you'd think you were watching 4k because of how well it was mastered.

Mastering techniques at this point are more important than resolution, even though resolution still matters (more if you sit closer).

The biggest beneficiaries for 4k are gamers, for sure, but you almost need NATIVE 4k for the full benefit with that.

post #1732 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
4k will get better once they stop converting them and focus on the remastering techniques. The problem is a lot of these documentaries that look so incredible in '4k', also look so incredible at 1080p.
I've seen some of this new content at 1080p and you'd think you were watching 4k because of how well it was mastered.

Mastering techniques at this point are more important than resolution, even though resolution still matters (more if you sit closer).

The biggest beneficiaries for 4k are gamers, for sure, but you almost need NATIVE 4k for the full benefit with that.
I am kind of with you all the way and i think we view a lot of stuff the same way.
I just wouldnt set my hopes high for the next 4 years at least ;
The basic native contrast of dlp is just flat out to low. It just kills all darker scenes and makes the picture flat for most normal scenes. We tend to forget it.
Even stuff like hw40es is imo far from good enough and the grey cloud is over all dark scenes.
Then comes the color challenges. If you are a little picky here the calibrated luhmens from the likes of uhz65 gets you down to jvc level anyway.
It just isnt easy. You cant have your cake and eat it. And even waiting is more than 2 years.
Look at history. When did the first 4k sony arive? ...still expensive. Jvc...still expensive and at 1080 if you dont fork out 35k. And get less than highest end contrast in the process.

You can always want more darkness contrast sharpness what not. In my dark living room this 5500 is fairly well balanced.
If i could pay for extra i would tilt for some lower noise at high lamp setting or generally just more luhmens for hdr. But it works fine and i wouldnt trade contrast for luhmens as it is.

Btw. Regarding mastering I remember listening to some audio chesky record on very low bitrate as they were trying to sell the 24 bit 96KHz stuff. Heck this 128kbit audio sounded like a million out the gate. Mastering have always been boss be it video or audio.

Last edited by krumme; 01-23-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #1733 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, please under $5k
If DLP can do it for that price, I would hope JVC can for the RS440 replacement. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-23-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #1734 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
With the 57 and 640, I also looked at some 4K sources, using an HD Fury Integral on the 57.
Apologies if this is a very basic question, but does this HD Fury Integral device provide any benefit for 'newer' projectors, such as the RS420? Or is it only beneficial to older models that lack certain features (e.g., proper HDCP)? I've seen it mentioned occasionally on this thread, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it's specific use-case scenario. Also, with the hand-shaking issues that seem to be prevalent across many 4K HDR projectors, wouldn't adding a device in-line actual increase the likelihood of incompatibilities, and also possibly lead to audio/video lip syncing issues? Just curious. Thanks.
post #1735 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Apologies if this is a very basic question, but does this HD Fury Integral device provide any benefit for 'newer' projectors, such as the RS420? Or is it only beneficial to older models that lack certain features (e.g., proper HDCP)? I've seen it mentioned occasionally on this thread, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it's specific use-case scenario. Also, with the hand-shaking issues that seem to be prevalent across many 4K HDR projectors, wouldn't adding a device in-line actual increase the likelihood of incompatibilities, and also possibly lead to audio/video lip syncing issues? Just curious. Thanks.
The Integral would be beneficial to the newer JVCs if you planned on pairing it with a UHD blu-ray player (such as a Panasonic UB900) to output a SDR bt2020 image. The Linker will do the same, but also add the ability to use the JVCs' auto iris with HDR content. The latter would be for the RS400 thru RS620 models (the latest models allow the auto iris with HDR ootb).
post #1736 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Mastering have always been boss be it video or audio.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #1737 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
If you are a little picky here the calibrated luhmens from the likes of uhz65 gets you down to jvc level anyway.
It just isnt easy. You cant have your cake and eat it. And even waiting is more than 2 years.
Look at history. When did the first 4k sony arive? ...still expensive. Jvc...still expensive and at 1080 if you dont fork out 35k. And get less than highest end contrast in the process.

You can always want more darkness contrast sharpness what not. In my dark living room this 5500 is fairly well balanced.
If i could pay for extra i would tilt for some lower noise at high lamp setting or generally just more luhmens for hdr. But it works fine and i wouldnt trade contrast for luhmens as it is.

Btw. Regarding mastering I remember listening to some audio chesky record on very low bitrate as they were trying to sell the 24 bit 96KHz stuff. Heck this 128kbit audio sounded like a million out the gate. Mastering have always been boss be it video or audio.
I agree, it may be too long of a wait. We'll see, I'll keep waiting for as long as I can hold out.

Regarding the UHZ-65, yes, and that's if your lucky. The UHZ-65 has issues losing crud-loads of lumens if you really try to calibrate it too hard, you have to leave a bit of legroom to get those lumens. The error (for the most part) appears to be increasing blue, so it's not bad at all.

However, the UHZ-65 will dim very very slowly, whereas the JVC will keep dimming as we know. So the amount of extra lumens you have on average over the JVC is significant. Plus by raising the blue error back up, you can get to 2000+ Lumens on the UHZ-65.

My eyes could take a ton more error / increase in blue than they could of either red or green which I cannot stand. I've found a tiny error on red can be way more visible than a somewhat much larger error on blue, depending what size you're talking about.

post #1738 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I want to extend my lamp life so I try to not leave my projector on for hours when I’m not using it. However, I assume that each power off/on cycle strains the life of it as well. When I take a two hour break from watching, I wonder if it’s better for the lamp to turn it off and back on in two hours or better to just let it run. How many minutes would need to go by to make it worth turning it off and back on vs just leaving it running?
post #1739 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I want to extend my lamp life so I try to not leave my projector on for hours when I?m not using it. However, I assume that each power off/on cycle strains the life of it as well. When I take a two hour break from watching, I wonder if it?s better for the lamp to turn it off and back on in two hours or better to just let it run. How many minutes would need to go by to make it worth turning it off and back on vs just leaving it running?
I read a long time ago that powering on the bulb is when most of the wear occurs. I don't know if it's true or not. It could be "bro science" :-)

But if I have a break of an hour or two, I just leave my projector on. Assuming a replacement bulb is $500, and the bulb life I think is 4000 hours, that's 12 and a half cents an hour. Seems to be worth the $0.25 expenditure for me to leave it on for 2 hours.

-T
post #1740 of 2678 Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I want to extend my lamp life so I try to not leave my projector on for hours when I’m not using it. However, I assume that each power off/on cycle strains the life of it as well. When I take a two hour break from watching, I wonder if it’s better for the lamp to turn it off and back on in two hours or better to just let it run. How many minutes would need to go by to make it worth turning it off and back on vs just leaving it running?
Who knows exactly, there are gases that react with the electrode every time you turn a lamp off.

I leave it on generally speaking, but if I'm gone for 2+ hours, then I'll turn it off...

See the end of this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55547874

"the programmed slow shutdown process for projectors with UHP lamps doesn't just run the fans for awhile to cool down the lamp and internal components. When the projector is turned off the projector's power supply continues to feed voltage to the UHP lamp at the minimum level required to maintain an arc discharge between the lamp's electrodes in a carefully programmed transition from a lighting state to an extinguished state. A feedback circuit tells the power supply exactly how much voltage to feed the lamp at any given moment to maintain stability within the lamp which can vary throughout the shutdown process. There's a lot more sophistication in the process required to maintain UHP lamp health than most who haven't read the technical documents realize."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page